Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I just found out they wrapped up the Juno plotline of Assassin's Creed (which was the main modern day bit at the very end of AC3 and all of AC4, Unity and Syndicate) in a loving comic.

I looked this up out of sheer curiosity a few weeks ago and was genuinely stunned. What on earth kind of mismanagement was going on here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
What the gently caress? I was one of the dozens of people who actually liked that plot!

Got spoilers for it?

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

OutOfPrint posted:

What the gently caress? I was one of the dozens of people who actually liked that plot!

Got spoilers for it?

Not empty quoting

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

OutOfPrint posted:

Got spoilers for it?

The wiki has a pretty detailed recap of the comic storyline, but it also follows on from some of the other comics and spinoff stuff (eg the Koh-i-noor).

The really, really short summary is that Juno uses the Shroud to make a new body for herself and she gets killed when the Assassins and Templars team up. Also Desmond's son is a Sage and now has the Koh-i-Noor.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
That's the only reason I played the first 3 (5) games!

Holy poo poo that's awfully and kills all motivation to continue.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Ubisoft has very clearly had no idea what the gently caress they were doing with the modern day plotline right from the first game. Which is why AC1 is all "Hey, the Templars are going to use a Piece of Eden to create mind control satellites" and the Ezio Trilogy/3 are "THE SUN IS GOING TO EXPLODE".

Did those mind control satellites ever get resolved?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Still out there, controlling everyone's minds.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

IIRC the sun didn't explode.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

IIRC the sun didn't explode.

Desmond sacrificed himself to stop the solar flare which had the terrible consequence of releasing the terrible sealed evil who proceeded to body swap into a bacta tank and get shot in the head in a comic spinoff

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I haven't played Odyssey yet, but are they still doing the extremely basic "You're playing an Abstergo game" metafictional wrapper or have they even ditched that? I assume there's no actual present day gameplay anymore.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

I haven't played Odyssey yet, but are they still doing the extremely basic "You're playing an Abstergo game" metafictional wrapper or have they even ditched that? I assume there's no actual present day gameplay anymore.

Actually there is, like in Origins there are few sequences in which you play the woman who uses a portable Animus to relive history and find alien stuff. I think since Origins she and her team went rogue and Abstergo is chasing them?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

orcane posted:

Actually there is, like in Origins there are few sequences in which you play the woman who uses a portable Animus to relive history and find alien stuff. I think since Origins she and her team went rogue and Abstergo is chasing them?

For gently caress's sake. This stuff is actively putting me off the series at this point. Is the modern day stuff at least skippable/short?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Necrothatcher posted:

For gently caress's sake. This stuff is actively putting me off the series at this point. Is the modern day stuff at least skippable/short?

It's like 10 minutes in a game with hundreds of hours of content.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

kazil posted:

It's like 10 minutes in a game with hundreds of hours of content.

Okay good - I just had visions of slowly trudging around an office block reading people's emails again.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I love that the follow-up to a game called "Origins" is a prequel.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Just give it five years. Origins will be the seventh game in the series' chronological history before you know it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Just give it five years. Origins will be the seventh game in the series' chronological history before you know it.

Assassin's Creed Primal confirmed

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Can't wait for the Creed game where you play as a dinosaur.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Assasins Creed Revalations contained no Revalations. And only one (botched) assassination.

Lots of Creed though I think

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Assasins Creed Revalations contained no Revalations. And only one (botched) assassination.

Lots of Creed though I think

It did, the revelation was that all of Ezio's life was basically a way for the ancient aliens to convey a message to Desmond which amounted to "hang in there baby"

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017

Sunswipe posted:

i want a cutscene where a t-rex tries unsuccessfully to use a wrist blade with its tiny arms

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Necrothatcher posted:

There are 3 modern day sequences in a game that can take 100 hours to beat, all of them adding up to about 15 minutes altogether if I'm being generous.

