Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TTBF posted:

Is there any way to tell what pagan religions have some of the reforms already baked into them ? I want to make sure I don't waste a slot on something a religion already has.

I actually think nothing sticks, except perhaps concubinage? Zunist have an unique bonus to heavy infantry that they lose under reformation. Defensive pagans lose their home defensive bonuses unless they pick unyielding. African and Romuva pagans lose Eldership succession unless they pick their unique doctrines or Ancestor Worship. I'm not sure you retain anything on reformation unless it's part of your reform doctrines (concubinage excepted I think?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

binge crotching posted:

200 from the time you get the Viking trait. It takes 100 to get to Sea King/Queen, so another 100 on top of that.

There are some events where you can get +4 or +5 to credit, I think they are the ones that pop up as you pillage something and it asks if you want to burn it down. Still a bunch of holdings to raid though.

Re: this & the raiding bloodline.
Do you have to be the leader of the raiding force to get the Viking/Ravager/Sea King traits? Or can you just be at home/in one of the raiding forces and get credit for all of the raids happening with your troops?

Cause I've always assumed that it only counts raids you personally lead, but if it counts ALL raids your forces make weather you are there or not the 200 number suddenly seems a lot closer.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Am I the only one with a large realm who just ignores incessant pagan raiding because it's a huge amount of micro while the negative effect is negligible?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sulphagnist posted:

Am I the only one with a large realm who just ignores incessant pagan raiding because it's a huge amount of micro while the negative effect is negligible?

When your realm is big enough your vassals will take care of it.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Well, when the raider stacks can be up to 7000 strong, it needs to be a pretty large realm. My empire is border gore galore from Gelre to Spoleto and maybe it's just exceptionally exposed to raiding.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

How long has this axe been a thing?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

THE BAR posted:

How long has this axe been a thing?

IIRC that event first popped in The Old Gods, so a little over five years now

EDIT: Mind, at the time it just gave a +2 bonus to Martial because Artifacts weren't a thing yet

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Started as High Chief of Silesia. Used the King of Poland ambition to take every inch of dirt I could. Two months pass and I die of an infection. My extremely buff and tall idiot son takes over and starts to trim the bloodlines of his vassals. All is well (constant war) for thirty years. He turns to alcohol and women to stop the visions of screaming and death. He works his way up to Hero in the Warriors of Perun. One day he is diagnosed with leprosy and gets depressed about it.

I kept looking at that Legendary Gathering option and finally said "gently caress it." His face has fallen off and he can't walk in a straight line but if he's going to die it's going to be with an axe in his hand.

Noobicide
Sep 12, 2007

Noobicide posted:

My first concubine as Kanem 7-whatever start was a giant, and I got that mixed with strong in one kid, and I managed to make him my heir . . . barely. drat elders. Needless to say he is by far the world' strongest man and deadliest duelist.

I'm also really into starting as Africa. Like way too into it

*raises fist*

Aaaaand he was almost immediately killed by losing a chess match with death. I guess I should've let that nun stay with me...

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Noobicide posted:

Aaaaand he was almost immediately killed by losing a chess match with death. I guess I should've let that nun stay with me...

That also leads to chess with death!

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Trying to form Rome as the Makedons. Got about half the Italian peninsula as well as the African duchies left. Only problem is that MA is tanking due to the sons of Ragnar going loving hard. All the of the British isles are pagan now

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Playing a game where I started out playing the duke of Saxony. No words wrought of mortal men can describe how much I loving hate Vikings.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

In an effort to sway my wife I signed us up for a fencing tournament. We beat everybody else and our love has been reignited.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

guns for tits posted:

Only problem is that MA is tanking due to the sons of Ragnar going loving hard. All the of the British isles are pagan now

Once you convert to Hellenic paganism that shouldn't be a problem. :hist101:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Started up an 876 Duke of Spoleto run with an eye towards reforming the Roman Empire from Italy. Spent a couple years building up my demense counties, and sure enough in the middle of a war for Bavaria King Louis somehow gets himself excommunicated, turning every vassal against him and giving me just enough wiggle room to win an independence war. Immediately turned around and usurped the Papal States from the Pope, which pissed him off but luckly he died a year later before dropping an excommunication on me in response. New Pope demands I re-declare war on Louis to depose him in exchange for being crowned, so I kick Louis' rear end again and have a sweet Pope crown, but now most of the peninsula is owned by a growing Lotharingia blob which is going to make forming Italia a pain. Time to focus on unifying southern Italy first I guess!

