Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

wit posted:

Don't reply to trolling with punctuation and paragraphs, its always copypasted from tumblr.

e:f;b

Haha. fair enough. Moving on, I've been frustrated this week by not dropping anything, and actually ticking up slightly. despite eating 1200-1300 calories. I think it has to do with adding exercise back into my routine and retaining some water as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Biohazard posted:

Haha. fair enough. Moving on, I've been frustrated this week by not dropping anything, and actually ticking up slightly. despite eating 1200-1300 calories. I think it has to do with adding exercise back into my routine and retaining some water as a result.

Are you doing measurements every now and then too? They can be a better indicator of defattening yourself if you do them once a month. And once a week weights is a bit maddening, if you're doing it more often than once a fortnight and logging I've found it to mess with the good habits I'm trying to form personally. If you're leading a more active lifestyle the fat might be coming off and you might be slimming down but still staying the same or even gaining on the scale. Also 1200-1300 calories is basically starving yourself. In the past that's only worked for me to get about a stone off but its completely unsustainable and doesn't really help you hammer into your head a normal way of eating. That's the whole balloon dieting thing. Other really dumb poo poo is time of day, you can change up to ~2kg/4lbs in your weight over the course of a day depending on when you've eaten and the like. If I sound overly particular about this kind of thing its because I work in healthcare and something as simple as weighing a person's weight before a meal one month and after the next can lead to a lot of unnecessary paperwork, doctors calls and nutritionist visits when they're perfectly healthy but on paper :siren:they've lost 2kg:siren: when they haven't really.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

wit posted:

Are you doing measurements every now and then too? They can be a better indicator of defattening yourself if you do them once a month. And once a week weights is a bit maddening, if you're doing it more often than once a fortnight and logging I've found it to mess with the good habits I'm trying to form personally. If you're leading a more active lifestyle the fat might be coming off and you might be slimming down but still staying the same or even gaining on the scale. Also 1200-1300 calories is basically starving yourself. In the past that's only worked for me to get about a stone off but its completely unsustainable and doesn't really help you hammer into your head a normal way of eating. That's the whole balloon dieting thing. Other really dumb poo poo is time of day, you can change up to ~2kg/4lbs in your weight over the course of a day depending on when you've eaten and the like. If I sound overly particular about this kind of thing its because I work in healthcare and something as simple as weighing a person's weight before a meal one month and after the next can lead to a lot of unnecessary paperwork, doctors calls and nutritionist visits when they're perfectly healthy but on paper :siren:they've lost 2kg:siren: when they haven't really.

You know I was just thinking this morning that I really need to start taking body measurements. Might start tracking that this week. And yeah, I weigh in daily, which I know probably isn't the best idea, but I do sort of enjoy seeing the trends of what happens in a given week, and especially how what I do/ don't do on the weekends has an effect on those trends. I do at least weigh in at almost the same exact time every morning.

What had me more frustrated this week was that I had a really healthy and active weekend, and even though I know better, I had hoped to get some instant gratification.

I don't do 1200-1300 every day. I'll usually have a day or 2 like that per week, and the rest of the time it's more like 1600-1800. Thing is, I'm not really finding that I'm ever really that hungry on 1200-1300, nor am I running out of energy or anything. I generally fill out the food I'm going to eat for the day at 1200-1300 and then end up eating more if I'm feeling hungry, and some days I'm just not. EDIT: Also, I don't really worry on friday and saturday about food too much. I just count everything, but often i'm above 2000 on the weekends just due to social events.

The good news is that I'm down 25 lbs, 1/4 of the way to the 100 lbs loss I want to make in the long run. I know it slows down from here, but it's great to get off to a good start, and I'm feeling better than I have in a couple years, both physically and psychologically.

Biohazard fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 14, 2018

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Biohazard posted:

And yeah, I weigh in daily, which I know probably isn't the best idea, but I do sort of enjoy seeing the trends of what happens in a given week, and especially how what I do/ don't do on the weekends has an effect on those trends. I do at least weigh in at almost the same exact time every morning.

Weighing daily is good, so you can see the natural fluctuations and not freak out about it. The more samples you have the smoother the line will look over time. For awhile I was weighing myself morning and evening, but these days it's usually just the morning.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

binge crotching posted:

Weighing daily is good, so you can see the natural fluctuations and not freak out about it. The more samples you have the smoother the line will look over time. For awhile I was weighing myself morning and evening, but these days it's usually just the morning.

Also great for documenting big poops. Seriously sometimes you get surprised by the weight on those things.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Also great for documenting big poops. Seriously sometimes you get surprised by the weight on those things.

