Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I'm willing to put Robot Spine Money $35 on this.

:toxx: If Christian wins, I will buy :blindside: :toxx:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
OH MY GOD THEY DID A SPLIT ON A MINORITY VOTE AND IT WAS THE RIGHT PLAY :vince:

Seriously, that is some next level strategy right there. Insane!

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I was pretty down on this season but watched the last couple of episodes back to back and it's really picked up now. drat that was good, that was a total shock seeing John getting voted out, I'll probably have to watch that again...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

STAC Goat posted:

Nick, Davie, and Christian voted for John. So I'd guess that they set it up ahead of time? At least enough to let Christian know to vote John.

Yea, Davie most certainly told Christian that he had an idol at some point before tribal. It's the only way the vote makes sense.

But the next level thinking there, is they also had to assume that a Goliath would have an idol and play it for Angelina to change the vote up.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
What was great about this episode was that everyone played nearly perfectly under their circumstances. Sure the Davids played their side fantastically. But you can't fault Dan for playing his idol for Angelina. With only a 7-5 advantage the Goliaths couldn't really split their vote neatly so it made sense to dogpile. Alec and Mike chose not to flip and reasoned out why it was a smart idea to take out a David next. Even though Alec had to stick with his alliance, he fed information to his other alliance to give them the opportunity to save themselves. Even John, the boot, did nothing wrong and was playing an excellent social game up to that point.

The only way for anyone to have played better would be for Dan to whip out his second idol for John. But that would be next level 4D chess gameplay.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Mike White is getting on my loving nerves, and I'll tell you why. If you listen to his confessionals, you'll notice that he only ever talks about "the experience," "going further," and "making it to the end." I have yet to hear the word "win" come out of his mouth, and you know why that is? Because he can't win, and he loving knows it. He's a famous loving screenwriter and nobody there is giving him another million dollars. But he's not content to just have his experience and let it end when it ends, oh no; he wants to be nothing less than a zero vote finalist, and he is willing to knowingly kill any potential excitement the season has in order to accomplish that end. He's all of the worst qualities of last season's Laurel and Kellyn combined; playing to make it as far as possible with an endgame he knows he is destined to lose because he is unwilling to take risks, and beating the Original Tribe Strong drum and actively trying to ensure a boring season despite allegedly being a fan. I mean, say what you want about Kellyn, but she was at least doing what she thought was best in pursuit of winning the game. Mike is willing to screw over his allies and the audience to ensure his Survivor Experience™ lasts as long as possible. It sucks, he sucks, I'm glad his plan failed and I hope he gets voted the gently caress out for it. :byewhore:

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
Thought Dan wasn't going to give her the idol then immediately get voted out.

Big Davie fan after that. Hope him and Nick make it to the end.

freeman fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 15, 2018

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

freeman posted:

Thought Dan wasn't going to give her the idol then immediately get voted out.

Big Davie fan after that. Hope him and Nick make it to the end.

I was hoping for the same thing. It would've been suicidal from a Jury management perspective but funny none the less.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

ApplesandOranges posted:

When the Davids were talking about 'who should we target'? there was a brief moment where they cut to John and I got slightly worried. Should have known that something screwy was about to happen.

I... was not expecting Dan to save Angelina, actually. This could be the start of something. It doesn't hurt him too badly since he has a second idol, I guess.
Yeah, there was also a line they left in about how the Davids wanted to weaken Dan. After that line I expected some follow-up about changing the target off Angelina, and I guess there was although they didn't show it.

I think part of the reason Davie played that idol might be because I don't think it was as secret as we were led to believe. I've seen along the way several mentions of how people thought he had an idol. And of course they obviously ended up planning to use it and do that vote split, but Nick sure pulled off a pretty good shocked look. Anyway, what a perfect idol play, reversing the game from a 7-5 deficit to a 6-5 advantage after the vote steal.

Imagine how awkward that would've been if Dan held onto his idol when Angelina survived and they went back to camp. Even if she had the most votes it would've been defensible to let her go down since the Goliaths would still have numbers, as far as they knew. At least now for Dan he has the idol target off his back a bit, and still has an idol.

ApplesandOranges posted:

What was great about this episode was that everyone played nearly perfectly under their circumstances. Sure the Davids played their side fantastically. But you can't fault Dan for playing his idol for Angelina. With only a 7-5 advantage the Goliaths couldn't really split their vote neatly so it made sense to dogpile. Alec and Mike chose not to flip and reasoned out why it was a smart idea to take out a David next. Even though Alec had to stick with his alliance, he fed information to his other alliance to give them the opportunity to save themselves. Even John, the boot, did nothing wrong and was playing an excellent social game up to that point.

