Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Two-day shipping or $9 for one-day... gently caress it I can hold out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al! posted:

when there were fires near the city here they ran out of $10 breathing masks and then people started selling them on craigslist for 50 bucks a pop

buy or die binch

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vox Nihili posted:

just don't breathe idiot

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

be home when it's delivered

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

just piss on a rag and hold it over your mouth, geez

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Feranon posted:

https://twitter.com/chrismichel/status/1063473119447240704

cool to have a major city's air be completely toxic and not adequately warn people or really do poo poo about it!!

lol

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

better just do what folk did in the dust bowl and *checks reference book* just breath the smog until you die

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Lol my chest hurts

I'm sorry :(

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Epic High Five posted:

better just do what folk did in the dust bowl and *checks reference book* just breath the smog until you die

make sure to show up to work every day while you are slowly dying of smog or you will be fired and homeless on top of dying

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Addamere posted:

make sure to show up to work every day while you are slowly dying of smog or you will be fired and homeless on top of dying

I guess the local DSA is passing out masks to the thousands of homeless people in SF, which is cool.

I mean, the masks actually barely help at all, but it's something.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

I guess the local DSA is passing out masks to the thousands of homeless people in SF, which is cool.

I mean, the masks actually barely help at all, but it's something.

technically, those masks are for containing germs from the person wearing it. they literally do not help with smoke inhalation and aren't intended to. they should be handing out gas masks

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Spergin Morlock posted:

technically, those masks are for containing germs from the person wearing it. they literally do not help with smoke inhalation and aren't intended to. they should be handing out gas masks

Well, those masks are intended for a variety of uses from disease management in hospital settings to construction work.

But yeah, they're minimally effective against smoke inhalation.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
on the one hand it is all kinds of dystopian terrifying that we need gas masks just to breathe the air

on the other hand, gas masks are cool accessories for dystopian future scifi action heroes :shrug:

maybe the truth is in the middle

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Feranon posted:

https://twitter.com/chrismichel/status/1063473119447240704

cool to have a major city's air be completely toxic and not adequately warn people or really do poo poo about it!!

White collar tech workers mildly inconvenienced by breathing fumes of rural death, classic.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
But your name would be "Jet" or "Laser" and you'd preface your nouns with space-hyphenates to a terrifying degree. Like "Addamerronius, how many times do we have to tell you to stop being such a space-racist?"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
look man, they've been forced to breathe air that is equivalent to a couple of cigarettes a day, that's probably going to give you mega cancer

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Spergin Morlock posted:

I was under the impression that the N95 masks are specifically designed to help with smoke inhalation, which is the type that they're handing out according to their twitter?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Spergin Morlock posted:

nah they actually would help. an N95 mask has to block 95% of particles 0.3um or larger, and wood smoke is made of 0.4-0.7um particles.

the catch is they need to fit extremely tightly, to the point that proper deployment of them in a workplace involves employees trying on a bunch of different sizes to find one that fits. your average person buying one won't get the right size and if they luck out and accidentally buy the right size they won't wear it tight enough. there's no way that a homeless person would wear it tightly because they'd be wearing it 24 hours and the temptation to loosen it is just too great.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

ChairMaster posted:

I was under the impression that the N95 masks are specifically designed to help with smoke inhalation, which is the type that they're handing out according to their twitter?

think its allergens and bigger particulates than smoke but wtf do i know

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
love living in smoke hell

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

apparently i was wrong about something on the internet. better go kill myself

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I used to wear n95 masks a lot when working in grain bins and they loving suck to wear when you have them on properly, it's like you can barely breathe and the string hurts and it makes you extra hot but the second you let in fresh air you'll be choking on dust so you can't do that

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

here's what the EPA has to say about masks for wildfire smoke in their guide for public health officials:

quote:

In general, wearing a mask is not an effective exposure reduction strategy during a smoke event.

In order for a mask to provide protection, it must
be able to filter very small particles (around 0.3 to 0.1 micrometer) and it must fit well, providing an airtight seal around the wearer’s mouth and nose. Commonly available paper dust masks, which are designed to filter out larger particles, such as sawdust created by sanding, typically offer little protection. The same is true for bandanas (wet or dry) and tissues held over the mouth and nose. Surgical masks that trap smaller particles are also available, but these masks are designed to filter air coming out of the wearer’s mouth, and do not provide a good seal to prevent inhalation of small particles or combustion gases. As a result, these tend to be no better than dust masks. In fact, masks may actually be detrimental, giving the wearers a false sense of security, which may encourage increased physical activity and time spent outdoors, resulting in increased exposures.

There are several additional drawbacks to recommending widespread mask use in an area affected by wildfire smoke. Most people won’t use the masks correctly and won’t understand the importance of having an airtight seal. For instance, it is impossible to get a good seal on individuals with beards or mustaches. In addition, such masks aren’t designed for use by the general public (including children). As a result, masks will provide little, if any, protection.

Masks are uncomfortable (they are more comfortable when they are leaky – but then they do not provide protection). They increase resistance to airflow. This may make breathing more difficult and lead to physiological stress, such as increased respiratory and heart rates. Masks can also contribute to heat stress. Because of this, mask use by those with cardiac and respiratory diseases can be dangerous, and should only be done under a doctor’s supervision.