Stop measuring your poop and do more exercise.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

2lbs to go, girlfriend is going through a depressive phase and keeps wanting to get McDonalds every night but im staying true so far.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Spermanent Record posted:

Stop measuring your poop and do more exercise.

Poop measuring is a time honored tradition

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Kullik posted:

2lbs to go, girlfriend is going through a depressive phase and keeps wanting to get McDonalds every night but im staying true so far.

Make her get happy meals, play with the toy, I'm sure someone has that listed on MFP as cardio by now.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

binge crotching posted:

Poop measuring is a time honored tradition

This morning my poop was one and a half mouthfuls.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Full mouthfuls as in all liquid? Or are you cheating by not counting the space surrounding a well-formed loaf?

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Are we talking about mouthfuls as a unit of measurement because you weighed yourself before pooping, after pooping, and after eating two mouthfuls of food, so you know the food is equal to the amount you pooped, or....

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
i will devise and build a toilet with built-in scale and become loving super rich!

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Yolomon Wayne posted:

i will devise and build a toilet with built-in scale and become loving super rich!

That's actually a pretty great idea. I'm guessing the Japanese already have something like this though, they love their toilet tech.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Biohazard posted:

That's actually a pretty great idea. I'm guessing the Japanese already have something like this though, they love their toilet tech.

I could indeed have goggled first and dreamt of riches later...

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2009/01/12/toilet-seat-scale-tells-you-how-much-weight-is-lost-after-you-take-a-dump/

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Not being fat is a good thing but Japan takes it to ridiculous extremes that are probably physically and emotionally harmful or at best huge wastes of time. Their karaoke machines tell you how many calories you burned (wtf). The toilet weighing thing. I've heard of a host family overtly and explicitly putting a visitor on a diet.

I actually think that the reason Japanese people are short is only partly genetic. I suspect they stunt their children's growth by underfeeding them because they are so worried about having fat kids.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

feelix posted:

Not being fat is a good thing but Japan takes it to ridiculous extremes that are probably physically and emotionally harmful or at best huge wastes of time. Their karaoke machines tell you how many calories you burned (wtf). The toilet weighing thing. I've heard of a host family overtly and explicitly putting a visitor on a diet.

I actually think that the reason Japanese people are short is only partly genetic. I suspect they stunt their children's growth by underfeeding them because they are so worried about having fat kids.

Yeah but they have shops that sell actual food stuff snacks that aren't literally 10 spoons of sugar on a "salad" too. It would seem miles easier to accidentally eat real people food in Japan. I think it makes for a healthier country if people slip and fall into a real people meal if they're starving.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I'm more than 60% of the way to my goal, just dropped under 200 pounds and drat it feels good to see that first digit turn into a one! :woop:

Really glad I've been taking photos of myself in a standard pose to help visually track my weight loss. I only started like 8 pounds ago, but when I flip between the pictures I can see progress I'd never notice otherwise.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Tip posted:

I'm more than 60% of the way to my goal, just dropped under 200 pounds and drat it feels good to see that first digit turn into a one! :woop:

Really glad I've been taking photos of myself in a standard pose to help visually track my weight loss. I only started like 8 pounds ago, but when I flip between the pictures I can see progress I'd never notice otherwise.

I tried this but i didnt think about the standard pose part, so now all my pics are different poses up until the last few so its really hard to tell if there's any difference.
20st 1lb now, im so close!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

feelix posted:

You don't have to be fat to get enough nutrients to support optimal physical growth :wtc:

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
No but undernourishment can lead to stunted growth.

Anyways there are fat people in Japan, though not nearly as large of a percentage as many other places in the world, and those fat Japanese people are still short, so I'm fairly confident that genetics are by far the bigger influence.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Mcdonald's was the influence.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I found out Jimmy Dean started making breadless breakfast frittata sandwiches ("egg'wich") and I'm liking them a lot. It's 2 mini frittatas with a slice of cheese and a turkey or chicken sausage patty in between, frozen. Takes a couple of minutes to heat up. 8 grams of net carbs, 14 grams protein. They have several different flavors, so far I tried the broccoli and cheese frittata with chicken sausage and the bacon/spinach/caramelized onion/parmesan frittata with Turkey sausage. I have trouble getting myself to eat breakfast in the mornings because I never feel hungry and I usually get irritable and/or overeat during the day if I don't so it's been good for me.

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

An egotistical being like myself can't be allowed to live...
I'm still reading the thread but some other goons are talking about how that 600lb life quotes thread inspired them to lose weight and I wanted to jump on the bandwagon, I had a realisation that what I saw when I read that thread was how other people saw me and anyway I lost 100lbs so far this year. Thanks for being uncaring assholes, goons.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

My weight loss journey began when I wanted to postpone my mandatory military service to go to college in the US.

