Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

quote:

White House press secretary acknowledged the court's ruling in a statement and said "we will temporarily reinstate the reporter's hard pass." But she added, "We will also further develop rules and processes to ensure fair and orderly press conferences in the future. There must be decorum at the White House."

If they really care about press conference :decorum: then thats the way to handle it.

She is basically saying, "ok media, we did not think we had to tell you to give up the microphone when Trump says you are done and we ask you for the microphone, but ok. From now on, if you don't yield, that is a reason for possibly revoking your pass."

If Acosta does it again and gets his hard pass revoked, the 5th amendment argument probably goes away and then he'd have to rely on a 1st amendment right to be "disruptive" (in Trump's mind) in a press conference and uhh.... I wouldn't rely on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Tell you what, I’ll agree to it, but only if we make it so a tax increase on the top 20% of taxpayers requires only 1/5 of congress to agree.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Xand_Man posted:

One of the puff pieces on Lindsay Graham talked about him downing slugs of beer and taking drags on cigarettes as a Six year old at his parents' bar to get laughs.

I keep thinking about that anecdote. About the damage a person has to have if they were willing to ignore their little body screaming :siren:this is toxic:siren: because it gets a laugh from people they see as authority figures.

Seems to me a person with damage like that will always be willing to debase themselves further; there is no rock bottom for them to hit.

gently caress you for making me feel sorry for Lindsay Graham. Jesus, that is so loving horrible...no wonder he is this way.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Well, either way, it is absolutely a terrible idea, and honestly very well may screw up any chance for M4A or even UHS. (Btw, the deficit doesn't matter but the issue is that Washington acts like it matters.)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

yronic heroism posted:

I think the sucking up is just to avoid a primary.

I think he's just an absolute poo poo-smear of a human who recently figured out he can be himself with no repercussions.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Every time I go see my parents in CT I have to swing by the Westport Goodwill because sometimes they get these amazing hauls of pristine classical/jazz/opera LPs and clean high-end vintage audio equipment from some old upper/upper middle class dude’s estate liquidation.

My wife went to that Goodwill once and found like 5 or 6 full J Crew suits or dresses (or some combination) with the retail tags still on them. I think she got them all for just over $100 and each individual suit cost more than that. Westport is insane and it only gets crazier the further south into CT you go. Every time you go to the Westport shopping center the main drag there is just covered in porsches, BMW's, maseratis, teslas, etc.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

yronic heroism posted:

Did anyone try cutting some ads with the tape? Sounds like it would have been worth a couple mil in ads at least.

They’ve run some variation of this ad all three elections.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

This made me wonder, have we ever had a little person in the house or as a circuit judge?

Lil' Bob Corker

Thermal Anomaly
Jul 1, 2017

by Cyrano4747

Xand_Man posted:

One of the puff pieces on Lindsay Graham talked about him downing slugs of beer and taking drags on cigarettes as a Six year old at his parents' bar to get laughs.

I keep thinking about that anecdote. About the damage a person has to have if they were willing to ignore their little body screaming :siren:this is toxic:siren: because it gets a laugh from people they see as authority figures.

Seems to me a person with damage like that will always be willing to debase themselves further; there is no rock bottom for them to hit.

That's weird for sure but I would blame the adults in the room not the six-year-old

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Thaddius the Large posted:

Tell you what, I’ll agree to it, but only if we make it so a tax increase on the top 20% of taxpayers requires only 1/5 of congress to agree.

I'd get behind it in this condition only.

Otherwise, for merely proposing this terrible idea, I condemn democrats to another 2 years of justified "Dems Bad" chat.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Thermal Anomaly posted:

That's weird for sure but I would blame the adults in the room not the six-year-old

It’s not really a statement of blame, it’s an observation on what the six year old is being conditioned to do.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

LegendaryFrog posted:

I'd get behind it in this condition only.

Otherwise, for merely proposing this terrible idea, I condemn democrats to another 2 years of justified "Dems Bad" chat.

That only punishes the Democrats itt, though

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

2018 Midterms in one image

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/johnson_carrie/status/1063478574668279808

And now Trump is turning on Pence
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1063485858546880512

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

The voters gave them power, so naturally they must concoct rules to undermine said power.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

RiggenBlaque posted:

My wife went to that Goodwill once and found like 5 or 6 full J Crew suits or dresses (or some combination) with the retail tags still on them. I think she got them all for just over $100 and each individual suit cost more than that. Westport is insane and it only gets crazier the further south into CT you go. Every time you go to the Westport shopping center the main drag there is just covered in porsches, BMW's, maseratis, teslas, etc.

