Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

People on my feed in Ireland are sharing things about "I don't want MY TAXES to pay for ABORTION" because they're finally getting around to repealing dumb laws over here.

What's some good arguments to explain that you don't get to be mad about taxes being spent on other people's medical procedures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Seedge posted:

People on my feed in Ireland are sharing things about "I don't want MY TAXES to pay for ABORTION" because they're finally getting around to repealing dumb laws over here.

What's some good arguments to explain that you don't get to be mad about taxes being spent on other people's medical procedures

There's no point, they are idiots.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Seedge posted:

Other than that that's just how taxes work? If everyone got to choose how their tax money was spent, it wouldn't be taxes it would be donations.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Seedge posted:

I bet any money trying to maintain anti abortion laws costs more than just letting women do what the gently caress they want.

Most countries defaulted to outlawing abortion when it became a thing, and it resulted in poverty, death, and crime, all of which cost the tax payer (and you know, people die or live horrid lives). Welfare works much the same way. A homeless person costs more than putting that person on welfare.

EvilGenius has a new favorite as of 14:33 on Nov 16, 2018

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Wait for them to die in 10 years lol

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

Also they lost, they don't need convincing because tough poo poo, you're paying rear end hole.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Tell them they need to leave Ireland before it gets worse and they have to pay taxes on other things they don't like.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Wow can’t imagine what it’s like to pay taxes on something o don’t want like a visit from the pope that cost the taxpayer millions and no one went to

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

And that was funding something that killed hundreds of babies and threw them in a septic tank

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

EmmyOk posted:

Wow can’t imagine what it’s like to pay taxes on something o don’t want like a visit from the pope that cost the taxpayer millions and no one went to

What if Ireland seized all Catholic Church properties, considering that it is a criminal organization mostly focused on sex crimes and the covering up thereof, and use that to create an abortion fund? That way no tax dollars will go to waste! :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SpacePig posted:

Wasn't this also basically Home Economics before school budgets got slashed to hell?

My high school used home ec to make all the pumpkin rolls for our fundraiser. There was a month in 2006 where 5 days a week I went to class and either made the cream filling or the pumpkin cake. If there was cake you spent the class making filling and if there was filling you made cake. And there were 4 or 5 other classes doing the same thing

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SpacePig posted:

Wasn't this also basically Home Economics before school budgets got slashed to hell?

That and health class. I got some of those; sewing, basic cooking, and first aid but even those were rushed and pretty half assed. Like was said it costs money and more importantly it doesn't improve your score on the standardized test so it gets cut first.

Which is absurd because knowing how to sew a button, change a tire, do you taxes, and stop the bleeding really are essential skills. I haven't had to diagram a sentence since high school but I spent more time doing that then those essential things all combined.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That and health class. I got some of those; sewing, basic cooking, and first aid but even those were rushed and pretty half assed. Like was said it costs money and more importantly it doesn't improve your score on the standardized test so it gets cut first.

Which is absurd because knowing how to sew a button, change a tire, do you taxes, and stop the bleeding really are essential skills. I haven't had to diagram a sentence since high school but I spent more time doing that then those essential things all combined.

In elementary school high-stakes standardized testing even killed traditional subjects like Social Studies. If it wasn't on the test (and Social Studies was omitted from ours for the first couple of years) it got pushed aside for more important core classes. You still had Social Study standards to teach, but you had to integrate them in with other subjects. So a 1st grade math lesson where you talk about folk hero John Henry and add up how many railroad ties he can bend. Which honestly isn't a bad way to teach the subject, except there's only so much you can do to combine Math and History.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Hey kids, how many slaves does Thomas Jefferson own if he has one mistress with five illegitimate children, and another six slaves he bought on the free market?

PBS did not return my demo tape.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

SpacePig posted:

Yes. Also I love how in all of those terrible memes, half or more of the poo poo in them is just poo poo no one needs to do anymore. "why don't we teach kids to balance a checkbook or change oil anymore??" well grandma, it's because no one under 80 writes checks & I can see all the transactions I've ever made from this handy app on my phone, and I'd rather spend the extra $2 on an oil change that proves I've been taking care of my car than do it myself.

What I'd like to see for a class in primary school is how to fact check and properly use a search engine.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

SpacePig posted:

Yeah, I did all this except the car stuff in junior high. We had home ec AND shop as mandatory classes. But that was small town Canada in the 90s. I have no clue what it's like now.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I pay my rent and electric with checks because neither has a functional website to do that. Other than that yeah, no checks. I never balance my checkbook because I can just go to my bank website and see how much money I have. If no erroneous transactions are on the list I can just go "yup looks right." That one I get.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Tell them they need to leave Ireland before it gets worse and they have to pay taxes on other things they don't like.

