Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

:yeshaha:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

:vince:

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Wow. That is some scorched earth brand management.

I'm pretty sure it's the right decision from Paradox though, assuming they want to salvage as much of the IP as possible.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

grassy gnoll posted:

If only someone could have foreseen this outcome, somehow.
YES IF ONLY

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Rip White Wolf, choked on own vomit

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
losing control of my company, to own the libs

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I thought this passage was strong, and gets to exactly what the Swedracula/Zakattack version of the WoD got wrong

quote:

Horror should not be afraid to explore difficult or sensitive topics, but it should never do so without understanding who those topics are about and what it means to them. Real evil does exist in the world, and we can’t ever excuse its real perpetrators or cheapen the suffering of its real victims.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FMguru posted:

I thought this passage was strong, and gets to exactly what the Swedracula/Zakattack version of the WoD got wrong

Something something true art transgresses something something.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Something something true art transgresses something something.

Here I can find the exact quote for you.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Is Venger the one who was banned from RPGnet for trying to put an IRL hex on someone?

Wait, I think I remember that, didn't he refer to it as a "Purple Spell"?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
That's the bunny.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ronwayne posted:

Wait, I think I remember that, didn't he refer to it as a "Purple Spell"?

He appealed his ban, which let me post this:

quote:

Following an appeal and a review of the relevant threads, the Administrators have decided to grant Darrick3909’s appeal and lift his permanent ban despite his past history of invoking Satan and the Most Vicious Demons of Hell to plague the rpg.net Staff.

Darrick3909 is warned that any further attempts on-site to open the unknowable doorways, touch the violet flame, drink the revitalizing blood, or break the skulls of those who cross Satan or His brothers will result in subsequent suspensions and/or further banishment from the Forums as the Staff deems appropriate.

Thank you.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
So uuuuh, someone on a fan run Vampire Facebook page just posted this.

quote:

I've been in touch with the author of the Chechnya chapter since more or less a few days after my petition. The issue went from being one from taste to NATIONAL NEWS in Russia. Also, the Chech government claimed it was part of a propaganda effort of the West to discredit them and wanted people arrested. This is now about the safety of WW's people living in Russia.

Someone further down the comment chain then posted this link.

https://hybridtechcar.com/2018/11/1...E9Ja00oi-KK42R4

edit: and another. https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/3800037

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

That seems to be the same guy who's been raving about how the book was actually ruined by an evil editor and White Wolf is in no way at fault, so I'd take it with a grain of salt, but yeah, the Chechnyan government seems to have noticed.

(Also he's trying to get people to take his good word to RPGnet for him, because he got banned forever for posting Game of Thrones spoilers.)

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Rand Brittain posted:

That seems to be the same guy who's been raving about how the book was actually ruined by an evil editor and White Wolf is in no way at fault, so I'd take it with a grain of salt, but yeah, the Chechnyan government seems to have noticed.

(Also he's trying to get people to take his good word to RPGnet for him, because he got banned forever for posting Game of Thrones spoilers.)

Yeah he's been running around defending MRH all over the place and insisting he was told that it was only written to 'expose what's happening in Chechnya' which is laughably ridiculous.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I love how MR*H simultaneously both wrote and did not write the Chechnya chapter.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Bosushi! posted:

So uuuuh, someone on a fan run Vampire Facebook page just posted this.

Someone further down the comment chain then posted this link.

https://hybridtechcar.com/2018/11/1...E9Ja00oi-KK42R4

edit: and another. https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/3800037
I can personally attest this mess is rapidly getting out of hand here, and the guys who opened a crowdfunding campaign (today of all possible days) for localizing V20 are having a press conference with Chechnya's minister of communications, Dzhambulat Umarov, in Moscow, this Monday.

To add to the confusion, a not too well known studio announced “we’re localizing the infamous V5” about an hour ago and then proceeded to delete that post almost immediately.

Foglet fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 16, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"The press Secretary of the head of the Chechen Republic Alvi Karimov said that the creators of the game “decided to appear on the popularity of Chechnya and its leadership.” He stressed that a continuation of the information war to demonize Republic. According to TASS, Chechnya considering the possibility of litigation with developers."

Uhhhh

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

...why would you try to publish White Wolf games in Chechnya at all?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Chechenya is technically a part of the russian federation, isn't it?

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Rand Brittain posted:

Oh, I meant “here” as in “Russia”, which Chechnya is more or less a sorta-independent part of. We have a huge WoD fandom.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Honestly publishing them in Russia seems like it's going to run you afoul of anti-gay laws unless you bowdlerize them, too, or am I missing something?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
So basically White Wolf has managed to both trivialize persecution and dehumanize its victims, AND piss off the governments involved.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Rand Brittain posted:

Honestly publishing them in Russia seems like it's going to run you afoul of anti-gay laws unless you bowdlerize them, too, or am I missing something?
Technically anti-gay laws are for prohibiting propaganda specifically to minors, so there’s that I guess.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

So basically White Wolf has managed to both trivialize persecution and dehumanize its victims, AND piss off the governments involved.
Yeah, exactly! AND don’t forget messing it up for those trying to publish the better edition, which, while not being VtR2, still beats V5 in terms of mostly everything.

