Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's a good way to teach a puppy to be less rough with her playmates, since she's getting bigger and could hurt them if she keeps that up? We've got a puppy who loves the cats, and at least two of the cats like playing with her sometimes (the third will tolerate her when she's calm but doesn't enjoy her active play as much and tends to avoid her), but sometimes she gets too rough with them or just won't leave them alone, running after and bowling over the cats who do play with her, pinning them down with her weight, mouthing on them a lot, or even grabbing onto them and trying to pull them. She hasn't injured them, though we've been interfering if it looks bad, and the cats still seem to like her, play around with or at least tolerate her if they aren't fed up with her at the moment, will sleep with her, and so on, but still, it looks really bad sometimes, and the cats don't seem to enjoy it much either. She also can just be really overbearing and won't stop following them sometimes. The cats seem to prefer to try to just get away or to growl/hiss without clawing at her if they want her to stop, and hold back even if they do use their claws, which is good(?), but also doesn't always dissuade her, especially if she's really excited.

Basically, I'd like to know how I can teach her to leave the cats alone sometimes, and definitely to play less rough. She's the only dog at home, and one of her best friend dogs she sometimes visits is older and doesn't give a gently caress about a little puppy biting at her, so that isn't much help. She's growing fast, too, so the idea of her not learning to be gentler is worrisome; she might not be hurting the cats now, and I've been working on her bite inhibition since we got her, but still, I'd like to be safe here and do something before it becomes a bigger problem.

Edit: In the meantime, some pics of her being cute, old and new:

(I got her out from under the house fine. Not sure why she thought it was a good idea to go under there. Twice, the second time after she couldn't figure out how to get out on her own once already. We've since made sure she can't get in there again.)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

My god that dog is cute. Not sure on your cash flow and such, but most places that do dog training will have a training series for how to play nice with other dogs, which I would assume is fairly general and would help her be better with the cats as well.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

How would I economically launch a Husky into the sun? Asking for a friend.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Warbird posted:

Wait until it snows, remove the leash, open the front door and they'll launch themselves.

On that note, got any tips on convincing a husky mix to stop begging for more walks? I know there's snow outside! We just went out for a long trek! I am cold and need to defrost and do homework!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Warbird posted:

https://media.giphy.com/media/zccYXVsew5AZi/giphy.gif

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

On that note, got any tips on convincing a husky mix to stop begging for more walks? I know there's snow outside! We just went out for a long trek! I am cold and need to defrost and do homework!

It is not realistically possible for you to tire out a husky to the point where they'll not be interested in getting more exercise. Not unless you live in Alaska and have a dogsled. So you instead have to teach them that post-walk is quiet time. You could try crating them, giving them practice at doing long stays ("Down. Stay." and then set a one-minute timer or similar), or just ignore them until they figure out you aren't going to do anything interesting.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Just ran into a FB video for these things: https://www.consciouspets.com/products/milo-activation-ball

They have a few different kinds, some don't just roll, they jump and such; might be a good winter toy when you can't be outside for too long and dog needs stimulation.

Here's a dumb FB link since I can't find any others: https://www.facebook.com/consciouspets/videos/milo-activation-ball/10155833598791117/

I ordered a couple (they are a bit expensive..) for my dog and my parents, hoping my dog isn't scared of them and that they can take a little beating.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It is not realistically possible for you to tire out a husky to the point where they'll not be interested in getting more exercise. Not unless you live in Alaska and have a dogsled. So you instead have to teach them that post-walk is quiet time. You could try crating them, giving them practice at doing long stays ("Down. Stay." and then set a one-minute timer or similar), or just ignore them until they figure out you aren't going to do anything interesting.

On the one hand, true. On the other hand, with enough walks he goes from "walk? walk? walk? / play? play? play?" bounciness to "oh we're inside now I'll lie down, maybe grab something to chew on" - and what I find funny is how in the summer, just a few walks would be enough to chill him out. He'd come in panting and sleep off the heat.

Now that it's like, ten inches of snow, still snowing and cold outside? Around the house around the barn around the field, do it again, whaddya MEAN we're going inside????

I love my dog but I also apparently need to learn how to love snow again, haha.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

On the one hand, true. On the other hand, with enough walks he goes from "walk? walk? walk? / play? play? play?" bounciness to "oh we're inside now I'll lie down, maybe grab something to chew on" - and what I find funny is how in the summer, just a few walks would be enough to chill him out. He'd come in panting and sleep off the heat.

