Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Either dual wield or two-handed would work for you, so I'd just go with the one that appeals to you the most. If you wanted to do bow/bow, though, Warden is the class most suited for that, with its class skills favoring ranged DPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Rollersnake posted:

Either dual wield or two-handed would work for you, so I'd just go with the one that appeals to you the most. If you wanted to do bow/bow, though, Warden is the class most suited for that, with its class skills favoring ranged DPS.

What is the benefit to having 2 of the same type of weapon? I thought the whole point of having different types of weapons was to access different skills.

I assume you only get stat benefits from the weapon you are currently wielding, since when I swap sets I loose the set bonus this random dagger is a part of, so what does double dipping on one weapon type bring to offset the lack of skills/passives from other weapon types?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The warden-specific answer is that you have that excellent Advanced Species passive, which will boost your damage by 3% for each Animal Companion ability you have slotted. So your main bar will have, say, Cutting Dive as your spammable, Subterranean Assault, Bird of Prey, and the Feral Guardian Ultimate for a 12% damage boost, plus an 8% damage boost from the Minor Berserk granted by Bird of Prey. The 5th skill slot should go to either Expert Hunter for the Major Savagery buff, or Bull Netch for yet another 3% damage boost. So you already have one optimized bar set up for long-range DPS, with no weapon skills at all. If you use something other than Bow for this bar, you'll have to be at close range for light and heavy attacks when you would otherwise have no reason to. You could make a case for using either Dual Wield or Two-Handed here for their passive skills (and the Twin Blade & Blunt passive from Dual Wield would definitely tempt me), but you'd want to be using your class skills regardless.

Bull Netch, which will be either on your front or back bar, is your source of the Major Brutality buff, which negates the need for Hidden Blade (Dual Wield) or Momentum (Two-Handed). And Endless Hail (Bow) is the best DoT skill you have access to, and you can't put it on your front bar without sacrificing some sort of damage bonus.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 12, 2018

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Rollersnake posted:

The warden-specific answer is that you have that excellent Advanced Species passive, which will boost your damage by 3% for each Animal Companion ability you have slotted. So your main bar will have, say, Cutting Dive as your spammable, Subterranean Assault, Bird of Prey, and the Feral Guardian Ultimate for a 12% damage boost, plus an 8% damage boost from the Minor Berserk granted by Bird of Prey. The 5th skill slot should go to either Expert Hunter for the Major Savagery buff, or Bull Netch for yet another 3% damage boost. So you already have one optimized bar set up for long-range DPS, with no weapon skills at all. If you use something other than Bow for this bar, you'll have to be at close range for light and heavy attacks when you would otherwise have no reason to.

Ok, so you'd fill one bar with max Class abilities from Animal Companion (for the passive buff) and the 2nd bar with all your Bow weapon abilities?

Do you still get the damage buff from the Animal Companion passive when using the 2nd, weapon filled bar?

Also, I was looking at a leveling build thing, and it recommended trying to get a set of this gear:

Is that something I can ask someone in the guild to make? It also doesn't mention the gear's level, so wouldn't I have to be getting higher-stat pieces of gear every couple of levels?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Advanced Species and skills like it only apply to your current bar.

The equipment is no big deal, and you shouldn't worry too much about optimizing it while you're still leveling. You'll be fine if you just use the good stuff you find and keep it relatively current, but the amount of resources needed to construct equipment below level C160 (where equipment maxes out) is pretty trivial, and a lot of goons would be happy to make it for you.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Rollersnake posted:

Advanced Species and skills like it only apply to your current bar.

The equipment is no big deal, and you shouldn't worry too much about optimizing it while you're still leveling. You'll be fine if you just use the good stuff you find and keep it relatively current, but the amount of resources needed to construct equipment below level C160 (where equipment maxes out) is pretty trivial, and a lot of goons would be happy to make it for you.

Ok, good to know.

If anyone can make the gear in that image, Eternal Hunt and Vampire's Kiss, I certainly wouldn't decline it haha :v:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Annath posted:

Ok, good to know.

If anyone can make the gear in that image, Eternal Hunt and Vampire's Kiss, I certainly wouldn't decline it haha :v:
Double bow is also extremely fun, I recommend it. That's what my stam Warden is.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Annath posted:

What's a good, fun, complement to the bow?

Dual wield is hella solid, follow your heart.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Inferno has one of the most useless morphs of any ability I've ever seen. The one that also boosts weapons is okay for StamDK, but who on earth is going to take the healing morph? To what build is that useful?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Inferno has one of the most useless morphs of any ability I've ever seen. The one that also boosts weapons is okay for StamDK, but who on earth is going to take the healing morph? To what build is that useful?

PVP MagDKs. It's brilliant.

Also healer DKs are a thing now.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Coldforge posted:

PVP MagDKs. It's brilliant.

Also healer DKs are a thing now.
I actually run rest staff on my back bar for buffs and Regeneration, but what healing abilities do they have other than that Inferno morph and the Stonefist morph?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I actually run rest staff on my back bar for buffs and Regeneration, but what healing abilities do they have other than that Inferno morph and the Stonefist morph?

Ash cloud.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Clearly you haven't seen the new Healing Ward.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Scyantific posted:

Clearly you haven't seen the new Healing Ward.
I have not and also what is that. I'm just a DPS and I wanted Inferno to have a morph that would add more damage or DOTs or something.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

FactsAreUseless posted:

I have not and also what is that. I'm just a DPS and I wanted Inferno to have a morph that would add more damage or DOTs or something.