Westchester is a lot like this too if you know where to look.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

friendbot2000 posted:

gently caress you for making me feel sorry for Lindsay Graham. Jesus, that is so loving horrible...no wonder he is this way.

Go watch his unhinged tirade during the Kavanaugh hearing again. Do not feel sorry for him. Whether it was an awful upbringing or largely his own doing he is a loving garbage monster who takes glee in hurting and suppressing people he sees beneath him.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Thermal Anomaly posted:

100% agree but I feel like it helps me understand why Lindsey Graham is Lindsay Graham.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Kobayashi posted:

The voters gave them power, so naturally they must concoct rules to undermine said power.

OK I don't get how this is a bad thing? For the next two years it's not like they're going to be able to pass any good laws, So at least this change will prevent some potentially bad laws from passing. While true that it doesn't reduce the threshold for raising taxes on the top 80% it does leave it at a simple majority.

The bottom 80% don't really have the resources to afford tax increases while the top 20% can much more easily weather increases and the upper end of that range definitely could do to pay more.

As far as any negative issues involved the Democrats can easily change the rule back once they get into a position to pass any decent bills.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What has Pence even been doing recently?

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Critical posted:

Go watch his unhinged tirade during the Kavanaugh hearing again. Do not feel sorry for him. Whether it was an awful upbringing or largely his own doing he is a loving garbage monster who takes glee in hurting and suppressing people he sees beneath him.

Honestly, this does seem very out of historical character for him. Not necessarily in intent, the guy is a big time conservative, but in delivery, I guess... Like something else is going on because you have people that are partisan that note that his behavior over the last few months has been beyond anything they've ever seen out of him.

I know we want to ascribe it all to how lovely the GOP is now and I would be inclined to do that too, but...something else is going on with Graham. I'd bet money on it. It's just one of those things that I've honed in on that really sticks out in all this mess.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Skex posted:

OK I don't get how this is a bad thing? For the next two years it's not like their going to be able to pass any good laws, So at least this change will prevent some potentially bad laws from passing. While true that it doesn't reduce the threshold for raising taxes on the top 80% it does leave it at a simple majority.

The bottom 80% don't really have the resources to afford tax increases while the top 20% can much more easily weather increases and the upper end of that range definitely could do to pay more.

As far as any negative issues involved the Democrats can easily change the rule back once they get into a position to pass any decent bills.

It's a very bad plan, because either you have to waive it after 2020, or you pointlessly cripple your ability to pass bills that might raise taxes by a whole dollar on one random guy because, say, he has a low amount of normal income but a monumental trust fund that happened to post a loss last year. Second, it buys into republican messaging that Tax Hikes Are Always Bad and gives fuel to expand that to all tax hikes. Third, a lot of the middle class pays an abnormally low tax rate compared to other countries. Fourth, something like "we will raise your taxes slightly, but replace your need to buy health insurance thanks to UHC!" is a tax hike.

It's just a stupid, bad idea when they should be running on raising taxes for the rich instead of buying into the messaging that utterly failed when Republicans tried it this year.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Critical posted:

It is possible to feel empathy for someone and the terrible experiences they went through AND not approve of their behavior. I think this is a sad glimpse into what made Graham the Lindsay Graham we see today. What happened to him was sad and bad and what he is doing is also sad and bad. These are not mutually exclusive

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Skex posted:

OK I don't get how this is a bad thing? For the next two years it's not like they're going to be able to pass any good laws, So at least this change will prevent some potentially bad laws from passing. While true that it doesn't reduce the threshold for raising taxes on the top 80% it does leave it at a simple majority.

Yeah if anything this seems like it would make it harder to raise taxes on the lower and middle class, which is never a bad thing. I'm with Skex on this one.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

What has Pence even been doing recently?

Dunno about recently but be sure to put on your horse covered footie pajamas becuase it's pizza and Odouls night.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Skex posted:

OK I don't get how this is a bad thing? For the next two years it's not like their going to be able to pass any good laws, So at least this change will prevent some potentially bad laws from passing. While true that it doesn't reduce the threshold for raising taxes on the top 80% it does leave it at a simple majority.

