Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rynoto posted:

Buy slaves, genemod them to be delicious, turn around and sell their offspring to unscrupulous exotic food eaters. A corporation focused on being the galaxy's largest exotic restaurant chain with many unique varieties to choose from.

Nessus posted:

You say this and I immediately envision a theme pack designed around major food celebrities, Iron Chefs, etc.

The Restaurant At The Center Of The Universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

McSpanky posted:

The Restaurant At The Center Of The Universe
The dark devouring heart of Flavortown.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Nessus posted:

The dark devouring heart of Flavortown.
Welp, that's my first megacorp sorted.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Dareon posted:

Welp, that's my first megacorp sorted.

Do it as a bunch of raiders: "Flavour Khans".

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Rynoto posted:

Buy slaves, genemod them to be delicious, turn around and sell their offspring to unscrupulous exotic food eaters. A corporation focused on being the galaxy's largest exotic restaurant chain with many unique varieties to choose from.

Rupture Farms lives again

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1063433831921999873

Itshappening.gif

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
The Surviving Mars expansion just came out!
I don't have nearly as much free time as I would need to play either it or Stellaris as much as I want as is.
:negative:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
So announcement on the 19th/20th, release on the week of the 3rd giving two weeks of bugfixing before Christmas breaks? :shobon:

Groetgaffel posted:

I don't have nearly as much free time as I would need to play either it or Stellaris as much as I want as is.
How is it as a game? I ended up passing because I wasn't liking the faux-60s aesthetic.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

PittTheElder posted:

I don't understand why I'd ever want to sell a whole pop for only 500 energy credits.

This was a while ago, but you're thinking in an old tiles way. Pop does not equal income in the new system. You will end up with unemployed pops - turning those into cash can be a great deal.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Splicer posted:

So announcement on the 19th/20th, release on the week of the 3rd giving two weeks of bugfixing before Christmas breaks? :shobon:

How is it as a game? I ended up passing because I wasn't liking the faux-60s aesthetic.

Announcement is on the 20th of November, so 20th December is my guess.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

So they are announcing when they will announce MegaCorp's release date?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

So they are announcing when they will announce MegaCorp's release date?

Xenonion News Network - Yesterday's News Tomorrow! Hopefully it's the actual release date being announced.

Also, more changes to the planet screen:
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1063387093756448768

They really should do more like this, or have the picture change depending on that districts/buildings are present. Add some variety to the game.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Splicer posted:

It's a lot better now than at launch. Being paradox published it's got a number of good free updates.

Very good with scaling difficulty, so if you want it to just be a chill city builder on Mars it can be, or you can crank the difficulty up to 500% and watch your little colony die as it runs out of every important resource at once.

Anyway, here's the thread for it. Probably better to ask in there.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Xenonion News Network - Yesterday's News Tomorrow! Hopefully it's the actual release date being announced.

They really should do more like this, or have the picture change depending on that districts/buildings are present. Add some variety to the game.
Yup. There's a bunch of ways you could do composite planet images that change based on what you built, and most of them are pretty straightforward to program, but anything good would be a metric fuckton of extra art and design.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The Ground combat UI has also changed - there's less wasted space on things that don't have a gameplay effect (the space/air/ground layers) and instead it's 5 big areas for armies to hang out in that actually matter (2x disengaged, 2x reserves 1x frontline).

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Groetgaffel posted:

Allows the expansion to colonize other places, like Titan or Pluto? Until Surviving Mars gets that far, I'll pass. :colbert:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
They showed off some ground combat in yesterday's dev clash stream but I wasn't able to pay close attention to it while at work and didn't have a chance to rewatch it when I got home. The screen did look a little less cluttered but at the same time some weird bug hit and someone lost a planet while combat was still ongoing or something.

Oddly, when I left twitch running by itself it looped over to the very first 2.2 dev stream where Wiz was talking about his ambitions for the patch. One of the changes he was talking about was that the combat window was to become more 'visual', where you see your dudes fly in and fight on the screen itself rather than just circles that count down. Wonder if they'll actually get around to that in time or not.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1063500364245282816

I dunno how to embed tweets, but this is the new ground combat ui

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TheCog posted:

I dunno how to embed tweets
Good news!

Also that looks way better, even though it's just the same info presented more intuitively.

I wonder if there'll need to be a rebalancing of +resource traits since you'll have a lower proportion of pops gathering any one resource.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TheCog posted:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1063500364245282816

I dunno how to embed tweets, but this is the new ground combat ui

https://twitter.com/spacer176/status/1063513499744251904

:lol:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Splicer posted:

Good news!

Note that the Awful App will not automatically embed a tweet, it will just display the link.

Desktop browser should convert it to a tweet though.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Note that the Awful App will not automatically embed a tweet, it will just display the link.

Desktop browser should convert it to a tweet though.

My Awful app will embed tweets because I turned it on in the settings, but my desktop will not embed tweets because Firefox tracking protection blocks it. :v:

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

DatonKallandor posted:

This was a while ago, but you're thinking in an old tiles way. Pop does not equal income in the new system. You will end up with unemployed pops - turning those into cash can be a great deal.

Aren't slave jobs uncapped? The idea of unemployed slaves is pretty bizarre.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

looking forward to being a robust slave market participant to clean up this excess.

