Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
That said, in terms of Runners, that White Male CIS angle is simultaneously good and bad; Good in that it's wildly better than literally every other game at having representation; Bad in that if you're going to make the only ones that exist a nose-thumbing semi-insult about either being a huge douche (Geist), massive dorklord (Whizzard) or being bland and boring (John Oxford), you're probably adding fuel to the fire for Genuinely Bad People.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Geist is Hispanic though.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

neaden posted:

Fair and accurate point; He's still a douche though. :v: Feel free to substitute Fisk into the White Douche category, I won't edit so it doesn't look like I'm trying to avoid the point.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I was going to put Jackson Howard forward, but considering his description in Monitor I'm half convinced he's a weird plastic person instead.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The main city is in Ecuador, so it makes sense there would be a lot of hispanic characters. Looking through the list of runners right now for White men (leaving out Cis since I have no idea if any characters have actually been confirmed as trans). It looks like Exile, Iain Stirling, Laramy Fisk, and Exile are all white men. Maybe Steve Cambridge too.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

neaden posted:

The main city is in Ecuador, so it makes sense there would be a lot of hispanic characters. Looking through the list of runners right now for White men (leaving out Cis since I have no idea if any characters have actually been confirmed as trans). It looks like Exile, Iain Stirling, Laramy Fisk, and Exile are all white men. Maybe Steve Cambridge too.

Nero is trans, but it doesn't matter because he's also non-white.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What about Noise?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

PMush Perfect posted:

What about Noise?

Ji Reilly is not white.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Who?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

PMush Perfect posted:

What about Noise?

I think Noise may also be other-than-cis (I don't want to try to apply a particular identity). But that's going back to apocryphal stuff from Android or Infiltration. (The mediocre tabletop game, not the mostly mediocre security blanket card.)

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

He's indigenous Ecuadorian, not white.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Are we the Farmers of Racism now?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

It is pretty amazing how much representation Netrunner had, though!

Does anyone have instructions on running a Netrunner cube? I'm working on cataloguing all my cards and have been itching to play again.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Miniature Market is having their Black Friday sale early, and all of the remaining Netrunner stuff is on sale.

The Core 2.0 is only $28, which is a great deal since it is no longer being printed. They also have a bunch of the old expansion packs too.

Even the pretty decent novel Freefall is on sale for $1.50. I remember I picked all of the Android novels up for $1 each but then paid $20 shipping straight from FFG. So this is obviously a much better deal for them.

Edit - Here is the sale compilation Google Doc:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eJ_IAaihoQS8YwIEr9ZyVCfVdhBRtWYXB_kMh8lCpS8/edit#gid=2125319941

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

jeeves posted:

Miniature Market is having their Black Friday sale early, and all of the remaining Netrunner stuff is on sale.
Went ahead and finally got the Core 2.0. I've got 1.0 and Data and Destiny and I'm happy as a casual player, I think.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

PMush Perfect posted:

Went ahead and finally got the Core 2.0. I've got 1.0 and Data and Destiny and I'm happy as a casual player, I think.

Core 2.0, Core 1.0, Kitara cycle and Reign & Reverie (if you can find it) probably make for the best Netrunner collection going forward now that the game has ended.

If you wanna go crazy and snap up the Flashpoint and Red Sands you'd probably have an excellent and near-complete-with-relevant cards collection.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Does anyone wanna buy me the Kitara cycle, then? Got a baby on the way so I couldn't justify spending more than $30 on a dead card game.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Quidthulhu posted:

It is pretty amazing how much representation Netrunner had, though!

Does anyone have instructions on running a Netrunner cube? I'm working on cataloguing all my cards and have been itching to play again.

Assuming you have a cube built (if you haven't, you can find some decent lists on the stimhack forum), I've had success with either:

a) draft 4 packs of 10 cards, plus give everyone access to a "starter pack" of some bad cards (e.g. 5x priority requisition, 1 each of aurora, force of nature, pipeline) and some econ (e.g. 2x each of armitage codebusting and private contracts).
b) draft 3 packs of ~15 cards, no starter (this will be more challenging for folks who haven't ever drafted a card game before, but I think it's more fun overall and you don't have to deal with pulling out cards from the starter packs when you're done. remind folks that they need to draft agendas! also perhaps give folks prireqs if they dont draft enough agendas but i've never run into that problem).