Even healthy adults may find that the increased effort required for breathing makes it uncomfortable to wear a mask for more than short periods of time. Breathing resistance increases with respirator efficiency. A final problem with masks readily available to the public is that they do not filter out harmful irritant gases, such as acrolein or formaldehyde, or other toxic gases, such as carbon monoxide.

There are, however, some situations in which mask use can be beneficial. For outdoor workers, or others who will be outside regardless of the smoke, properly fitted masks can afford some protection. In cases where people are generally staying indoors, wearing a mask to go outside briefly might be useful. Masks can also be used in conjunction with other methods of exposure reduction, including staying indoors, reducing activity, and using HEPA air cleaners to reduce overall smoke exposure.

Some masks (technically called respirators, but they look more like paper masks) are good enough to filter out 95 percent of the particulate matter that is 0.3 micrometers and larger. Smoke particulate matter averages about 0.3 micrometers in diameter, so these masks can filter out a significant portion of the smoke if they are properly fit to the wearer’s face. These masks, which may include an exhalation valve, do not require cartridge filters. They are marked with one of the following: “R95”, “N95” or “P95.” These are typically sold at home improvement stores, and tend to be more expensive than ordinary dust masks. Soft masks with higher ratings (R, N or P99 and R, N, or P100) are also available and will filter out even more particles. As with masks, if a respirator does not provide a tight seal, it will not be effective (see preceding discussion).

Respirators with purple HEPA filters offer the highest protection, but may be less comfortable and slightly more expensive than the flexible masks. Individuals who wish additional protection may purchase tight-fitting respirators that require cartridge filters. Respirator cartridges can be obtained that have a combination N95 or N99 filter with organic vapor backup. This combination can help reduce exposure to some gases, such as benzene and irritant aldehydes, as well as particles. Again, unless there is an airtight seal over the wearer’s mouth and nose, such respirators will provide little protection.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shifty Pony posted:

nah they actually would help. an N95 mask has to block 95% of particles 0.3um or larger, and wood smoke is made of 0.4-0.7um particles.

the catch is they need to fit extremely tightly, to the point that proper deployment of them in a workplace involves employees trying on a bunch of different sizes to find one that fits. your average person buying one won't get the right size and if they luck out and accidentally buy the right size they won't wear it tight enough. there's no way that a homeless person would wear it tightly because they'd be wearing it 24 hours and the temptation to loosen it is just too great.

also those disposable paper ones aren't anywhere close to sufficiently tight to force enough air through the filter to make them effective against smoke

it's gotta be something with real straps, not a rubberband

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

mastershakeman posted:

I used to wear n95 masks a lot when working in grain bins and they loving suck to wear when you have them on properly, it's like you can barely breathe and the string hurts and it makes you extra hot but the second you let in fresh air you'll be choking on dust so you can't do that

Exactly. A properly fitting disposable respirator mask suuuuucks to use for more than a few minutes at a time. Muscles you didn't know you have get tired. The only respirators that aren't godawful to use are belt-worn powered ones which use a fan to get the air through the filter instead of your lungs.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

here's what the EPA has to say about masks for wildfire smoke in their guide for public health officials:

*looks around bart car sees about half the people in the car with dust masks*

:shuckyes:

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
*runs into thread*

cal stanford big game tomorrow

:gritin:

*dies from smoke inhalation*

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fiend posted:

But your name would be "Jet" or "Laser" and you'd preface your nouns with space-hyphenates to a terrifying degree. Like "Addamerronius, how many times do we have to tell you to stop being such a space-racist?"

look im sorry but the horrifying space squids are horrifying okay it is right there in their name

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm kinda under the impression that it's not particularly a huge deal anyways, and that most people who don't have pre-existing lung conditions are going to be mostly fine if they have to breathe lovely air for a few days anyways and spend most of their time indoors.

Not super surprising that a lot of panicking rich white people manage to cause a shortage of masks for the people that actually need them.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
my wife's already lost a patient to it

tho tbf she said they had like two weeks left that got shortened to a day. but still

also it's loving up little kids, however in sf you'd get more sympathy if you mentioned dogs (they outnumber children there)

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
the worried well

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChairMaster posted:

I'm kinda under the impression that it's not particularly a huge deal anyways, and that most people who don't have pre-existing lung conditions are going to be mostly fine if they have to breathe lovely air for a few days anyways and spend most of their time indoors.

You are under a mistaken impression.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Best practice is to stay inside as much as possible with a HEPA filter running at a high air changes per hour. Masks tempt you to go outside but if you must go out wearing a properly fitting one is prettier than nothing.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Well, being pretty is important...

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Food Boner posted:

*runs into thread*

cal stanford big game tomorrow

:gritin:

*dies from smoke inhalation*

It was postponed

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shifty Pony posted:

Best practice is to stay inside as much as possible with a HEPA filter running at a high air changes per hour. Masks tempt you to go outside but if you must go out wearing a properly fitting one is prettier than nothing.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Addamere posted:

on the one hand it is all kinds of dystopian terrifying that we need gas masks just to breathe the air

on the other hand, gas masks are cool accessories for dystopian future scifi action heroes :shrug:

maybe the truth is in the middle

its fuckin hard to breath through a gas mask

i'll just take a lil rest and watch some animes for a minute

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Addamere posted:

look im sorry but the horrifying space squids are horrifying okay it is right there in their name

They male? The worst is you'll have a little space ink on your jeans, it's the female space squid you gotta watch out for. They'll lay eggs in your stomach.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1063623399568744448?s=19

More missing; more dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why'd they name it Camp Fire