Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I am just delighted at the image of a guy going 'hang on I need to feed my bullets' and shoving salamis into his gun. Like Stands have a fair range in how much personality/autonomy they have but Mista's situation already just makes me think of a dude with six cats.

Also that dance. What the goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I expected the dance to be good

I did not expect it to be the pinnacle of all human achievement

Pack it in, wrap it up, we don't need to make any more art guys, it's all downhill from here on out

Feelin' so horny

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
This anime is about lunch

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I just noticed Abacchio is Shang and Mista is Lin from Thunderbolt Fantasy and everything got funnier

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
When's Shokotan's next live performance because you know she's going to do this.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

the original lovely fan translations must have been really lovely because I can't see how anyone could be divisive about part 5

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Futaba Anzu posted:

the original lovely fan translations must have been really lovely because I can't see how anyone could be divisive about part 5

imagine the anime, but everyone talks with some mildly different variant of text to speech and the subtitles are the driest, most to-the-point things they could possibly write for any given sentence, and part of what's being subtitled is literally just flat out incorrect

that was what the original translation for part 5 was like

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

The original fanslations just made stuff up sometimes, so yeah, they were incredibly lovely.

It's almost a shame the Dance was such a masterpiece, because Mista's horrible bullet gremlins kind of got overshadowed. I'm happy they still got their fair share of attention, though.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Futaba Anzu posted:

It was so bad that part of me honestly didnt care if part 5 ever got animated

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

God, this is just perfect. Thank you David Pro for blessing us with this. :swoon: Who knew this group of hardened Gang-stars moonlight as a boy band.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Expect My Mom posted:

It was so bad that part of me honestly didnt care if part 5 ever got animated

Yeah, to be honest the biggest thing about part 5 not getting animated for me was that it meant later parts wouldn't get animated either, and that would be a drat shame. Seeing this stuff animated has definitely helped my opinion of part 5 though since I left it fairly lukewarm, a large part probably being the translation.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the original english translation was also the only one that existed for a long while until recently, so a lot of people would read part 5 and get confused/annoyed by the boring dialogue, mostly kind of get what's going on from the actual panel art, and then move on with a mild distaste for it overall because while it was still generally the same weird jojo poo poo they'd grown used to it had pretty much no character as compared to part 4 and the worst part was that it looked vaguely professional so people couldn't immediately tell that something was up like with the duwang translation for part 4

and even later on if they learned it was hosed it still didn't change that it was the only english translation for a long time, and beyond that when the new and actually good one came out a year or so ago there's still some who don't know about it or haven't gotten around to reading it anyways before the anime started. going through the new translation made me enjoy part 5 more even though there's some aspects i still don't care for that are unrelated to translation fuckery, :siren:which i will not go into because this is the anime thread:siren:, but overall it's hard to fully understand why the english-speaking community was so whatever about part 5 for a long while without understanding how perfectly crap the only available translation had been.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I was actually looking forward to Part 5 getting animated because I wanted to see it benefit from a translation that wasn't a complete mess. Someone made a significantly better translation of the manga, though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Futaba Anzu posted:

Astoundingly lovely, yes.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Futaba Anzu posted:

You might find it hard to believe that a translation can be so lovely that it permanently destroyed any respect the English Jojo community could possibly have for Part 5, but the fact of the matter is that the lovely fan translation actually was that lovely. It can barely even be considered a translation because whenever the translators got to a part they didn't understand, they just made poo poo up. This happened a lot.

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 17, 2018

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It still blows my mind that when the manga had a map up the lovely translations decided to label one part of it as noted Italian landmark, the Autobahn.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
I loved the dance scene and hope David never stops

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

in today's exciting episode, a dude gets his eyeball melted while the gang dances around him

our heroes, everyone

(again not a complaint)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Electric Phantasm posted:

It still blows my mind that when the manga had a map up the lovely translations decided to label one part of it as noted Italian landmark, the Autobahn.

also a well known italian river: the danube

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It kills me that they even had a disclaimer on the page that they almost certainly translated the map wrong but didn’t bother to actually think about where their landmarks were coming from and where Part 5 is set.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Johnny Joestar posted:

also a well known italian river: the danube

Set in the picturesque and very iconic Italian city of Vienna.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Is mista’s first name Guido

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yes

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Guido Mista, Narancia Ghirga, Bruno Buccellati, Giorno Giovanna, Leone Abbacchio, Pannacotta Fugo.

Quite a few of them are only referred to be one name the whole time, so unless you see their eyecatch, you wouldn't know their full name anyway. For example, I don't think anyone even says Narancia's surname.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mista's favorite movies are Pretty Woman and The Bridges of Madison County, and his favorite musical artist is The Carpenters.

https://twitter.com/letropsad/status/1063621811357839366

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah mista owns

he was my fav when I read the bad translations so im excited to see if that holds up

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/henry_thurlow/status/1063502024682029056

e: in the replies, he says his next set of cuts wont appear until months down the line so it really seems like david has been working on this season for a good bit

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 17, 2018

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

How do you even begin to explain this clip to someone who hasnt watched any Jojo

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Mista picking him up by the hook through his eyelid still makes me wince no matter how many times I see it

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think they're all gangsters Gang-Stars this time because in previous parts people are like "Did Jotaro leave that guy tied up to slowly die in the sun" or "Holy poo poo Josuke just went all 'I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream' and melded someone into a rock" but in part 5 everyone's in the mob so murder or whatever is fine.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

BaDandy posted:

Set in the picturesque and very iconic Italian city of Vienna.
A Moose once bit my sister there

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
*gagged mobster muffles*
"drat, he still won't talk, this guy's a professional"

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」

The Skeep posted:

*gagged mobster muffles*
I legit couldn't remember if Mista really does think he's choosing not to speak. The Louvre is not worthy of this scene.

So pumped for this season. I'm pretty sure the end of this fight is where I stopped reading the original lovely translation so after this I'll be nail-biting along with everyone else (outside of some vague reveals I got spoiled on years ago) :allears:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
mister guido, the italian

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The dance lived up to the hype!

Mista and Sex Pistols seem really cool too!

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Expect My Mom posted:

A cool thing about Mista that you can already see early: For being an extremely silly guy, he becomes quite competent and focused in battle, not what you might expect from a possible Polnareff of the group. Near the end, he has four bullets left in the chamber but isnt letting his tetrophobia, something that has so much weight in his mind that his Stand reflects it, bother him right now

I love how as soon as he's partnered with Mista, who veers a little bit from his plan by taking a lunch break, Giorno immediately gets mad and flustered before being told no. Listen. Mista has to feed his Bullet Gremlins.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

The Skeep posted:

*gagged mobster muffles*
hey his mouth zipper wasn't closed ALL the way

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I expected the dance to be good.

I did not expect it to be that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

This season is godlike

Please someone edit in sex pistols to the Hitman 2 homing briefcases, tia