Currently Ubisoft is in the process of trying to ghost the Assassin's Creed metaplot altogether. Pretty soon they won't respond to their texts at all.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Doctor Spaceman posted:

While the trailer for Rayman Origins showed a scene of the main character being created, not only didn't the scene make it into the game, but it was the latest chronological entry the series.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Wait how does the Peloponnesian war come before ancient Egypt? (Please excuse my ignorance I haven't played either game yet)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Oblique Angle posted:

Wait how does the Peloponnesian war come before ancient Egypt? (Please excuse my ignorance I haven't played either game yet)

Origins wasn't Ancient Egypt. It was Egypt when Cleopatra and Caesar were around.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Oblique Angle posted:

Origins takes place in Ptolemaic Egypt (c. 40 CE), the Pelopponesian War took place from ~431-422 BCE. What we commonly refer to as "Ancient Egypt" existed for thousands and thousands of years. The most famously cited factoid is that Cleopatra lived closer to our time than the building of the Great Pyramids.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

There are 3 modern day sequences in a game that can take 100 hours to beat, all of them adding up to about 15 minutes altogether if I'm being generous.

Currently Ubisoft is in the process of trying to ghost the Assassin's Creed metaplot altogether. Pretty soon they won't respond to their texts at all.

All three of those modern sequences involve platforming or stealth killing, too, so you're actually doing assassin stuff instead of slowly trudging around an office with a French Canadian in a turtleneck throwing plot at you.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Desmond sacrificed himself to stop the solar flare which had the terrible consequence of releasing the terrible sealed evil who proceeded to body swap into a bacta tank and get shot in the head in a comic spinoff

Technically he didn't stop the solar flare, he simply killed himself to use alien tech to shield the world from it.

Would've been a fitting end to the series, tbh. Just finished reading the comic, can't believe the finished off an 8-game series' overarching plot with a 12-issue comic. Like, if I was someone who actually followed the games, I'd be fuckin' annoyed as hell.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Thanks for the Odyssey info.

Sunswipe posted:

I would unironically slam down a pre-order if that happened with realistic dinosaurs.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

exquisite tea posted:

Origins takes place in Ptolemaic Egypt (c. 40 CE), the Pelopponesian War took place from ~431-422 BCE. What we commonly refer to as "Ancient Egypt" existed for thousands and thousands of years. The most famously cited factoid is that Cleopatra lived closer to our time than the building of the Great Pyramids.

Also, Cleopatra didn't speak Egyptian, she spoke Greek.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Schubalts posted:

Thanks for the Odyssey info.

I would unironically slam down a pre-order if that happened with realistic dinosaurs.

Pretend I posted a screenshot from Trespasser here :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In our world of endlessly repurposed nostalgia I cannot BELIEVE nobody has seriously attempted to reboot Trespasser. It's the perfect embodiment of a great idea that came way too early.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Cythereal posted:

Also, Cleopatra didn't speakwasn't Egyptian, she spokewas Greek.

Let's not mince words.

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

Cythereal posted:

She actually spoke both. She one of the only Ptolemaic monarchs to actually do so and it was a part of why they called her "the new is is".

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

If movies and video games have taught me anything Greek and Latin are just English with a British accent.

Schubalts posted:

If and when we get an antediluvian AC that takes place in Isu times we better get rideable dinosaurs. I want to assassinate an ancient alien with a loving triceratops, Ubisoft!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

OutOfPrint posted:

If and when we get an antediluvian AC that takes place in Isu times we better get rideable dinosaurs. I want to assassinate an ancient alien with a loving triceratops, Ubisoft!

I, too, want another Turok game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

OutOfPrint posted:

If movies and video games have taught me anything Greek and Latin are just English with a British accent.

And Egyptians are just Europeans with a little bit of smoky eye.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

RyokoTK posted:

I, too, want another Turok game.

I want a modern Rage Wars so bad.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

orcane posted:

She has a laptop where you can read about all the metaplot stuff, or ignore it as you please. I thought that was clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Does the laptop have Codex entries? Because poo poo, I really needed those, I know jack poo poo of ancient history.