Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

acksplode posted:

People will spend so much money on a big flat screen TV and then use its tinny stereo speakers. It kills me

This drives me loving crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/11/15/black-friday-sale-at-playstation-store/

Jeez, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey $40 already? BLOPS4 $48?

Sale from Nov 16 to 26

Edit: EU gets Spider-Man on sale but US doesn’t. Bah.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 16, 2018

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

JBP posted:

My pro is so loud sometimes that I wear headphones.
I bought heavy duty noise canceling headphones for an upcoming airplane trip but I have found myself using them every time I run my PS4 Pro.

edit: that is to say I always used headphones before because I love headphones, but active noise canceling cuts out the last remaining bit of the jet engine sound coming from the PS4.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Nov 16, 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nothing has made my PS4 run as loud as Observor, the optimisation on that game is asssssss

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Bombadilillo posted:

Switch launch rules and had a steady first party major game every month or so for a year.
This is an exaggeration, they were all front loaded so the "launch window" was good but it's not like they kept it up for a year at all. After Mario it's mostly been WiiU ports.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I do like using my headphones with the PS4 but I have housemates and my console is in the living room and I don’t like coming off as antisocial

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

I do like using my headphones with the PS4 but I have housemates and my console is in the living room and I don’t like coming off as antisocial
Yeah I'm only saying that as someone who lives alone. I can't bring myself to use headphones around friends or coworkers even if I let them know and they say it's okay.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Akuma posted:

This is an exaggeration, they were all front loaded so the "launch window" was good but it's not like they kept it up for a year at all. After Mario it's mostly been WiiU ports.

They've steadily gained third party support and indie titles since launch. Unlike the WiiU, when things got VERY meager past the launch.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They've steadily gained third party support and indie titles since launch. Unlike the WiiU, when things got VERY meager past the launch.
Yeah don't get me wrong it gets great games, and that's why Nintendo pushed their big games into that first six months to get it there.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

My gf and I live together and game 100% now with headphones. It’s nice in that kind of arrangement. Doubly nice because I can avoid spoilers easily since we’re often playing through the same game.

Actually another plus I’ve noticed is that as someone with various mental issues including a complete inability to focus, headphones keep me in the game much better. Less natural distractions and taking them off to find a distraction is more work than when using the soundbar.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I wonder if the supposed titanfall 3 will be on PS4 or PS5

FF7 remake gonna be on the PS8

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I was waiting to see if there was a playstation vr offer here in the UK during Black Friday and I could get one with the starter pack, skyrim and two move controllers for £229. Or just the starter pack for £169. I only have a Slim4 and not a lot of room to mess around in sadly.

Is the slim4 more than capable of handling vr, and is the headset good at working in quite a small space? I would mostly be sat down and not able to move move anywhere. It has taken a while to save up this surplus and I am very tempted (especially after Lady VG tried one out in store and was sat down with just a DS4 for the whole time and said she loved it).

Does anyone have any advice?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I wonder if the supposed titanfall 3 will be on PS4 or PS5

iOS

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ugh

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Titanfall Go

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

I was waiting to see if there was a playstation vr offer here in the UK during Black Friday and I could get one with the starter pack, skyrim and two move controllers for £229. Or just the starter pack for £169. I only have a Slim4 and not a lot of room to mess around in sadly.

Is the slim4 more than capable of handling vr, and is the headset good at working in quite a small space? I would mostly be sat down and not able to move move anywhere. It has taken a while to save up this surplus and I am very tempted (especially after Lady VG tried one out in store and was sat down with just a DS4 for the whole time and said she loved it).

I don’t usually stand up with mine so you should be ok as long as you have a few feet between your position and the TV. Don’t know how the Slim handles it, though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I worked in a VR arcade this last year and as cool and immersive as a select handful of games have been my money is very squarely in the “this needs one or two more slight iterations before it really gets there” for me.

I will say that Superhot VR was the one example I could think of where it felt like a truly new experience and special in a way unique to the VR medium

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Titanfall Go

NO!

NO!