The only way for anyone to have played better would be for Dan to whip out his second idol for John. But that would be next level 4D chess gameplay.
If the Goliaths had the idol nullifier it would have ruined all of this!! Bad item!!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

if the Goliaths would have just targeted like Carl there would any of this have happened? Alec might not bother leaking to Nick in that case. Mike White (he's never just Mike he's only Mike White) blew it!! And Gabby initially blew it by publicly melting down at Tribal with blatant disregard for her supposed alliance

Spergatory posted:

Mike White is getting on my loving nerves, and I'll tell you why. If you listen to his confessionals, you'll notice that he only ever talks about "the experience," "going further," and "making it to the end." I have yet to hear the word "win" come out of his mouth, and you know why that is? Because he can't win, and he loving knows it. He's a famous loving screenwriter and nobody there is giving him another million dollars. But he's not content to just have his experience and let it end when it ends, oh no; he wants to be nothing less than a zero vote finalist, and he is willing to knowingly kill any potential excitement the season has in order to accomplish that end. He's all of the worst qualities of last season's Laurel and Kellyn combined; playing to make it as far as possible with an endgame he knows he is destined to lose because he is unwilling to take risks, and beating the Original Tribe Strong drum and actively trying to ensure a boring season despite allegedly being a fan. I mean, say what you want about Kellyn, but she was at least doing what she thought was best in pursuit of winning the game. Mike is willing to screw over his allies and the audience to ensure his Survivor Experience™ lasts as long as possible. It sucks, he sucks, I'm glad his plan failed and I hope he gets voted the gently caress out for it. :byewhore:
I'm not sure about this. It's not his fault he's kind of famous, and I think he could still win, although his equity was better before all this happened.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah the Goliaths targeting Davie or Carl would have made for an easy vote since Alec wouldn't have spilled the beans. But it would have been very difficult to persuade them to shift the target off Christian for a second vote in a row when he's clearly a huge threat.

Now though, he might actually taken some heat off himself, because Davie and Nick just had their threat level increased and nobody should want to sit next to either of them at the end, either.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

as a matter of fact I think Nick did everything behind the scenes (secret information from Alec, it was Davey who played his idol, for Christian) so his threat profile might not get a big boost yet despite his intimate involvement in that whole scheme. Maybe next week though if he plays the vote steal.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 15, 2018

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

SalTheBard posted:

I was hoping for the same thing. It would've been suicidal from a Jury management perspective but funny none the less.

Almost got best case scenario if he didn't give her the idol and he had to talk his way out of it after John went home.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i know most viewers hate stunt casting but honestly i would love to see johnny get another chance to play this game again.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

I'm not sure about this. It's not his fault he's kind of famous, and I think he could still win, although his equity was better before all this happened.

Okay, first, it absolutely is his fault that he is kind of famous in that he actively sought out a career in Hollywood with multiple movie and TV appearances and to say otherwise is ridiculous. Second, the most damning thing isn't that he can't win, it's that he isn't trying to. I agree that someone who is already rich probably could win the game, though it would be way more difficult. The problem with Mike is that he's already given up on winning, yet he hasn't given up quite enough. If he were playing some kind of ruthless, Boston Rob-style 'overdog crushes the little guy' game in pursuit of a million dollars he doesn't need, I would at least respect it. I wouldn't like it, but I could at least respect it. But Mike White is not trying to win. Again, listen to his confessionals. He never says anything about winning. Only about going far and making it to the end. The man is playing for third place and third place only and in the process is actively attempting to make the game as boring as possible. He's simultaneously completely selfish (in that he only cares about his Survivor Experience™ and couldn't give less of a poo poo about the audience) and not selfish enough (in that he isn't trying to WIN) and it's infuriating.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i know most viewers hate stunt casting but honestly i would love to see johnny get another chance to play this game again.

If he wants to come back I imagine he's definitely on the list of potential returnees. He played a solid game, got booted in a memorable way of no real fault of his own, was well liked in the cast and seemed well liked in the audience, and has the crossover appeal thing. He might not want to do it again. Dude's got his own successful fame career and maybe he just wanted the experience/exposure. But if he wants to go through it again he seems like an obvious option.

But this is a really good cast and I could see a lot of them returning. Christian, Nick, Angelina?, Gabby?. Maybe Davie if this is the start of something. Potentially Alec but I guess he burned his bridge. And I still feel like Allison is a big dark horse player.

I find the hypothesis of "Mike obviously isn't trying to win" to be specious and unproven. It makes perfect sense to see Christian as a threat to winning and literally every other Goliath agreed, most of whom were also in alliances with Christian.