They put you in the same room as 100 other guys, strip you, and then measure your height and weight. Then they write the numbers on your left shoulder with some sort of marker and you file down past a table to get your measurements recorded. When it was my time they added OBESE underneath my weight as well.

I don't know what goddamn marker they used but it didn't come off for about a week, and you could still see it faded for the next month. It was a big wake up call, and I'm glad I had to go through that earlier in my life than later.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥
Thought I'd check in with the thread to help keep myself accountable.

It's been a month? I think? Since I whined at you guys and got some wonderful effortposts and awesome advice back from y'all. And some great advice and support from a few other people with pcos which I took to heart and so far...

In that month-ish I've lost 5kg, the first week was just logging what I ate etc to get a baseline and used to weighing and logging everything, the next week was eating around 2000cal/day, because it seemed a good place to start, the past two weeks I've been aiming for 1800cal/day and usually ending up slightly under.
Tbh i'm still exhausted, still constantly hungry some days, still have to plan the doing things days in advance, but less so than I was before, and the act of thinking about and having to log my food has already made me change my eating habits in a huge way and how I think about what I eat, if its worth it, can i eat something better, but not what my idiot body is screaming at me that I need, like, instead of a whole-rear end packet of chips can I have literally anything else and just crack a bunch of salt in my hand to lick like a weirdo instead? (QUESTION TO PCOS BUDDIES, do you eat an absurd amount of salt, like literally crack a bunch of salt into your palm or whatever to eat several times a day? Or is this a different weird thing?)

Tbh Some days I still eat crap and have a whole rear end bottle of wine, if I can make it fit, because I am trying to tackle my excessive eating as well as my excessive drinking, but I realise the next day how garbage it makes me feel and don't really like doing it as much any more. Once it's like "calories say I can have... 1 1/2 glasses of wine, well pffft I'll have some blueberries instead because I know my alco rear end can't handle only having that much wine and leaving the rest"

I've also done the extremely low bar for activity I set myself last time I posted of a half hour walk or something a day, most days. Some days I honestly can't even, but at least make myself go for a 15min walk to thw shops to buy literally anything on the grocery list, and I've convinced my housemate and best friend to start playing pokemon go with me, so I set a ~4hrs walking for the week, so some weekends we accidentally go on several hour pokemon walks, which I don't take out of my calorie limit for the day bevause it's walking.

This has been a long rear end self-centred reply to this beautiful thread, but I am tackling like several issues at once and there's a lot to go through. I feel bad I hadn't updated for like a month, not bevause anyone cares but because I want to keep myself accountable and SA is a good place for that without having to make it a thibg where I have to tell all my friends that I'm okay, I don't hate them, it's for me, I don't think they're wrong, it's for me etc etc etc because while all my friends are thin af, they seem to take me trying to lose weight personally for some reason I don't understand?

Fake edit: So much whining, I'm sorry thread, I love you, won't happen again.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Sir, this is a Mcdonalds drive thru.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Dixville posted:

I found out Jimmy Dean started making breadless breakfast frittata sandwiches ("egg'wich") and I'm liking them a lot. It's 2 mini frittatas with a slice of cheese and a turkey or chicken sausage patty in between, frozen. Takes a couple of minutes to heat up. 8 grams of net carbs, 14 grams protein. They have several different flavors, so far I tried the broccoli and cheese frittata with chicken sausage and the bacon/spinach/caramelized onion/parmesan frittata with Turkey sausage. I have trouble getting myself to eat breakfast in the mornings because I never feel hungry and I usually get irritable and/or overeat during the day if I don't so it's been good for me.

Frittata is one of the best dishes I make. Wife loves it. Pretty easy too. It’s as complex or simple as you want it. As healthy or rich as you want. I think it works best with a nice cast iron skillet that you can throw in the oven to finish, but my grandma has been making Frittata for 80 years by flipping it over and keeping it on the stove the whole time. Either way works.

I usually make mine with some sausage or bacon, but it’s also real easy to make vegetarian too. Just use more veggies.

Bloodfart McCoy fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 25, 2018

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

gently caress off with this, coward. If you're gonna talk poo poo, at least do it with your own words rather than a tired-rear end catchphrase.

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

so some weekends we accidentally go on several hour pokemon walks, which I don't take out of my calorie limit for the day bevause it's walking.

Good news. Walking is actually amazing for burning calories, especially if you're going long distances. This might be slightly influencing how hungry you tend to be, too.

Your friends are probably mad about you losing weight because in their heads you're the Fat Friend and stepping out of your zone. It's weirdly common, not necessarily a sign that they're poo poo, but it seems to happen to everyone who really goes hard on weight loss.