Now that it's like, ten inches of snow, still snowing and cold outside? Around the house around the barn around the field, do it again, whaddya MEAN we're going inside????

I love my dog but I also apparently need to learn how to love snow again, haha.

Sounds like you need to learn how to bundle up properly again!

Alternatively, does the dog like balls? Sit on the porch/whatever and launch balls out into the field.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Strap a snowplow to the dog and get some useful work out of him, maybe? I mean seriously, dogs love being put to work.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If you have two dogs they can play with each other and tire each other out, plus you have another dog. Win-win.

Nothing makes an adult dog realize he's an old dog faster than introducing him to a high-energy puppy.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

MF_James posted:

Sounds like you need to learn how to bundle up properly again!

Alternatively, does the dog like balls? Sit on the porch/whatever and launch balls out into the field.

Yupppp. I'm getting back into the habit of folding my pants into my boots, wearing layers, remembering my hat, etc. I'm also having to rebuild my snow legs, as wading through that stuff sucks.

Unfortunately my place is not fenced in and he can't go off-leash, so nope, I have to do this the hard way. ... Which is still a thousand times easier than the beginning of winter last year, as this time I have a 30ft tether I can put him on! Which means we can play fetch in the back yard and he can romp into the woods and so on without having to wait for me!

Strap a snowplow to the dog and get some useful work out of him, maybe? I mean seriously, dogs love being put to work.

You're tempting me....

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you have two dogs they can play with each other and tire each other out, plus you have another dog. Win-win.

Nothing makes an adult dog realize he's an old dog faster than introducing him to a high-energy puppy.

I'm afraid that this will be a one-dog household for the foreseeable future. On the other hand, when spring comes back and the dogpark re-opens, he will absolutely 100% get back into playing with other dogs. I think my favorite Apollo vs a puppy encounter was with a black poodle who basically ran him into the ground, then jumped on him while he tried to rest. She was seven months old and a real wonderful handful!

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

My "puppy" will be two in December and he's got a crazy amount of energy. I've had him since the beginning of September. He's got his two sister to play with too. They're around 3 1/2, but the little one might be a couple years older, it's hard to tell with strays.

I keep saying that next time I adopt, I'm only looking at "senior" dogs, which a lot places seem to define as older than 3.

I don't remember my hound dog being this much of a spaz when I got her at about 1 1/2, two years ago. To be fair, I was living in a one bedroom at the time and we went to the dog park constantly for that first year. Plus we went on longer walks due to not having a yard. Now I've got yard and they all play hard outside. But also inside. Maybe they didn't try to run around so much inside before was because there was no space?

My stupid problem: new guy still pees in the house. He pees outside on schedule and mostly on command. I bring him outside at the same times, tell him to "potty", and he'll usually go. Awful weather is a problem though. It is for the girls too, but I seem to have worked out how to deal with them. I'm less worried about awful weather with the new dude because the main problem seems to be we'll go out and pee, then he'll pee inside about two hours later. On days I work, he's in his kennel until I get home. He came very well kennel trained and will rock out there all day or all night. It's days I don't work and after work when he'll wizz in the house about two hours after he peed outside. He's also got no tell. He doesn't circle, look uncomfortable, squat or raise his leg. He just kind of stands there and unloads.

I'm not sure what to do next. At first, he'd pee in different spots, pretty much wherever he happened to be standing. Now, he's been peeing in one room that has brick pavers on the floor. I've been wiping it up and soaking it in Nature's Miracle but he keeps doing it. One time I was sitting at the table in that room, eating my breakfast, and he unloaded right next to me. I didn't even realize he did it until he was done. That happened about two hours after we went out that morning.

I have a couple of tangential questions while I work on this. 1. Is Nature's Miracle the best/cheapest way to clean up or is there a cheaper/better option for brick pavers? I can bleach the poo poo out of them without damaging them. 2. Puppy pads. I know they generally aren't recommended as a training tool but I've still got a couple I bought when caring for an elderly cat with renal failure. He died before I brought home any dogs but I've been saving them "just in case".

Promising points: He doesn't pee in his kennel, he doesn't pee in any other room in the house. He doesn't pee if I make him sleep in my room overnight.

Other point: He did take a dump in the house during some pretty extreme bad weather. He may have taken a second dump in the house due to the same bad weather spell but I can't rule out the the second one wasn't my huge weather weenie of a hound dog following his lead.

