Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Amalgam had 2 or 4 trades, but they may be pricey and difficult to get ahold of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Alaois posted:

I know they've been collected in individual trades but I don't know if there's one big Warzones trade

If all the side stories are collected in trades that's good enough for me. Just have to hunt them down. Although, now thinking about it, digital might be the best way to go with those.

Servoret posted:

The Order runs six issues, and it’s a sequel/ending storyline to a twelve issue Defenders series done right before that by Kurt Busiek and Erik Larsen. Issue 1 of that Defenders series is when the villain curses them, which is basically just an excuse to get the original team to go on the kind of adventures they did in the early Seventies. If you’re looking for stupid fun you might want to check it out.

Stupid fun comics are my favorites anymore. I'll see if I can find the rest of those. This store had a bunch of poorly organized floppies in long boxes and these were specifically from one collector, so he might have the Defenders leading up to that. Thanks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Retro Futurist posted:

Amalgam had 2 or 4 trades, but they may be pricey and difficult to get ahold of

A set of all 4 was upwards of $200 last spring when I was searching for them for a customer.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Batman 440-442. New Titans 60-61.

What you want is in Batman #440, page 8?

That seems about right, thanks!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Does Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew) still have that thing where she emits pheromones that attract men and repel women? Or has she got it under control or has she lost it?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bessantj posted:

Does Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew) still have that thing where she emits pheromones that attract men and repel women? Or has she got it under control or has she lost it?

Jess mentions it in Hopeless' run as a reason why she doesn't date very much, I believe, but I think they've toned down the repel part.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Jess mentions it in Hopeless' run as a reason why she doesn't date very much, I believe, but I think they've toned down the repel part.

Thanks, I really have to catch up with these.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Is there a good podcast that takes an issue-by-issue look at Crisis on Infinite Earths? I feel like reading it again and would like something to listen to while I do so.

I'm looking for something like what The Fantasticast is doing with the Fantastic Four, or From Crisis to Crisis does with the post-crisis Superman.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
does anybody have the rest of the page that this is from?

I remembered the scene, but can only find clips of this one panel. I need it to make a dumb point to someone about the Batsman

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Lunatic Sledge posted:

does anybody have the rest of the page that this is from?

I remembered the scene, but can only find clips of this one panel. I need it to make a dumb point to someone about the Batsman

Do you know the specific issue?

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
what really counts as a superhero? I sometimes don't consider folks like doctor strange and constantine to be ones for various reasons while iron man is undoubtedly one, even if he ain't street level.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
If they fight crime doing things the reader can’t do.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Golden Bee posted:

If they fight crime doing things the reader can’t do.

Who's the legal authority that decides what is and isn't "crime" when it comes to spacemen like Adam Warlock and the Silver Surfer?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I guess you could take it to the grand tribunal but theyd probably just tell you to stop wasting their time

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Fruity20 posted:

what really counts as a superhero? I sometimes don't consider folks like doctor strange and constantine to be ones for various reasons while iron man is undoubtedly one, even if he ain't street level.

Being a superhero is like being a nation. If you can get enough other superheroes to recognize you as one, then you are.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Let my inner 12 year old answer this question for you. Superhero implies super powers, while hero implies no super powers. So even though Batman trains himself to peak physical conditions, he is still a mortal person without super powers, whereas mutants have extra-human style powers henceforth they are classified as superheroes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
How can Batman not be a superhero if he's in the Superfriends?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

He's just a super friend to have.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Batman is a pulp hero granted the superhero label by association and by virtue of being a comic book character. That's my take.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Or as many have said, his power is being super rich.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

Or as many have said, his power is being super rich.

That's Most Excellent Super Bat.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

prefect posted:

Who's the legal authority that decides what is and isn't "crime" when it comes to spacemen like Adam Warlock and the Silver Surfer?

Adam warlock is commuting a crime if he currently has an Afro

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Lobok posted:

Batman is a pulp hero granted the superhero label by association and by virtue of being a comic book character. That's my take.

I don’t know if there’s any pulp heroes that had a “no killing” policy. The Shadow and the Black Bat sure didn’t. I think what you’re claiming is far more true of the Punisher than of Batman.