It sounds like you're very anxious judging by your way of typing, so I'd suggest doing some breathing exercises. Breathing deeply tells your body that it's time to relax and not freak out about random poo poo. It's a good way of using a physiological response to calm down your psychological pressures. Haven't been able to find the one I was taught after a few minutes of looking, but the belly breathing one seems fine.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Yeah, gently caress off you lame lazy catchphrase fucker.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

I started writing a long post whining about how my mother in law’s family is in town and we’ve been going out to dinner every drat day with them since Thanksgiving and it’s making me fat again.

Then halfway through writing I realized there were plenty of healthier options on the menus that I made the decision to avoid. I could have offered to go shopping for them and cook a delicious, healthy meal for a quarter the price I’ve spent on dining out the last two days. It made me kind of get my poo poo in check and realize that the decisions I make are my own. And ultimately I can only be upset with myself for not sticking to my diet. Good talk.

The duck and foie gras ravioli I had last night was delicious :colbert:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

klapman posted:

Good news. Walking is actually amazing for burning calories, especially if you're going long distances. This might be slightly influencing how hungry you tend to be, too.

Yeah, I was surprised when I learned how effective walking is. If you compare calorie burn by mile there's only a 30% difference between slowly walking and running as fast as you can. Really, running's biggest advantage as an exercise is that it takes less time.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Don't eat

Cut thread

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Tip posted:

Yeah, I was surprised when I learned how effective walking is. If you compare calorie burn by mile there's only a 30% difference between slowly walking and running as fast as you can. Really, running's biggest advantage as an exercise is that it takes less time.

Please link this study because it sounds like bullshit, and even if there is a specific person for whom that difference is accurate (maybe a very unfit person for whom maximum running speed is very slow), it would vary hugely between individuals. It's also going to vary hugely depending on the distance traveled. I don't believe that a capable sprinter is only going to burn 30% more calories sprinting a 100m over "very slowly" walking a 100m.

feelix fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 25, 2018

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

feelix posted:

Please link this study because it sounds like bullshit, and even if there is a specific person for whom that difference is accurate (maybe a very unfit person for whom maximum running speed is very slow), it would vary hugely between individuals. It's also going to vary hugely depending on the distance traveled. I don't believe that a capable sprinter is only going to burn 30% more calories sprinting a 100m over "very slowly" walking a 100m.

I can't find it now, but I remember a 'speed walking vs light jogging (same speed)' article which basically pointed to the efficiency of the movement.

As in, burn rate increases with speed for both walking and running. Speed walking burns more than lightly jogging because the movements are retarded.

Can't remember the gap, though. Only 30%?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Also for anyone starting off waking puts you in zone 2/3 for cardio until you're getting fit.

It's better to stay there than over it, go figure. Go walk, goons.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I've been sprinting occasionally, like 1 KM, to catch an earlier train when going home from work, and just like a week of doing so already makes it feel easier. I never run really, my cardio is kettlebell swings and squat variations. I think I may, due to this bit of running, run for real some time. Just a thought.

Woden
May 6, 2006
30% is probably right, walking at 2mph for an hour is 170 calories according to myfitnesspal.

Running at 10mph for an hour is 1089 calories according to MFP, 170*1.3*5=1105 which is basically the same.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

klapman posted:

Your friends are probably mad about you losing weight because in their heads you're the Fat Friend and stepping out of your zone. It's weirdly common, not necessarily a sign that they're poo poo, but it seems to happen to everyone who really goes hard on weight loss.

It sounds like you're very anxious judging by your way of typing, so I'd suggest doing some breathing exercises. Breathing deeply tells your body that it's time to relax and not freak out about random poo poo. It's a good way of using a physiological response to calm down your psychological pressures. Haven't been able to find the one I was taught after a few minutes of looking, but the belly breathing one seems fine.
This is excellent news! I'd always assumed walking wasn't good for burning calories because, like, it's the thinghumans are best and most efficient at.
I am extremely happy to be wrong about this because walking owns and I'm obsessed with pokemon go >.<

And i didn't realise it was so obvious just from my lovely rambling, but I do indeed have hella anxiety, I'm on meds for it and have started trying daily meditation, but adding breathing exercises would probs help too, thanks!

I already apologised for the whiny, rambly length my dude? I mean, I'm sorry I'm lovely at posting, if you can point me to a more appropriate thread I'll go annoy them instead of making GBS threads up this one with my sad fat whines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

I already apologised for the whiny, rambly length my dude? I mean, I'm sorry I'm lovely at posting, if you can point me to a more appropriate thread I'll go annoy them instead of making GBS threads up this one with my sad fat whines.

I just got back from a 65km cycle, gonna do it again tomorrow morning. Anyone else enjoying not being fat anymore?