Can you directly sell the unemployed or do you just have to sell slaves and let the unemployed take their place?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Splicer posted:

Good news!

Also that looks way better, even though it's just the same info presented more intuitively.

I wonder if there'll need to be a rebalancing of +resource traits since you'll have a lower proportion of pops gathering any one resource.

The only thing I don't like about that display is that there is enough room to pull all 8 armies in a single line, but they are instead double stacked.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Even though ground combat is still just a "dump troops and forget about it", that interface is way way better. I imagine it's step one in a potential re-fleshing out of ground combat.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Splicer posted:

Yup. There's a bunch of ways you could do composite planet images that change based on what you built, and most of them are pretty straightforward to program, but anything good would be a metric fuckton of extra art and design.

Sexy Planets DLC is coming

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

binge crotching posted:

The only thing I don't like about that display is that there is enough room to pull all 8 armies in a single line, but they are instead double stacked.
I was wondering if that was deliberate, to prevent an impression that each army was duking it out with its opposite like some kind of old timey musket formation.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I like it because it's compact but not jammed together with everything overlapping in a tiny bar the way it is now. Having it run down the entire page is ugly and unnecessary.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Nessus posted:

You say this and I immediately envision a theme pack designed around major food celebrities, Iron Chefs, etc.

As long as this adds an 'outfit' option for each race that has a big chef hat I'm all in.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Splicer posted:

I was wondering if that was deliberate, to prevent an impression that each army was duking it out with its opposite like some kind of old timey musket formation.

You mean you don’t march line abreast at your enemy until you’re in range and then start exchanging volleys of laser musketfire in a civilized manner?

Do you just run around randomly killing each other like savages!?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

There being some sort of diplomatic "genteel war agreement" that provides other bonuses in exchange for ground combat penalties because your troops are forming lines of battle with laser muskets would be pretty great thematically. Some sort of unity/influence bonus as you're more 'civilized' than other empires, but you take larger troop losses against anyone not running 'genteel war' as well. Might be able to extend that to space combat as well.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You mean you don’t march line abreast at your enemy until you’re in range and then start exchanging volleys of laser musketfire in a civilized manner?

Do you just run around randomly killing each other like savages!?
We drop down using multiple, simultaneous and devastating defensive offensive deep strikes!

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
It would be pretty cool if invading xenomorph armies didn't show up on the screen at all, and the defending armies just mysteriously took damage every once in a while. If you do successfully defend the world the victory screen popup says 'we think we killed all the invaders... but there's only one way to be sure.'

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

ZypherIM posted:

There being some sort of diplomatic "genteel war agreement" that provides other bonuses in exchange for ground combat penalties because your troops are forming lines of battle with laser muskets would be pretty great thematically. Some sort of unity/influence bonus as you're more 'civilized' than other empires, but you take larger troop losses against anyone not running 'genteel war' as well. Might be able to extend that to space combat as well.

The invader is already being really generous by not using their space superiority to wipe anybody hostile off the planet. The two armies playing lacrosse to the death instead of normal combat makes more sense than anything else. Especially since you only build ground troops and never like 'space tanks' or anything from the engineering science branch.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Bedurndurn posted:

The invader is already being really generous by not using their space superiority to wipe anybody hostile off the planet. The two armies playing lacrosse to the death instead of normal combat makes more sense than anything else. Especially since you only build ground troops and never like 'space tanks' or anything from the engineering science branch.
I assume poo poo like tanks and so on is wrapped up into your army units - like, you know how the WWII Earth has like 5 armies, "US Armed Forces," "Red Army," "Nazi KillGruppe," "UK Forces," and "IJN/IJA," right?

One army unit is the size of one of those forces. Of course you're not building distinctive loving tanks at that level.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Staltran posted:

Aren't slave jobs uncapped? The idea of unemployed slaves is pretty bizarre.

Only if you have domestic servants I think? I'm not sure if every slaver has those automatically. And even those aren't really good jobs, they're just...jobs for jobs sake mostly. But it's been a long time since we've seen them so the numbers for them may have drastically changed.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Nessus posted:

I assume poo poo like tanks and so on is wrapped up into your army units - like, you know how the WWII Earth has like 5 armies, "US Armed Forces," "Red Army," "Nazi KillGruppe," "UK Forces," and "IJN/IJA," right?

One army unit is the size of one of those forces. Of course you're not building distinctive loving tanks at that level.

You're missing the point. None of the actual weapons tech like better lasers or going from nuclear warheads to antimatter makes your armies more effective. Neither does better armor or better strike craft. What does make your armies better is physical strength, powered exoskeletons and a repeatable society tech.

Clearly ground combat is a slam dunk competition. Xenomorph armies are just the Monstars from Space Jam. The five WWII armies are just their respective all-star basketball teams.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Bedurndurn posted:

You're missing the point. None of the actual weapons tech like better lasers or going from nuclear warheads to antimatter makes your armies more effective. Neither does better armor or better strike craft. What does make your armies better is physical strength, powered exoskeletons and a repeatable society tech.

Clearly ground combat is a slam dunk competition. Xenomorph armies are just the Monstars from Space Jam. The five WWII armies are just their respective all-star basketball teams.
Which army unit has the Chaos Dunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I would be extremely on board with a diplomacy expansion built around arranging for interstellar sporting competitions.

Maybe with the ability to nominate other empires as the host of the spacelympics to crash their economies.