Has anybody had success yet in taking Rome? I want to make it my capital but obviously I'd have to war with the Pope first, and HF has given the Pope some serious teeth. Worried he's just going to immediately excommunicate me and I'm going to get dogpiled.

e. Also the Pope showed up to my coronation covered in mud, what an rear end in a top hat.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 16, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sulphagnist posted:

Is all fun and games till they sack your capital and run of with your level 4 armor and 33 of your relatives

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Roses are red, Kanem is blue
Death to the Christian, Muslim and Jew
I'm African Pagan and I give no fucks
'Cause since Holy Fury it no longer sucks

Raiders seem to be bugged right now. I got a stack in my capital, immediately sent them out towards Infidel Land, but they deserted before they even got there.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I used my Crusade profits to forge a Bloodline for Robert Guiscard's son Bohemond - building 10 cities was easy although it seems like the effects would (probably not surprisingly) be way better if you were playing a Republic.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

ninjahedgehog posted:

Once you convert to Hellenic paganism that shouldn't be a problem. :hist101:

I’d need to form Rome first though, right? That might be the difficult part considering Catholicism has 0 MA

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Ok, I decided to be West-African Pagan and holy hell this elder thing is wonderfully annoying. It's like tanistry on crack for nonsense and unlike tanistry, it won't go away if you just pick an heir with an incompatible culture.

Also I have no idea how the hell I'm supposed to create pagan saints. I can't pick my old man who created the loving religion or anything

StoryTime posted:

Ooooh. I was aware of 'De Jure' but my understanding was that it was just a thing that affected how the persons in the game thought about their control of land. Eg. they'd hate each other for owning stuff they thought 'should' belong to them. I wasn't aware that it actually affected game mechanics like this.

Hmm... maybe I should let him land his stinky butt on the throne and then reversal suplex him right out, very interesting!

Thanks to both of you, I'm sure Norway will become a prosperous and peaceful land due to your input!
Icelanders butting into things and making a mess? why i never

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Sydin posted:

Started up an 876 Duke of Spoleto run with an eye towards reforming the Roman Empire from Italy. Spent a couple years building up my demense counties, and sure enough in the middle of a war for Bavaria King Louis somehow gets himself excommunicated, turning every vassal against him and giving me just enough wiggle room to win an independence war. Immediately turned around and usurped the Papal States from the Pope, which pissed him off but luckly he died a year later before dropping an excommunication on me in response. New Pope demands I re-declare war on Louis to depose him in exchange for being crowned, so I kick Louis' rear end again and have a sweet Pope crown, but now most of the peninsula is owned by a growing Lotharingia blob which is going to make forming Italia a pain. Time to focus on unifying southern Italy first I guess!

Has anybody had success yet in taking Rome? I want to make it my capital but obviously I'd have to war with the Pope first, and HF has given the Pope some serious teeth. Worried he's just going to immediately excommunicate me and I'm going to get dogpiled.

e. Also the Pope showed up to my coronation covered in mud, what an rear end in a top hat.

Whats up Spoleto 876 buddy! I think for Rome, you ought to install an Anti-Pope first and then you can use the claim to install them as a vassal Pope and grab Rome. The Pope already hates your guts for simply existing in Italy and I presume will go nuclear with some nasty events maybe even popping up if you actually control Rome; and I would expect any independent Pope will hold Rome or perhaps even stuff in Latium hostage if you want him to crown you.

