Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Rewarding you with more xp for chaining and better throws is a master stroke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Honestly, I can get why the candies work how they do. It's probably much easier to feed your Pokemon candies than it is to travel the whole map leveling up, so it makes fighting the Masters way easier.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I usually just spray repels once I feel I've seen what a Route has to offer. I also categorically refuse to use Quick or Dusk balls even if they're objectively better than other balls, because they ugly. Anything I intend to use on my team gets a Luxury or Premier ball, or an apricorn ball if possible. Ultra, Dive and Timer balls are allowed, but not ideal.
Ok this is definitely very far removed from how I enjoy pokemon, but hopefully the 2019 game has some sort of genius design that doesn't maker either of our playstyles more annoying!

Also having to keep repel on hand at all times is a bit annoying too. I hope at the very least the next game ditches the random encounters too in favour of pokemon on the map.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

It is definitely a big improvement.

edit: the removal of random battles

If they kept the Pokémon appearing in the overworld and let you avoid them in the next real game, I would be very appreciative. Anything to avoid another Zubat cave or sea that is 80% Tentacool by volume.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
the pokeball is hilarious

worth it

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Geostomp posted:

If they kept the Pokémon appearing in the overworld and let you avoid them in the next real game, I would be very appreciative. Anything to avoid another Zubat cave or sea that is 80% Tentacool by volume.

I'd like this, usually I just have repels on all the time now anyway. As long as you still get to battle / capture them normally.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Quotey posted:

the pokeball is hilarious

worth it

Innitially I got real mad that the ball never threw where I wanted it to so I started using the joycon, then I took a break and came back and realised the gyro is just really good, way better than a joycon and makes hitting moving pokes way easier.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
What are Red and Green’s teams?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVKhReohR1U

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Yeah, they mention in a reply tweet that this is in handheld mode and they cherry-picked the worst drops. So this does not seem to be a common thing and will likely be a non-issue if you're playing on the TV with a Pokeball like God intended.

No one read that reply tweet. The initial video has been shared constantly, and everything is basically making GBS threads on this game's performance, despite never playing it. I can't believe someone was so disingenuous on the internet!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m in Viridian Forest right now looking for a Bulbasaur and it really is only in that one section of the forest that I’ve noticed the slowdown

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Amppelix posted:

Let's Go is making me realize that I haven't liked wild pokemon encounters for a while now and would not miss them one bit if they never came back.

same, I get the new 'real' pokemon game likely won't have these catch controls which is fine I like them but I'm ok with it being like Rangers where this line has a special silly capture method and the main line sticks with the norm. I will however be suuuuuper bummed to go back to the old wild pokemon system though. You can still get cornered (I had a pokemon literally poof into existence like one step away from me making me walk into it and caves look super tight to navigate around big groups and all), you still have to hunt down the rare spawns and all, but it just looks so much cooler and it's way less annoying to turn the usual 'ugh I gotta spend this whole cave two shotting zubats every five steps because I forgot repel' into a more real feeling thing.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i appreciate how close they got to recreating the cartoon intro's shots using game footage

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I usually just spray repels once I feel I've seen what a Route has to offer. I also categorically refuse to use Quick or Dusk balls even if they're objectively better than other balls, because they ugly. Anything I intend to use on my team gets a Luxury or Premier ball, or an apricorn ball if possible. Ultra, Dive and Timer balls are allowed, but not ideal.

OK but what about Net and Heal Balls?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Oh my god help. I have been nostalgia'd. It hurts.

Someone get the plate number!

I started up the game enough to get a girl Eevee (because why not girl Eevee?), and nickname it. I promised my husband we would play the game together so now I have to wait until he gets home to play more. The wait is going to be torture...but when he gets home we're going to eat pizza and play Pokemon together. It's going to be great!

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Byolante posted:

Innitially I got real mad that the ball never threw where I wanted it to so I started using the joycon, then I took a break and came back and realised the gyro is just really good, way better than a joycon and makes hitting moving pokes way easier.

i havent gotten used to th econtrol stick yes so i keep running into pidgeys unless i check how im holding it every so often. it could use one more button too imo

can you do curve throws like in go?

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
Dumped my poo poo pikachu into a box the second I found a pikachu I can evolve, Raichu is superior in all ways, even in cuteness levels.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Dumped my poo poo pikachu into a box the second I found a pikachu I can evolve, Raichu is superior in all ways, even in cuteness levels.

Is this you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UTvSFk_T7s

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mordor She Wrote posted:

gently caress off lt surge

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Opinion: Magikarp Helped Me Accept Being Useless Until My Twenties

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

LionArcher posted:

Wait, you can’t use a pro controller?

is this true lmao. loving nintendo

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

is this true lmao. loving nintendo
If you're playing on the tv you can only use the pokeball or a single joycon

that's right not even both joycons

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

no buys

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Split joycons is the best way to play most anything. That's disappointing to hear.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

Split joycons is the best way to play most anything. That's disappointing to hear.

You genuinely don’t need more than 1 joycon to do everything in game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I know that it doesn't need that many buttons and sensors, but I still can't have my arms apart with a single controller.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Bongo Bill posted:

I know that it doesn't need that many buttons and sensors, but I still can't have my arms apart with a single controller.

Bro you hold the controller in one hand. The other hand is empty.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've found it comfortable to use the left joycon, use my left hand on the joystick and place my right hand on the buttons.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
https://twitter.com/ldspaiao/status/1063240799012429824

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Dehry posted:

I've found it comfortable to use the left joycon, use my left hand on the joystick and place my right hand on the buttons.

Also, I don't think the game mentions this, but you can use the shoulder button instead of A. The glorious return of L=A, now in R form!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Chill Penguin posted:

OK but what about Net and Heal Balls?

Net and Nest are fine, Heal bad. I guess I mostlike dislike the gen IV balls. Beast Balls are A+ though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So at what level does Evee start learning its elemental moves (or if you get them some other way, how do you do that)? I'm at Lv. 12 right now and all I've got is Double Kick.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

gently caress this. gently caress you

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Larryb posted:

So at what level does Evee start learning its elemental moves (or if you get them some other way, how do you do that)? I'm at Lv. 12 right now and all I've got is Double Kick.

Cerulean Pokemon Center.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

absolutely anything posted:

gently caress this. gently caress you

hey I'm real glad that sin didn't get completely ignored thank you for your service

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Cerulean Pokemon Center.

Ah, so do you pick them up all at once or is it spread throughout the game? If it's the former, what are the best moves to grab as far as coverage goes?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 16, 2018

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

no, but it sure would be nice to be able to move the stick with one thumb and press buttons with the other!!!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Larryb posted:

Ah, so do you pick them up all at once or is it spread throughout the game? If it's the former, what are the best moves to grab?

There’s a dude at the center that has 3 (fire water electric). I’m guessing the rest are spread out throughout the game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So Pikachu and Eevee aren't quite as busted in Go as was reported

Pikachu: 045/080/050/075/060/120; BST = 430.
Eevee: 065/075/070/065/085/075; BST = 435

They have BSTs on par with 2nd stage starters instead of end stage so they don't just completely roll the game. Especially without abilities and held items.

The ability to pump +200 points into every stat for any pokemon is the more :psyduck: decision that wrecks any semblance of balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Unless the candies give a ton of points per then maxing out a pokemon is a giant loving unnecessary grind.