I was thinking this as well. The fact that this is paired with their elimination of dynamic pricing in regards to bills(the chief mechanism the Republicans tried to prove that their tax cuts were not a cash grab by the wealthy and harmful to the economy) seems like they are putting some insurance to making sure that kind of tax bill can't be done again. IIRC the tax bill will eventually raise taxes on the lower and middle class. This rule change could be their way of making sure that doesn't happen again or conversely make it so those tax cuts won't expire? This is mostly conjecture, I could be wrong

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1063488399519170560

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

lol pence will sell trump out in a heart beat. at best pence views him a useful vessel for jesus or whatever. but he probaly loaths trump and if he thinks he can either look like a hero or get the throne. he will toss trump.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Your Taint posted:

Yeah if anything this seems like it would make it harder to raise taxes on the lower and middle class, which is never a bad thing.

nah i usually think people are overreacting, but this is a terrible loving idea that needs to be stomped on asap

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

friendbot2000 posted:

I was thinking this as well. The fact that this is paired with their elimination of dynamic pricing in regards to bills(the chief mechanism the Republicans tried to prove that their tax cuts were not a cash grab by the wealthy and harmful to the economy) seems like they are putting some insurance to making sure that kind of tax bill can't be done again. IIRC the tax bill will eventually raise taxes on the lower and middle class. This rule change could be their way of making sure that doesn't happen again or conversely make it so those tax cuts won't expire? This is mostly conjecture, I could be wrong

The House cannot bind future sessions of the House. It's a stupid idea through and through and will not block republicans from doing bad things one loving bit.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I was about to post that the supermajority rule for tax increases on the bottom 80% is toothless because a simple majority can just revoke it at any time, but then I realized what is probably obvious. Once this rule is in place, it would be politically difficult for this or any future house to ever revoke it because you are literally casting a vote in favor of explicitly raising taxes on the lower and middle class.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

EmbryoSteve posted:

It is possible to feel empathy for someone and the terrible experiences they went through AND not approve of their behavior. I think this is a sad glimpse into what made Graham the Lindsay Graham we see today. What happened to him was sad and bad and what he is doing is also sad and bad. These are not mutually exclusive

I suppose this is fair. I just keep picturing him literally snarling with rage and spitting venom about fairness and payback while a sexual assault victim was sitting in front of him.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

He's worried Pence won't pardon him/his kids.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Critical posted:

horse covered footie pajamas

Pence should really wash them; that's disgusting.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

I was about to post that the supermajority rule for tax increases on the bottom 80% is toothless because a simple majority can just revoke it at any time, but then I realized what is probably obvious. Once this rule is in place, it would be politically difficult for this or any future house to ever revoke it because you are literally casting a vote in favor of explicitly raising taxes on the lower and middle class.

literally the only thing it does is hand republicans a talking point when you need to pass a revenue bill that raises taxes on one person in the bottom 80% of income, which includes some people who are hilariously wealthy but have low income at any one time

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmfao this is his dumbest lie yet

https://twitter.com/jseldin/status/1063490774598332416

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

literally the only thing it does is hand republicans a talking point when you need to pass a revenue bill that raises taxes on one person in the bottom 80% of income, which includes some people who are hilariously wealthy but have low income at any one time

I'm not saying its a good thing, I'm just saying this rule might be hard to get rid of once it is in place.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Who's the almost

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I know you can't fire your VP, but do it you Macy's balloon reject. Do it.

Dooooooooo ittttttt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

galagazombie posted:

About the Cortez suit thing. There is a huge subset of Americans (some of them are family) that are massively offended that people can buy goods of equal quality at lower prices. I've had people get angry when I showed them product X (same brand and same size) can be found at the dollar store instead of wherever they buy it. Being thrifty is actually something the middle class has been trained to vehemently hate. It doesn't surprise me one whit that some of these people are mad you can get a fine looking suit without being ripped off by the scam that is the formal wear industry.

It’s also that being thrifty often means investing in a fewer number of workhorse items instead of repeatedly having to buy bottom-barrel poo poo.

It reminds me of having lived in Maine and NH. Rural poverty is rampant there but everybody invests in a few pieces of LL Bean and North Face, etc outerwear because the winter and following “mud season” (from March to May) are always brutal. It’s better to have one coat or pair of boots that can put up with anything, look good, and also last years (plus those generous warranties).