Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

With Tomb Kings and Vampire Pirates CA has the perfect template on how to do end game(In Vortex campaign at least), which is to let the player decide when it had enough. Getting the books and infamy are based solely on the player's pace of the game, and can be resolved whenever the player feels like it. More of this instead of invasions and other dumb poo poo like stacks of skaven on top of your cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

To be fair my favorite warhammer battle happened when skaven were dropped by my capital, ambushed my main army with I think 2-3 stacks, and I was down to 2 or 3 dino boys at the end fighting wave after wave of those loving rats but they held on. Pretty awesome.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I'd be ok with the ritual armies if they only attacked the ritual sites.

Having an epic showdown at the walls of Hexoatl = cool
Recolonizing a bunch of minor settlements = not cool

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Anyone having a bug where lightning strike doesn't have any effect on autoresolve odds?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Whorelord posted:

Anyone having a bug where lightning strike doesn't have any effect on autoresolve odds?

Are you doing it against a city?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

kidkissinger posted:

Are you doing it against a city?

Nah, was facing a full stack and a half stack and had 50/50 odds both with and without lightning strike, was really weird

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Whorelord posted:

Nah, was facing a full stack and a half stack and had 50/50 odds both with and without lightning strike, was really weird

Were you attacking the full stack or the half stack? It's possible that autoresolve doesn't think the half stack will matter much

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Kaza42 posted:

Were you attacking the full stack or the half stack? It's possible that autoresolve doesn't think the half stack will matter much

Tried both and had the same result. Was still 50/50 even when I had already defeated the first one and lightning striked the half stack.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
CA needs to make an American Revolution total war but base it off this source https://twitter.com/nick_kapur/status/1062823813338091520

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

PlushCow posted:

CA needs to make an American Revolution total war but base it off this source

This just makes me want a Theodore Roosevelt anime. Or brawler or something.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Is there a consensus about what the pirates are doing in the endless seas after hailing the mighty? "Calling?" Trawling?" "Caught in?"

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Electronico6 posted:

With Tomb Kings and Vampire Pirates CA has the perfect template on how to do end game(In Vortex campaign at least), which is to let the player decide when it had enough. Getting the books and infamy are based solely on the player's pace of the game, and can be resolved whenever the player feels like it. More of this instead of invasions and other dumb poo poo like stacks of skaven on top of your cities.

Yeah I had great fun with the Sartosa Campaign just sailing around and attacking Pirate armies for their Pieces of Eight.

Now I'm hopping into a Settra Vortex campaign, these are both so much better than the standard vortex campaign. The same thing happened with TWW1 with the Wood Elf, Norsca, and Brettonia campaigns being better than the standard ones too.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

man, i really do not like taking Itza as lord skrolk. the garrison there is just nuts.

Half stack catapult and half monks. Have an extra 20 slaves reinforcing so the towers and skirms shoot them and monsters attack them first. You might want a couple of gutter runners for fliers

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
What's the most kills you've gotten from a bloaty? Had a battle vs nothing but regular Deckhand dudes and belly flopped on them when they clumped around Harkon near a choke point and got 164 kills!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
One day I'll remember to take a Bloated Corpse along to a siege. That's how you get the big k:ds.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
How have you guys been doing the Lokir ME start? I'm finding it really difficult to get off the ground: you've got Oxyl occupied by Pestilens and heavily defended, and it's pushing you to 70-85% corruption which means constant rebellions. You can't get enough money to pay enough guys to fight Pestilens so you've basically gotta sit there and kill rebels forever.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

How have you guys been doing the Lokir ME start? I'm finding it really difficult to get off the ground: you've got Oxyl occupied by Pestilens and heavily defended, and it's pushing you to 70-85% corruption which means constant rebellions. You can't get enough money to pay enough guys to fight Pestilens so you've basically gotta sit there and kill rebels forever.

Don't go for anything inland. All you need is your starting province then the altar of the Horned Rat and then the Citadel of Dusk. Make sure you're farming your uprisings for bonus slaves and you wall up all of your cities. In my opinion you don't want to build any regular recruitment buildings and should be able to get by with just Black Ark stuff.

Also, make sure you get diplomacy going with the TK faction to your west.

Edit: thought this was for Vortex. Is it the same start in ME?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Parallelwoody posted:

To be fair my favorite warhammer battle happened when skaven were dropped by my capital, ambushed my main army with I think 2-3 stacks, and I was down to 2 or 3 dino boys at the end fighting wave after wave of those loving rats but they held on. Pretty awesome.

