Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Hellenism is actually pretty blessed on the society department. Normally, you either follow a non-pagan faith and get a monastic order and access to the Hermetics (Catholics get two monastic orders, Muslims don't get a monastic order, but can interact more naturally with the Assassins), or you get a warrior lodge as a pagan faith (Zunists and Taoists also get access to the Hermetics). Most faiths also can join the devil worshipers.

But Hellenism actually has a warrior lodge, a monastic order, a satanist cult and access to the Hermetics. It's the only faith that has access to all four types of societies (not counting the Assassins).

They also get Zodiac traits that reshuffle stats slightly, but I don't think they have any additional events associated with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Sulphagnist posted:

For me the problem at least was that the specific de jure kingdom the prince-bishop was de jure vassal of didn't have free investiture. I had to flip my Kingdom of Lotharingen to it even though my Empire of Lotharingen already had it.

So yeah the Bishop of Cologne is now the Anti-Pope, I didn't have time to develop a monastic dynast and give them the job.

This explains why usurping the Kingdom of Romagna fixed it, as he was a Prince-Bishop in the de-jure Papal States / Romagna.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Hey fyi every random and shattered world you generate is saved in a separate alternate_start folder in saves.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
One thing I'm noticing that bugs me is that, since all the nomad clan leaders are theoretically king-tier, my "arrange marriage" window is cluttered up with a million cumans, karluks and khazars who are children of "kings" but have no real meaningful status whatsoever.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I've noticed something weird after my last guy died; I had all his kids marriage restricted before he died, but I didn't pair most of them off before he bit it. Now those kids are landed, aren't restricted in marriage, but they aren't getting married. One guy is 30, a jarl, and unmarried even though it's his ambition.

Did I find a bug? Or does the ai not like any of their marriage options? I'm kinda annoyed, I'm gonna have to redistribute these titles when my incel moron brothers die.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

... Doubt besets me.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
So what would be the best way to breed bloodlines into my lineage? My understanding is that bloodlines are transmitted from son to daughter, they are not transmitted from mother to son. So how exactly would you “merge” bloodlines? Specifically I’m trying to figure out a plan to merge the two historic Irish bloodlines (Brian and Niall) starting from a traditional 1066 “tutorial island” start as one of the Irish counts/dukes that start with one of these bloodlines (there seem to be three total).

With the introduction of bloodlines, has anyone noticed any new fun starts besides the traditional, or obscure vassals who start with a notorious bloodline? My favorite CK2 games have always been working up as a vassal and taking over a kingdom from within. An example I’ve found is the Earl of Strathclyde in 1066, who has a prettt ancient bloodline, only one of five living descendants and the only landed one as far as I can tell.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I started on a legendquest and now I'm the last one left. Except I haven't dueled anyone for years. Does it just end when I die from old age? Did I get it bugged?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, three years in and things are going really swell so far. I've taken everything in Oppland and am waiting for my levies to build up so I can seize Vingulsmark to ensure I get coastal access. However I just realized the obvious problem of Germanic Tribals. Gavelkind means my realm is gonna blow up if I die with no Petty King title. Unfortunately, while I can create the the Title of Oppland, I'd need nearly 150 more gold to do that, which is about 40 year's income. I'm already 32, not good odds in an occupation as violent as belligerent Germanic Chief.

I guess I could try raiding, but my fellow Norse neighbors are as shitpoor as I am, I assume. Meanwhile the viking age hasn't started yet, so no boats, meaning its a looooong walk to the richer Christian lands and leaves my army deployed well away from my territory, just asking for trouble.

So how the hell do I get some gold? Maybe the Duchy of Viken would be cheaper to form since I have a claim on it?

Go business focus and counterfeit coins. between counterfeiting, trade route, in five years you can have a ton of fake gold. join the warrior lodge, and hope they give you raid targets. My first 5 years as a viking is in business focus to debase some coinage to do other things like market villages and title creation. Then learning focus to study stars and build an observatory. gets me enough military tech to build shipyards.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Holy crap. I'm playing a small duke in the HRE, 200 gold to my name. A crusade is called, I send my 3k troops to fight. We win. I get 3500 gold.

That's completely insane.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

Holy crap. I'm playing a small duke in the HRE, 200 gold to my name. A crusade is called, I send my 3k troops to fight. We win. I get 3500 gold.

Crusades are really worth participating in now. I sent 15k troops to Saxony and came back with 14000 gold, thousands of prestige and piety, and two tier 3 artifacts. Granted, that was as the top participant in the crusade, but still, 14000 gold is absolutely worth it on its own.

Holy Fury good.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Randarkman posted:

... Doubt besets me.