I feel like my house is now CSI: Dog Pee Edition. Every time I see a puddle, I have to check the splatter pattern to determine if it was actually new guy, who doesn't squat, or one of the girls, who do. So far the only pee crime I think might have been committed by the girls was the second bad weather house dump accompanied by a pee spot that didn't appear to have his signature spatter pattern. By the size of the dump, I've ruled out little dog. That's my last couple of weeks.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Speaking of huskies, at 2:00am Wednesday I found a stray husky in with my goats. They were all just looking confused about each other and he didn’t hurt any of them. I let him out of the pasture and he ran off. He didn’t have a collar so I just hoped he’d run home.

Yesterday he was back with a Lab tagging along. They were in the front yard checking out my dogs through the fence. I got them scanned for microchips, neither had tags, and they eventually got picked up by their families so it was a happy ending to their adventure.

What I’m saying is huskies are great dogs but make bad pets.

And get your dogs microchipped.

Cock Sucker
Nov 14, 2018
Just adopted a 2 year old husky. He appears to be and the shelter staff noted that he is pretty low energy for a husky. He seems perfectly fine doing any kind of exercise, but otherwise has no problem just sitting around sleeping if nothings going on. Doesn't bark.

Big problem though - and it may just be because it's not been long since his owner gave him up and he had his balls cut off. He panics when put in a crate and is left alone. He managed to break his crate and shove his head through a hole he created, and then majorly effed up my couch (it was an expensive couch so that sucked..poo poo).

Anyway, I'm trying to get him to go in the crate more for bits at a time, even when we don't leave. He's in there right now, got a bit worked up but im sleeping on previously mentioned couch next to him so hopefully he doesn't permanantly associate crate with being left alone for long periods.

Any other ideas on what I could do? He seems well trained in just about every other aspect.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Airplane crate. Now. He can’t break out of those.

Alternatively shoot the dog (into the sun).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Separation anxiety isn't uncommon with rescues. Work on desensitizing him.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

GoodBee posted:

My "puppy" will be two in December and he's got a crazy amount of energy. I've had him since the beginning of September. He's got his two sister to play with too. They're around 3 1/2, but the little one might be a couple years older, it's hard to tell with strays.

I keep saying that next time I adopt, I'm only looking at "senior" dogs, which a lot places seem to define as older than 3.

I don't remember my hound dog being this much of a spaz when I got her at about 1 1/2, two years ago. To be fair, I was living in a one bedroom at the time and we went to the dog park constantly for that first year. Plus we went on longer walks due to not having a yard. Now I've got yard and they all play hard outside. But also inside. Maybe they didn't try to run around so much inside before was because there was no space?

My stupid problem: new guy still pees in the house. He pees outside on schedule and mostly on command. I bring him outside at the same times, tell him to "potty", and he'll usually go. Awful weather is a problem though. It is for the girls too, but I seem to have worked out how to deal with them. I'm less worried about awful weather with the new dude because the main problem seems to be we'll go out and pee, then he'll pee inside about two hours later. On days I work, he's in his kennel until I get home. He came very well kennel trained and will rock out there all day or all night. It's days I don't work and after work when he'll wizz in the house about two hours after he peed outside. He's also got no tell. He doesn't circle, look uncomfortable, squat or raise his leg. He just kind of stands there and unloads.

I'm not sure what to do next. At first, he'd pee in different spots, pretty much wherever he happened to be standing. Now, he's been peeing in one room that has brick pavers on the floor. I've been wiping it up and soaking it in Nature's Miracle but he keeps doing it. One time I was sitting at the table in that room, eating my breakfast, and he unloaded right next to me. I didn't even realize he did it until he was done. That happened about two hours after we went out that morning.

I have a couple of tangential questions while I work on this. 1. Is Nature's Miracle the best/cheapest way to clean up or is there a cheaper/better option for brick pavers? I can bleach the poo poo out of them without damaging them. 2. Puppy pads. I know they generally aren't recommended as a training tool but I've still got a couple I bought when caring for an elderly cat with renal failure. He died before I brought home any dogs but I've been saving them "just in case".

Promising points: He doesn't pee in his kennel, he doesn't pee in any other room in the house. He doesn't pee if I make him sleep in my room overnight.

Other point: He did take a dump in the house during some pretty extreme bad weather. He may have taken a second dump in the house due to the same bad weather spell but I can't rule out the the second one wasn't my huge weather weenie of a hound dog following his lead.