These numbers aren't really set in stone, so for instance because big packs don't work that well for small groups, if you don't have a table of the 6-8 folks necessary for a traditional draft you can do something like have more, smaller packs or do something weirder like a grid or solomon draft.

If you're playing with starter packs, I would give people the econ cards individually and just make a big communal pile of the crap agendas/breakers.

Draft corp first, then runner.

Decks should be a minimum of 30 cards (corp will need 14-15 points for a 30-34 card deck) and you should play to 6 points. If your cube has enough duplicates that it matters, I think it's more fun to ignore card count deckbuilding restrictions.

When planning the event, keep in mind that drafting will take a decent chunk of time (probably plan for an hour or more once deck construction is factored in). Also, if you're playing with people who haven't drafted a lot, encourage them to review their picks between packs (or even when making picks), because it sucks to realize you forgot to grab a barrier breaker or somehow have 20 points worth of agendas. For that matter, I've found it to be worth mentioning that drafting econ and cheap unconditional ETR ice is usually going to be a good idea if they have no idea what to pick.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 14, 2018

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

neaden posted:

Racial politics are weird everywhere but other countries' racial politics always look extra weird to someone who doesn't live there. I'd say being Spanish counts as being white in the UK these days, probably due to a combination of mass tourism in the 90s / budget airlines plus the A8 countries joining the EU in 2004, which pushed the "drat forrins" border eastwards.

quote:

Draft corp first, then runner.
I see this mentioned a lot when people talk about drafting. What's the reason for it?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Nov 14, 2018

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Zephro posted:

Racial politics are weird everywhere but other countries' racial politics always look extra weird to someone who doesn't live there. I'd say being Spanish counts as being white in the UK these days, probably due to a combination of mass tourism in the 90s / budget airlines plus the A8 countries joining the EU in 2004, which pushed the "drat forrins" border eastwards.

I see this mentioned a lot when people talk about drafting. What's the reason for it?

In the US someone who is from Spain would be considered white, but someone from Central/South America who looked identical would be considered Hispanic. It is weird yeah.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Zephro posted:

It gives players a chance to see what ICE is in circulation so they can make informed decisions when drafting ICE breakers for the Runner. I accidentally did it the other way around in the first draft I ran and it makes a huge difference.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I can't wait to see this "New Core" business split the fandom between 'people who have complete collections and thus can keep up with rotations' and 'everyone else'.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

I can't wait to see this "New Core" business split the fandom between 'people who have complete collections and thus can keep up with rotations' and 'everyone else'.

You mean 'everyone who has complete collections' and 'everyone with color printers,' right?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

PMush Perfect posted:

Code Marvelous and Metropole played a few games last night with 1x Core 3.0 only, and I was very sad. NISEI definitely poo poo the bed "designing" it. Kati Jones is back, which is (imo) one of the worst feel-bad cards, it's Mopus with no downside and gives the runner hard inevitably in a very hard-to-interact-with package.

I know exactly why Kati was re-added (because pros love good cards) but for something that's gonna be in standard constructed formats (theoretically) going forward, it's a huge misstep IMO.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Easy Diff posted:

Code Marvelous and Metropole played a few games last night with 1x Core 3.0 only, and I was very sad. NISEI definitely poo poo the bed "designing" it. Kati Jones is back, which is (imo) one of the worst feel-bad cards, it's Mopus with no downside and gives the runner hard inevitably in a very hard-to-interact-with package.

I know exactly why Kati was re-added (because pros love good cards) but for something that's gonna be in standard constructed formats (theoretically) going forward, it's a huge misstep IMO.

There was no need to tamper with the cardpool right out of the gate like they did for spurious reasons and I'm not very hyped about their upcoming rules changes either.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 16, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Easy Diff posted:

Kati Jones is back
Oh, THAT'S gonna be fun. Does tagstorm NBN at least have their toolkit? (My first thought is Breaking News into The All Seeing I.)