One of my favourites was a large Skaven intervention when I was Lizardmen on my very first ritual on my very first campaign.

I had no idea they'd appear there, panicked and hit the rite that generates a stack of dino's and then tour apart the Skaven with Dino power.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Dr Christmas posted:

Is there a consensus about what the pirates are doing in the endless seas after hailing the mighty? "Calling?" Trawling?" "Caught in?"

Pretty sure they are "parting" endless seas. Though, listening again it now sounds like "caught in".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7tJELpDfKU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

One day I'll remember to take a Bloated Corpse along to a siege. That's how you get the big k:ds.

I've got a couple hundred kills with the grenadier deck hands against bottlenecked troops in river maps. I wonder if that'd work in sieges but suspect the projectiles wouldn't actually make it through the gate

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

terrorist ambulance posted:

I've got a couple hundred kills with the grenadier deck hands against bottlenecked troops in river maps. I wonder if that'd work in sieges but suspect the projectiles wouldn't actually make it through the gate

Depends on how inaccurate they are. I've had decent results with explosive charge Miners and the deck hand bombers are an extremely similar type of unit. Having a gunnery wight supporting them would definitely go a long way.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Trying to figure out the point of deck droppers. Because on the surface, they just seem like a flying version of their ground counterparts with about a third the number of models.

Really the only good thing about them is that they can regenerate, so if you are up against a lot of missile fire you can pull back, recover a bit, then re engage. But even in the unlikely event you are up against an army with neither missile weapons nor flyers, they don't have the damage output to accomplish much.

I think they need some serious stat tweaking. Give them much better melee defense so that like bats, they can tie up a unit in melee (making enemy flyers less of a threat). Scale up the missile damage to compensate for the smaller model count, give the handgun version bonus missile dmg vs flyers, and make the bomber version literally drop exploding corpses as a 1-shot deal that leaves you with a slightly better bat swarm equivalent afterwards. You pay a cost premium to have flyers and their ammo would also be more limited, but now each version has a niche. The basic ones would be flying harrassers, the rifle guys would shoot other flyers out of the sky, and the bomber one could soften up big swarms.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The cool thing to do would be to give the regular deck droppers a suicide kamikaze attack.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
They're there to harass pretty much everything, kill artillery, pester large units to death and help snipe out lords who run on low health.

The Vampire Coast is insanely slow. A fast moving unit that has range and can also fly is a great thing to have in your pocket. You're gonna see them in pretty much every single Multiplayer build going, if anything they're way too cheap for what they do.

This doesn't apply to the Bomber variant which is hot garbage.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Panfilo posted:

Trying to figure out the point of deck droppers. Because on the surface, they just seem like a flying version of their ground counterparts with about a third the number of models.

Really the only good thing about them is that they can regenerate, so if you are up against a lot of missile fire you can pull back, recover a bit, then re engage. But even in the unlikely event you are up against an army with neither missile weapons nor flyers, they don't have the damage output to accomplish much.

I think they need some serious stat tweaking. Give them much better melee defense so that like bats, they can tie up a unit in melee (making enemy flyers less of a threat). Scale up the missile damage to compensate for the smaller model count, give the handgun version bonus missile dmg vs flyers, and make the bomber version literally drop exploding corpses as a 1-shot deal that leaves you with a slightly better bat swarm equivalent afterwards. You pay a cost premium to have flyers and their ammo would also be more limited, but now each version has a niche. The basic ones would be flying harrassers, the rifle guys would shoot other flyers out of the sky, and the bomber one could soften up big swarms.

Harassing cavalry going on the flanks. I think they're pretty good at the role of hunting down anyone that decided to get far from their main lines to get around your back line.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fans posted:

The Vampire Coast is insanely slow. A fast moving unit that has range and can also fly is a great thing to have in your pocket. You're gonna see them in pretty much every single Multiplayer build going, if anything they're way too cheap for what they do.

This is my view. I think they're kind of pointless in single player but will be a regular feature in multi, and there's nothing wrong at all with that.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Cythereal posted:

This is my view. I think they're kind of pointless in single player but will be a regular feature in multi, and there's nothing wrong at all with that.

