Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prophecy0
Jun 27, 2004

Rent-A-Cop posted:

As much as sending Governor Skeletor to the Senate sucks I can't muster any sympathy for Bill Nelson. A wafted fart of a man who didn't bother to campaign.

Yeah I loving hate Rick Scott and his continued success in politics continues to baffle me, but Bill Nelson seemed about as exciting as a wet napkin. I am still a bit in shock that Gillum lost but racists gonna be racist.

edit: tax

Prophecy0 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

what's dumb about florida's ballot measure was it didn't re-enfranchise all felons. if you did your time you should get your vote back i don't care what the crime was. (i mean you should never lose the vote but talking bout flo rida.)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

what's dumb about florida's ballot measure was it didn't re-enfranchise all felons. if you did your time you should get your vote back i don't care what the crime was. (i mean you should never lose the vote but talking bout flo rida.)

not reenfranchising murderers and (felony) sex criminals is really the least of our worries in florida

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
In retrospect I’m really glad that McCain held onto his Senate seat for so long even when he was clearly incapable because based on how tight the election was for the one open seat I highly doubt the Dems would have picked up two. There would have been a lot of dumbass split ballot “balance” voters and the prospect of having to defend two seats may have encouraged additional Republican turnout. So yeah, we’re going to need that seat in 2020.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Prophecy0 posted:

Yeah I loving hate Rick Scott and his continued success in politics continues to baffle me, but Bill Nelson seemed about as exciting as a wet napkin. I am still a bit in shock that Gillum lost but racists gonna be racist.

His success is exclusive to Florida in the same way Chris Christie was exclusively successful in New Jersey

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Groovelord Neato posted:

That's an opinion you can hold reasonably, but probably not something that would have passed in a million years. Re-enfranchising almost every second black man in the state is still extremely good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

As much as sending Governor Skeletor to the Senate sucks I can't muster any sympathy for Bill Nelson. A wafted fart of a man who didn't bother to campaign.

How does a guy who is ON TAPE taking the 5th about 150 times in a Medicare fraud case get elected to public office once? Let alone 3 times....

Shammypants posted:

His success is exclusive to Florida in the same way Chris Christie was exclusively successful in New Jersey

Christie won his first and 2nd elections BEFORE the big scandal broke though.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Prophecy0 posted:

rick scott has giant pockets; when you can afford to dump a good 20 million of your own cash into ad buys it goes a long way

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

rick scott personally committed more welfare fraud than every other american combined.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The_Donald reacts rationally and accepts the ruling

quote:

Hilarious we are a banana republic
-
Indeed. It’s like being told you have to house a Muslim refugee. CNN is ISIS, and this judge is trying to make the White House let in a terrorist. gently caress that.
-
Liberal activist judge only made it worse for the rest of the press.
-
Irreparable harm to Abilio outweigh the need of POTUS to have an orderly press conference.

Other CNN people have hard pass doesn’t matter

gently caress THIS RETARDED JUDGE

APPEAL!
-
Judge Timothy Kelly was appointed by President Trump, what in the Devil's dick is going on here?
-
hosed up. This will be overturned if the WH pushes it. Just hosed up.
-
Said it before; saying it again
THIS SYSTEM IS RIGGED!
-
hosed JUSTICE – JUDICIAL SYSTEM IS NEW POTUS IN USA: ASSHEAD JUDGE RULES ACCOSTER PRESS PASS BACK – AMERICA HAS LOST ITS SANITY ENTIRELY! ☭☭☭☭
-
Trump judge returns sex offender Acosta his pass. It’s obvious Trump dictated it himself. Look for new press core rules laid down by the White House. CNN has caused a world of pain for the media.
-
New rules. Questions submitted in writing. Questions will be printed on a list. An official question asker will be hired by the white house to ask questions of the secretary. Questions will be anonymized to prevent bias.
This stops the grandstanding, the multi-minute introductions, and stops managing to sneak in six follow-ups under the guise of not answering the original question.
-
Ahem...NOBODY CAN ORDER THE PRESIDENT TO DO ANYTHING.
-
Would be a shame if this is made it to...the....supreme....court..
MUHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.
-
Absolutely loving not. CNN can send some one the gently caress else. Acosta is piece of poo poo that only wants to disrupt press meetings.
-
FAILED JUSTICE SYSTEM!!!! – DON'T DO IT MR. PRESIDENT! >>>> Bastard Judge orders Trump administration to restore CNN reporter Jim Acosta's White House press pass ☭☭☭☭
-
Can't we just drone CNN or something?
-
WTF!!! Okay, time to shut it down!! I wouldn't answer a single question from anyone supporting Acosta...not CNN, not NBC, not Fox!! Either stop press conferences altogether or invite every drat reporter and journo out there. I want to see real questions being asked anyway. Only answer questions from OANN, Styx, Sargon, InfoWars, etc. Let CNN, ABC, etc sit in the back and simmer.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

For some reason Scott was able to make major inroads with the Hispanic community.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's a compromise to avoid political attacks on the measure that would have risked sinking the whole thing. It didn't have any real moral justification but it had a very strong political justification in that including murderers and sexual offenders ran a real risk of defeat.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

For some reason Scott was able to make major inroads with the Hispanic community.

