Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Chiwie posted:

You can pretty much paint a model from start to finish with Winsor and Newton Series 7 size 0. A medium brush with a good tip will beat the snot out of a tiny brush with a bad tip.

That said a size 00 or 000 is a nice to have for really fiddly stuff.

This.

You really only need two or three good brushes and a lovely drybrush. And given how much we all spend on plastic* space barbies the brush investment is whatever.

*Tophat and monocle wearing 30k players deigning to paint their own resin included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

you making these with local software or is it an online tool?

also, you got a way to make these into transfers? or you gonna hand style it?

I'm chopping up various vector images in Photoshop and just throwing bits and pieces onto a template I made. I haven't put much thought into transfers or waterslides yet, at this point I'm just playing around with ideas because I like messing around with logos and stuff.

If anyone wants something made along the lines of what I posted I'll happily play around and see what I can do so long as it isn't too horrendously complicated.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

GoLambo posted:

I finished painting my first spaceman marine test mini, my current lighting solution is loving garbage but oh well, some kind of content. The first of my Stardust Crusaders kill team and the first mini I've painted in 15 something years and the only one where I had any idea what I was doing, just needs basing.

My solution for edge highlighting on for the red on the gun was entirely too subtle to show up even in person, and the overall lightness of the scheme makes details difficult to spot. Nuln Oil and learning to use a wet palate was a godsend.

How in the gently caress y'all get steady enough hands for this edge highlighting poo poo I have no idea.

Run the side of the brush along the edge (about 45 degrees) rather than trying to follow it with the point of the brush, much easier and faster. Works for most edges, obviously for bits like the toe caps etc.. you'll have to just do it the harder way.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

richyp posted:

Run the side of the brush along the edge (about 45 degrees) rather than trying to follow it with the point of the brush, much easier and faster. Works for most edges, obviously for bits like the toe caps etc.. you'll have to just do it the harder way.
There seem to be an awful lot of curvy recessed parts on a marine where I gotta do it the harder way, but that does sound easier to be consistent with. For now I suppose I'll just get used to a lot of touching up.

Chiwie posted:

You can pretty much paint a model from start to finish with Winsor and Newton Series 7 size 0. A medium brush with a good tip will beat the snot out of a tiny brush with a bad tip.

That said a size 00 or 000 is a nice to have for really fiddly stuff.
I figured as much after playing around with the set I had, I pretty much only needed a work brush, detail brush and a a lovely drybrush I've yet to actually have to use. I just picked one up in #0 on amazon so we'll see how I do with it. Not having a consistent point was by far the most frustrating part of this experience.

Anyone have any tips for highlighting metallics? They don't seem like something you can just blend down to a lighter shade without losing their luster. Is it pretty much just finding complementary tones for layering?

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

GoLambo posted:

There seem to be an awful lot of curvy recessed parts on a marine where I gotta do it the harder way, but that does sound easier to be consistent with. For now I suppose I'll just get used to a lot of touching up.

I figured as much after playing around with the set I had, I pretty much only needed a work brush, detail brush and a a lovely drybrush I've yet to actually have to use. I just picked one up in #0 on amazon so we'll see how I do with it. Not having a consistent point was by far the most frustrating part of this experience.

Anyone have any tips for highlighting metallics? They don't seem like something you can just blend down to a lighter shade without losing their luster. Is it pretty much just finding complementary tones for layering?

Caveat before this advice, I'm trash at painting.

The core of making metals look good imho isn't the highlights themselves, but actually abusing drybrushing and shades.

method one, dead easy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaUunMIrAuY

Mix in agrax in one of the coats instead of nuln oil for a bit of a different effect. The gloss versions of those paints are great for oily areas (like pistons on an imperial knight).

Method 2:

This is what I do for metal.

All models:
Black undercoat
Base paint (ie. Retributor armour or leadbelcher). For gold I'll layer it on normally, silver metals I'll heavy drybrush.
Drown that fucker with army painter dark tone for sliverish metal, agrax for goldish metal.

Fancier:
Tidy up with the base paint
Use whatever the highlight paint is. (Liberator gold/stormhost silver respectively)

Extra Fancy, which I almost never do because I have hobby ADD and want to move onto the next model at this point:
Gold:
Mix in a bit of stormhost silver to the liberator gold for a brighter highlight.
Slivery:
Hit that fucker again with a mix of dark or strong tone heavily mixed with Lahmian Medium
Highlight again

Once you get a little more confident, try throwing different shades at the metal like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96RYPJIbJ_k

Edit:

Reading Lupes "throwing shade" series on here can really help out with understanding the citadel paint system and provides some good general advice too: http://www.goonhammer.com/subdomains/forums/tag/throwing-shade/

Chiwie fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Nov 16, 2018

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Strobe posted:

To be fair you could have just posted this and it'd also have been correct.

