Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I am not a good person, and I will indulge myself in great levels of schadenfreude.... once the game do something truly stupid.
I am not seeing anything egregious that did not come from the very premise: multiplayer fallout 4 made by bethesda.

The internet has decided to hate this game, but I don't see much to hate in here. Most people criticizing the game are grasping at straws trying to find a casus belli to get angry, but theres not much.

The player stash is small, so like Destiny. Is a mmo and is made by bethesda, so is going to operate under a lower graphic profile than a singleplayer game, and with less stelar quests. Other than that is a fun game.

Do people think by itself, or let other people opinions influence what they think?

Now if somebody choosed to hate this game on a political level, like... "If this game succeed it will be bad for gaming because X, or will be bad for the fallout serie, because Y". I can understand that.

If somebody want to troll, or create a funny video of huge bugs. I love that poo poo.

The hate for this game is amped to 11th level vitriol ... and completely underserved.

On metacritic about 40% really like the game and give it a 8, 3% don't care, and 58% give it a 0. I mean, what game really deserve a 0?, maybe one that fail to install or that empty your bank account accidentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Tei posted:

I think I hosed up. Bye lady spy gear :P

The crafting option exist to re-level the item. It don't create a new one.

That's bethesda's fault, not yours. It's mmo (or pseudo-mmo) game design 101 to not have quest dead-enders like that.

Normally an issue like that would have been solved by being able to create a new mask or something. But so many quests like that have poo poo like that that which breaks if you nudge it slightly in any direction. Stuff like that would normally resolved by Q&A but this is a game with a dated janky old engine that was rushed out the door, so...yeah.

Accept the jank and move on. Until they hopefully patch that issue and you can get your spy gear.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Nov 16, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
When they first mentioned cosmetic outfits, I thought they might give us full transmogs.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
just use the console to spawn the mask

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

[nevermind]

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 16, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Gort posted:

just use the console to spawn the mask

rip tcl

2002-2018

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Turns put the mobs for an area spawn in relation to the highest player's level in that area.

I was at the ski resort as a level 24 with the area almost cleared and a level 48 showed up. Queue a ton of over leveled super mutants that spawned around me. I got ripped apart.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Floppychop posted:

Turns put the mobs for an area spawn in relation to the highest player's level in that area.

I was at the ski resort as a level 24 with the area almost cleared and a level 48 showed up. Queue a ton of over leveled super mutants that spawned around me. I got ripped apart.

We noticed that when playing thursday evening but since we had about 8+ people it was pretty great xp. The mobs were spawning at level 40-50 - it made things a lot more fun and challenging than say, boring one-hit-kill scorched. I wound up leveling up pretty fast.

We actually want to try rolling with a large group moving from zone to zone together in the future so we can get those challenging and high xp reward spawns.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Tei posted:

I am not a good person, and I will indulge myself in great levels of schadenfreude.... once the game do something truly stupid.
I am not seeing anything egregious that did not come from the very premise: multiplayer fallout 4 made by bethesda.

The internet has decided to hate this game, but I don't see much to hate in here. Most people criticizing the game are grasping at straws trying to find a casus belli to get angry, but theres not much.

The player stash is small, so like Destiny. Is a mmo and is made by bethesda, so is going to operate under a lower graphic profile than a singleplayer game, and with less stelar quests. Other than that is a fun game.

Do people think by itself, or let other people opinions influence what they think?

Now if somebody choosed to hate this game on a political level, like... "If this game succeed it will be bad for gaming because X, or will be bad for the fallout serie, because Y". I can understand that.

If somebody want to troll, or create a funny video of huge bugs. I love that poo poo.

The hate for this game is amped to 11th level vitriol ... and completely underserved.

On metacritic about 40% really like the game and give it a 8, 3% don't care, and 58% give it a 0. I mean, what game really deserve a 0?, maybe one that fail to install or that empty your bank account accidentally.

Maybe the game just isnt for everyone? I think the videos of the game are fairly dull and will wait until its much cheaper, for example. I love fallout, but probably not for the reasons people like this game

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Meanwhile I'm actually thinking that I've been leveling too fast and wish I could slow it down. I'm outleveling a lot of the areas around me and I still have a lot of stuff to explore.

I've been thinking about gimmick characters. I really really hate that your display name is your login name. First off, nobody should be able to see the actual name that you use to log in to the game, that's just a huge security risk. Second that means I can't name my characters things.