Servoret fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 16, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Servoret posted:

I don’t know if there’s any pulp heroes that had a “no killing” policy. The Shadow and the Black Bat sure didn’t. I think what you’re claiming is far more true of the Punisher than of Batman.

Aren't they usually trying to catch the bad guys, they just have no compunction against killing, not intentionally looking for large groups of baddies to massacre.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

All superheroes should be like stardust

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Servoret posted:

Batman's no killing rule come about a few years after his creation. Early Batman stories showed that Batman had no problem killing people, or using a gun, or throwing people off buildings to their death. I think the no killing rule for Batman was introduced probably around the time Robin was, but I could be wrong with that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

Batman's no killing rule come about a few years after his creation. Early Batman stories showed that Batman had no problem killing people, or using a gun, or throwing people off buildings to their death. I think the no killing rule for Batman was introduced probably around the time Robin was, but I could be wrong with that.

You are correct it was introduced with Robin, in issue #4 of Batman He only ran around with a gun for like 2 years at most, the character is almost 80 years old by now.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

You are correct it was introduced with Robin, in issue #4 of Batman He only ran around with a gun for like 2 years at most, the character is almost 80 years old by now.

He had a gun in the best storyline - odyssey

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I was pleasantly surprised when he pulls the gun in DKR. I still remember the feeling of reading that for the first time.

That ended up being a grappling hook.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

He had a gun in the best storyline - odyssey

No.

He had two guns in Odyssey.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have a copy of Odyssey that I bought about 4 years ago and I still haven't read it. I am just scared that it won't live up to the hilarious reviews from Comics Alliance.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Servoret posted:

The Phantom isn't big on killing (although he's fine with guns).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Doc Savage took his defeated villains to a private clinic he ran in upstate New York (his "Crime College") where he performed brain surgery on them to turn them into productive members of society.

With lobotomies.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Doc Savage took his defeated villains to a private clinic he ran in upstate New York (his "Crime College") where he performed brain surgery on them to turn them into productive members of society.

With lobotomies.

The "lobotomies" thing was just Denny O'Neil's interpretation. In the pulps, Doc was said to have discovered a "violence gland" in the brain that caused criminal behavior, which could be treated through surgery; remember, these stories were written back when psychosurgery was an amazing new field.

Actually, in the first two or three books, Doc casually kills criminals right and left, sometimes even with his bare hands. But a few books in, Lester Dent apparently decided that leaving a trail of bodies behind was a bad look for his scientific super-man, and Doc acquired a code against killing, preferring to incapacitate enemies with "mercy bullets" and knockout gas. The archvillains he faces still almost always end up dead, but only brought about by their own arrogance or carelessness.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Doc Savage only ever had one returning enemy, namely John Sunlight, and he came back a grand total of once after his first appearance.

I only recently learned that the "Kenneth Robeson" who wrote the Avenger novels wasn't actually Lester Dent. Street & Street, the publisher, technically owned the name and got some other writer to use it so they could put "FROM THE AUTHOR OF DOC SAVAGE" on the front of the books.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Servoret posted:

If you want to argue that he's not a pulp hero because of his moral code then to me that makes him even more definitely a superhero.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Ror posted:

Do you know the specific issue?

I have not the foggiest, it's no big deal though

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Selachian posted:

The "lobotomies" thing was just Denny O'Neil's interpretation. In the pulps, Doc was said to have discovered a "violence gland" in the brain that caused criminal behavior, which could be treated through surgery;

That is what lobotomy is.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Can anyone recommend some good newer graphic novels about, I guess, contemporary issues?

I've read Joe Sacco's Palestine and Sarajevo-books and Sarah Gliddens How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less, and I'm reading Nick Drsanos "Sabrina" right now.

This kind of mix of long, journalistic essay with some fiction is doing it for me right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pondex posted:

Can anyone recommend some good newer graphic novels about, I guess, contemporary issues?

I've read Joe Sacco's Palestine and Sarajevo-books and Sarah Gliddens How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less, and I'm reading Nick Drsanos "Sabrina" right now.

This kind of mix of long, journalistic essay with some fiction is doing it for me right now.

DMZ?