Edit: Thinking about it, IIRC, Kati is a very efficient but terribly slow primary economy. I dunno if it's what NISEI intended, but that makes her presence a check for bigass slow grindy glacier decks. And how significant that is probably depends on how good the fast advance and disruptive corp decks are.

Or maybe I'm talking out my rear end because it's been a very long time since I played NR seriously.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 16, 2018

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Midjack posted:

There was no need to tamper with the cardpool right out of the gate like they did for spurious reasons and I'm not very hyped about their upcoming rules changes either.

The argument was, "this is just a core 3.0 list for people who want to introduce NR to new players, it's got •/••/••• quantity listings and everything, this "corrects" the shortcomings of Core 2.0 while restoring some of Core 1.0's most-beloved/lost cards"

But it's seriously a terrible list. Things like Eli 1.0, Corroder and Kati Jones are clearly just "we are old players and want our favorite cards back in the pool" instead of "this is the best thing for a balanced, stable meta since there's no cards being added."

In theory, having different collections/strategies wax and wane in popularity/viability is interesting, but yeah - coming out with Core 3.0 right off the bat is gonna hurt NISEI's authority more than anything else in the long run.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Corroder goes in to enable MWL'ing Paperclip, which is a stupid dumb card for stupids.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

Midjack posted:

If there wasn't a change to the cardpool we'd be stuck with the exact same Worlds matchups give or take MWL tweaks up until new cards appeared in what, another six months? I'd say it's far from spurious.

Can't really rotate cards or shift balance until you've got cards to actually replace things.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Destrado posted:

If there wasn't a change to the cardpool we'd be stuck with the exact same Worlds matchups give or take MWL tweaks up until new cards appeared in what, another six months? I'd say it's far from spurious.

Can't really rotate cards or shift balance until you've got cards to actually replace things.

I'm not convinced. The latest official MWL was pretty close to Worlds, and the main issue with it seemed to be that CtM is the obvious Corp choice. Considering a ton of people didn't get their hands on R&R until Worlds itself I think there was some life to squeeze out of it yet.

For anyone who plays with physical cards the NISEI plan seems like it is going to be nightmarish to keep up with. My poor, poor organized binders... :(

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Even if I do manage to trip over a complete set of ANR, I'll probably just keep my MWL 2.2 decks together and proxy any decks using new stuff and if anybody cares they can eat a dick. Not even, like, a good dick. A smelly dick.

Not that this is giving me much faith in their card-designing abilities.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Lol they brought Eli 1.0 back. Of course.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Easy Diff posted:

I’m not sure if it’s a symptom of the respective cardpools or what, but Kati never felt especially degenerate to me, especially compared to Mopus powered green/orange lock decks. Yellow always had the tools to put on enough early pressure to keep Kati from becoming relevant, RP/HB glacier could create scoring windows without a huge credit differential, and Blue Sun could keep pace with an active Kati long enough to find an operation to kill her with, especially if the runner got even a little too greedy.

The game is obviously a lot different now and I’d be willing to believe she’s just too good, but between all the bullshit economy engines people have abused, I think she allowed for a comparatively large amount of interesting decisions for both players and never seemed especially oppressive in the past.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The NISEI Core Set list is up now. I don't think there are any huge surprises there?

e: I take it back, some of those choices seem nuts. But we'll see.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 16, 2018

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Of course they would rotate TD. God forbid Criminal or Weyland get good cards.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Midjack posted:

What are the rules changes?

Core 3.0 looks awful, and is further cementing my decision to ignore everything NISEI is doing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Can we make a goon league? I wouldn't mind a block-constructed or zero-influence sort of minitourney or whatever. poo poo like that to expand the meta, not force it into dumb shapes.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I'd be down for a goon league with interesting rules/constraints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The amount of downing on the NISEI changes really is kinda amazing; I'm pretty much on board with everything, except maybe losing some TD cards that I'd like to see stay. Some of them are now in Core 3.0 though, so I've not had chance to really get my head around which ones I perceive 'missing' yet.