I'd say you still want to bring some Handgunner Deck Droppers when you unlock them in Campaign because they can snipe lords insanely easily against AI and are just generally strong all round.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

One of the nicest things about flying deck droppers is that they're actually flying. They don't have to worry about line of sight pretty much ever.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, they're pretty popular in multi because many factions have trouble dealing with them.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
it's too bad the vampire coast is never in the badlands really because there's a great defensive river map i regularly wrack up insane kills with thunderers and organ guns on where both sides go into a small valley with two openings. you can really plug up those openings with chaff and rain holy hell down the opposite side assuming you have decent range and guns there.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Impermanent posted:

it's too bad the vampire coast is never in the badlands really because there's a great defensive river map i regularly wrack up insane kills with thunderers and organ guns on where both sides go into a small valley with two openings. you can really plug up those openings with chaff and rain holy hell down the opposite side assuming you have decent range and guns there.

That map spawns in lots of places, actually. I had a stack of mutineers attack Harkon in Lustria with like 19 regular deck hand units which was a hilariously easy victory when you have a good mix of melee, ranged and exploding fat men.

Hell, I've had garrisons Sally out to engage me when sieging them and ending up with that map lol.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

For the most part I feel like flying ranged units are complete trash. Their versatility and ease of use means that they do gently caress all damage to compensate, so it ends up being the sort of situation where yeah, you can easily get them exactly where you want with little risk, but they don't do anything while they're there so it's like you are playing with a 19 stack instead of a 20.

Handgun Deck Droppers though? Those dudes are actually pretty good. Especially with the tech/lord skills that drastically increase their damage. A couple of them will easily delete a unit of Dragon Princes or whatever before they can engage, and will do very solid work on other important targets throughout the rest of the battle. Every time I use them they have very competitive kill counts and the things they are killing are usually expensive and valuable. Don't have a ton of ammo though.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I've had a tricky time micromanaging them since they are fairly squishy and can start crumbling pretty fast if you're not careful.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
With Handgun Deckdroppers you can treat them exactly the same as the zombies but ones who get to shoot from the air and so don't have to give a poo poo about line of sight if you don't want to micro them.

For pistols you're pretty much singing up to micro them if you take them. Gives you something to do when the rest of your army is basically on autopilot.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fans posted:

They're there to harass pretty much everything, kill artillery, pester large units to death and help snipe out lords who run on low health.

This doesn't apply to the Bomber variant which is hot garbage.

Also consider that in MP, a unit's value is pretty much based around how much it costs vs how much it gets done on the field. In SP, the value of a unit is much less about cost (though it's a factor) and more about simply filling a slot. Deck droppers are great MP units, but in SP they're fairly weak. In comparison, I'd bet that Queen Bess is an expensive boondoggle in MP, but in SP it's pretty much the best thing going.

Also the AI is awful against artillery and at protecting its own artillery, so it's trivial to vanguard some mournguls and shut down enemy artillery and ranged better than you would with deck droppers, and at less risk to the units involved. A human probably doesn't let that happen.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Ravenfood posted:

Also consider that in MP, a unit's value is pretty much based around how much it costs vs how much it gets done on the field. In SP, the value of a unit is much less about cost (though it's a factor) and more about simply filling a slot. Deck droppers are great MP units, but in SP they're fairly weak. In comparison, I'd bet that Queen Bess is an expensive boondoggle in MP, but in SP it's pretty much the best thing going.

That's fair but actually Queen Bess is surprisingly competitive in Multiplayer. It's a bit of a beast.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Is there a mod to let vcs use mournghuls yet? Kemlers good fun in every other respect, but it would be nice.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

one thing i think people miss with noctilus is the war declaration missions he gets. they're just random missions to declare war on people, but the reward is a 10 or so turn buff of 50%+ campaign movement speed and some other decent combat buff. he also, for his first mission to attack the nearby elf ship, gets a +100% movement buff for a decent number of turns.

it ends up translating to noctilus basically being able to pick where on the map he starts his campaign, and gives him the ability to move way way further than any other faction, so he can be truly dominant at sea and pick all his engagements.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

What's the strat for Cyclostera? How much should I capture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Asehujiko posted:

I'd be ok with the ritual armies if they only attacked the ritual sites.

Having an epic showdown at the walls of Hexoatl = cool
Recolonizing a bunch of minor settlements = not cool

I like dropping 10k on a ritual harassment team, seeing them spawn next to an unguarded minor city being used as a ritual site, then run off to attack a completely different city with a full stack in it and instantly all dying.

That's cool too.