CK2.png

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

winterwerefox posted:

Go business focus and counterfeit coins. between counterfeiting, trade route, in five years you can have a ton of fake gold. join the warrior lodge, and hope they give you raid targets. My first 5 years as a viking is in business focus to debase some coinage to do other things like market villages and title creation. Then learning focus to study stars and build an observatory. gets me enough military tech to build shipyards.

Good idea with business focus but thankfully looting and some raid missions from my WolfBros got a good bit of cash and shortly later a Christian monk was caught in my realm tending to the sick and proselytizing. I was just gonna hire him as a doctor but then I saw the 50 gold mentioned in the other option, so I burned him at the stake and used that gold for the title. :black101:

Chalks posted:

I got 13,000 as the lead contributor to the first Crusade in my Wales game. It’s a scary amount of money, but it is also scary how fast you can spend that. Bought myself a kickass sword, a really awesome suit of armor, multiple improvements to the castles in my capital duchy and also built and modestly developed two new castles in my capital Duchy.

It was great.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 16, 2018

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Crusades are so good that it's making me feel bad that I'm missing out since you don't get to partake if you control an Anti-Pope.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My newest emperor is a brilliant strategist, so I sent him to lead all my armies and slaughter every general he came across. Now he gets flashbacks about the horrors of war, and refuses to touch his beloved wife any more. I made him join the Hindu monastic order, so he'd hopefully get the option to renounce his vow of celibacy, and when they told him to focus on theology instead of war, he gladly did it. I might have him switch to Jain, too.

I love how the mechanics from the various expansions interact to form a coherent story.

He also sent his childhood rival to China as a eunuch after beating him in a duel. It's good to be the emperor.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Someone left some build artifacts in the published CK2 Steam install...

code:
~/Steam/Crusader Kings II $ cat "00_GET CK EXE.bat" 
@echo off
SETLOCAL enabledelayedexpansion
REM Set config variables here
SET project=CK2
SET exe_folder=ck2_RD.exe

REM Figure out highest build number for this branch
FOR /D %%G in ("\\samba-prod-01\buildserver\binaries\%exe_folder%\jenkins-%project%-Release_D-Windows-*") do (
  SET "FN=%%~nG"
  SET "FN=!FN:jenkins-%project%-Release_D-Windows-=!"
  if !FN! GTR !max! set max=!FN!
)
REM Check if we are being run in the game folder
SET p=%~p0%
for %%p in (.) do SET folder=%%~np
IF "%folder%"=="game" (
	SET destination="."
) ELSE (
	SET destination="./game"
)
REM Do the copy
robocopy \\samba-prod-01\buildserver\binaries\!exe_folder!\jenkins-!project!-Release_D-Windows-!max!\ !destination! ck2_RD.pdb ck2_RD.exe ck2_RD.ilk *.dll
echo Highest version was: jenkins-!project!-Release_D-Windows-%max%
pause

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

winterwerefox posted:

Another way to get money when you can't raid as a tribal is the so and so has been misusing their office event. You can imprison then banish them and you'll get the gold, I think it just gives them some out of thin air because they always have over 100 and no way they actually embezzled that much when your income is like +.80 a month. Also you can look around at your vassals and if one has a decent amount of gold you can kill their whole family and inherit it.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there a mod that removes/suppresses the "YES I WILL JOIN YOUR WAR HONORABLE LIEGE" when you call tribal vassals into your wars? I have 21 of them and thats 21 message boxes to click ok on every time :negative:

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

As a warrior lodge tribal you can literally make thousands by putting your army on raiding stance then just... Raiding everyone, specifically the capital counties of powerful nobles. You harvest dozens upon dozens of people and can then ransom them back, which is worth probably about as much as the actual money from sacking holdings. I tend to check my dungeon every few years then ransom everyone anyone will pay for and release those who have been in there for 10+ years.

Banishing can be lucrative as well if you grab merchant republic people who have piles of gold you can just confiscate. I was literally sitting on 3000+ gold that I could not spend on anything as a tribal ruler. Then after going feudal I crash built a pile of castles in my capital county.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dongattack posted:

Is there a mod that removes/suppresses the "YES I WILL JOIN YOUR WAR HONORABLE LIEGE" when you call tribal vassals into your wars? I have 21 of them and thats 21 message boxes to click ok on every time :negative:

you can ctrl-click the X to wipe out a ton of messages at once. dunno about the popups but you can right click them to set their priority and make them not popups

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

luxury handset posted:

you can ctrl-click the X to wipe out a ton of messages at once. dunno about the popups but you can right click them to set their priority and make them not popups

I'm pretty sure i have tried to rightclick that message before and nothing happened, but i'll try the ctrl clicking, cheers.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Hellenism is actually pretty blessed on the society department. Normally, you either follow a non-pagan faith and get a monastic order and access to the Hermetics (Catholics get two monastic orders, Muslims don't get a monastic order, but can interact more naturally with the Assassins), or you get a warrior lodge as a pagan faith (Zunists and Taoists also get access to the Hermetics). Most faiths also can join the devil worshipers.

