Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Wamsutta posted:

Unearth is metalcore Slayer. You always know what you're getting. If they're your thing, you're going to like every release.

That's the thing for me. Like, I know they're loving great at what they do and I get why people like them, but, for whatever reason, they just don't quite click with me. It kinda bums me out. The only album I can think of that I've listened through in its entirety is The March (granted, I've listened to it multiple times) because, anytime I start up an album, I just kinda tune out after a few songs. I tend to listen to the singles a time or two as they come out ('cause, hey, new music), but I've never been blown away by them, even though I know they're crushers in the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
The Oncoming Storm is definitely in the list of Top 5 Metalcore Albums Ever

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

kumba posted:

Unquestionably.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
also on that list

The Fall of Ideals
Undoing Ruin
The Art of Balance

maybe End of Heartache or Alive or Just Breathing, though I kinda wanna put The Mortal Coil on this list because it's that loving good

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

kumba posted:

kumba posted:

also on that list

The Fall of Ideals
Undoing Ruin
The Art of Balance

maybe End of Heartache or Alive or Just Breathing, though I kinda wanna put The Mortal Coil on this list because it's that loving good

I agree with all of this. AOJB 100% makes that cut for me too. And Frail Words Collapse.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

• The Art of Balance - 2002
  • Alive or Just Breathing - 2002
  • Frail Words Collapse - 2003
  • Of Malice and the Magnum Heart - 2004
  • The Oncoming Storm - 2004
  • The Caitiff Choir - 2004
  • Undoing Ruin - 2005
  • The Fall of Ideals - 2006

i like lists. added my two essential entries in bold

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

ShoogaSlim posted:

• Undoing Ruin - 2005

i like lists. added my two essential entries in bold

Very solid additions. I've been on an It Dies Today kick this week myself. Forever Scorned and Caitiff Choir still go so loving hard, Forever Scorned is one of the heaviest metalcore releases ever. I still can't get into Sirens even with Nick on vocals. I prefer Lividity to Sirens despite the sub par vox on that record.

Why couldn't they keep going after they dropped that new song in 2014 :(

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Sirens is definitely my metalcore guilty pleasure. I love that record for some reason despite recognizing it's well below their other ones

I have never actually listened to most of Misery Signals output, so I suppose I should do that soon

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Please add Hot drat! to the list thank you in advance.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

No love for The March? That album introduced me to Unearth.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

By the way I know the new Ocean album was mentioned in brief but it might be my AOTY I just can't stop listening to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ksF5iDVF3g

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 16, 2018

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Inspector_666 posted:

Please add Hot drat! to the list thank you in advance.

• Hot drat! - 2003
  • Undoing Ruin - 2005

The March doesn't cut it

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Snow Cone Capone posted:

No love for The March? That album introduced me to Unearth.

It's a good album, I really like how melodic it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PneaHFZwQA

^^^ The riff during the chorus is one of my favorite Unearth riffs.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
The March is great but does not hold a candle to The Oncoming Storm, and I would still contend that Watchers of Rule and III are better but The March is a solid 4th

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

kumba posted:

The March is great but does not hold a candle to The Oncoming Storm, and I would still contend that Watchers of Rule and III are better but The March is a solid 4th

Personally I would put The March at #3 or 4 also.

Really though, Unearth has never released a bad album.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Personally I would put The March at #3 or 4 also.

Really though, Unearth has never released a bad album.

This is true. 4th place in a list of solid gold is still real good

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
been listening to this today, it's good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvjJUCq-OGw

1:35-2:00 givin me BTBAM vibes

e: the vocalist reminds me a lot of Caleb Shomo from Beartooth / Attack! Attack!

kumba fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 16, 2018

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Several of the dudes from The Afterimage (rip) reformed as a Berserk-themed deathcore group called Brand of Sacrifice. They put out an EP a couple months back, but I can't remember if we talked about it here. It's worth checking out for sure. Anyway, they just posted their first video today. Please to enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJmhpocZ4TU

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
August Burns Red put out more Christmas music and it's definitely August Burns Red doing more Christmas music, so if you're into that you'll like it.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
been jamming these guys this morning since their drummer randomly friended me on facebook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnSQZufy9LE

not bad

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Anyone listen to the new Unearth album yet?

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Oh poo poo is that out today? Getting on that ASAP.

Also TAIM put out a new song today. I can be pretty 50/50 on their music, but this loving rips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic9cwrY9WAI

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Anyone listen to the new Unearth album yet?

It's really, really good

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Where should one start with Darkest Hour?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Eight Is Legend posted:

Where should one start with Darkest Hour?

I would just start at the beginning. I don't find their first two albums super compelling, but Hidden Hands of a Sadist Nation > Undoing Ruin > Deliver Us is an incredible run of records, and at least listening from the start will give you some context.

I also really like their 2014 self-titled but I may be the only one. Took a very different (read: soft) approach that a lot of people were disappointed with but there's still good riffs. Their one from last year was a good return to form

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

If you're not in for all that much, I think just Undoing Ruin is probably fine. :shobon:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Beelzebozo posted:

If you're not in for all that much, I think just Undoing Ruin and Deliver Us is probably fine. :shobon:

ftfy

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, if you're not upto just starting from the beginning and seeing the progression, just listen to Undoing Ruin and Deliver Us, those are pretty much universally considered two of their best albums. The one they released last year is real good also.

Man, the new Unearth album fuckin rips. As if there was any doubt it would :allears:

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
Hidden Hands of a Sadist Nation is criminally underrated. Mark of Judas is super fun and its cool to see how much they added to the core sound of that album over the years.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

abso-loving-lutely bonkers to me that you guys think anything tops mark of the judas. you're just plain old wrong.

new unearth rules. hard lined downfall has a breakdown that's heavier than any they've ever put out i think.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Some of y'all might be into this new Ghost Iris. It sounds as strong as anything they've put out yet, and I'm down to hear the rest of the tape in February.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwTeYxhjlog

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
god drat there isn't a bad or even mediocre track on the new Unearth tape, it's relentless all the way through.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

TheIllestVillain posted:

god drat there isn't a bad or even mediocre track on the new Unearth tape, it's relentless all the way through.

Haha, just came in from my commute to work to post this (listened to it on the way). "King of the Arctic" is such a fuckin' jam.

The Australian dudes in Justice for the Damned has a new track out that goes extremely hard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaxred9k-iU

Eight Is Legend fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Nov 28, 2018

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzfaLf44PZs

Anyone in the mood for a new tune from TAIM?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

XIII posted:

Anyone in the mood for a new tune from TAIM?

Forum foul. Same page.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Beelzebozo posted:

Forum foul. Same page.

SHITFUCK. Sorry, all, totally missed that.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
Unearth and Architects definitely tie for my favorite core record this year. The raw power of Architects and the loving RIFFS Unearth came up with can't be topped.

What's everybody else feeling for their faves?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

There's been a shitload of amazing releases this year, and both the new Architects and the new Unearth loving crush it, and the new BTBAM double album was so loving good, but I've literally been listening to the new Ocean album nonstop for 2 weeks and it's still not old so I might actually have to stand by it

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

architects is good but boring af. i already forgot they came out with an album

vein - errorzone is aoty tyvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i admittedly have not listened to a ton of core this year. vein's is pretty good but i think im goin with unearth for core aoty, maybe rolo tomassi if that counts