More I find the idea that a player is "doing stuff just for the experience/TV exposure/fun of it" to not be an especially rare or offensive thing.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 15, 2018

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Spergatory posted:

I agree that someone who is already rich probably could win the game, though it would be way more difficult.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Spergatory posted:

Okay, first, it absolutely is his fault that he is kind of famous in that he actively sought out a career in Hollywood with multiple movie and TV appearances and to say otherwise is ridiculous. Second, the most damning thing isn't that he can't win, it's that he isn't trying to. I agree that someone who is already rich probably could win the game, though it would be way more difficult. The problem with Mike is that he's already given up on winning, yet he hasn't given up quite enough. If he were playing some kind of ruthless, Boston Rob-style 'overdog crushes the little guy' game in pursuit of a million dollars he doesn't need, I would at least respect it. I wouldn't like it, but I could at least respect it. But Mike White is not trying to win. Again, listen to his confessionals. He never says anything about winning. Only about going far and making it to the end. The man is playing for third place and third place only and in the process is actively attempting to make the game as boring as possible. He's simultaneously completely selfish (in that he only cares about his Survivor Experience™ and couldn't give less of a poo poo about the audience) and not selfish enough (in that he isn't trying to WIN) and it's infuriating.

So what you're trying to tell us is that you really didn't like School of Rock.

I am not really seeing what he's done to deserve all this angst. He may very well skew toward "just being happy to be out there", but he has been playing a very solid, competitive game (his move to turn against the Strike Force was his only questionable one, but even that is defensible from a few angles, I think, and at the very least shows he's playing an active, not passive, game), and offering insightful, clear confessionals. He's a net a positive on the show, for sure.

Its funny that you bring up Redemption Island Boston Rob as a respectable winner while also saying its a given that nobody will vote for Mike due to his fame. I would guess Rob is eminently more "famous" than a B/C-list screenwriter/character actor with a handful of notable acting appearances in the eyes of most contestants, but yet they had no trouble giving the worthy winner his due despite his celebrity.

There's also the fact that we've yet to have the hypothesis truly tested that a more traditional star would be denied a win due to their wealth. My sense is that one could still win if they played well enough.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 15, 2018

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Spergatory posted:

We did it folks, we found the one guy Mike White was capable of bullying in high school.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
All of Johns exit interviews have been really good. He seems like a really cool guy. I'm glad that he got the chance to be John Hennigan for awhile.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxJKYsN3F0o

Nick's commitment to not spoiling the surprise here is extremely cute

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SalTheBard posted:

All of Johns exit interviews have been really good. He seems like a really cool guy. I'm glad that he got the chance to be John Hennigan for awhile.

Link some?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SalTheBard posted:

I enjoyed that even though we all mostly agree that John didn't really do anything to get himself voted out he still basically takes responsibility for his eviction because he didn't play enough strategy with the Davids and thinks if he did they would have picked someone else. Like Rob C basically has to say "nah, I don't think you really did anything wrong" and John's just "eh, there's always something you can tweak."

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

IcePhoenix posted:

Link some?

https://ew.com/tv/2018/11/15/survivor-john-morrison-david-vs-goliath/

This has been my favorite. Most of them are similar to this one.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SalTheBard posted:

https://ew.com/tv/2018/11/15/survivor-john-morrison-david-vs-goliath/

This has been my favorite. Most of them are similar to this one.

He really does seem like just a really nice, introspective guy. Like him countering the Jeremy/Angelina "showmance" stuff by empathizing with Jeremy that his feelings were hurt. That's such a uncommon amount of maturity for Survivor contestants and comes from the guy you'd expect to not be that. Rob C ending his interview basically apologizing because he kind of expected John to be "a Jeff Kent" and was surprised by who he actually was.

And its funny that I completely forgot how much the starvation was probably affecting the guy. He makes it sound like it messed him up a little but he never showed that at all on the show. No moping, no mood swings, no drama about how much the big guy was eating.

Dude could probably do pretty well in a second go around now that he's kind of learned from his only real mistake of not spreading his game out far enough. But it sounds like it was a small miracle that he squeezed this season into his wrestling schedule.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Yeah STAC I thought it was pretty interesting interview. I have been surprised by how both of his individual immunity losses have been due to balance and the guy is a parkour master. Because he hasn't complained about not eating you tend to forget that it probably was effecting him. I was convinced that he's been throwing these challenges by stepping down as to not appear as a threat, but these interviews pretty much confirmed for me that that was not the case.

I think if John is going to do it again that they should try to get him in "2nd Chances II" or something like that because he will be a huge threat 2nd time around.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

STAC Goat posted:

I enjoyed that even though we all mostly agree that John didn't really do anything to get himself voted out he still basically takes responsibility for his eviction because he didn't play enough strategy with the Davids and thinks if he did they would have picked someone else. Like Rob C basically has to say "nah, I don't think you really did anything wrong" and John's just "eh, there's always something you can tweak."