BAD GOON!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They already made a Titanfall ccg and a clash royale ripoff, it can only go up from there

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

VideoGames posted:

My launch console works fine with the PSVR and I’m usually sitting down with none of my VR setup in optimal positioning. It’s a lenient VR system for the most part.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

VideoGames posted:

On a serious note, I do feel there is way to much negativity online and that the majority of 'top streamers/youtubers' got famous by being overly negative and then that has an effect and perpetrates it.

Being a bit more positive is surely a good thing. For the longest time Games (this forum) has had a reputation of being the place you go to talk about a game you hate, or a console you hate. I do not agree with that and I do not like that and I am a bit protective of the forum because of it.

This thread and many others have people taking both sides about many games and that is what it should be. Likes and Dislikes. Loves and Hates.

The more passionate loves we get in all threads, the more that reputation looks ridiculous. :)

I agree, it’s really frustrating to see people write off, say, The Last Guardian, because of ‘frame drops’ that really happen very few and far between (trust me, I know exactly where and when they will happen and it’s never at a point where you need to have a perfect frame rate) and ‘omg I had to wait 20 minutes for Trico’ which isn’t bad given the game is only 12 hours including these moments and also that just gives you an excuse to just mess about and observe the absolutely unparalleled world Ueda and Gen Design created.

I bring up those two, because I don’t understand the first at all, and I can understand the second if that’s not your thing but you should’ve known that going in really.. I mean, every review praises or reduces the overall score because of it and I haven’t seen a post about the game that’s not positive that doesn’t mention the fact that Trico behaves like a real god drat animal and that’s a massive part of the appeal of the game.

In other news, Ueda confirmed they’re well underway on their next title that will be similar in scope or size to TLG and SotC. Also they’ve teamed up with Kowloon Nights, who I’ve never heard of, for the development of the game. I hope that speeds up the tech problems they might run into if they’re doing anything nearly as ambitious as creating a Trico or whatever.

Edit: Also, whoever posted that long list of things that every huge game on PS4 doesn’t do well, you can’t say Nier has shallow combat, at all. Sure it feels the same, and the game unfortunately doesn’t teach you how different it can be, but YouTube some like max difficulty like colosseum on the hardest level to see how varied the combat can get, and that’s not just with the chips either. The actual different combos you do that you’re probably not even noticing are pretty insane.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Nov 16, 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I would wait forever for any Ueda game. He is one of very very few developers who I consider a true artist in his field.

( :goonsay: !)

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I would wait forever for any Ueda game. He is one of very very few developers who I consider a true artist in his field.

This, but unironically. I mean, I bought a PS4 to play the game.. and even then the only games I was aware of that I also wanted to play were like Kingdom Hearts 3 (which I’ll still buy, but I’m not super hyped about), and like.. Final Fantasy 7 Remake lol. Then I got Bloodborne and started lurking this thread and now I have literally like 140 games (including all of the PS Plus games since like March of 2017).

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

My launch console works fine with the PSVR and I’m usually sitting down with none of my VR setup in optimal positioning. It’s a lenient VR system for the most part.

Thank you! I trust you KD so I have just made my purchase :D Should be very interesting!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The framerate in TLG legit dampened my enjoyment of it. It's not just the fact that it moves erratically, it makes the controls feel sluggish and laggy 100% of the time. The fundamental feel of the controls is one of the most undervalued aspects of any type of game, and is generally only something most people notice if they interact with an exceptionally good example - TLG completely fuckin bungles this.

I like the game, but the experience would be markedly improved with a better, or even just a loving consistent, framerate.

Imhotep posted:

Edit: Also, whoever posted that long list of things that every huge game on PS4 doesn’t do well, you can’t say Nier has shallow combat, at all. Sure it feels the same, and the game unfortunately doesn’t teach you how different it can be, but YouTube some like max difficulty like colosseum on the hardest level to see how varied the combat can get, and that’s not just with the chips either. The actual different combos you do that you’re probably not even noticing are pretty insane.

A good combat system is entirely pointless if the game doesn't require or encourage you to engage with it. Nier: Automata might as well be a Dynasty Warriors game for as much as you are expected to engage with the extremely basic enemy behaviour and the sheer volume in which you do so.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You are all terrible, awful, bad people with insistent recommendations.

I saw Yakuza 0 for cheap and bought it today, and it's all your fault, thread! :cripes:.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Imhotep posted:

This, but unironically.

