Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

Kuvo posted:

you:

the guy she tells you not to worry about :
https://twitter.com/kameo_01/status/1063044949707415553

it...it's beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Kuvo posted:

you:

the guy she tells you not to worry about :
https://twitter.com/kameo_01/status/1063044949707415553

I've never been less worried in my life. That's the ugliest drat thing I ever seen.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It looks like they took some notes from Pacific Rim 2 about how to make a brilliant design look boring.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arcsquad12 posted:

It looks like they took some notes from Pacific Rim 2 about how to make a brilliant design look boring.

Well, yeah. It certainly does look exactly literally like that.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The Muffinlord posted:

I've never been less worried in my life. That's the ugliest drat thing I ever seen.

Same but to both

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

Well, yeah. It certainly does look exactly literally like that.

Looks like a kitbash of Bandai's Gypsy Avenger model, the Turn A and the Barbatos sets.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arcsquad12 posted:

Looks like a kitbash of Bandai's Gypsy Avenger model, the Turn A and the Barbatos sets.

It's just straight up the Obsidian Fury with Turn A bits glued on top

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I made a robot

https://imgur.com/a/hW5jni8

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Man why did the Pacific Rim 2 designs have to suck so much? They're so boring.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Same but to both

The Turn A is an amazing mobile suit with a top-class mustache. I will not accept such an insult.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

The Turn A is an amazing mobile suit with a top-class mustache. I will not accept such an insult.

Maybe if it were designed by moriki instead of mead

:getin:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Progress posts were requested, so progress posts shall be!

All red parts Airbrushed, decal'd, decal softenered, ready for inking and topcoating.

The limited edition metallic decals are super nice in person, just hope after topcoating they look good in photos. Streaking in photo are just the decal softener, which will go away once it's topcoated.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Takayuki Yanase :colbert:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hi.

Yes.

I'd like to order a gigantic 1/48 super scale ultra detailed version of that. I don't care who makes it, just feed me it.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Can probably kitbash and paint some Armored Core stuff into it, since that's his usual work if you couldn't tell.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Did he? I'm pretty familiar with the AC mechanical designers, and I knew off the top of my head he did some Metal Gear and Xenoblade stuff, and of course 00. Looking it up I found Darius Burst and Frame Arms Girl stuff which makes a lot of sense now that I tie them together, but nothing about AC.

I did get him confused for the Virtual On artist though, given the proportions of that design.

Edit: oh he did do the raftclans too, huh

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I always mix him with the Star Driver designer too. Koyama does a lot more regular character work than mecha, but he and Takayuki both love wasp waists on their robits.

Takayuki's trademark is trapezoid profiled flat armor plates over chunky inner structure, Koyama leans toward formed panels making up major body components with visible joints between, but they both kinda dip into the other sometimes and definitely share an overall similarity in body plan and proportions, like hips and/or shoulders that are wider than the torso between is tall.

I think last time I brought this up it had to do with how 'flat' a lot of the side-mecha designs (and the later Barbatos and other Gundams even) in Iron Blooded Orphans were. They lose the definition between outer and inner structure, instead opting to make one big block of color be a lower leg for instance.

Just some stuff that happens to still be in my imgur:

Takayuki Yanase:

IBO (Naohiro Washio, Kanetake Ebikawa, Ippei Gyōbu, Kenji Teraoka and Tamotsu Shinohara):

It's a bit of a thicc bots vs skinny bots thing, but you can see how Takayuki consistently gives a visual 'thickness' to the colored parts to give the impression that there's different structure underneath. You could imagine the shape if you pulled that piece of armor off; you can't with the IBO bots.

Triple edit: Oh man, 00 Gundam 'Virtue' has Takayuki panels for days. Yup, that's him on that show.

His design trope in most literal form. It even has Takayuki panels underneath other Takayuki panels.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 16, 2018

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Is that a loving GNX? I loving love the GNX.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

:getin:

That thing barely looks like it can move its arms. Might as well just make it a spaceship if you're gonna just throw flanges on there until it's a big ball of bulk.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like a lot of Katoki's redesigns but if we're talking about individual artist's quirks, his definitely feels like it is "broad profiles but no depth, covered in decals". Looking at a Katoki illustration head on makes his designs look incredible but if you see them in profile they look like they're too thin and have no weight behind the frontal view.

Kawamori's designs are phenomenal and it is neat to see his RX-78 variants with rounded edges rather than the usual blocky style.

Okawara is the best. Even when he's being lazy and recycling UC designs for SEED he manages to give them a bit of a spin.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 16, 2018

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I had to figure a few of these out.

Katoki is Wing.

Kawamori was a purple Wikipedia link because he is also (older) Armored Core and also did Eureka Seven, which explains the 'pointy chests and visors' aesthetic bleeding over.

Okawara is old school all the way back to Votoms.

I could probably go back through the AC series and point out designs that were Takayuki vs Kawamori with ease.

Aside: Takayuki Yanase is available freelance. I might have a project in the works that could get him. You never know until you ask...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okawara is my favourite because I love me some squat chunky suits and the Scopedog is tops.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I won't unsee this as some kind of reverse-proportioned Scopedog now.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

My favorites are Moriki, Kawamori, and whoever does AoZ I forget.

Katoki I love too but that's for reasons generally unrelated to his (re)design work, which I find to be good but it doesn't light me on fire like the others do on a purely mecha level.