The Imperium players all brought Knights, Baneblades, Fellblades, and the like.

One of the Tau players brought over 4,000 points of Fire Warriors and Pathfinders. All in min squads.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
That is fiendishly evil.

I love it.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
So I've been quiet for a while as far as postin' army pictures go, but that's not because I haven't been busy. I've also painted the Gellarpox half of the RT box, a buttload of genestealer cultists, and some other misc stuff. But here is the core of what is going to be expanded out into a full army of illegal conversions:

Rogue Trader Athi Hollzenstein
AKA The Immortal God-Empress of Mankind, Ruler of Fifty Worlds
AKA The Vile Secessionist

Rogue Traders have a reputation for pride. In fact, the average Rogue Trader is so intensely narcissistic that it doesn't even register. Proclaiming yourself the Immortal God Empress of Mankind, declaring independence from the Imperium and outfitting your personal bodyguard of battle servitors and ogryns in the colours of the Custodian Guard... well, it registers. It's kinda up there, actually.

Rogue Trader Athi Hollzenstein's expeditions in the Imperium Nihilus allowed her to discover a smaller cousin to the Pharos beacon that served as a backup Astronomicon during the Horus Heresy. Cut off from the Imperium at large but with a local Warp beacon at her disposal, and dealing with a panicking population who needed to know that the Imperium hadn't abandoned them, Hollzenstein thought the only logical step was to declare that she was, in fact, the Emperor of Mankind - and it wasn't like any of these rubes was going to know the difference between a Custodian Guard and a bullgryn she spray-painted gold. At some point an illusion of stability slipped into full on megalomania and Hollzenstein took to re-uniting the Dark Imperium under her own banner - by force if necessary.

She's a known lunatic and outright heretic but a lot of local imperial forces kind of consider her the least of the evils currently consuming their half of the galaxy, so most planetary governors or Guard commanders will tacitly play along as much as their consciences/commissars allow if it means some absurdly over-equipped reinforcements riding to the rescue. But a commander of the Imperial forces needs to be extremely adept at the social game to avoid giving offence to the 'Empress' and avoid using her title at the same time. The wrong slip-up will get you challenged to a duel and that is not a fight anyone in the galaxy really wants. Despite looking like a slender waif, Trader Hollzenstein is wearing the GDP of an entire planet in terms of forcefields, archeotech and digital weapons and she can and has killed a Space Marine Chapter Master in single combat (on the tabletop, she counts-as a Custodian Shield-Captain).

Rank and file guardsmen sometimes complain that their generals are pampered aristocrats who have never seen a real battlefield. If it means getting the assistance - rather than the lunatic vengeance - of someone like the Empress of Mankind then they might have cause to be glad for a courtly education in their leaders.

Thanqol fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 16, 2018

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I love the models but I really love the fluff. Owns so hard. You’ve clearly gone the extra mile.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Milotic posted:

I love the models but I really love the fluff. Owns so hard. You’ve clearly gone the extra mile.

6/10. Fluff doesn't mention the good boy.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

GoLambo posted:

I finished painting my first spaceman marine test mini, my current lighting solution is loving garbage but oh well, some kind of content. The first of my Stardust Crusaders kill team and the first mini I've painted in 15 something years and the only one where I had any idea what I was doing, just needs basing.

My solution for edge highlighting on for the red on the gun was entirely too subtle to show up even in person, and the overall lightness of the scheme makes details difficult to spot. Nuln Oil and learning to use a wet palate was a godsend.

How in the gently caress y'all get steady enough hands for this edge highlighting poo poo I have no idea.

Part of the trick is also just going back and putting in the time to clean it back up with the base color. You don't need to be perfect, especially to start, you can totally go in afterwards and tidy up.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Edit: I'm an idiot and it's been a long day.

Fuegan fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 16, 2018

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

I played the mechanicus game that just came out and it's actually good. Good writing, the tech priests have a lot of customization options, the troops feel really, really expendable. Very 40k.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

CA Rumours!

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I hope that the Knight Castellan gets a points increase. It has an obscene damage potential for its points, especially compared to the Valiant.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Floppychop posted:

I hope that the Knight Castellan gets a points increase. It has an obscene damage potential for its points, especially compared to the Valiant.

Honestly the CP nerfs have pretty much dealt with them as far as being too good. They're still good but they don't need a lot of tweaking.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Also a guy on a FB group I'm on posted this scarily well done Dabbing Primaris (printed with a Photon)

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Harkano posted:

Also a guy on a FB group I'm on posted this scarily well done Dabbing Primaris (printed with a Photon)

Its sad when he falls to chaos and become Dabius Bile

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Harkano posted:

CA Rumours!

Dropping the price of basically all space marines by 5-10% seems really good. A relatively simple way to make them competitive again.

