Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Vampire Sixth Edition as run by Onyx Path is the best possible course, but it's also unlikely.

That said, Dracula being fired out of a cannon was also unlikely, so!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There has come a Reckoning.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
If anything I would expect books walking back the problematic poo poo in V5 more than a whole new edition. And like, with Masquerade having a metaplot it would be pretty easy to publish a new book that says "in November 2018 all the Brujah got together and purged the Nazis from their ranks if you were playing a Nazi Brujah your character is now dead. Moving swiftly on..."

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

GimpInBlack posted:

If anything I would expect books walking back the problematic poo poo in V5 more than a whole new edition. And like, with Masquerade having a metaplot it would be pretty easy to publish a new book that says "in November 2018 all the Brujah got together and purged the Nazis from their ranks if you were playing a Nazi Brujah your character is now dead. Moving swiftly on..."

I would expect either this or no more V5 books waaaay before I would expect an actual do-over with new core books or whatever.

I'm very interested to see what if anything happens with a new edition of Werewolf.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Step 1 towards having a W5 that doesn't suck: Hire Skemp.
Step 2 towards having a W5 that doesn't suck: keep MR*H far far away from it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Edit: nevermind I was late to the party.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Step 1 towards having a W5 that doesn't suck: Hire Skemp.
Step 2 towards having a W5 that doesn't suck: keep MR*H far far away from it.

The Skemp bit would be ideal. It's hard to overstate how much he did in Revised to put it on something resembling a good track. (Yes, CoG Revised also came out under his watch, but nobody's perfect and he apologized for it anyway.)

I always wondered how much MR*H had to do with Werewolf originally.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
As far as I know Mark Rein-Hagen's contributions to the WoD were extremely minor after the first book or two. He's the Largo of the World of Darkness.

(I'm not sure who is Piro in this situation.)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Some of the mechanical stuff from V5 sounds interesting, but the metaplot stuff all sounds dreadful. The Sabbat and all elders just going away with no trouble seems like a mistake.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So did this just become a good time or bad time to want to start playing

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
if the bruja got together and purged all of the nazis from their ranks that would make them a more effective political party than 80% of u.s. political parties.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Rand Brittain posted:

Vampire Sixth Edition as run by Onyx Path is the best possible course, but it's also unlikely.

That said, Dracula being fired out of a cannon was also unlikely, so!

Assuming that “V6” is Requiem, absolutely. They just need to make Chronicles the official WoD product.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

As far as I know Mark Rein-Hagen's contributions to the WoD were extremely minor after the first book or two. He's the Largo of the World of Darkness.

It's my understanding that MR*H's role was the developer equivilent of that one friend who sits in the back of the car stoned off of his rear end having DEEP THOUGHTS while the guys in the front seat actually turn that into something workable. The few times that Mark has worked on his own with no oversight have been one or more of the following
  • Derivative of something White Wolf already did but better
  • Hinged entirely on some physical gimmick that doesn't really work in practice at all
  • Very shallow/purile/whatever but acts like it's the most groundbreaking thing in the world that speaks truth to power and will bring down all world governments

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So did this just become a good time or bad time to want to start playing

It's better than a week ago, but that's not saying a whole lot. It's hard to say what exactly Paradox will be doing with the White Wolf brand moving forward. I think a lot of it does depend on who they eventually choose to take on new leadership roles within the brand.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Rand Brittain posted:

(I'm not sure who is Piro in this situation.)

The Wieck brothers?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Assuming that “V6” is Requiem, absolutely. They just need to make Chronicles the official WoD product.

Just imagine the weeping and gnashing of teeth that would happen... Again.

Just like it did around 15 years ago.

At least Loomer could actually finish The Project completely without new books coming out and messing with things.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Meinberg posted:

It's better than a week ago, but that's not saying a whole lot. It's hard to say what exactly Paradox will be doing with the White Wolf brand moving forward. I think a lot of it does depend on who they eventually choose to take on new leadership roles within the brand.

I want them to organize a giant high production value press conference, then when it comes time to announce their new CEO a hooded figure walks out.

Then have Martin walk over to unmask his new boss revealing Rich Thomas
"IT'S ME MARTIN! IT WAS ME ALL ALONG!"

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

I posted a few pages back wondering when paradox were going to notice the clusterfuck happening to the property they paid for. I guess they finally did.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

I mean, there'd be crying. But you could probably brush aside a lot of the crying if you did "The Masquerade" as a big fat setting book for Requiem presenting the CWoD setting as a big fat worked example of how to apply the Requiem system, and maybe a support line for that.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Of all the written Gehennas possible, this is pretty top-notch.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
drat, reading the last page's worth of Promethean really makes me want to pick it up. Any recommendations on what I should look out for? I haven't bought any new stuff since original nChangeling and the Chronicles of Darkness book, so haven't kept track of edition changes.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Almost anything nWoD 2e is worth at least looking at.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Bieeanshee posted:

drat, reading the last page's worth of Promethean really makes me want to pick it up. Any recommendations on what I should look out for? I haven't bought any new stuff since original nChangeling and the Chronicles of Darkness book, so haven't kept track of edition changes.