I'm being totally unironic.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

VideoGames posted:

Thank you! I trust you KD so I have just made my purchase :D Should be very interesting!

Some games are noticeably...lower res. I think Monster of the Deep is the biggest culprit that I've seen so far, but I stopped caring kinda quick. A Pro would definitely be better but, eh it does the job. You'll be right.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Steve Yun posted:

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/11/15/black-friday-sale-at-playstation-store/

Jeez, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey $40 already? BLOPS4 $48?

Sale from Nov 16 to 26

Edit: EU gets Spider-Man on sale but US doesn’t. Bah.
Truly deals of the century, 50% off 120$ game editions :ironicat: Hate this recent trend which only makes me appreciate no-frills, no bullshit editions games like God of War or Spider-Man more and more.

And so despite being really excited about most games coming out this Fall, including Odyssey, RDR2 and even BLOPS4 or Fallout 76 for the first time in my life, now I don't feel like buying any of those coz just thinking about the crap pulled by these companies made me play bunch of games on PC instead. Bought Rimworld, Oxygen not Included and Divinity 2 Original Sin. See ya next year when Sekiro comes out!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yup.

That man makes me :qq:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I bought heavy duty noise canceling headphones for an upcoming airplane trip but I have found myself using them every time I run my PS4 Pro.

edit: that is to say I always used headphones before because I love headphones, but active noise canceling cuts out the last remaining bit of the jet engine sound coming from the PS4.

I use headphones when I can and it makes games so much better, but if it's a very hot day (summer here gets unbearable) or I'm just hunting animals or cruising around in RDR2 for instance I won't bother.

I also have great audioengine speakers for non-headphone times, but once again if it's late at night I won't have it up loud and when that pro fan kicks in baby is it a shock.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Imhotep posted:

Uh, you guys aren’t playing games (when you’re not using a headset to talk to friends) with surround sound or nice headphones?? What.

I wear glasses so headphones cause me considerable pain after an hour or so

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Same except I don't wear glasses but do have huge ears to go with my huge head.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

Dude just pull the arms off and tape them to your head.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JBP posted:

Dude just pull the arms off and tape them to your head.

r/lifehacks

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I got big fat headphones mostly for Bloodborne because the easiest way to notice enemies early is their audio cues. It's really brilliant how well the lack of music and the specific sounds of each enemy gives you awareness of their positioning in a very organic (and spooky) way.

But I'm also a big wuss and can't handle scary games, so I play Bloodborne and the Arkham games with happy music like the Beatles or whatever in the background. :spooky::skeltal::zoid:

It's nice because my wife can sit next to me and watch a show without being interrupted by screaming hags or "Grant us eyes! GRANT US EYES!"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zonko_T.M. posted:

It's nice because my wife can sit next to me and watch a show without being interrupted by screaming hags or "Grant us eyes! GRANT US EYES!"

My gf hates bloodborne because of the noises. She came in when I was fighting Ludwig and was like "what is wrong with you, why do you like this?" She was also a big fan of orphan's battle dialogue.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JBP posted:

what is wrong with you, why do you like this?

Good thread title

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

VideoGames posted:

I see you've already pulled the trigger, but just wanted to add that most games are absolutely fine sat down and without a tonne of space around you. The exceptions I've found so far are Superhot, which you really need to be stood up for and you'll need some space around you because sidestepping and reaching out with your arms is pretty essential, and Rick and Morty because you often have to step around a bit in order to reach things you're supposed to interact with.

Farpoint with the aim controller is also a lot more comfortable (and fun!) stood up, because of the controller, but you don't need space around you. I haven't played any other aim controller games but I assume the same thing applies.

It runs fine on a regular/slim PS4. The pro is a pretty decent performance boost for VR but it's by no means required.

Also, buy Rez. I can't recommend this enough!

re: soundchat: I have a 5.1 system and can't imagine playing video games without it. It adds so much being able to hear things from all directions or rushing past you. And it's amazing for movies, too. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Oh, cool.

RDR2 has hidden locations! I didn't know. I just found an awesome, loving creepy rear end cave behind the waterfall at Elysium Pool.

Fair warning, don't blindly leap to things because holy poo poo there are some deadfalls in there. I'm still exploring cause I've died a few times.