Kind of weird that IKs aren’t getting nerfed.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Honestly the CP nerfs have pretty much dealt with them as far as being too good. They're still good but they don't need a lot of tweaking.

Have the CP dealt with them? What were the cp nerfs? I thought the only major change was limiting Farm to once per battle round.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Also to the dude with the gold rogue reader army with hella conversions and dope fluff.

I’m at the gym I’m mobile so I can’t write a long walk of text but I assure you that everything you did is hella good. Just copy and paste superlatives and that’s how I feel about your work.

And I generally hate gold on models. Idk it never looks quite right but your stuff is phenomenal.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Limiting the CP farm to once per round was a huge impact. Knights are mostly OK now.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I'm champing at the bit to see what's in store for Admech in Chapter Approved. I love my models, but drat does that army need a once-over.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Limiting the CP farm to once per round was a huge impact. Knights are mostly OK now.

But aren’t soups starting with around 12 cp?

From what I’ve read about tournaments, that’s more than enough to front load the first two turns, which is apparently where games are won and lost at that high level.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Milotic posted:

Thank you :) Rogue Traders have been by far my favourite part of 40K since I was a kid, so the fact that they're releasing a tonne of RT stuff right after I got into the hobby has been absolutely perfect for me.

Harkano posted:

6/10. Fluff doesn't mention the good boy.

The good boy is the archeotech that allows the rogue trader to fight as a Custodian Shield Captain.

(He is on that base because I didn't want to have to deal with the dog getting shot so I can pretend it's just the Empress who goes down and the dog makes it out safely).

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Also to the dude with the gold rogue reader army with hella conversions and dope fluff.

I’m at the gym I’m mobile so I can’t write a long walk of text but I assure you that everything you did is hella good. Just copy and paste superlatives and that’s how I feel about your work.

And I generally hate gold on models. Idk it never looks quite right but your stuff is phenomenal.

Thank you! I generally think gold models are super tacky, but 'tacky and overdone' was my specific design goal for this army's colour scheme.

The secret sauce is a wash of watered the hell down (like 5pt water to 1pt paint) rhinox hide all over the gold after the shade step. Otherwise it's the normal retributor-riekland fleshshade gloss-liberator-stormhost deal. It just adds so much contrast to the whole thing that stops it being the washed-out shade of stock GW.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

From what I’ve read about tournaments, that’s more than enough to front load the first two turns, which is apparently where games are won and lost at that high level.

From my experience is it just results in them still being unkillable murder machines in the first couple of turns, which is enough in your average game to ruin the other person's chance of winning. I dont have a source off the top of my head but I think the effect at the top level is it shifted knights from a 60% winrate to 56%, I might be wrong tho. (for your amusement that is in all matchups including IK on IK which would pull it closer to 50/50)

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Previously you would start with like 20 CP and finish the game having spent 40. Now you are more likely to actually run out, which limits the effectiveness of the Castellan a lot.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Dude it’s been said before but jumping jackrabbits those are some nicely painted models!!! That green armor is incredible and harmonizes perfectly with that yellowish orc skin.

I’m giving the screen four thumbs up!

What picture are you looking at you clod those are blue and green.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
How do I make my own decals? Special printer paper? Should I buy anything in particular?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
12 CP is enough to power up a smash captain and maybe give your castellan a turn of 4++ and rerolling 1's. Then you're done. It used to be enough to power up a pair of captains and keep the castellan running all game long, with CP to spare for rerolls and other strats.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

NovemberMike posted:

I played the mechanicus game that just came out and it's actually good. Good writing, the tech priests have a lot of customization options, the troops feel really, really expendable. Very 40k.

Go on.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Harkano posted:

CA Rumours!

This pleases me.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Harvey Mantaco posted:

How do I make my own decals? Special printer paper? Should I buy anything in particular?

There is decal paper available for inkjet and laser.

Inkjet decals have to be varnished first or the ink washes off in water so they tend to end up being slightly thicker.

Laserjet decals are superior but colour laser printers are harder to come by.

DO NOT run inkjet paper through a laser printer as it will melt and gently caress the printer up.

Be aware that your printers (laser and inkjet) can't print white, so dark/black designs work best, unless they are applied over a light coloured surface.

If you want to print white, you need something called an ALPS printer which is ancient and no longer generally available.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Z the IVth posted:

There is decal paper available for inkjet and laser.

Inkjet decals have to be varnished first or the ink washes off in water so they tend to end up being slightly thicker.

Laserjet decals are superior but colour laser printers are harder to come by.

DO NOT run inkjet paper through a laser printer as it will melt and gently caress the printer up.

Be aware that your printers (laser and inkjet) can't print white, so dark/black designs work best, unless they are applied over a light coloured surface.

If you want to print white, you need something called an ALPS printer which is ancient and no longer generally available.

