Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I think it's good people are enjoying it

I think it's also good Bethesda gets called on their poo poo because they can do better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Can they?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
do I need to have this on a ssd? I'm coming WV!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Oh poo poo I just went to the top of a tower and had the option to survey the area. It revealed a bunch of nearby places on my map.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Donovan Trip posted:

I think it's good people are enjoying it

I think it's also good Bethesda gets called on their poo poo because they can do better

Yeah that's the thing. This game absolutely has problems. Am I having fun? gently caress yeah I am.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Trying to get a handle on the lore of the setting. I know what happened to the responders and the government, but not yet what wiped out the raiders. Unless I'm missing something.

Seems like the state government was mostly intact and stayed operational for a while. They had their own police force and a large, fortified building, so they were able to hunker down and repel monsters and raiders. The ski tourists were the ones that turned raider, and congregated at Top of the World, led by a duo of a guy and his mistress. Meanwhile, the local university students banded together and founded the Responders.

Before the bombs, West Virginia was already leaning heavily towards automation, both to replace the able-bodied adults who were going off to war, but also to replace striking mining unions and such. The Responders, left with a bevy of resources and few enemies, expanded on that, adding Protectron guards around civilian hubs and Protectron vendors at various landmarks to automate the trade of goods and services between survivor groups.

One night, near Christmas 2082, the lady raider leader was captured in a raid on the capital. The local government sought to use her as a bargaining chip, trading her back for fewer raids. Instead, the guy destroyed the local dam, loving up the river and flooding the capital building, wiping out that whole faction (and his lover). Potentially in memorial to her, he had her personality programmed into an Handy-bot, who still lives at the Top of the World, broadcasting out messages for new raiders to join her.

At some point, the raiders and the Responders clashed, but seemingly the raiders were wiped out? The Responders seemed to be in good shape, until the wildlife mutated further. Giant flying bats started spreading a plague that turned people into a variation of ghouls or instantly calcified them into hard statues. In response, the Responders set up the Fire Breathers, an while anti-ghoul squad. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough, and the main responder base was wiped out, with various lead responders going their separate ways and meeting cruel fates.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

awesome, did they just email you a key then?

is it worth trying to find a coupon for that site? it probably wouldn't work for this game anyway yea?

yes,
no, probably not though it couldn't hurt. Honey doesn't find anything, nor does isthereanydeal.com

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah that's the thing. This game absolutely has problems. Am I having fun? gently caress yeah I am.

What exactly is fun about this game?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Sheen Sheen posted:

Exploring is fun

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Sheen Sheen posted:

Yeah exploring. Killing ghouls and scorchers with my friends. Building my shack. Playing pretty princess with cosmetics.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Fallout 76 is one of those games that like, I play, but I don't really enjoy playing it. Which is not to say that I don't enjoy playing it. I spend time doing it, I'm fully focused on it and the shoot/loot/scrap/build gameplay loop, and I don't at all regret the time I spend doing it. It's like it's just built to scratch my brain's reward-loop itch, but other than getting a kick out of reading the logs on the Sergeant's terminal at the little military training camp none of what I'm doing really causes me to deviate from being emotionally neutral about it.

The loop is kind of oddly soothing though, which is worth something.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
Probable/ possible main quest spoilers:

I found an Overseer log last night at a B&B kinda near the Whitespring where she had been attacked by mole miners and was on the verge of the death. I searched all around the location and couldn't find a corpse or a named Scorched, but I really hope that wasn't how she died :( I was pretty invested in her story

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Bamabalacha posted:

Probable/ possible main quest spoilers:

I found an Overseer log last night at a B&B kinda near the Whitespring where she had been attacked by mole miners and was on the verge of the death. I searched all around the location and couldn't find a corpse or a named Scorched, but I really hope that wasn't how she died :( I was pretty invested in her story

The overseer seems like a really nice lady the bit about her significant other was genuinely heart breaking.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Sheen Sheen posted:

If your fursona is a raccoon and you love making nests out of and eating trash while fighting wildlife, do we ever have a game for you!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Is there any collection of spoilers or interesting things Fallout 76 adds to the story of these games? Even with games I intend to purchase, I don't really mind spoilers at all, and I am not buying this until it's discounted by a lot.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Bobulus posted:

Trying to get a handle on the lore of the setting. I know what happened to the responders and the government, but not yet what wiped out the raiders. Unless I'm missing something.