Foglet fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 16, 2018

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Congrats to the first tabletop RPG company to create an international incident.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Congrats to the first tabletop RPG company to create an international incident.
In its death throes, no less.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Suiciding your company into an international incident to own the libs.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
I mean I guess swedrac really wanted to make a controversial game and wasn't content with being controversial within the industry.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

imagine being such a bad writer that you are now at risk of black-bagging

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

You know with all the talk about the Homosexual Purges in Chechnya it seems like this passage got overlooked...

quote:

This report provides an analysis of the gradual formation of the dangerous international criminal organization known as Abrek, which is now active mainly in Chechnya but has tentacles spreading throughout the Middle East, Russia, and Europe that takes order only from their leader Aslan and their ruling body “The Duma”. The report details how Abrek has in the last few years become a potentially uncontrollable force in Camarilla politics — and how, on its journey to power, it has copied the vainglory of the Czar, the ruthlessness of Stalin, and the religious trappings of extremists, tailoring these methods to its own ethnic and political specificities.

As it is, the Abrek have effectively merged their organization with the mortal government within their regnum, and completely dominate mortal society in Chechnya, effectively demoting the kine to secondary citizens doubling as feeding stock. Fanatically dedicated to their cause of controlling and expanding their territories, the Abrek are ruthless but largely irreligious terrorists who show those who would stand against them little mercy.

I cannot guarantee tonight that the Islamic state which Abrek has created in Chechnya, and which is currently reveling in triumphalism and wild optimism, will not be transformed over time into another Sabbat prepared to declare jihad against the world. This is but my preliminary report, as I have returned from the enclave only 5 nights ago. Despite the fascist characteristics and brutal edicts of Abrek, Chechnya has become a most fascinating and wondrous place under its rule — to many even a “homeland for all Kindred.

DID ANYONE PROOFREAD THIS BOOK!? ANYONE!?

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

MollyMetroid posted:

I mean I guess swedrac really wanted to make a controversial game and wasn't content with being controversial within the industry.
Well he DID start his reign with an “I have a dream of doing 9/11 books” speech.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Kurieg posted:

You know with all the talk about the Homosexual Purges in Chechnya it seems like this passage got overlooked...

DID ANYONE PROOFREAD THIS BOOK!? ANYONE!?
I think the actual and more disappointing answer is that, yes, it was proofread.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Huh, well I sure wasn't expecting anything like that to happen.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Why is 2018?

Why is this the most globally relevant thing to ever happen to the RPG industry?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

So yeah, remember how Mark was saying that the whole Chechnya thing was written by a Vampire, who are inherently evil, and thus cannot be taken at face value? I've got my electronic mitts on one of the original PDFs and found the passage in question.

The chapter itself is designed to appear like a magazine article, it really reminds me of my mom's old Readers Digest newsmagazine reports (The page is divided up into 3 columns, portions of the text are requoted in big colorful letters in the margins, etc), it's even given a byline and titled "official report of my three years’ mission in
chechnya, the abrek vampire free state" and written by a Banu Haqim Archon, and the Banu Haqim are explicitly stated as being opposed to the Abrek.

So what it talks about the Abrek in glowing terms and talks about their complete control of the government you're inclined to take it as face value because even though it's an in-universe piece it's being written as an academic study from the outside, not a puff piece from within. You are given to understand that "in the world of darkness this is happening and this is true".

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey, so, tomorrow is the deadline for signing up for the main round of TG Secret Santa! Just mentioning it because I see some previous-year regulars in various threads who haven't come in yet, and I realize most of us just use our bookmark lists most of the time so you might not notice the stickied thread.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

So uh there might be people in Chechenya working for WW that might get jailed for that. http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/...832#post1267832

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

yeah this is why i was willing to believe that Rein*Hagen got death threats

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Plutonis posted:

So uh there might be people in Chechenya working for WW that might get jailed for that. http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/...832#post1267832

That dude is a nut, though.

Do we have any reputable information indicating actual peril?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

That dude is a nut, though.

Do we have any reputable information indicating actual peril?

It's not White Wolf employees that are in trouble. It's people in the distribution industry that are being called into court and being told to name names.

Also: The Chechnyan government is apparently pointing at the fact that their homosexual purges have been written about in a game as proof that it's actually fiction and not really happening, so MR*H has failed in his stated goal of drawing attention to a real atrocity by giving them plausible deniability in his poorly thought out writing.