I feel like my house is now CSI: Dog Pee Edition. Every time I see a puddle, I have to check the splatter pattern to determine if it was actually new guy, who doesn't squat, or one of the girls, who do. So far the only pee crime I think might have been committed by the girls was the second bad weather house dump accompanied by a pee spot that didn't appear to have his signature spatter pattern. By the size of the dump, I've ruled out little dog. That's my last couple of weeks.

That's me with my new guy especially after a break in routine. Catch him. Treats for going out too. I'm lucky that he really wants to please but just forgets. The foster used diapers on him so he had no training when I got him. It's been slow and terrible.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Huskies (and husky mixes) are great pets, provided you train 'em right and get them enough exercise. Mine has separation anxiety, so he doesn't get a crate, he gets multiple beds around the house and a kennel in the basement for when I absolutely have to go somewhere without him. The kennel has its own ceremony, where he gets a pigs-ear, a Kong full of frozen peanut butter and a waterbowl, and he's actually doing better - he still hates it, and refuses to go in, but he's forgiving me quicker when I come home and I figure it's the best he's going to get for now.

He hates it because he knows that it means I'm leaving, and he refuses to go in because it means I'm leaving, but I can pick him up and set him in there and it's like, pal. This is the absolute best you're going to get when I need to go somewhere without you. I can lead a trail of kibble in there, I can do it without actually leaving, and he's just... too smart. He gets worried if I leave him in, say, the kitchen and go to my bedroom with the door closed, as he begins to bark and freak out. The anxiety is strong in him.

But since I'm taking online classes, I can be home a LOT and that means he gets to hang out while I do homework, and he gets a ton of walks, or drives to the local parks. He's a very lucky anxious dog!

Cock Sucker
Nov 14, 2018

Warbird posted:

Airplane crate. Now. He can’t break out of those.

Alternatively shoot the dog (into the sun).

Heading out to get one first thing today.

Separation anxiety isn't uncommon with rescues. Work on desensitizing him.

Trying to work on it. There was no indication that he was this needy or anxious initially, he was just sort of aloof/shy but warm enough. Wasn't barking or whining at the shelter. Going to do what I have to, but my fiancee and I both work so I'm a little worried about his anxiety. After the first few hours of getting to know us at home, he can't even let me out of his sight without panicking. Making it even worse is he is 100% focused on me and jsut sort of indifferent to my fiancee, so now I have two unhappy animals in the house.

Really not trying to overindulge him with attention, but I'm not sure if I'm going about it wrong with him or he's just real torn up about getting dumped at a shelter. He slept in his crate with me in the room last night - so he was better in there. Might've been worse off for him in the long run, but I just couldn't have him hurt himself while waiting for the pet store to open up today.

Cock Sucker fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 17, 2018

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

That's me with my new guy especially after a break in routine. Catch him. Treats for going out too. I'm lucky that he really wants to please but just forgets. The foster used diapers on him so he had no training when I got him. It's been slow and terrible.

He's some sort of ninja pisser. I suppose I can take him out every two hours and get him to pee.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I freaking brushed my hair and intended to settle back to reading and SOMEONE noticed and now he won't stop poking me because omg, we're clearly going out for a roadtrip!!! Fill the water bottle let's go!!!

Pal I love that you can spot my common signs for getting ready to go, but this is......

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Big Data posted:

Really not trying to overindulge him with attention, but I'm not sure if I'm going about it wrong with him or he's just real torn up about getting dumped at a shelter. He slept in his crate with me in the room last night - so he was better in there. Might've been worse off for him in the long run, but I just couldn't have him hurt himself while waiting for the pet store to open up today.

It takes months for dogs to fully recover from being in the shelter. These things take time to heal. Time and training and consistent love and support.

EDIT:

StrixNebulosa posted:

Huskies (and husky mixes) are great pets, provided you train 'em right and get them enough exercise. Mine has separation anxiety, so he doesn't get a crate, he gets multiple beds around the house and a kennel in the basement for when I absolutely have to go somewhere without him. The kennel has its own ceremony, where he gets a pigs-ear, a Kong full of frozen peanut butter and a waterbowl, and he's actually doing better - he still hates it, and refuses to go in, but he's forgiving me quicker when I come home and I figure it's the best he's going to get for now.

You're building up the crate experience even more, without changing the part of it that he hates. Have you tried putting him in the crate, then not leaving? Put him in the crate and then watch a movie / do your homework. Make the crate be the "I need a little quiet time but I'm still around" place instead of just the "I am Leaving Forever" place.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 17, 2018

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Big Data posted:

Heading out to get one first thing today.

