Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

When does the revolution start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
As soon as anyone has a clue what they want or how to somehow make it avoid all politicians.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Things can start to get better now.

In America, the Democratic Party's recent triumphs have begun to seal the breach in the metaphysical sewer of evil which your people opened when you fractured the face of world sanity with the brexit vote.

If the Democratic Party could flip all those hardcore republican seats over to themselves in the face orange judas at the height of his power, there might just be hope for prime minister Jeremy Corbyn.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

only to those that fear the guillotine

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
I was talking with a friend in the UK about what their plans for a No Deal Brexit were, and they said food wise theyre gonna have it sent to them through private/personal mail from friends abroad and take the shipping costs, they said they can afford it. How reasonable is their plan? I know No Deal will wreck a lot of things but I think mail isnt one of them since international mail is regulated by the UN iirc.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Communist Zombie posted:

I was talking with a friend in the UK about what their plans for a No Deal Brexit were, and they said food wise theyre gonna have it sent to them through private/personal mail from friends abroad and take the shipping costs, they said they can afford it. How reasonable is their plan? I know No Deal will wreck a lot of things but I think mail isnt one of them since international mail is regulated by the UN iirc.

Still has to go through customs. I thought the entire point was that in the case of a no deal brexit everything currently not inspected coming from the EU would have to be inspected and subject to closer scrutiny so all shipments from abroad would be significantly slowed?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Communist Zombie posted:

Gotta find ports to ship it in through and roads to transport it, given that all our interfaces with the outside world will basically implode.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Still has to go through customs. I thought the entire point was that in the case of a no deal brexit everything currently not inspected coming from the EU would have to be inspected and subject to closer scrutiny so all shipments from abroad would be significantly slowed?

yeah it’ll essentially mean a fraction of what goes through the ports today would make it through in a reasonable time frame, which is disastrous for just in time manufacturing (which ironically may force more local production and reduced carbon footprint in transport costs)

plus the postie would half inch any good stuff

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
Could potentially work, the food would still take a long time to get in but at least they wouldn't be fighting anyone else for it. Don't order anything perishable though

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
Also yeah, avoid anything that is easily identifiable as food

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Jel Shaker posted:

yeah it’ll essentially mean a fraction of what goes through the ports today would make it through in a reasonable time frame, which is disastrous for just in time manufacturing (which ironically may force more local production and reduced carbon footprint in transport costs)

Or just shut the factories

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Communist Zombie posted:

I was talking with a friend in the UK about what their plans for a No Deal Brexit were, and they said food wise theyre gonna have it sent to them through private/personal mail from friends abroad and take the shipping costs, they said they can afford it. How reasonable is their plan?
Fairly unrealistic since if there is a no deal brexit, working poor Royal Mail employees will chab any and all food coming into the country by post, and have statutory immunity so you're not going to get it back.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

hobbesmaster posted:

One of James "Galaxy" O'Brien's regular callers is a courier who works on same day contracts to and from France and Belgium, and said courier says that on a good day a shipment which requires inspection can clear customs in an hour, but it's usually two or three hours to get through. Now imagine the hundreds of lorries that leave the UK through Dover needing to clear customs just to get onto a ferry to Calais

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

hakimashou posted:

Things can start to get better now.

In America, the Democratic Party's recent triumphs have begun to seal the breach in the metaphysical sewer of evil which your people opened when you fractured the face of world sanity with the brexit vote.

If the Democratic Party could flip all those hardcore republican seats over to themselves in the face orange judas at the height of his power, there might just be hope for prime minister Jeremy Corbyn.

gently caress off idiot

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Is it possible that you guys might just go "actually, leaving the EU was a terrible idea let's not do it"

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
anything's possible including doing that but dutch and german firms that have spent a lot of money prepping for brexit saying "Article 50 isn't revocable you idiots get in the article 49 queue. wastemen.".

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hakimashou posted:

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1061689011259944960

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/Pottell/status/1063016518924021761

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Grondoth posted:

Is it possible that you guys might just go "actually, leaving the EU was a terrible idea let's not do it"

death is certain

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Grondoth posted:

Lose face or roll the dice and up the stakes?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Grondoth posted:

Well, the EU officially kicked them out I think, so they also have to beg to be let back in.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/chunkymark/status/1062797573302480897

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Grondoth posted:

It's more possible than it was yesterday. Most of the technocrats in the EU seems broadly supportive, and it's possible we can unilaterally revoke a59, but if we can't, I imagine the other member states will take the chance to beat some concessions (the rebate) out of us.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

tarbrush posted:

It's more possible than it was yesterday. Most of the technocrats in the EU seems broadly supportive, and it's possible we can unilaterally revoke a59, but if we can't, I imagine the other member states will take the chance to beat some concessions (the rebate) out of us.

Worth remembering that's we've done some damage to ourselves already. E.g the European Medicines Agency used to be headquartered in London, but since voting for Brexit it's been reassigned elsewhere in the EU. I assume that even if we revoke A50 (which other EU countries have suggested we could do) that move won't get reversed, and we've still lost out on all these perks until the next time they come up for bids.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
It'd be pretty funny to watch rich people shorting the pound get bollocked

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Heavy_D posted:

Worth remembering that's we've done some damage to ourselves already. E.g the European Medicines Agency used to be headquartered in London, but since voting for Brexit it's been reassigned elsewhere in the EU. I assume that even if we revoke A50 (which other EU countries have suggested we could do) that move won't get reversed, and we've still lost out on all these perks until the next time they come up for bids.

Oh yeah, obviously. The banking authority too. Possibly a branch of the European patent Court (that for whatever hosed up reason we're still signed up for)

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

jBrereton posted:

As soon as anyone has a clue what they want or how to somehow make it avoid all politicians.

what if we want is all politicians to be hit by meteors

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8QOE-IWo3I

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Yinlock posted:

what if we want is all politicians to be hit by meteors

I would be okay with meteorites. For a rock to be a meteor, it can't hit the earth, so you'd need an incredibly shallow angle to get them.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

prefect posted:

I would be okay with meteorites. For a rock to be a meteor, it can't hit the earth, so you'd need an incredibly shallow angle to get them.

perfect, the meteor will carry them back into space and make cleanup a snap

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/rickburin/status/1063171702002204672

https://twitter.com/Pottell/status/1063057301635059717

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

so to sum up what I know of the tory brexit plan

- Realize you got played hard
- Wait for the EU to come begging to you to stay
- This doesn't happen
- Hope a plan that both lets you brexit AND fixes everything will magically appear in your office one morning
- This doesn't happen
- Bravely announce that you're going forward with your brexit strategy, which is still nothing

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/gothytim/status/1063403458315919361

There will be adequate death.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Only that last bit is right

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
There will be adequate bisto

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1063023370198044672

What language are these people speaking?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

low english

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLMrHRuhxO4

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Yinlock posted:

so to sum up what I know of the tory brexit plan

- Realize you got played hard
- Wait for the EU to come begging to you to stay
- This doesn't happen
- Hope a plan that both lets you brexit AND fixes everything will magically appear in your office one morning
- This doesn't happen
- Bravely announce that you're going forward with your brexit strategy, which is still nothing

You missed out "manoeuvre for party leadership out of habit", but otherwise yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Dylan Moran has described May as someone who looks like her face is constantly trying to escape her body.

I'll creep through a hedge