(And then you revive Hellenism and burn Rome down)

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

If you're West African Pagan and reform taking Seabound, are you able to do viking style raids, or do you have to do Seabound + Daring? I was hoping to take meritocracy instead of daring so I can get out of the ridiculous situations like nominating my worst possible heir so that my elders nominate a better one just to spite me.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Kagon posted:

If you're West African Pagan and reform taking Seabound, are you able to do viking style raids, or do you have to do Seabound + Daring? I was hoping to take meritocracy instead of daring so I can get out of the ridiculous situations like nominating my worst possible heir so that my elders nominate a better one just to spite me.

I'm pretty sure you only need Seafaring, as Daring is not a prerequisite for raids.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sulphagnist posted:

Whats up Spoleto 876 buddy! I think for Rome, you ought to install an Anti-Pope first and then you can use the claim to install them as a vassal Pope and grab Rome. The Pope already hates your guts for simply existing in Italy and I presume will go nuclear with some nasty events maybe even popping up if you actually control Rome; and I would expect any independent Pope will hold Rome or perhaps even stuff in Latium hostage if you want him to crown you.

(And then you revive Hellenism and burn Rome down)

Oooh, that's not a bad idea. Right next to Rome anyway so blitzing an anti-pope installation war wouldn't be that difficult. Time to plant one of my son's butts in a bishopric.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

guns for tits posted:

I’d need to form Rome first though, right? That might be the difficult part considering Catholicism has 0 MA

I could be wrong, but I don't think moral authority matters for that decision? Also I don't think you even need to restore the Empire before you convert, there's an event chain to secretly covert to the Hellenic gods if you control certain provinces.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Are there any unique events, mechanics or societies for some of the more obscure religions, like Hellenism?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

How do I convert tribal counties to feudal? I upgraded them to reinforced hillforts but have no option (that I can see) to convert to castle. Or is it automatic? And do they need to be under direct control or can they / must they be under a vassal?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Jesus loving Christ. I am growing very tired of Viking raiding adventurers popping up out of nowhere with 5000-10 000 men all the loving time.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

canepazzo posted:

How do I convert tribal counties to feudal? I upgraded them to reinforced hillforts but have no option (that I can see) to convert to castle. Or is it automatic? And do they need to be under direct control or can they / must they be under a vassal?

You first have to adopt Feudalism from the decisions panel, which you can only do if you have Max Tribal Organization, a max level hillfort in at least one province you own, and either follow a mainline religion (Islam, Christianity, etc) or have reformed your pagan faith. Once you select this, all counties in your demense will automatically convert to Castle, and will also build a town if there's a building slot available. After that, you can convert any other tribal counties you obtain by maxing the hillfort, right clicking the tribal settlement in the building slot, and choosing to convert it to a castle.

Your vassals on the other hand are a different story. AFAIK you cannot force counties not in your demense to switch to Feudalism, all you can do is help the process along by funding the development of their hillforts and hoping the eventually pull the trigger.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Does taking away Rome from the Pope finally make him take over some other bishopric instead of just existing in some nebulous unlanded nega-zone?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jedit posted:

Raiders seem to be bugged right now. I got a stack in my capital, immediately sent them out towards Infidel Land, but they deserted before they even got there.

Every 30 days from the time you get the troops there will be a check to see if they are raiding. If they are raiding when that check happens, everything is fine. If 122 days go by and they still haven't been raiding when the check happens, that's when they get disbanded and you lose half a year's income.

I don't think they are useful in Africa past the first decade or so of consolidation. It takes too long to get them to someone else's land, so it's definitely something focused around being able to toss them in some boats and drop them off in Ireland or whatever.

Something interesting I noticed while looking at the event though. If you have the bloodline that gives extra raiding troops, you can spawn up to 15k raiders. Normally it's only up to 9k, which is already a lot, but 15k is just crazy large.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

binge crotching posted:

I don't think they are useful in Africa past the first decade or so of consolidation. It takes too long to get them to someone else's land, so it's definitely something focused around being able to toss them in some boats and drop them off in Ireland or whatever.

