Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Heath posted:

Oh God it's beautiful

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/pokemon-lets-go-eevee!/user-reviews

"Dumbed down" seems to be the phrase of choice. How dare they make this literal children's game easy

This is a goldmine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Mods change my name to unasinous adulator

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lets dispel this fiction once and for all that Gamefreak doesn’t know what it’s doing. Gamefreak knows exactly what it’s doing.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 16, 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I detest nerds like that so so much. Such miserable loving cunts

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
I love how many of them complain that the aerodactyl in the museum isn’t a skeleton.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I did some google searching with quotes and apparently that's a rewrite of an anti-feminist rant on a league of legends forum, so the gamefreak person is just being funny presumably, it's still good though.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

creationist believer posted:

I love how many of them complain that the aerodactyl in the museum isn’t a skeleton.

It's hanging right next to the actual fossil. It's a model!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tired: complaining about an Aereodactyl model in a muse on
Wired: complaining about the space shuttle and Big Bang theory being canon in Pokemon

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I detest nerds like that so so much. Such miserable loving cunts

You're getting bamboozled, friend. That's clearly obviously satire meant to amuse and incite this exact reaction from other nerds

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I like it. My favorite thing was to play Pokémon while watching tv and now I can do it with amazing graphics.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
I just gave my niece an old copy of Pokemon sun as she just got a 3DS and I realised Pokemon is complicated for 9 year olds without gaming experience! Lots of controls, all the Pokemon types, which moves to learn, riding Pokemon, Pokemon pelago, different evolutions, berries, beans held items etc So I see a need for Pokemon let's go! I wish she had a switch because a simpler introduction is needed for youngsters!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
You damned nerds are making me want to get pokemon but I have so many other untouched and half-finished games already, including other pokemon games. Being kinda broke helps though.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Tired: complaining about an Aereodactyl model in a muse on
Wired: complaining about the space shuttle and Big Bang theory being canon in Pokemon

Oh that's going to make some particularly stupid people so mad, I love it.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Nep-Nep posted:

This is a goldmine:

Uhhh, I read the first sentence and I think Im good on going any further. A lot of these complaints seem to boil down to it not being exactly the same which is :psyduck:

I imagine that Ill think its easy when i do play it later, but both Sun/Moon and X/Y were real laughers on that front so I don't really care. I do hope gen 8 is a bit closer to Black and White on challenge though.

Edit: im still drowning in games but i can see the light. I beat the four kings and the bed of chaos yesterday

Edit: sonetimes parring extra systems back is a good thing. Mega evolutions were a mistake and Im glad they were sidelined in Sun/Moon

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 16, 2018

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
Paladins just added gyro controls and while the game is still just Paladins, gyro controls are great fun and also work really well.

I heard that Warframe has gyro controls too, so I guess I need to hunt down a playstand for it. Using gyro with Switch on your lap wasn't optimal

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Nep-Nep posted:

I enjoy the mechanics, indie platformers have since done it better but it's fun for when it came from.

Indie platformers? Have there been any sweet Mighty-Bomb-Jack-likes I'm unaware of other than Mighty Jill Off?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

nerd_of_prey posted:

I just gave my niece an old copy of Pokemon sun as she just got a 3DS and I realised Pokemon is complicated for 9 year olds without gaming experience! Lots of controls, all the Pokemon types, which moves to learn, riding Pokemon, Pokemon pelago, different evolutions, berries, beans held items etc So I see a need for Pokemon let's go! I wish she had a switch because a simpler introduction is needed for youngsters!

I’m 30 years old and there are aspects of Pokémon I ignore because they’re too complicated. However, I’m also extremely stupid, so it’s hard to say where the problem lies.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair this games does look like a dumbed down version of Pokémon which is weird as the series is already kind of simple so doing it more so seems pointless?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair this games does look like a dumbed down version of Pokémon which is weird as the series is already kind of simple so doing it more so seems pointless?

It’s really not though. There’s a silly amount of mechanics in Sun and Moon.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s really not though. There’s a silly amount of mechanics in Sun and Moon.

I mean when I played it I played it like I played the original and every other game in the series. It went fine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chazani posted:

Paladins just added gyro controls and while the game is still just Paladins, gyro controls are great fun and also work really well.