Trying to work on it. There was no indication that he was this needy or anxious initially, he was just sort of aloof/shy but warm enough. Wasn't barking or whining at the shelter. Going to do what I have to, but my fiancee and I both work so I'm a little worried about his anxiety. After the first few hours of getting to know us at home, he can't even let me out of his sight without panicking. Making it even worse is he is 100% focused on me and jsut sort of indifferent to my fiancee, so now I have two unhappy animals in the house.

Does your fiancee feed him, give him treats and walk/play with him? Our dog is definitely my dog, but that's because I do the lions share of fulfilling his needs.

Cock Sucker
Nov 14, 2018
Unfortunately that's the thing. She doesn't put in the effort I do, but she expects a retriever type personality. Told her she had to out in the time with him and they'll bond but it's not going to happen with this dog with just random pets. Or maybe I'm wrong, basing my experience fostering a GS

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Big Data posted:

Unfortunately that's the thing. She doesn't put in the effort I do, but she expects a retriever type personality. Told her she had to out in the time with him and they'll bond but it's not going to happen with this dog with just random pets. Or maybe I'm wrong, basing my experience fostering a GS

Most dogs will not bond unless you spend time devoted directly to them, not just "we reside in the same house", but play, feed, training, walking etc.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
One of my dog's paw pad detached, it was literally just stuck in her hair, completely detached. Is that bad? No bleeding, no limping, no yelping,she doesnt seem to care.
Does that grow back?

Cock Sucker
Nov 14, 2018
He destroyed his new airline crate in about 20 minutes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

One of my dog's paw pad detached, it was literally just stuck in her hair, completely detached. Is that bad? No bleeding, no limping, no yelping,she doesnt seem to care.
Does that grow back?

Call your vet, I have no idea what the answer is.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

StrixNebulosa posted:

Call your vet, I have no idea what the answer is.

Yep, figured that was worth a shot.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Big Data posted:

He destroyed his new airline crate in about 20 minutes.

Look at Patricia McConnell’s separation anxiety booklet, it helped a lot with our SA dog. Is there a doggie daycare you can take him to in the mean time?

Back when we had a husky she destroyed tons of stuff and would not stay in a crate. The only answer we ever found was LOTS of exercise and busy treats. Doggie daycare would have been cheaper than all the things she destroyed but it wasn’t available at the time. Getting another dog helped though.

Cock Sucker
Nov 14, 2018
I'll check that out, we also have some advice from an animal behaviorist from the shelter. He appears to be fine in the house alone, just as long as he's not in a crate. He eacaped and then looks like he went to sleep somewhere. Looked into doggy daycare and he has a week or so left to heal from being altered. We have family in our area that can swing by for some sitting and walks. Also can't push him on the exercise but yet because of surgery. We live right by the Appalachian trail and I do a lot of trail running, look forward to including him.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

Yep, figured that was worth a shot.

I am curious what the outcome is of this, I've never heard of that but it seems like something I could definitely run into at some point in life.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

It was nice this weekend so I just left the door open so ninja pisser could go whiz outside. I honestly don't know if he peed when I wasn't looking but he didn't pee inside. It was not nice today so fuzzbutt spent a lot of time in his kennel and I made him pee outside every two hours when he was out.

It's going to rain off and on all night tonight so I'm expecting little dog to wake me up yelling at thunder at some point. She might not though. At least fuzzbutt doesn't care about weather unless he has to piss in it. And the hound just low key shivers about it.

Cock Sucker
Nov 14, 2018

Big Data posted:

I'll check that out, we also have some advice from an animal behaviorist from the shelter. He appears to be fine in the house alone, just as long as he's not in a crate. He eacaped and then looks like he went to sleep somewhere. Looked into doggy daycare and he has a week or so left to heal from being altered. We have family in our area that can swing by for some sitting and walks. Also can't push him on the exercise but yet because of surgery. We live right by the Appalachian trail and I do a lot of trail running, look forward to including him.

Just a follow up. We're taking it very slow when it comes to the crate, desensitizing, and other training. We're chipping away at his anxiety a little bit. We have a good size fenced backyard, and while he's always allowed indoors, he seems to be liking the outdoors a lot the past couple days.