Seems like the state government was mostly intact and stayed operational for a while. They had their own police force and a large, fortified building, so they were able to hunker down and repel monsters and raiders. The ski tourists were the ones that turned raider, and congregated at Top of the World, led by a duo of a guy and his mistress. Meanwhile, the local university students banded together and founded the Responders.

Before the bombs, West Virginia was already leaning heavily towards automation, both to replace the able-bodied adults who were going off to war, but also to replace striking mining unions and such. The Responders, left with a bevy of resources and few enemies, expanded on that, adding Protectron guards around civilian hubs and Protectron vendors at various landmarks to automate the trade of goods and services between survivor groups.

One night, near Christmas 2082, the lady raider leader was captured in a raid on the capital. The local government sought to use her as a bargaining chip, trading her back for fewer raids. Instead, the guy destroyed the local dam, loving up the river and flooding the capital building, wiping out that whole faction (and his lover). Potentially in memorial to her, he had her personality programmed into an Handy-bot, who still lives at the Top of the World, broadcasting out messages for new raiders to join her.

At some point, the raiders and the Responders clashed, but seemingly the raiders were wiped out? The Responders seemed to be in good shape, until the wildlife mutated further. Giant flying bats started spreading a plague that turned people into a variation of ghouls or instantly calcified them into hard statues. In response, the Responders set up the Fire Breathers, an while anti-ghoul squad. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough, and the main responder base was wiped out, with various lead responders going their separate ways and meeting cruel fates.

I've been wanting to say that there is so much lore in this game that is just hidden in the terminals that it is going to put dark souls and its lore on its items to shame. They really created a huge world to explore in this game with surprising interesting backstories that's not told to you directly. I love the miner protests(are the mole men whats left of the miners?, I love the resort where robots replaced all the workers( the system started a year after the bombs fell and locked all the guests outside the resort, they stayed and became ghouls in the outer buildings.).

Rhymenoserous posted:

The overseer seems like a really nice lady the bit about her significant other was genuinely heart breaking.

If everyone names their characters Evan then we could turn Fallout 76 from a control vault into a vault tech experiment.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 16, 2018

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
they should have used the chorus to How To Save a Life as the theme

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

TheSwizzler posted:

If your fursona is a raccoon and you love making nests out of and eating trash while fighting wildlife, do we ever have a game for you!

don't dox me ok?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bobulus posted:

wow, that actually seems genuinely cool lore wise. its cool to see parts of the countries old world government survived relatively intact.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Tenzarin posted:

I've been wanting to say that there is so much lore in this game that is just hidden in the terminals that it is going to put dark souls and its lore on its items to shame. They really created a huge world to explore in this game with surprising interesting backstories that's not told to you directly. I love the miner protests(are the mole men whats left of the miners?, I love the resort where robots replaced all the workers( the system started a year after the bombs fell and locked all the guests outside the resort, they stayed and became ghouls in the outer buildings.).

yeah. thats one of the reasons i am probably gonna pick up the game at the holidays. bethesda has always done there stories best in background and lore stuff, so i am cool with this poo poo.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Akumos posted:

Is that av from Samurai Cop?

If I had known my login name would be seen in Fallout'76, I would have picked S@murai_C0p69 and crafted myself a sweet Japanese sword, otherwise known as a katana.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think the gameplay is subpar (particularly the gunplay), but if you like lore, the lore is really good in this one

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Bobulus posted:

From what I'm getting is all the factions were still alive and rebuilding, but the scorched emerged near the BoS. BoS held them back for a short time before being overwhelmed. The Scorched infection spread to the raiders who were also falling apart having been boxed in by BoS and Responders. Responders didn't respond to the BoS warnings until it was too late and were overwhelmed. You can find a few lore bits about BoS and Responders working together to rebuild and pacify various regions around Morgantown until the BoS were all suddenly recalled back to Fort Venture.