I heard that Warframe has gyro controls too, so I guess I need to hunt down a playstand for it. Using gyro with Switch on your lap wasn't optimal

That’s awesome! Gyro was like the one thing I wanted out of paladins

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
So far this game is just as easy as the original.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I wish I could find a picture of that on guy's Shiny Pokemon catching rig that was like ten GBAs constantly playing Pokemon by themselves

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

nerd_of_prey posted:

While I agree that Let's Go is the perfect game for babbies (which is the intent), you can safely ignore like 90% of those extra mechanics and stuff you mention with zero drawback. The mainline Pokémon games are easy enough that a kid can play through them.

I mean heck, Sun/Moon is easier than Red/Blue and I played through that as a kid without even knowing English very well so... v:v:v

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I wish I could find a picture of that on guy's Shiny Pokemon catching rig that was like ten GBAs constantly playing Pokemon by themselves

I mean catching shinies and playing competitive are two beasts most players never deal with. I didn’t even know shiny Pokémon where a thing as a kid.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah really feels like people are bending over backwards to try and dispel this but...Pokemon did not need to be babbified even more. Shiniest and EV stuff doesn't count, I feel like most people are strictly talking about the single player content when they complain that the games are just too simple (which is true). Sun and Moon got a ton of poo poo for being so handholdy iirc

I'm glad others are enjoying it as the newly imagined environments look cool. The characters look way too cutesy and and the game too simple for me to want to drop 60 bones on it personally, Ill wait to see if the next main entry catches my interest more

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The characters looking too cute is a strange criticism for a specific Pokémon game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KingSlime posted:

Yeah really feels like people are bending over backwards to try and dispel this but...Pokemon did not need to be babbified even more.

I don't understand why anyone cares. This is essentially a spin-off to get kids and people who have only played Pokémon Go interested in the games, its very purpose is to be introductory and as such they've simplified and streamlined it?

They even went out of their way to clarify that there's still a core game coming in 2019 to stop nerds from getting mad at this. (not that it's working)

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

The characters looking too cute is a strange criticism for a specific Pokémon game.

I kinda see where you're coming from as this had always been a kid oriented franchise that's all about cute monsters but this entry seems even more chibi-esque, and with all the fuzzy warm interacting you can do with the Pokemon, does give me the sense that it's aimed at somewhat younger players.

Or maybe that was always the intended art style and this is just magnified with higher fidelity graphics but it does seem dialed up a bit more than before

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

nerd_of_prey posted:

I think a lot of posters are trying to imply that your niece is an idiot.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KingSlime posted:

does give me the sense that it's aimed at somewhat younger players.

:hmmyes:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Takoluka posted:

I think a lot of posters are trying to imply that your niece is an idiot.

I think they are more implying their niece is an idiot.

Like 3/4s of those were features from the start. No one calls red and blue to complicated for kids.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
So when I get to a certain city I get all my Pokémon from the app. Does that make it even easier?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Over There posted:

So when I get to a certain city I get all my Pokémon from the app. Does that make it even easier?

It apparently replaces the Safari Zone with a new area to get your Go Pokémon.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

SeANMcBAY posted:

It apparently replaces the Safari Zone with a new area to get your Go Pokémon.

Even the ones that aren't Gen 1?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Commissar Ken posted:

Even the ones that aren't Gen 1?

No. Just gen 1, Alolan forms of gen 1 and Meltan/Melmetal.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The systems of let's go being a little simpler were actually a selling point for me. For the more involved fans I do hope that the next mainline thing they promised would be on Switch is more involved though.

Still waiting on my package but excited to throw the goofy pokeball controller at pidgeys tonight.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

KingSlime posted:

I kinda see where you're coming from as this had always been a kid oriented franchise that's all about cute monsters but this entry seems even more chibi-esque, and with all the fuzzy warm interacting you can do with the Pokemon, does give me the sense that it's aimed at somewhat younger players.

Or maybe that was always the intended art style and this is just magnified with higher fidelity graphics but it does seem dialed up a bit more than before

I don’t know specifically what “fuzzy warm interacting” is in Let’s Go but they added the thing where you could pet your Pokémon and feed them cupcakes and give them boutique haircuts like five years ago so I think it’s safe to say this isn’t some new development.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't kept up with Pokemon mechanics. I played Yellow and Black (and Snap) and that's it. Even when I played black I ignored easily half of the optional mechanics and didn't worry overmuch about evolution, type, etc.

You absolutely don't need to pay attention to any of that stuff if you don't want to - just have fun with the story and some cute 'mon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
HiRez made it official: SMITE is coming to expand the MOBA scene on the Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2Ms-xysY2o

EDIT: Oh yeah and Paladins extends their crossplay to other platforms than just XBOX in the near future.

https://twitter.com/PaladinsGame/status/1063457022002253824

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 16, 2018