We have a breeder friend (she deals with huskies/samoyeds) and he was able to play with other dogs his size a good bit. She's also trying to introduce into the world of pulls and other physical events, which seems like a good idea. The original owners sent over his documents so he's good to go if that's his thing.

Video cameras (furbo something or other) arriving tommorow so we can observe him alone outside the crate. Starting to suspect that he's much less emotionally screwed up and a lot smarter than I thought, though.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

What kind of time frame is typical for a new dog adjusting to other dogs in the home? I've had the new guy for about 3 months and I think him and my hound dog are still adjusting to each other.

He seems fine with my little terrier mix, which I had assumed was going to be the big problem. The little dog is really bad at friends in general but these two seem to have figured it out. The hound is way better at making new friends, either at the dog park or with friends who go home after a while. I can't bring the little dog to the dog park because she screams at everything and she's got to hardcore yell at everyone who comes over for at least a couple of visits, then for at least a couple of minutes each time they come visit.

I think the new guy and the hound will work it out, I'm just trying to be reasonable about what is too long for them to be assholes to each other.

Also, my brother said the new guy looks like a muppet and he's right.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

GoodBee posted:

What kind of time frame is typical for a new dog adjusting to other dogs in the home? I've had the new guy for about 3 months and I think him and my hound dog are still adjusting to each other.

He seems fine with my little terrier mix, which I had assumed was going to be the big problem. The little dog is really bad at friends in general but these two seem to have figured it out. The hound is way better at making new friends, either at the dog park or with friends who go home after a while. I can't bring the little dog to the dog park because she screams at everything and she's got to hardcore yell at everyone who comes over for at least a couple of visits, then for at least a couple of minutes each time they come visit.

I think the new guy and the hound will work it out, I'm just trying to be reasonable about what is too long for them to be assholes to each other.

Also, my brother said the new guy looks like a muppet and he's right.

I don’t think there’s any hard set timeframe. Dogs can be like people sometimes; it’s possible they may never fully get along. It sounds like they at least have an understanding going which is good. I’d say whenever you do see them playing or otherwise acting positively with each other, be sure to praise it. Also, hounds in general can sometimes be very protective of “their” house/space, mine’s the same way. We’ve fostered a third dog a few times and she’s always the one that is standoffish to the new face. My shepherd mix on the other hand has always been very excited to have a new playmate.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place to post this so feel free to direct me elsewhere. Yesterday I went to the vet to say goodbye to Lily, our ten year old family dog. She was experiencing complications from a tumor and was put down yesterday afternoon, with me and my mom by her side. Needless to say, it was a hard day for my family. Lily was a wonderful girl, and was the pet who kickstarted my moms love for rescuing and fostering dogs in need. Lily is leaving behind a wonderful home full of people and dogs who will miss her very, very much.

That being said, I want to do something for my mom for Christmas, and I was wondering if anyone here might have suggestions. I'm thinking that a painting/illustration of Lily might be best, but if anyone has any additional ideas I'd love to hear them. Lily will be cremated and we'll be receiving her ashes, alongside clay and ink pawprints. We still have all her toys, primarily tennis balls, because those were her favorite. We have photographs, and I'm assuming my mom still has her collar. Any thoughts/recommendations?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

There's a number of places that do custom stuffed animals to match pets. I'm undecided if they are adorable or creepy but it exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Double posting since I've been thinking about/trying this.

Super Grocery Kart posted:

I don’t think there’s any hard set timeframe. Dogs can be like people sometimes; it’s possible they may never fully get along. It sounds like they at least have an understanding going which is good. I’d say whenever you do see them playing or otherwise acting positively with each other, be sure to praise it. Also, hounds in general can sometimes be very protective of “their” house/space, mine’s the same way. We’ve fostered a third dog a few times and she’s always the one that is standoffish to the new face. My shepherd mix on the other hand has always been very excited to have a new playmate.

If the hound and the muppet are playing nice and I praise them, they both run over to me for pets. It's pretty funny.

For the muppet and the terrier, it all seemed to click for them in one day. The terrier had a toy that she kept sticking in the muppet's face. The muppet kept taking and running off to chew it to pieces but I kept taking it away and handing it back to the terrier. The muppet quickly figured out that he'd have more fun if he plays tug with the terrier or takes the toy away and gives it right back so they can keep playing.

I think I'll have to really watch the muppet and the hound to see if there's anything I can do to encourage those two to play.

The hound does have some bad habits there were not a problem before. I'm going to have to identify those and work on them.