Edit: I got the impression that the Firebreathers were similar to Russian soldiers during WW2. Things were becoming dire and new people were just being thrown at the Scorched hoping to stale the Scorched until a cure was found.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 16, 2018

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

eonwe posted:

I think the gameplay is subpar (particularly the gunplay), but if you like lore, the lore is really good in this one

It's fallout 4's gunplay which is the best in series, but still the worst in shooters.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Is wearing your outfit over your armor the only new appearance perk?

And how soon before they have a Battle Royal mode where we can consistently miss everything we're shooting at?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Krispy Wafer posted:

And how soon before they have a Battle Royal mode where we can consistently miss everything we're shooting at?

How do you miss with a built in aim bot?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

How do you miss with a built in aim bot?

No VATS obviously. Or everyone in the battle has 1 action point.

It'd be glorious. 60 people go in and after all the bullets are used there are still 54 people fighting.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
The problem with these sorts of games is that they always become a series of systems that you learn to exploit. Fallout 4 sucked because they did very little to change the systems in Fallout 3 and NV, so it was basically the same game in a different setting. What makes this game different is that the systems from the previous games are there, but with multiplayer and no NPCs, it forces you to change how you exploit the systems.

The game has serious problems (most glaringly the goddamned UI) but if you’re into fallout and open to the concept, or you have friends that will be playing then you will have fun.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Some card picking tips, the rank 1 cards of the increase damage for x weapon are the best for space. At rank 1 you get 10% dmg boost but each card after that is only 5% dmg boost. Cards with unique affects for weapons might end up being more critical, such as enforcer that makes shotguns cripple limbs 30% or tank killer which gives rifles 36% armor ignore. There is also evasive in agility that adds 3 dmg per point in agility up to 45 flat weapon damage but it does not work with power armor. 45 flat damage might be 100% dmg boost for pistols for 3 points where you could only get 60% with 3 pistol 20% cards.costing 9 points.

Also a note for claimed workshops, it might seem counterintuitive but only place lvl 1 locks on things. If anyone lockpicks it, they get wanted and it lasts until they are killed.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
do they satisfactorily explain why the gently caress there are super mutants in this game

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I modified the .ini to make the FOV better. Which means no VATS for me since it resets the FOV.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ETPC posted:

do they satisfactorily explain why the gently caress there are super mutants in this game

Nope, super mutants to Bethesda are just orcs in fallout.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Tenzarin posted:

Nope, super mutants to Bethesda are just orcs in fallout.

cool. cool. cool.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

ETPC posted:

I passed through an area on a way to a quest that is a small town that seemed to be ground zero for an FEV leak or experiment that was being covered up by westek and the government as the bombs dropped. One of the terminals I quick skimmed talked about how the government showed up to take all the children away by force the kids had all become incredibly ill. The residents of the town began to change into Super Mutants before the bombs dropped if I read it right.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 16, 2018

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm seeing people building some pretty sweet shacks along the western river. That seems to be the most visually impressive area that I've come across that allows building a CAMP, but to be fair I'm still in the early stages

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Rhymenoserous posted:

don't dox me ok?

its me

im the raccoon

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm seeing people building some pretty sweet shacks along the western river. That seems to be the most visually impressive area that I've come across that allows building a CAMP, but to be fair I'm still in the early stages

If someone has already built a camp in the same spot as yours when you join a world, your camp gets stored away. So my camp priorities are:

1) Somewhere few people are likely to place it, aka not near any useful buildings. Ideally in the middle of nowhere.
2) Somewhere moderately central, so that I can utilize the free fast-travel to it, to save on travel costs.
3) Someplace pretty flat and weed-free, so that I can actually see the plants and such I put on the ground.

At the moment, I've been trying to figure out a way to build walls and ceilings without a floor, if that's possible. I want to enclose a greenhouse, basically. No luck in five minutes of fiddling, but I guess we'll see eventually.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Built floor, attach walls, and then remove the floor?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Built floor, attach walls, and then remove the floor?

Tried that, it wouldn't let me remove the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9aLks0YUO4

$60 for this from a AAA developer. Embarrassing.