Perfect. Going to do that thing where I put the sheet into the work laser printer and run back to my desk in a panic to hit print before someone ruins the sheet.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Thanqol posted:

The good boy is the archeotech that allows the rogue trader to fight as a Custodian Shield Captain.

(He is on that base because I didn't want to have to deal with the dog getting shot so I can pretend it's just the Empress who goes down and the dog makes it out safely).

Army saved :D Thanks!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Dropping the price of basically all space marines by 5-10% seems really good. A relatively simple way to make them competitive again.

Kind of weird that IKs aren’t getting nerfed.

Apparently this shot isn't complete and the Castellan is in for a hike. There's a decent thread discussing them on Reddit, and apparently something else on dakka. I think it's the French leak-master again?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Someone who plays Genestealer Cult needs to promise me they'll blast this song as loud as they can the next time they win a game.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Haven't painted in a while. Leviathan doesn't have the best trait but it makes these guys almost worth taking.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

MasterSlowPoke posted:

12 CP is enough to power up a smash captain and maybe give your castellan a turn of 4++ and rerolling 1's. Then you're done. It used to be enough to power up a pair of captains and keep the castellan running all game long, with CP to spare for rerolls and other strats.

I mean, I'm not a super knight hater, but I do think they warrant an increase. The issue isn't that they're unkillable murder machines for the whole game (since the last FAQ), it's that they're point-for-point miles better than almost anything else in the game.

Dropping Land Raiders to 200, Monolith to 200, preds to 70, etc helps. But then you have to ask, a little, "should everything else get a points drop because IK and Helverins are so goddamn good?" or should they get bumped to align?

For the tournament meta, they're balanced find against Drukhari, Tau, and other contenders. Nerfing 2 entire codexes would be poo poo. But it's the same old back and forth argument. Necrons, MEQ, TEQ, GK, and some others clearly suck and need rebalancing, just whether to bring down top factions or bring up the bottom.

As it is, though, Helverins, Gallants, Wardens, and Castellans are so goddamn good that it's hard to argue they're balanced well.

My real beef with them is that they're boring with no trade-off. Want a 3++? You got it. Mobility? Sure. Fall back and fire? Why not. Dishing tons of mortals in assault? You bet. High toughness and lots of wounds? Yep. Probably the best melta in the game? drat straight. What don't they do?

That's fine as a mono-codex. It's obnoxious when you can drop an auxiliary battalion to get the a knight for 350pts or a knight and 2 helverins for 700ish, which are "must answer" threats likely to rip most of the answers new assholes if they get T1

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

You're a Ad Mech battleship that found a planet with tombs full of Necrons that are starting to wake up. You have to stop them before two weeks (IIRC). You do this by running a bunch of raids on these tombs that get you resources and lead up to assassination missions where you kill off the Necron lords.

In the game loop you do XCom style battles with Tech Priests and Troops (Skitarii, Kastellans, Servitors, etc). Tech Priests are your persistent units that grow and level up and you can customize them so they're self-healing tanks with power axes that run down Necron Destroyers and cut them in half or dual wield Plasma Culverins on mechadendrites, or buff up the troops. They're free to bring on a mission but if they come out low health that can cost you 100+ dollarydoos. Troops have to be recruited for each mission but they're cheap, and you only get a small deposit back if they come back alive. Servitors have an ability where you get resources when people shoot them and you get no bonus for them coming back alive.

The writing is also really solid. There's no voice acting and not a ton of dialogue but the characters feel very 40k Mechanicus. There's the Skitarii commander that wants people to actually care about her troops lives, the Magus that does care if he can remember to turn on his emotion centers, the Tech-Priest from Stygies VII that's trying to steal technology for himself, the zealot, etc. They got a Black Library author to write everything and he did a really good job.

evol262 posted:

Dropping Land Raiders to 200, Monolith to 200, preds to 70, etc helps. But then you have to ask, a little, "should everything else get a points drop because IK and Helverins are so goddamn good?" or should they get bumped to align?

Nobody was running Land Raiders, Monoliths or Predators before the Knight codex dropped. That's a pretty big hint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
It really isn’t that knights are overpowered, it’s that the things you’re comparing them to are terrible. Space Marines and Necrons are two of the worst books right now and it shouldn’t be any surprise that they don’t stand up well to one of the better written codices. I don’t know how you’re able to claim it’s boring when that entire rulebook is absolutely dripping with character and options.

The fair comparison would be Orks, or Dark Eldar or possibly Space Wolves if they get as strong as I’m expecting after CA. There’s several other books that are on that level as well- it really is a situation where GW is much more aware of how to write a good rulebook for 8th with the recent releases and some of the early stuff just misses out until they can get a rework. I’m confident this will happen because they’ve clearly stated that they’re aware of the issues stuff like marines are facing.

I’m actually pretty suspicious a decent Ork list will wreck the hell out of knights but we probably need a tournament before we can really make that determination.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 17, 2018