If Kawamori would stick to designing like he does for Armored Core and Macross and Ace Combat, I'd buy as many kits as I could if they were available. And not by Koto.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
https://p-bandai.jp/item/item-1000130823/

You have no idea how much I want this, yet am totally unable to actually purchase this. :(

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Oh, hey all. I normally stick to the warhammer painting, but I've just started with gunpla. (Assembled the MG Astray Blue Frame 2nd Revise, RG Unicorn, old MG GM Custom and MG GM Sniper II; nothing painted yet; also have an MG Jesta in the mail.) I've got the Vallejo Mecha Color set and a Real Grade Sazabi still on the runners, which I hear is sufficiently undergated as to make runner painting practical; as a miniature painter I'm not used to that. So, quick question:

Is there any truth at all to the promotional bit in the Vallejo Mecha Color flyer about how primer is optional? I was thinking about trying to do something dumb and just establish an airbrush fade directly from the plastic color, but I'm also really suspicious of "No primer necessary" claims for, uh, obvious reasons.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Stephenls posted:

Oh, hey all. I normally stick to the warhammer painting, but I've just started with gunpla. (Assembled the MG Astray Blue Frame 2nd Revise, RG Unicorn, old MG GM Custom and MG GM Sniper II; nothing painted yet; also have an MG Jesta in the mail.) I've got the Vallejo Mecha Color set and a Real Grade Sazabi still on the runners, which I hear is sufficiently undergated as to make runner painting practical; as a miniature painter I'm not used to that. So, quick question:

Is there any truth at all to the promotional bit in the Vallejo Mecha Color flyer about how primer is optional? I was thinking about trying to do something dumb and just establish an airbrush fade directly from the plastic color, but I'm also really suspicious of "No primer necessary" claims for, uh, obvious reasons.

Vallejo Mecha dries harder than it's model air counterparts for sure, but I'd be priming, painting and topcoating for sure.

Articulation adds a lot of possibility of parts rubbing.

You could definitely get away with it on a static model but I'd be hesitant on Gunpla.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

https://twitter.com/unionriver0201/status/1061876573026975744

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Puddin posted:

Vallejo Mecha dries harder than it's model air counterparts for sure, but I'd be priming, painting and topcoating for sure.

Articulation adds a lot of possibility of parts rubbing.

You could definitely get away with it on a static model but I'd be hesitant on Gunpla.

Well, think of it this way. I want to apply decals, and I'm enough of a fussy detail goober that I know I need to apply those over gloss, and then I know I need to apply another layer of gloss over them to protect them before I hit the whole thing with matte because ew, gloss finish. So:

Plastic -> Primer (probably Stynilrez? I've heard the Vallejo Mecha Primers are sort of bad) -> Vallejo Mecha Color -> Gloss Varnish (probably Vallejo Mecha Gloss? Maybe Testors Glosscoat?) -> Decals -> Gloss Varnish again -> Tamiya panel liner -> Matte Varnish (probably Testors Dullcote). Possibly some weathering somewhere in there.

I guess what I'm asking is, if Vallejo Mecha Color advertises itself as "No primer needed," then does anyone have enough experience using it without primer to be able to say one way or another whether I would actually need that primer layer, especially considering the like three layers of topcoat that would be going over it?

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 18, 2018

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

This thing has FAR TOO MANY THRUSTERS.

e:

76 THRUSTERS.

Xaerael fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 18, 2018

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Xaerael posted:

This thing has FAR TOO MANY THRUSTERS.

e:

76 THRUSTERS.

Do one of the MGs from Thunderbolt next! :v:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Stephenls posted:

Well, think of it this way. I want to apply decals, and I'm enough of a fussy detail goober that I know I need to apply those over gloss, and then I know I need to apply another layer of gloss over them to protect them before I hit the whole thing with matte because ew, gloss finish. So:

Plastic -> Primer (probably Stynilrez? I've heard the Vallejo Mecha Primers are sort of bad) -> Vallejo Mecha Color -> Gloss Varnish (probably Vallejo Mecha Gloss? Maybe Testors Glosscoat?) -> Decals -> Gloss Varnish again -> Tamiya panel liner -> Matte Varnish (probably Testors Dullcote). Possibly some weathering somewhere in there.

That work flow is pretty spot on what I do.

Vallejo Mecha black primer is goddamn amazing for an acrylic in my experience. It also doubles as a great flat black.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 18, 2018

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Puddin posted:

That work flow is pretty spot on what I do.

Vallejo Mecha black primer is goddamn amazing for an acrylic in my experience. It also doubles as a great flat black.

Huh. I'll have to try it, then.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
the mecha grey primer has served me well enough, too

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

Midjack posted:

Pretty sure that's the Psycho Zaku with it's gently caress off level of thrusters

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

This is pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/krm556/status/1062322162399232002?s=19

I had heard of people melting runners in poly cement to make colored putty but I've never seen anyone melt runners down to make new pieces.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Midjack posted:

It’s the psycho zaku.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Got and built the PBandai Polyball (crab balltle.) Couple of tiny pieces during install, but really cool leg articulation and ridiculous pose ability. Decals are bullshit as always.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
As a prospective kitbasher, I dearly wish there was a way to compare the sizes of kits besides eyeballing based on the size of a cigarette package on Dalong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

K Prime posted:

Got and built the PBandai Polyball (crab balltle.) Couple of tiny pieces during install, but really cool leg articulation and ridiculous pose ability. Decals are bullshit as always.

Holy hell you already built yours? I just got mine on Tuesday.... And immediately threw it into the backlog pile. Sigh... I think the base jumper is coming in this week too...