Like I was toying with the idea of being an NPC companion. Like maybe I have dialogue written out and I only respond with those lines. I let them know that I will follow them around, help them in combat, carry their stuff, and they will have to give me gear if they want me to be effective. Maybe I'll come up with some kind of companion quest.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 16, 2018

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
You can't name your character? xD

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You can, but afaik theres no way for anybody to see it except you. All my characters will always be SolidSnakesBandana

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I really really hate that your display name is your login name. First off, nobody should be able to see the actual name that you use to log in to the game, that's just a huge security risk. Second that means I can't name my characters things.

same as gently caress friend

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Tei posted:

lol

game bad, why do you have to get hung up on other ppl if you enjoy it? even posts in this thread talk about having fun in spite of the game.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I just figured out something.

A way to get wood, if you are on your camp and you need some:

Quicktravel to the vault 76. Theres a wood cutting area below, with wood cutting robots. If you ask the robots, they will give you wood, and you can get from the ones on the ground.

Quicktravel to your camp again.

Since fastravel from/to your camp and this vault is free. It cost nothing to do this.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Penpal posted:

lol

game bad, why do you have to get hung up on other ppl if you enjoy it? even posts in this thread talk about having fun in spite of the game.

I've had my fun poo poo posting because everyone is all riled up about this objectively bad game but when it inevitably goes free to play I'll probably try it out and in the meantime will enjoy people back porting the few neat cosmetics to FO4.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I will be utterly shocked if this goes F2P. It's not an MMO.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Last night I finally found other people and even though my mic wasn't working and they made fun of me for not wearing any clothes, it was still fun interacting with actual people. This game is brutal by yourself. I'm only level 4 and every bad creature swarms me with a half dozen friends, so I spend a lot of time crawling around in stealth mode like I'm Gollum or something.

The experience of playing with others was good enough to offset the myriad of other problems.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
To people having issues in the early game, just get the highest damage two hander you can find. More often than not you can two-shot things with the heavy attack even if you aren't specced for melee at all. This strategy remains effective at level 15, which I recently obtained

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
My kingdom for adhesives!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Glenn Quebec posted:

My kingdom for adhesives!

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/9xl4g1/psa_farm_your_own_adhesive_by_planting_corn/

How can I claim my kingdom?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Tei posted:

I just figured out something.

A way to get wood, if you are on your camp and you need some:

Quicktravel to the vault 76. Theres a wood cutting area below, with wood cutting robots. If you ask the robots, they will give you wood, and you can get from the ones on the ground.

Quicktravel to your camp again.

Since fastravel from/to your camp and this vault is free. It cost nothing to do this.

There's wood all over the place, but where exactly are those robots?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I'm level 16, constantly at my weight limit, and breaking my weapons from overuse left and right.

gently caress the haters, I'm having a ball.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

There's wood all over the place, but where exactly are those robots?

As you exit from the vault 76, you walk down the hill (to the south), you find find robots patrolling the area with emergency lights. You can stop these robots and ask them for help, they will give you wood.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Soooooo if you guys are over weight but down want to slow down or drop items?!??!!?! I GOT THE SOLUTION FOR YOU!

If you walk backwards it does not cost ap. And strafe walking forward regens ap.

Honestly I need little things like this to get through the Wasteland. I don’t think i would have played FO4 Survival as long as I did if I couldn’t use the companion no-carry limit bug to pick up items.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Krispy Wafer posted:

This game is brutal by yourself. I'm only level 4 and every bad creature swarms me with a half dozen friends, so I spend a lot of time crawling around in stealth mode like I'm Gollum or something.

I am really bad at videogames and I feel the opposite, like the difficulty on this game seems low to the point it feels glitched. Like fighting same level enemies seems easy to the point of not feeling right and it's only enemies that are like 5 or more levels higher that feel like fallout 3/4 normal difficulty.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Tei posted:

As you exit from the vault 76, you walk down the hill (to the south), you find find robots patrolling the area with emergency lights. You can stop these robots and ask them for help, they will give you wood.

Sometimes they're empty

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I am really bad at videogames and I feel the opposite, like the difficulty on this game seems low to the point it feels glitched. Like fighting same level enemies seems easy to the point of not feeling right and it's only enemies that are like 5 or more levels higher that feel like fallout 3/4 normal difficulty.