I mean Major Savagery just for having it slotted is nothing to sneeze at, not to mention that it's got Major Sorc too as a little bonus. Plus it's a better skill in general than Expert Hunter.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
For the FREE ESO Plus thing, if I don't own the game can I still download and try it out? I'm interested in playing ESO, but don't want to buy the game yet and was happy to see a free trial was announced.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

flirty dental hygienist posted:

For the FREE ESO Plus thing, if I don't own the game can I still download and try it out? I'm interested in playing ESO, but don't want to buy the game yet and was happy to see a free trial was announced.

No, you still need to own the game. The event starting on Thursday is for people to try out (and probably get addicted to) the optional sub.

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

If you're subbed, don't forget to grab your free Molag Bal statuette.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

count_von_count posted:

If you're subbed, don't forget to grab your free Molag Bal statuette.
It counts as a collectable, so you can put one in every house you have.

Edit: The free ESO Plus thingy begins tomorrow, and that means all accounts will have access all the DLC zones. All DLC zones except the Imperial City have a freebie item you unlock for your account just by visiting the DLC in question. Here's a list of everything nice you can get while the promotion's going:

DLC freebies posted:

Assassin (personality): Visit Anvil in the Gold Coast
Bull Horns (emote): Visit Falkreath Hold or Bloodroot Forge dungeons
Echalette (pet): Visit Orsinium in Wrothgar
Heroic (personality): Visit Ruins of Mazzatun or Cradle of Shadows dungeons
Jackal (pet): Visit Abah's Landing in Hew's Bane
Renegade Dragon Priest Mask (hat): Visit Scalecaller Peak or Fang Lair dungeons
Scintillant Dovah-Fly (pet): Visit the Brass Fortress in the Clockwork City
Verdigris Haj Mota (pet): Visit Murkmire
Werewolf Hunter Hat: Visit Moon Hunter Keep or the March of Sacrifices dungeons

"Personalities" alter your character's animations, especially their idle animations. Pets and mounts double as furniture you can place in houses, so those pets have extra uses.

Also, don't forget that you can freely dye your costumes and costume hats with ESO plus up!

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Nov 14, 2018

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
I've been spending some time wandering around the world taking stupid dumb selfies at various Striking Locales, and collected a few of these into a quiz.

https://www.sporcle.com/games/Oceanbound/tamriel-trailblazer

If you can get all of these right then I'll be suitably impressed.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Oceanbound posted:

I've been spending some time wandering around the world taking stupid dumb selfies at various Striking Locales, and collected a few of these into a quiz.

"That one spot in Vvardenfell, that place in Glenumbra, there's Alik'r..."

That's the best I could do.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

It's totally acceptable to mildly cheat your way to the answer, I mean the statue is probably the easiest one but I'm pretty sure nobody can even remember its actual name

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Despite the name, Heroic is a fantastic personality for evil characters.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
"Arrogant" would be a more accurate name for the personality than Heroic.

As would "I Am Ashamed of My Body" for Melancholy.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 15, 2018

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Heroic is also good for a fat orc tank that never stops eating, drinking, being winded, tooting his horn and yelling incoherently with the help of the Custom Idle Animations add-on. :orks101:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

SplitSoul posted:

the Custom Idle Animations add-on

Oh poo poo, I didn't even know this was a thing. You can essentially design your own personality then? That's awesome.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rollersnake posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn't even know this was a thing. You can essentially design your own personality then? That's awesome.

Essentially, yeah, or combine it with personalities. My necromancer vamp scribbles away frantically, interspersed with maniacal laughter, conversation with a skull and being startled by nothing. It works pretty well.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Mizuti posted:

It counts as a collectable, so you can put one in every house you have.

Edit: The free ESO Plus thingy begins tomorrow, and that means all accounts will have access all the DLC zones. All DLC zones except the Imperial City have a freebie item you unlock for your account just by visiting the DLC in question. Here's a list of everything nice you can get while the promotion's going:

"Personalities" alter your character's animations, especially their idle animations. Pets and mounts double as furniture you can place in houses, so those pets have extra uses.

Also, don't forget that you can freely dye your costumes and costume hats with ESO plus up!

This is a super great post, I took a screenshot on my phone so I can check it while I play.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Despite the name, Heroic is a fantastic personality for evil characters.

Telvanni Magister is pretty much on point for a nightblade, with the stern thinkyface pose that is your idle in it.

The questline to get it is also pretty good but :smith:

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Oceanbound posted:

I know #5! That's in Stonefalls. I think it's the waterfall by the Brothers of Strife quest area.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
What's a good personality for a Warden/Ranger type and where do I get it?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Annath posted:

What's a good personality for a Warden/Ranger type and where do I get it?
The two I listed are the only freebies. The rest have to be obtained through achievements, crown crates or crowns.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Can someone invite @MustangSA on NA server please

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Unfortunately Custom Idle Animations does not seem to work with Gamepad mode. It completely breaks the UI. :(

Mustang posted:

Can someone invite @MustangSA on NA server please

Invite sent.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 16, 2018

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
Those are some good lookin', scrollsmans. Your tribal lizard dude reminds me of the second stage of Spore for some reason.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Help I can't find this disguise in Hitman 2

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

gently caress I'm going to end up subscribed just to keep the craft bag forever

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

food court bailiff posted:

gently caress I'm going to end up subscribed just to keep the craft bag forever

We warned you, dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunsetaware
Jun 2, 2012

My arrogant mage alternates between the Telvanni Magister and the Duchess personality, and she's fabulous.