Promethean 2E is a great game and incredibly deft in how it treats the Created as a broad metaphor for different kinds of social outsiders and the experience of alienation/oppression without falling into "Frankenstein's monsters are a direct stand-in for gay people" or similar.

It also has some of the best mechanical design in terms of powers out of any of the nWoD splats, although there are still a couple of edge cases here and there.

Mors Rattus posted:

Almost anything nWoD 2e is worth at least looking at.

This is also true.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

How sure are we that Swedracula is out? I'm not entirely confident that they won't come back in a week and say "Now that our failure of a CEO is gone, we're turning absolute control over to Martin Ericsson with lead storyteller Zak S! Make Vampire Great Again!"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

How sure are we that Swedracula is out? I'm not entirely confident that they won't come back in a week and say "Now that our failure of a CEO is gone, we're turning absolute control over to Martin Ericsson with lead storyteller Zak S! Make Vampire Great Again!"

none of this sounds like any of that would be happening

like the thrust of the statement here is White Wolf as an independent entity that makes books is done.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm guessing that now that his friend has been ousted from White Wolf, there's no one to cover for Martin, or take the blame for his mistakes and excesses. This is Paradox Interactive getting their first full-on view of what Martin thinks and does and they do not like it.

The problem is that we have known this was going to happen for the past two years. How have they not?

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

At this point I doubt they will keep Martin, but even if they did keep him, they're explicitly stating that they're rehauling White Wolf into being a pure license manager. If Martin stays at White Wolf, he gets to shop the IP around and decide what outside company gets to make products based on it. He doesn't get to make the products himself.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The entire company is out. (In the sense that it will no longer exist.) If Swedracula still has a job, it is a job that will not involve actually working on any of the books. The guy currently in charge of the transition is Shams Jorjani, a longtime Paradox employee.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Does that mean that in the Paradox owned copy of Vampire if you keep turning pages past the end of the book it will turn into a copy of Werewolf?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I favor the Paranoia XP model of "Fifth Edition never happened and mentioning it is treason, Citizen!"

But seriously is V20 really in need of revision or replacement? The V20 supplements have been fine.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

They said in that statement that they will be hiring a new leadership for White Wolf as it transitions to brand management, Swedish Dracula is unemployed.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Pope Guilty posted:

I favor the Paranoia XP model of "Fifth Edition never happened and mentioning it is treason, Citizen!"

But seriously is V20 really in need of revision or replacement? The V20 supplements have been fine.
Will the next potential [N]20 even able to adhere to the twenty-year interval?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Jason Carl spoke about it on Twitter with the enthusiasm of a man who will still be employed.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

The core book is lousy from a perspective of getting new people into the game. Aside from the form factor of being a big fat bullet-stopping tome, it was developed specifically as a nostalgia project for existing fans and is therefore written accordingly.

This is great in terms of sheer value for money, because it means it's just dropping with information. But if you wanted to make V20 the canonical edition and wanted it to generate new players, not just pander to the existing audience, you would need a kinder, gentler onramp. Shouldn't be impossible, but it would be a bit of a bump in the road.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Pope Guilty posted:

If Masquerade must exist as more than a nostalgia product—and with the right people, why not?—then V20 sure ain't it. And there are a small selection of elements of V5 that are worth salvaging.

Ideally, a worldbook supplement that allows you to easily backport Hunger into normal Requiem. It would also afford more room for all the setting bullshit everyone wants anyway, since it's piggybacking off Requiem's core rules.

Or just its own thing would be fine, again with the right people.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Port The Blood to Masquerade, include atrocity dice, sold!

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Kurieg posted:

I'm guessing that now that his friend has been ousted from White Wolf, there's no one to cover for Martin, or take the blame for his mistakes and excesses. This is Paradox Interactive getting their first full-on view of what Martin thinks and does and they do not like it.

The problem is that we have known this was going to happen for the past two years. How have they not?

I doubt they cared too much about lower levels of gamer anger over what nuWW was doing early on, so long as they were actually doing whatever paradox had planned for the IP as far as non-RPG media went. While there was dumb, gamer ire could be chalked up to not liking new things or whatever, at least at first (even if it was more than that). Then by the time v5 came out and that shitshow started up in full, they might have gotten a bit more worried, but before that could really pile up in aggregate Martin managed to cause an international incident and so there you go.

Lost_Heretic
Feb 16, 2016
PLACE YA BETS!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

To what end? Why keep him around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Dude who posted the update said he was the interim manager of White Wolf so that pretty strongly implies Ericsson's still at minimum been kicked downstairs.

Also, I've just spent the last hour or so feeling like Cassandra. Weird, its as if when you ignore repeated instances of a large number of people going to you directly to discuss the fact that your lower division is being run by a bunch of lunatics causing constant PR problems around very delicate topics, they eventually escalate until you can't ignore it! Granted, I never expected it'd go straight to diplomatic crisis levels, but so it goes.

Man. Imagine being Ericsson. Imagine being a stan who gets their dream job, and within a year your management and writing causes your holding company to fire you, shut down your company, restructure it to be under direct control, and halt production of your products for the near future, because you've somehow hosed up so badly you've pissed off real world dictators AND the people they're killing.