Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dexo posted:

There was only 1 tournament?

there was one tournament, but it was most of the manga. his(?) later works skipped the pretense and were more like 95% tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jose posted:

Harem manga are bad and you should feel bad for reading them

You should read my monster secret imo

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm going to continue reading harem manga and shounen manga and H-manga.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's funny that rokudou's magic charm is one of the most believable setups for a protag being so popular of any harem manga

I find it helps a lot when it's remotely believable for people to be attracted to the protagonist. We Never Learn is decent with this, since the protagonist is a fairly good looking guy who is responsible and has his poo poo together.

I also find that it's flat-out necessary for romance to not be the focus, since the premise is almost always inherently ridiculous and doesn't work well if all it has going for it is the romance. This is the main reason We Never Learn is better than Gotoubun no Hanayome (the manga with an amusingly similar premise); it's primarily a comedy, while the latter is more of a romance with comedic aspects.

There's also kind of a fine line between "harem" and "romance with multiple possible partners." I feel like the main characteristic of the former is there being more than 3 "contenders" and it being established very early that they're all clearly interested in the protagonist (as opposed to a situation where a romance is gradually developed over the story).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I care very little for most of the humor in We Can't Study but I profoundly do not understand how anyone can make it through the chapters with the teacher, they are so god drat awful. Gotoubun having none of that garbage alone is more than enough for me to put it way above it.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Jose posted:

No way, Jose.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the most important metric is which has the cuter art, so we never learn is better. tho they're both pretty standard harem mangas as far as I can tell. only read a little here and there because people keep talking about them here tho, so I could be missing something

not really seeing how the protag of we never learn is anything but average. he's the standard plain nice guy/oblivious protag

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nate RFB posted:

I care very little for most of the humor in We Can't Study but I profoundly do not understand how anyone can make it through the chapters with the teacher, they are so god drat awful. Gotoubun having none of that garbage alone is more than enough for me to put it way above it.

Sensei is love is how.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

I also prefer Gotoubun

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Nate RFB posted:

I'm sorry you hate fun.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

the most important metric is which has the cuter art, so we never learn is better. tho they're both pretty standard harem mangas as far as I can tell. only read a little here and there because people keep talking about them here tho, so I could be missing something

not really seeing how the protag of we never learn is anything but average. he's the standard plain nice guy/oblivious protag
he is cute and earnest and selfless and kind and kinda buff when he's shirtless, i'm not even in the manga and i'm a little gay for him

I only read the first volume-ish of Gotoubun and while I can definitely see the appeal because the art and the girls are cute and it seemed charming, if I have to compare it to WNL I do prefer WNL. WRT to Gotobun, I think starting with all five right off the bat and doing a "secret childhood friend" hook were both aspects I didn't care for. WNL was nice in that it doesn't do the latter at all and the cast is built up slowly with Uruka being introduced later on and then Sensei and Senpai, but it's not even a full blown harem yet. Uruka was the only one starting off in love with the protag until Rizu realized it. Fumino definitely is even if she doesn't admit it, but Sensei and Senpai have only been in some romantically tinged situations so while fans can root for them their feelings for him are not a factor in their chapters at all yet, they're just gags and fun, which makes for entertaining breaks. If the humor works for you, that is, I know some people here don't care for it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Was everyone this head over heals for Nisekoi when it was going and I just hadn't realized, or was the pain from losing Double Arts the main reason that was (rightfully) regarded as the generic junk that it was

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Nisekoi had it's ups and downs.

I still think that when it comes to harem romcom manga.
Both Nisekoi and We Never Learn are about as good as it gets. It's not my genre at all, but I like these lovable idiots.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think when I really sit down and really think about it, The World God Only Knows was my favorite harem series. Its final arc was probably it at its weakest but it had such high highs prior to that and a genuinely good cast who grew quite a lot over the course of the story.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Have either of you read My Monster Secret? Because once it gets past its initial hurdles, not only is it hilarious, charming, and has quite a few great emotional moments, but it also has a genuinely great romance. I dunno if it even counts as harem, it's marked as such on various reader sites but there's only ever a handful of girls interested and even then kuromine never really takes his eyes off of Youko. Strong ending, too. Shame it didn't just continue into the college years and instead the author went on to do that one series that just got canned.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I was there from start to finish on Jitsu Wa, friend.