If I have a major complaint about post-HF Africa, it's that the southern portion is still ultimately a backwater. Sure you can make actual money there now, but it takes ages to move troops around and out of the area, which means once you start pushing into North Africa you want to move your capital + demense up there ASAP so the core of your troops doesn't constantly have to slog up the Sahara. Except then dealing with any unrest in the southern portion is a huge pain because it takes an eternity to move a stack down there. I wish they'd pushed the map out to the west a bit so there was access to ports in the SW corner.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Randarkman posted:

Jesus loving Christ. I am growing very tired of Viking raiding adventurers popping up out of nowhere with 5000-10 000 men all the loving time.

Yes, I've complained about the Viking molemen in the past. I want a mod that replaces the tiny army icon with a giant :siren: so I can follow them around easily with my retinue

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Sydin posted:

You first have to adopt Feudalism from the decisions panel, which you can only do if you have Max Tribal Organization, a max level hillfort in at least one province you own, and either follow a mainline religion (Islam, Christianity, etc) or have reformed your pagan faith. Once you select this, all counties in your demense will automatically convert to Castle, and will also build a town if there's a building slot available. After that, you can convert any other tribal counties you obtain by maxing the hillfort, right clicking the tribal settlement in the building slot, and choosing to convert it to a castle.

Your vassals on the other hand are a different story. AFAIK you cannot force counties not in your demense to switch to Feudalism, all you can do is help the process along by funding the development of their hillforts and hoping the eventually pull the trigger.

Ah hmmm, I'm Jorvik, so I guess I need to reform Germanic first. However I noticed I can build castles from scratch, make that the county capital. Bit more pricey.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

ninjahedgehog posted:

I could be wrong, but I don't think moral authority matters for that decision? Also I don't think you even need to restore the Empire before you convert, there's an event chain to secretly covert to the Hellenic gods if you control certain provinces.

Guess I’ll have to hope for the event to fire then

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Help, how does I anti-pope?

:confused:

e; I guess it took several years because I just claimed the title of the Papal States and now I can set up an anti-pope.

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 16, 2018

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
welp i finally got my first immortal. except i got it on my kanem god-tier bear slayer emperor and pagan pope so now he is so deadly that death itself is afraid to claim him

Sydin posted:

correct, vassals will take their sweet loving time switching to feudal if they feel like it

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

canepazzo posted:

Ah hmmm, I'm Jorvik, so I guess I need to reform Germanic first. However I noticed I can build castles from scratch, make that the county capital. Bit more pricey.

Jorvik starts as feudal already, so all you need to do is get the level 4 hillfort in a tribe, and then ensure the province is your religion. You don't need to reform the faith if you're already feudal.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Broken Cog posted:

Are there any unique events, mechanics or societies for some of the more obscure religions, like Hellenism?

Hellenism is actually pretty blessed on the society department. Normally, you either follow a non-pagan faith and get a monastic order and access to the Hermetics (Catholics get two monastic orders, Muslims don't get a monastic order, but can interact more naturally with the Assassins), or you get a warrior lodge as a pagan faith (Zunists and Taoists also get access to the Hermetics). Most faiths also can join the devil worshipers.

But Hellenism actually has a warrior lodge, a monastic order, a satanist cult and access to the Hermetics. It's the only faith that has access to all four types of societies (not counting the Assassins).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Fellblade posted:

Help, how does I anti-pope?

:confused:

e; I guess it took several years because I just claimed the title of the Papal States and now I can set up an anti-pope.

For me the problem at least was that the specific de jure kingdom the prince-bishop was de jure vassal of didn't have free investiture. I had to flip my Kingdom of Lotharingen to it even though my Empire of Lotharingen already had it.

So yeah the Bishop of Cologne is now the Anti-Pope, I didn't have time to develop a monastic dynast and give them the job.