Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

tarbrush posted:

You missed out "manoeuvre for party leadership out of habit", but otherwise yes.

oh right I forgot the gove backstab attempt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Yinlock posted:

so to sum up what I know of the tory brexit plan

- Realize you got played hard
- Wait for the EU to come begging to you to stay
- This doesn't happen
- Hope a plan that both lets you brexit AND fixes everything will magically appear in your office one morning
- This doesn't happen
- Bravely announce that you're going forward with your brexit strategy, which is still nothing

yes

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Why is there a "-21" for the SNP block?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

prefect posted:

They lost 21 seats in 2017. Not sure why they included it here

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Humiliation for loser Clegg.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

What is the DUP position? Are they pro-leave, or just pro do whatever is best for NI? If they cut off May would they shift in support of remain?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Yinlock posted:

so to sum up what I know of the tory brexit plan

- Realize you got played hard
- Wait for the EU to come begging to you to stay
- This doesn't happen
- Hope a plan that both lets you brexit AND fixes everything will magically appear in your office one morning
- This doesn't happen
- Bravely announce that you're going forward with your brexit strategy, which is still nothing

I don’t think you have a firm grasp of the current situation.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

alphabettitouretti posted:

What is the DUP position? Are they pro-leave, or just pro do whatever is best for NI? If they cut off May would they shift in support of remain?

They’re Pro-leave because the EU contains Ireland who they want to get as far away from as possible. Unfortunately Mays deal will end up with them closer to Ireland than they would be to the UK so it is completely off the table for them.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seems like they might have a hard time getting further away from Ireland

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
1 billion can buy a lot of diggers and some sails.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fans posted:

1 billion can buy a lot of diggers and some sails.

I wonder how much it would cost to build a river-sized canal along the whole border. I don't even know who I'd ask to find that out.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

prefect posted:

I wonder how much it would cost to build a river-sized canal along the whole border. I don't even know who I'd ask to find that out.

I presume it'd be shorter than the Panama canal, and wouldn't need to be as deep or wide.

It's about as realistic as the rest of their whack job ideas tbh

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

tarbrush posted:

I presume it'd be shorter than the Panama canal, and wouldn't need to be as deep or wide.

It's about as realistic as the rest of their whack job ideas tbh

I’ve done some research and the Panama Canal is 50 miles long, with the Northern Ireland border being a significantly longer 310 miles.

I suppose this could be shortened by ‘smoothing’ it out at the expense of leaving some bits of Northern Ireland south of the moat.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Pissflaps posted:

I’ve done some research and the Panama Canal is 50 miles long, with the Northern Ireland border being a significantly longer 310 miles.

I suppose this could be shortened by ‘smoothing’ it out at the expense of leaving some bits of Northern Ireland south of the moat.

Man, I'm good at being wrong in this thread.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That's a good plan if you want the IRA to come back as strong as ever imo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Saudi Arabia are planning to/have started digging a trench to turn Qatar into an island lol

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

prefect posted:

I bet the DUP would know.

But the only thing anyone will be digging up in Northern Ireland any time soon is Armalites.

I would blow Dane Cook has issued a correction as of 16:29 on Nov 16, 2018

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The fucks bisto

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
bisto means bisto

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

alphabettitouretti posted:

(disclaimer: not British, just watching all this from afar, could be wrong)

as the UK leaves the EU, they're going to have to deal with inspecting goods through customs

you can't stop uninspected goods at the border if you ... don't have a border, but there isn't a border between Ireland and NI, and it would be very difficult (to say the least!) to make and enforce one

so, the compromise plan is to allow NI to still have access to the EU market, so that the lack of a border isn't going to be an issue. Meanwhile, anything coming into England would then go through customs, since it's much easier to control the entry of goods if it has to go through ships and ports

the problem with this plan is that if NI gets a "free pass" like this, it opens up the possibility of just reintegrating NI into Ireland entirely ... and that's what the DUP does not want

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
that isn’t ‘the plan’, that’s the backstop for if no better arrangement can be worked out during trade negotiations

it’s also the same plan that will cover the rest of the uk. there specifically wouldn’t be any customs checks between the Eu and anywhere in the uk - either during the transition period or if the backstop kicks in

the DUP’s problem is there is this idea that NI would have deeper harmonisation with the Eu than the rest of the uk - I’m not certain myself if that deeper harmonisation has been defined, but any difference is too much for them.

Pissflaps has issued a correction as of 16:47 on Nov 16, 2018

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone said gently caress the DUP yet bc gently caress the DUP

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Moridin920 posted:

Relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpLfvBcxjyo

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
amber Rudd has just got back in the cabinet and she’s supportive of a second referendum

https://twitter.com/itvpeston/status/1045039015106248704

I thought the idea was going nowhere but it does seem to be gaining a certain momentum

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They should call the DUP members "Doopies"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Now there is an actually defined deal a second referendum is an easier sell

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I don't see a political way to have a second referendum on this deal. If it gets through parliament, it's the deal and it happens. If it doesn't, you have a remain/no deal referendum

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Can a referendum have 3 boxes?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
it can.

and I assume it can have branching though I’m not sure how complex they can become before they reduce in effectiveness

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
At the other extreme, I think we're well aware now of what happens when you reduce an incredibly complex proposal into a binary choice.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1063477688369848320

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
who did she write that for?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

Loads of us have. Unfortunately nobody in the coalition government have yet.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Pissflaps posted:

who did she write that for?

Thatcher

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

The fucks bisto

gently caress knows what you'd call it. You don't even know what biscuits are.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

The only thing that matters is that there will be adequate amounts of it.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

There Might Be Blood

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

prefect posted:

Who are these "others"? Are there tiny local parties?

Y'all gonna get Rees-mogged

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

twoday posted:

Who are these "others"? Are there tiny local parties?
It's like the one green MP, the one UKIP MP, a few independents, I think Plaid have a couple, p sure by running the numbers that the graph (wisely) does not include SF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Also the LibDems are classed as others there.