It's semantics really but I don't think of that as a harem series in the same way as some of the previously mentioned ones because there was only ever One Girl from the start and that never really changed or was even challenged/questioned in the narrative.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I thought you were, but wasn't sure.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Nisekoi had fantastic reaction faces. Like, say what you want about the story (and there's plenty to pick apart, tbqh), but the drat reaction faces Komi drew were off the hook. Like, in my heart, pound for pound, my favorite shounen romcom shenanigans manga is still My Monster Secret (which also had some fantastic reaction faces), but Nisekoi was like Komi knows how to get that hard belly laugh out of you through those faces.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jose posted:

Over my dead, silly-loving body. :colbert:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Captain Invictus posted:

Have either of you read My Monster Secret? Because once it gets past its initial hurdles, not only is it hilarious, charming, and has quite a few great emotional moments, but it also has a genuinely great romance. I dunno if it even counts as harem, it's marked as such on various reader sites but there's only ever a handful of girls interested and even then kuromine never really takes his eyes off of Youko. Strong ending, too. Shame it didn't just continue into the college years and instead the author went on to do that one series that just got canned.

Oh no, I liked his new series. :negative:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, Weekly Hachi got canned? No way. :cry:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Personally I thought the new one was dull as poo poo and while the comedy was okay the melodrama just did not work, at all. Bakuman at least felt like it was teaching stuff about and had a fairly realistic situation for the manga industry ("watch a writer/artist duo struggle trying to find a sustainable series and begin to climb the career ladder, supported by their colleagues working in various genres"), Literally A Manga Battle Tower School was just really dumb.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the dude's just so amazingly good at making slapstick comedy that an attempt at a more serious series could never measure up

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah. :(

I guess I got on Masuda's Manga Battle Tower School dumb ride in part due to the fact that I enjoyed and sincerely consider My Monster Secret one of the funniest mangas from the past decade. Also because while How to Make an Invisible Man and Sakura Discord were also short-lived, it showed that Masuda does have it in him to mix it up, even if dumb and endearing characters are his powerhouse and calling card.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Jose posted:

Does Watamote count as one yet?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Ucchi definitely thinks it does.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

He's oblivious, but he is at least shown to be a poor person who works really hard to get good grades and is good with household chores (and I think cooking also). He gets credit for having his poo poo together more than the vast majority of teenage boys.

Goutoubun's love interests are all pretty boring, and none are as fun as Fumino or the senpai girl (Asumi IIRC?) from We Never Learn. Pretty much all of them fit a clear stereotype.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I haven't read a lot of this kind of manga since it's not really my thing, but most of those are in like all of them. not always all of them at once, but every protag has at least a couple of those traits

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I dunno most Harem protags, either intentionally or unintentionally are assholes.

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
Im not sure rokudou is really a harem series either. each girl falls in love with him at the start of their arc because of the curse but with one recent exception it seems like after they reform and the curse wears off they just see him as a friend. Plus the art is kind of distasteful so none of the girls are cute

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

halleys comet posted:

Plus the art is kind of distasteful so none of the girls are cute

hosed up opinion.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the art is a little weird in rokudou, let's be real

but yea it's not really a harem

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
Its true that its the first manga to feature a moe loan shark which i think is a concept with a lot of potential. If any mangaka reading this is interested in making a romcom where a gal teases a shy loner by breaking his kneecaps when he cant keep up with exorbitant interest rates pm me for more ideas.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i could never get past how hosed up the premise of rokudou is.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

I remember saying something similar and someone going "its ok, he takes her feelings seriously" lol

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Rokudou is a good boy who just wants to make friends.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TriffTshngo posted:

Rokudou is a good boy who just wants to make friends.
Also learn Kung-Fu

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

neither could rokudou

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The premise is handled very well, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Like I think it's completely fair to be skeptical, but it really isn't skeevy literally at all.