This is how I feel as well, but I was hoping I was just super dope nasty from playing Fallout 4 Horizon. I'm level 15 and I haven't died yet, though I came extremely close from a grenade tripwire. Also using a two-hander and acquiring a really really really good piece of legendary armor made my early game a breeze. Like this one piece of gear more than tripled my damage resistance. It gives you more DR based on your health, to around a max of 35, at level 5. Just crazy good. Even though its trivialized the early game, finding it still made me hopeful for this game. Most games have totally boring loot.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 16, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Easy way to up the early difficulty: go fisticuffs (because you missed the free loot right outside the vault). It has a cascading effect because taking longer to kill things results in taking way more damage, straining your resources.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I'm still really new at '76, so perhaps I just haven't gotten over the difficulty hump. I am out of simpacks, water, and most food and I keep getting into fights with one ghoul that turn into 4 or 5 and are quickly followed by a pile of rats. Half the time I'm stumbling around nearly dead. I've always found Fallout games scale poorly at higher levels, but are difficult AF at lower ones.

I was following a couple of higher level players for protection and scavenging. We were all in the medical center and then they left and everything respawned at the same time and I'm in no condition to fight, very carefully piecing my way through a whole mess of ghouls.

I'm weak like baby.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm still really new at '76, so perhaps I just haven't gotten over the difficulty hump. I am out of simpacks, water, and most food and I keep getting into fights with one ghoul that turn into 4 or 5 and are quickly followed by a pile of rats. Half the time I'm stumbling around nearly dead. I've always found Fallout games scale poorly at higher levels, but are difficult AF at lower ones.

I was following a couple of higher level players for protection and scavenging. We were all in the medical center and then they left and everything respawned at the same time and I'm in no condition to fight, very carefully piecing my way through a whole mess of ghouls.

I'm weak like baby.

This is how I felt on PC (where I had a rough start because I overlooked starter gear). I was so desperate for healing I drank water to regain bits of HP.

On PS4 I was drowning in ammo and guns and stimpacks. Partly because of a smoother start, but I also actually did some quests this time. (And got rewards for events i didn't i participate in)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm weak like baby.

You can play any way you want, but I found that it scales properly if you follow the main quest story lines. So like, when you exit the vault, you go down to Flatwoods and as you follow the Overseer's quest, It goes Flatwoods-->Sutton-->Morgantown-->Welch and after that I'm not sure. When you're traveling between those towns, explore what you see, do the quests that popup. Like, when you get to Morgantown, you'll a bunch of missions there, and Grafton missions that you can do nearby as well. Those will have you doing lots of exploration as well since you'll hit up a bunch of towns doing those missions. The airport area has a TON of stimpacks in those medical tents. Check everything out.

There's food everywhere. Animals, plants can all be cooked into meals. Stimpacks should only be used in emergencies.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah if you follow the main questline you level up pretty well

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

You can play any way you want, but I found that it scales properly if you follow the main quest story lines. So like, when you exit the vault, you go down to Flatwoods and as you follow the Overseer's quest, It goes Flatwoods-->Sutton-->Morgantown-->Welch and after that I'm not sure. When you're traveling between those towns, explore what you see, do the quests that popup. Like, when you get to Morgantown, you'll a bunch of missions there, and Grafton missions that you can do nearby as well. Those will have you doing lots of exploration as well since you'll hit up a bunch of towns doing those missions. The airport area has a TON of stimpacks in those medical tents. Check everything out.

There's food everywhere. Animals, plants can all be cooked into meals. Stimpacks should only be used in emergencies.

I'm off mission right now, so that's probably my problem. I got way off course and finished last night making my way back to the Overseer's camp. I'll get my mic working and try again tonight. I need to get in with a group while I'm still both weak and worthless as a PvP target. Playing Fallout in the past I've never been much of a melee player and early on this game really wants you to be a melee player, so my past tactics and techniques aren't really working here.

I got some loot when I left the Vault, but I think I missed one cache. And when I say I'm naked I'm literally naked. I'm not wearing my Vault suit and I haven't found any other clothing and only the most basic of leather and wood (!) armor.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Anyone got a good location for Ballistic Fiber? My armor is falling apart!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ymgve posted:

Anyone got a good location for Ballistic Fiber? My armor is falling apart!

Craft leather armor and break it down

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

I found an army training base run by mr. gutsys and in the barracks buildings there were bags with ballistic fiber.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
I’m an antisocial creep and when my buddies aren’t online, I really just want to explore the world alone. It sucks coming up on a quest area that has recently been cleared out by GooberD00D69.

But I’m still having fun and this is the first open world game since Skyrim to really suck me in. Without noticing, I always end up playing hours longer than I intend. And I hated Fallout 4.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UL7wvMxWIs

I still don't know why they attacked me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Namaer posted:

I found an army training base run by mr. gutsys and in the barracks buildings there were bags with ballistic fiber.

Where's this?

edit: Any website have a good map for this game yet?