Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

acksplode posted:

Speakers are gonna be the part of your home theater that ages the best, they won't go obsolete like your TV or receiver will. And I think people underestimate what quality audio can do for a game or movie. Good speakers are worth the investment if you can afford it. Mine have lasted ten years and idk if I'll ever replace them. If I were building a home theater from scratch again, I'd put a few hundred dollars into a good receiver and a couple high quality bookshelf speakers -- I'll take great stereo over surround sound on cheap equipment. Then over time I'd incrementally add a subwoofer and the rest of the 5.1 setup as I can afford it.

Whats a reciever? People always talk about them but ive never had a set up with one. Is it just a box all your speakers attach to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

If late 2020 is the target date for PS5, what are the odds that the HZD sequel will be on both PS4 and PS5 as a launch title? They've been working on it for a good bit now, how long have the 5 dev kits been rumored to be in the wild?

I think last we heard Cerny was visiting studios gathering wish-lists from developers, any PS5 dev kit is probably just a PC box with equivalent target-hardware at this point. IIRC the PS4 final spec changed a couple of times from its initial target so I doubt it would be fully nailed down yet.
I'd be extremely surprised if many devs have had this hardware for more than a year but 1st party studios like Guerrilla are probably privy to this info much earlier than others.

BisterdDave posted:

PS4 was the first console I bought on launch, and it taught me to never buy a console on launch. I bought AC:Black Flag just because I wanted something other than Killzone to play, and I'm not a fan of AC games. Definitely could've waited several months at least.

And with that, Happy 5th b-day PS4!

PS4 was also the first console I bought at launch and no regrets. Impressed that it's survived 5 years of near-daily use. It's also now overtaken PS3 in lifetime sales!

Hits:
- I was really sceptical of the share button and the auto-recording video feature at first but this turned out to be really neat.
- The controller design is great and a huge huge step up from the DS3.
- Nice to finally play pretty much everything in 1080p, after the previous generation promised so much and delivered everything at 720p (or less) barring maybe a couple of games.
- Fast and responsive UI.
- Really impressed that the launch PS4 has HDR support, that's forward-thinking.

Misses:
- Touchpad on DS4 as expected was barely used by anything and turned out to kill battery life, please remove on DS5.
- Likewise the camera was pointless until they built PSVR around it.
- The loading times on a lot of games is really long, anyone who's played launch-Bloodborne or The Witcher 3 will know the pain, let's hope they improve this next time.
- 500GB default hard drive isn't enough, some AAA games are now clocking in at 100GB.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The rumor was that the PS5 devkits would be working off Ryzen-series CPUs which gives me a little hope that Sony won't completely cheap out on processors this generation. Maybe we can finally play open-world games that don't have to rely on really aggressive texture streaming or exorbitant load times to run at 30fps.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Black Friday sale is live now in PSN store

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/11/15/black-friday-sale-at-playstation-store/

God of war, $22

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I hope PS5 still use physical disc.

Sony can ban you for any stupid reasons (like recently they banned people for entering a cd-keys streamers where gifting) and having all digital everything make me nervous.

It would be "hilarious" if PS5 is a full digital console and XboxOne2 uses blue rays.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Tei posted:

I hope PS5 still use physical disc.

Sony can ban you for any stupid reasons (like recently they banned people for entering a cd-keys streamers where gifting) and having all digital everything make me nervous.

It would be "hilarious" if PS5 is a full digital console and XboxOne2 uses blue rays.

Yeah about that

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Montalvo posted:

What's the secret to not dying within the first 5 seconds of the parking lot fighting minigame in Yakuza 0? Should I pick up some extra rush style skills and come back to it, or do I just need to get good?

Also Miss Tatsu is the best character in this game so far (I am in Chapter 2).

Ummmm, I guess sidestep and just keep running around the ring trying to avoid them? That's really all you can do I think, since any attack will get you disqualified.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Real hurthling! posted:

Whats a reciever? People always talk about them but ive never had a set up with one. Is it just a box all your speakers attach to?

On the most basic level yeah, it's going to drive your speakers and subwoofer and also handle all your different audio/visual inputs and switch between them and make sure it all sounds the best it can.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Detroit is £25 in the UK but I still don’t think that’s enough for me yet

Everything else I already bought like an impatient idiot

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

I still feel real weird about the entire concept of a PS5. Like it feels as if the PS4 has only been around for two years or something, but I guess time goes by a lot faster when ya get old. Anyways I would be happy with the graphic quality we have now, so I don't really see a reason personally for an upgrade other than not getting the newest games, and as such a 'new gen' of consoles feels completely worthless for me. Hell, I would be totally okay with most PS4 games looking like PS3 games with better draw distance and load times. I've finally hit the point where I don't really see a lot of reason for improving the graphical fidelity in video games and would rather see money go towards gameplay improvements, which hardware usually has fairly little to do with.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
MH:W $25
Shadow of the Tomb Raider $30
Last of Us Remastered $6!!! I am def getting this one

Those are the ones that stuck out to me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ideal situation for me is PS5 is announced so people will shut up, but will not be ready until 2023

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
everyone gets like this at release. Then once it's released everyone will complain that there are not enough games, then in a few years its going to be "year of the PS5" when a bunch of amazing exclusives come out, then the same poo poo happens with the PS6, then again until we die

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Hollow Knight for $7.49 is cheap enough for me to buy it even if I never get around to playing it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

J-Spot posted:

Hollow Knight for $7.49 is cheap enough for me to buy it even if I never get around to playing it.