But Hellenism actually has a warrior lodge, a monastic order, a satanist cult and access to the Hermetics. It's the only faith that has access to all four types of societies (not counting the Assassins).

Muslims should have Sufis.

Muslims should get a pretty big overhaul really.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Randarkman posted:

Muslims should have Sufis.

Muslims should get a pretty big overhaul really.

Agreed on both counts.

Speaking of orders that people should get access to, it's weird that taking Monasticism doesn't generate a matching society for Pagans, right? It's enough of an edge case that I could see it being annoying to write a bunch of slightly different flavor and make sure the events and mechanics all make sense, but still.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Dongattack posted:

I'm pretty sure i have tried to rightclick that message before and nothing happened, but i'll try the ctrl clicking, cheers.

Are you getting popups or just notifications in the message box? If it's a popup you should be able to click the envelope button or go to message settings to disable it or change it to a high/low notification message.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Shattered world is really cool; I like just switching to observe mode, and watching dumb poo poo like this happen.

What the gently caress do you think you're doing, Iceland?

This was shattered world (counties), all other settings historical. I just let it run for a few decades.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Are you getting popups or just notifications in the message box? If it's a popup you should be able to click the envelope button or go to message settings to disable it or change it to a high/low notification message.

This is the message i'm talking about :

There's no envelope button on this particular message (that i can see at least) and i can't find one that fits in the message settings. There's a super generic "Notification Events" that's set to show as pop up that i guess might cover this, but i feel like i'm probably disabling a boatload of important stuff if i lower that one to something i might miss.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Dongattack posted:

This is the message i'm talking about :

There's no envelope button on this particular message (that i can see at least) and i can't find one that fits in the message settings. There's a super generic "Notification Events" that's set to show as pop up that i guess might cover this, but i feel like i'm probably disabling a boatload of important stuff if i lower that one to something i might miss.

Yeah that message is under Notification Events. Just set it to high priority instead of popup so it spams your message box instead.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Various Meat Products posted:

Yeah that message is under Notification Events. Just set it to high priority instead of popup so it spams your message box instead.

Ok, will do.

Edit: also woop woop, got the legendary raider bloodline, not particularly good i think, 3 combat skill, 5 extra opinion from raider traits and "organizing raids" is faster and more effective.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 17, 2018

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

big dyke energy posted:

I've noticed something weird after my last guy died; I had all his kids marriage restricted before he died, but I didn't pair most of them off before he bit it. Now those kids are landed, aren't restricted in marriage, but they aren't getting married. One guy is 30, a jarl, and unmarried even though it's his ambition.

Did I find a bug? Or does the ai not like any of their marriage options? I'm kinda annoyed, I'm gonna have to redistribute these titles when my incel moron brothers die.

It could be either because spouse selection has always done things like that, and you should always expect your relatives to become huge weirdos once you become a king or emperor.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

MaxieSatan posted:

Agreed on both counts.

Now that the update is finally out and my school year is nearing its end, maybe I should actually make a serious effort to do something about putting together a Muslim overhaul mod that I've been bouncing around in my head for about half a year.

Thoughts ideas rolling around in my head:
  • Sufi lodges/brotherhoods as societies
  • Overhaul of Jihads to differentiate them from Crusades GHWs, potentially split into two types a war to reclaim Muslim holy land based mostly on the Crusades and Saladin in particular with also a focus to forcibly unite Muslim lands in preparation, the other type would be large scale raids and border warfare as in Anatolia and India mostly carried out Turkish Ghazi states.
  • New councillor actions and councillor types, I specifically feel that the Court Chaplain is kind of the odd man out and should maybe be replaced with a more important Qadi (that is more important than the kind of circumstantial one at the moment) more focused on legal matters and justice than prosletyization of religion (actively converting counties for Muslims could then be tied more into working with Sufis, which would reflect historical circumstances better I feel). An important and powerful grand vizier position for king-level and up would also be interesting I think especially if it had powerful councillor actions combined with events representing political intrigue and struggle, with the possibility of a vizier seizing real control of the state and sidelining the monarch (as happened during the later part of the history of Fatimid Egypt)
  • Ability of Muslim king-level rulers to establish Mamluk corps, these would then be manned by captives taken in war and enslaved, also selling a young male captive as a Mamluk to the Islamic world should be an option for Nomadic states. Also some unique events for Mamluks kind of similar to the Varangian guard and Mamluk councillors and vassals having some unique benefits and downsides to them, Mamluk coups establishing Mamluk sultanates would also be cool.
  • Decision/event chain for designating a female heir, such as historically with Razia Sultan of the Delhi Sultanate, if none of your sons are to your liking and you have a capable daughter.
  • More mercenary companies based on historical mercenaries that were often employed, such as the Daylamites of north eastern Iran who were highly sought after in much of the Middle East in the early middle ages (heavy infantry who fought with axe, javelins and large shields).
  • Ability to bring in and settle tribes of Turcomans and Bedouin to gain access to powerful tribal regiments for your armies, but with possible issues arriving from them being unruly and difficult to control and possibly displacing the native population down the line
  • i]Ideally[/i] I think Muslims, at least under the Iqta government should be more dependent on mercenaries, tribal regiments, and Mamluk corps, perhaps occasionally boosted by religious volunteers (who could be recruited by event through councillor actions, possibly only in counties bordering infidel neighbors, though that might prove tricky) rather than levies, though I think actually going there would require reworking and rebalancing the entire building system and such in order to have it play with how the rest of the world works, so this one is kind of out as far as actually doing, I thin.
  • Rework title names, relatively simple, possibly have the title "Sultan" be somewhat more significant as historically a ruler taking that title implied acknowleding the legitimacy of the Caliph in Bagdhad and thus espousing Sunni Islam.