It's because he put a lot of effort into it, and Nelson was an incredibly :effort: campaigner.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The_Donald reacts rationally and accepts the ruling

They'll be rejoicing over Florida before long.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

mcmagic posted:

How does a guy who is ON TAPE taking the 5th about 150 times in a Medicare fraud case get elected to public office once? Let alone 3 times....
Florida Dems make the national Democrats look like extremely stable geniuses.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

It's because he put a lot of effort into it, and Nelson was an incredibly :effort: campaigner.

Yet he got more votes than Gillum did who was the opposite heh.

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1063227563387088897

New Founding Fathers.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

One of the big problems that Florida Dems face is that a huge contingent of their base are conservative Hispanics who are getting turned off by the increasingly progressive policies that the party is beginning to push, especially economically. The ingrained hatred of Castro’s regime and the GOP’s fear mongering about Dems wanting to turn Florida into Venezuela resonated well. I don’t know how Dems can deal with that without compromising their values.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Teddybear posted:

Yeah, sounds like the ballot design was the cause of the massive undervote and, in all likelihood, the loss of the senate seat. Florida, man.

Don't really see anything wrong with the ballot. It sucks that people ignored it because it was in the lower corner, but it is clearly visible. I don't think any election should be given priority of placement over another, it should be basically randomized

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Don't really see anything wrong with the ballot. It sucks that people ignored it because it was in the lower corner, but it is clearly visible. I don't think any election should be given priority of placement over another, it should be basically randomized

it goes against fairly well-established best practices in ballot design

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

One of the big problems that Florida Dems face is that a huge contingent of their base are conservative Hispanics who are getting turned off by the increasingly progressive policies that the party is beginning to push, especially economically. The ingrained hatred of Castro’s regime and the GOP’s fear mongering about Dems wanting to turn Florida into Venezuela resonated well. I don’t know how Dems can deal with that without compromising their values.
And another huge chunk is pro-cop, anti-taxes, homophobic, racist geriatrics from New York.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Isn't that older Cuban population really small?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It’s objectively a flaw but if you had handed me that ballot a week ago I would have seen absolutely nothing wrong with it even if I was outright told that there was a flaw somewhere in it and I tried to find it. It simply would not have occurred to me.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

Yet he got more votes than Gillum did who was the opposite heh.

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1063227563387088897

New Founding Fathers.

Mitch the Bitch making a speech.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Munkeymon posted:

Hope is a lie again huh :smith:

lol what? Florida was always a longshot. Sinema winning + the House wave was fantastic. Anything in Florida would have been an extremely pleasant surprise but I wasn't counting on it. Wait til next go around when 1.1 mil more people have the ability to vote again.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

And another huge chunk is pro-cop, anti-taxes, homophobic, racist geriatrics from New York.

That’s always an issue but if the conservative voting bloc in Florida was just isolated to the FYGM retirees and the racist swamp people then the Dems would be able to easily overcome that. The big problem is that the Hispanic population in Florida is simply not a reliable Democratic contingent like it is in the rest of the nation because they lean more conservative.

As sad as it is to say there’s a good chance that Gillum’s openly progressive campaign, combined with the racism, was enough to sink him.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 16, 2018

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Bill Nelson voted for PROMESA, which may be just the most unpopular bill among Puerto Ricans.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

I just want to re-iterate that this tweet is the most Perd Hapley thing I've seen outside of Parks and Rec and it's amazing.

Also, whoever had the notion that "Thank god for Arizona." isn't ever said unironically obviously doesn't live in Arizona. There are a lot of people here who voted a billion times to re-elect Arpaio after all.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

It’s something like 3% of votes cast there didn’t pick someone in that race versus 1.7%(I think) the rest of the state. That does equal enough votes to change the results of the election though.

Randomizing wouldn’t have helped any race in that spot because they basically put that particular race in a optical/mental dead zone on the ballot (only race under instructions). How many people do you know that would read enough of the instructions to get the gist and then move to the next page?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Deified Data posted:

They'll be rejoicing over Florida before long.

I don't understand I thought the dems were going to steal the election???

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Electric Phantasm posted:

all of the attention that donald trump, praise be upon him, focused on the race prevented democrats from stealing it

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Poor graphic design wins the day yet again

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Retro42 posted:

It’s something like 3% of votes cast there didn’t pick someone in that race versus 1.7%(I think) the rest of the state. That does equal enough votes to change the results of the election though.

Randomizing wouldn’t have helped any race in that spot because they basically put that particular race in a optical/mental dead zone on the ballot (only race under instructions). How many people do you know that would read enough of the instructions to get the gist and then move to the next page?

I can't imagine someone who wouldn't!

That's frustrating.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Did anyone try cutting some ads with the tape? Sounds like it would have been worth a couple mil in ads at least.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I just can’t wrap my mind around how someone outright forgets that they need to vote for Senate.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

DLC Inc posted:

lol what? Florida was always a longshot.

I was hoping that Florida's general incompetence w.r.t. elections meant there would be a machine fault.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Chilichimp posted:

I'm having a hard time imagining a COUNTY having 6 loving congressional districts in it. poo poo man, the metropolitan area of Atlanta has six congressional districts.
My whole state has one.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

pookel posted:

My whole state has one.

Can't gerrymand that fucker

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I just can’t wrap my mind around how someone outright forgets that they need to vote for Senate.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

geriatrics from New York.

Forget it Jake, it's Broward County.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

lol just going by the established Trump playbook, claim the system is rigged until you win - if you lose it's their fault, if you win you won despite the opposition systematically opposing you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

F L O R I D A