Hollow Knight is a loving excellent A++ game, but if you are a cool-guy Switch owner I would recommend playing it there. I think Metroid-style games benefit from being played on a mobile platform.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

J-Spot posted:

It has a hump in the first hour or two but it clicks after that I think

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

PantsBandit posted:

Hollow Knight is a loving excellent A++ game, but if you are a cool-guy Switch owner I would recommend playing it there. I think Metroid-style games benefit from being played on a mobile platform.

Does anything ever go on sale on Switch? Every time I browse games they’re full price

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Does anything ever go on sale on Switch? Every time I browse games they’re full price

Nintendo has actually been decent about sales this generation, though they still don't do it with the same frequency as Sony/Steam/Microsoft. If you keep an eye out you can find some decent specials from time to time.

Hollow Knight sold gangbusters on Switch though, so they may not discount it there for a while.

Steve Yun posted:

It has a hump in the first hour or two but it clicks after that I think

Yeah I see a lot of people whine about the movement not feeling good or feeling lost or whatever in the early game and it's like, have you never played a Metroid game before? You have to feel weak at the beginning so you can feel like a golden god at the end as you zip across areas without touching the ground and murder enemies without breaking a sweat.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

PantsBandit posted:

I did consider getting it on Switch but I heard it had some performance issues. Plus I would probably play it docked more often than not so I might as well go with the $7.49 PS4 version.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

J-Spot posted:

I did consider getting it on Switch but I heard it had some performance issues. Plus I would probably play it docked more often than not so I might as well go with the $7.49 PS4 version.

If you'd rather play it on the tv then by all means get the cheaper version. For what it's worth though, I had zero performance issues on Switch (I played mostly handheld) over the course of my 60+ hours with that game.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

J-Spot posted:

I did not have any performance issues and its one of my favorite games now so any system you get it on, you will love it

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

The rumor was that the PS5 devkits would be working off Ryzen-series CPUs which gives me a little hope that Sony won't completely cheap out on processors this generation. Maybe we can finally play open-world games that don't have to rely on really aggressive texture streaming or exorbitant load times to run at 30fps.

From what I understand, and this is from a goon discord the other day when I brought up the very issue of PS4 load times (I used MHW as a comparison), they are long due to how the memory encryption works because it uses a separate CPU that's not that good and uses a USB bus despite having a SATA interface - which may explain why SSDs don't offer much, if any, load time improvements.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Injustice 2 legendary edition for $18.

I liked the first game but wasnt going to jump into a dlc pit. This might have hit a gently caress it price.

Seems like fightmans have moved on to SC6 but I just wanna punch heros. Hmmm but smash brothers in 3 weeks...what to do.

God of War for 22 should be an instant buy for anyone who was waiting on a price drop. Hel of a game. shut up beanpole

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Injustice 2 has a lot of enjoyable single-player content and superhero dress-up even if the online is dead + everybody still playing will murder you in seconds.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That God of War price is insane

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Escobarbarian posted:

That God of War price is insane

That's definitely the star of the sale.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Oh, cool.

RDR2 has hidden locations! I didn't know. I just found an awesome, loving creepy rear end cave behind the waterfall at Elysium Pool.

There is so much hidden/obscure stuff in that game, just judging from two clips I watched on Youtube - ghosts, a ghost train, a vampire (or dude claiming to be one) and tons of hats and unique weapons hidden at remote locations (like a conquistador on top of a mountain with a helmet).

I have stopped watching those clips for fear of getting spoilered, since I am still in chapter 2, but it seems Rockstar has put an insane amount of content into this game that 90% of players will never even see.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HKXLRioA1k

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Pretty much, the fundamental purpose they serve is to be a big amp that has enough power to drive all of your speakers. These days they also decode a bunch of digital audio formats and usually come with Spotify, Chromecast, etc. integrations. They'll age due to shifting formats and standards, like receivers from the early 00's will have a couple token HDMI 1.0 inputs and a bunch of composite inputs and won't be able to decode the latest Dolby audio format.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 16, 2018

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

Ideal situation for me is PS5 is announced so people will shut up, but will not be ready until 2023

:same:

Don't feel like buying a new console for a while.

Edit: I borrowed GoW from a pal earlier in the year but didn't finish it and gave him his disc back. If I buy a digital copy will my saves carry over? I haven't even uninstalled the game from when the disc installed it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Montalvo posted:

:same:

Don't feel like buying a new console for a while.

Edit: I borrowed GoW from a pal earlier in the year but didn't finish it and gave him his disc back. If I buy a digital copy will my saves carry over? I haven't even uninstalled the game from when the disc installed it.

Saves will carry over but you'll need to reinstall it

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Ok thanks! I'll finish Yakuza and Spiderman and Hollow Knight first though. So maybe by then it'll be in next year's sale lmao

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are you sure? Cos that didn’t happen for me with The Last Of Us.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Also DONT FORGET PSN RENEWALS ARE $40 for this sale

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I wasn't going to buy anything but I can't resist that Injustice 2 price. Also lmao, Shadow of War goes on the first deep discount I've seen a couple of days after I order a physical edition.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is it worth getting a PS4 Pro if I don't have a 4k tv but do have a 1440p monitor

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Return to Arkham for 5 bucks. How was that remaster?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is it worth getting a PS4 Pro if I don't have a 4k tv but do have a 1440p monitor

What does your heart tell you?

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'd probably say no if you are not confident with adding your own hard-drive, the extra space is really nice but the graphical output isn't great, i hooked it up to my monitor before I got the 4k and yeah its a little nicer but honestly if I couldn't have sold my original ps4 to a friend I would have been pretty peeved with the upgrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Vikar Jerome posted:

What does your heart tell you?

My heart tells me that I already own a PS4 and should get a PSVR instead because Everyone Loves Astro Bot