Isn't it super easy to dodge taxes in ireland due to some dumbass broken tax code?

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
I doubt there's a single utility company in the UK that would even attempt to run without online billing. That's insane.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Competent programmers cost money and paying them makes the shareholders very sad.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

EvilGenius posted:

I doubt there's a single utility company in the UK that would even attempt to run without online billing. That's insane.
that and also UK banks live in the 21st century so free instant transfer of money has been a thing for like 12 years

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

nerdz posted:

Isn't it super easy to dodge taxes in ireland due to some dumbass broken tax code?

No? I mean if you can get me details that'd be great but unless you're rich or an american multinational dodging taxes is as hard here as anywhere.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

nerdz posted:

Only for multinationals, really. Belgium is also a tax haven for companies, especially if they set up an HQ in brussels. An effective tax rate of 0-5%, but the average Joe is still paying 45+% income tax

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Mak0rz posted:

This class already exists, aunt. It's called "Looking poo poo Up on YouTube"

:byodood: "why should my tax dollars be forced to pay to teach other people to be functional contributors to society" is what the same old people scream.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.
It's "super easy" if you can easily set up two international subsidiary companies headquartered in Ireland, and the taxes you're dodging are corporate income taxes.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Pieces of Peace posted:

It's "super easy" if you can easily set up two international subsidiary companies headquartered in Ireland, and the taxes you're dodging are corporate income taxes.

Did you not read the article you linked? The double irish is dead and has been for years.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It’s not easy to dodge taxes. Your employer does all your tax for you. It is however designed to lure in tech multinationals with insane tax breaks

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yawgmoth posted:

well grandma, it's because no one under 80 writes checks

Yeah put me in the pile of 'I lived in the UK and didn't touch a check since the 90s, but now I'm in the US and ugggggggh I have to deal with these things again'.

Also due to my naivete of the drat things, someone stole a check I'd already cashed, scribbled out the part on the back where I wrote that it was deposited and somehow convinced a teller that it was perfectly legit for him to have a check in someone elses in name with something scratched out and deposited it again. And so the bank took the money from my account, and told to me to go swivel. Yay, two weeks wages gone.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/travis_view/status/1063471260095590400

This is Good for Bitcoin.

e: lol a different type of microwave mom
https://twitter.com/DorothyScales2/status/1062912869921120256

zoux has a new favorite as of 17:58 on Nov 16, 2018

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Competent programmers cost money and paying them makes the shareholders very sad.

So does all your customers flocking to the guys that know how to use computers, surely?

Also, just use incompetent ones like everybody else.

EvilGenius has a new favorite as of 18:20 on Nov 16, 2018

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

This is a good mom.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
"I was just pretending to be retarded, mom!"

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The girl's avatar on the turkey prank is almost perfect for that post. The most shocking element is someone that young being called Dorothy, mind.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I mean, technically, it’s court precedent that Trump blocking people on Twitter abridges the 1A right to petition.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Also due to my naivete of the drat things, someone stole a check I'd already cashed, scribbled out the part on the back where I wrote that it was deposited and somehow convinced a teller that it was perfectly legit for him to have a check in someone elses in name with something scratched out and deposited it again. And so the bank took the money from my account, and told to me to go swivel. Yay, two weeks wages gone.
I’ve seen banks accept checks with loving white-out on them. And while a receiving bank is (usually) supposed to refuse presentation of a paid item and tell the sending bank they’re being conned, plenty of places are lazy and let the transaction go through.

gently caress your bank, switch to a credit union.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It managed to take 3 banks to gently caress this up... BOA were the ones who accepted the stolen check, TD were the ones who decided to pull the funds from my account (my boss noticed a double spend, told them to pull the new one thinking it was just an error, and they pulled mine instead) and my bank (Suntrust) were the ones that said they had my back and would sort it out, then didn't.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I lost my debit card and didn't notice for a day or two and someone used it to buy a couple hundred bucks worth of stuff, in the middle of this I used it online. Told my credit union and they just printed out a list of recent purchases told me to mark the ones that weren't mine and the money was back in my account within 2 days I think.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Update on exorcist man.
https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/1063427984860868608

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Rod drehers mailbag gives me life