So, yeah. Maybe I might get to working on that. Might even be possible to do it in stages, working on and completing one element at a time.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Is it normal for Catholic Moral authority to collapse to 0 in the Old Gods start? Like I don't know the exact Holy Sites but something could constant raiding/religious CBs do that?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SkySteak posted:

Is it normal for Catholic Moral authority to collapse to 0 in the Old Gods start? Like I don't know the exact Holy Sites but something could constant raiding/religious CBs do that?

If they're burning a lot of temples, yeah. There might also be a few antipopes kicking around which will nuke Catholic MA hard.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Also tribals got alot stronger in this update I think. I have been playing Saxony-to-HRE and any small-medium sized Norse realm with a strong ruler would frequently be able to field almost twice as many men as any of the Carolingian kingdoms. In my game catholicism plummeted to 0 MA under constant assault from pagans, with -50 from both lost holy wars and looted temples.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

My king is so hosed up and god bless him.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Yeah I've seen vikings all the way down in Italy now and I've never seen that before. They hit areas on the french coast like Normandy constantly now too.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
after the end fan fork is gonna own in like eight months or whenever the new dev team releases an update. they still haven't folded in the jade dragon stuff

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

SkySteak posted:

It looks like it happened in my game too. It makes sense: tribals and pagans got insane buffs that crusade-less Catholics aren't equipped to handle, and crusades don't unlock until 900 at the absolute earliest. Maybe if the Karling thunderdome results in a reformed HRE they could stumble into the 900's, but more often than not I find Western Europe just dissolves into a gavelkind mess of tiny, infighting territories.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

One thing I have noticed is that I am having to actually use the intrigue menu options to replace commanders, constant warfare churns through a LOT of people and can grind down dynasties.

Especially pagan on pagan warfare where you sacrifice anyone unlanded to the gods in return for sweet personal combat score buffs. Burning a dozen people a year seems very doable and must really help reduce character database bloat.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Another way to get money when you can't raid as a tribal is the so and so has been misusing their office event. You can imprison then banish them and you'll get the gold, I think it just gives them some out of thin air because they always have over 100 and no way they actually embezzled that much when your income is like +.80 a month. Also you can look around at your vassals and if one has a decent amount of gold you can kill their whole family and inherit it.

That as well, except my Seer was my heir and daughter that run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

prussian advisor posted:

So what would be the best way to breed bloodlines into my lineage? My understanding is that bloodlines are transmitted from son to daughter, they are not transmitted from mother to son. So how exactly would you “merge” bloodlines? Specifically I’m trying to figure out a plan to merge the two historic Irish bloodlines (Brian and Niall) starting from a traditional 1066 “tutorial island” start as one of the Irish counts/dukes that start with one of these bloodlines (there seem to be three total).

With the introduction of bloodlines, has anyone noticed any new fun starts besides the traditional, or obscure vassals who start with a notorious bloodline? My favorite CK2 games have always been working up as a vassal and taking over a kingdom from within. An example I’ve found is the Earl of Strathclyde in 1066, who has a prettt ancient bloodline, only one of five living descendants and the only landed one as far as I can tell.
Marry, then Matrimarry a lot. That's basically it, as that lets a kid inherit a patrilineal line from they mom while still keeping it of your dynasty. It only needs a light bit of incest to happen, too.

Also I only do early starts and haven't really noticed a lot of neat bloodlines. Would kinda like it better if there were more tbh