I really appreciate John’s honest reflection. We haven’t had an exit interview like that in a while.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hated wrestleman at first, but he was definitely my least disliked Goliath by the end of it. Seems kind of like a pattern for Pro Wrestlers, or maybe you just don't hear much from the pro wrestlers who are huge dickbags irl.

Also, I'm watching season 1 right now for kicks and it's cool to see how the show has evolved and also neat because none of these people really have a frame of reference for how to play the game and poo poo yet. Also someone got voted off because some dingus is just voting in alphabetical order?!?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 16, 2018

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Khanstant posted:

I hated wrestleman at first, but he was definitely my least disliked Goliath by the end of it. Seems kind of like a pattern for Pro Wrestlers, or maybe you just don't hear much from the pro wrestlers who are huge dickbags irl.

Also, I'm watching season 1 right now for kicks and it's cool to see how the show has evolved and also neat because none of these people really have a frame of reference for how to play the game and poo poo yet. Also someone got voted off because some dingus is just voting in alphabetical order?!?

It's wild how different everything could have been based on the first season. like, if richard hadn't won the immunity challenge on day 29, or if anyone else had any idea how to play before that, or if the producers hadn't literally told them to vote stacey instead of rudy early.

also, wow, last night's tribal! i thought about it a couple times today and just grinned. I wasn't a huge fan of this early season but it's turning around

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Khanstant posted:

The show plays it like he’s a dunce but in actuality, the people who were on the other tribe were at the front of the alphabet and the people on his tribe were at the end.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Last two Erik Reichenbachs.

Merge Episode

Latest Episode

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
That dude is definitely horny for Davey

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

I know this might seem odd, but think critically about what you get out of the Survivor grand prize.

One million dollars! But more like six hundred grand after Obama is done with it.

Or, we could do the boring thing and search the 2018 federal income tax brackets. The prize is the highest at 39.6% regardless of your personal circumstances, so you take home $604,000 (holy poo poo, the multimillionaire knew his tax numbers with zeroes, go figure).

Where I live, that would buy me a very, very modest house. For a lot of people, that's maybe college for their kids and/or a new car without payments and/or the rest of their mortgage (or a house in Iowa in a cash deal, I guess).

It's a pile of cash, but that's not exactly 1% territory.

edit: I guess I'd also like to point out that even though he's famous and on TV all the time as a talented individual, wrestlers regularly get royally dryfucked, especially in the WWE. CM Punk was fired the day he married his wife (also a WWE wrestler). Their contracts make you look back at recording artists of the late 90's, thinking how lucky they were.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 16, 2018

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Propaganda Machine posted:

I know this might seem odd, but think critically about what you get out of the Survivor grand prize.

One million dollars! But more like six hundred grand after Obama is done with it.

Are Survivor winners obligated to give money to a Democratic ex-president? Yes, it does seem odd to think that Mark Burnett would insist on that.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Nov 16, 2018

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
John would be a lock-in as a returnee but as I understand his schedule is insanely packed (he had just signed onto a new deal right when he got the call and they had to bend over backwards to give him the time to come do Survivor). So him returning would be if schedules aligned more than desire.

Also apparently he had applied once before but he did it really badly (he narrated his video in a German accent). Since then he actually watched a bunch of seasons and knew how the game worked.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Propaganda Machine posted:

edit: I guess I'd also like to point out that even though he's famous and on TV all the time as a talented individual, wrestlers regularly get royally dryfucked, especially in the WWE. CM Punk was fired the day he married his wife (also a WWE wrestler). Their contracts make you look back at recording artists of the late 90's, thinking how lucky they were.

I said that same thing to a friend who was convinced John was too wealthy to win. I explained to her that John was never really a top WWE guy and that he probably made way less than she thought. I think according to Forbes he was worth $4.5 million asst the end off his 10 year WWE run and now he's friendly worth simmering like $1.5 million. Nothing to scoff at but like toy said not the 1%.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Binary Logic posted:

Are Survivor winners obligated to give money to a Democratic ex-president? Yes, it does seem odd to think that Mark Burnett would insist on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIQGWY0woy0

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Binary Logic posted:

Yes. It's the "Jeff Kent" tax.

e:f,b.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

ApplesandOranges posted:

John would be a lock-in as a returnee but as I understand his schedule is insanely packed (he had just signed onto a new deal right when he got the call and they had to bend over backwards to give him the time to come do Survivor). So him returning would be if schedules aligned more than desire.

Also apparently he had applied once before but he did it really badly (he narrated his video in a German accent). Since then he actually watched a bunch of seasons and knew how the game worked.

Nothing more kayfabe than giving a guy an "injury" and keeping him off TV for three months. Put another way:

https://mobile.twitter.com/hulkhogan/status/125437560418865152?lang=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Spergatory posted:

This is one of the weirdest takes on a contestant I've seen in quite a while.

There's something really funny about calling one of the contestants "selfish" in a game with only one winner.