Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Weedle posted:

I don’t know specifically what “fuzzy warm interacting” is in Let’s Go but they added the thing where you could pet your Pokémon and feed them cupcakes and give them boutique haircuts like five years ago so I think it’s safe to say this isn’t some new development.
For one game then they dropped that idea like a sack of flaming turds. Like most of the mainline games!
Here's Cool Useful Idea #12! And we're NEVER going to use it again in another game! Suck it! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think they are more implying their niece is an idiot.

Like 3/4s of those were features from the start. No one calls red and blue to complicated for kids.

My niece isn't an idiot but she has only ever played very simple games on her tablet and is not used to having to so many mechanics, she's not even used to saving her progress! I thought she would be fine with Pokemon sun as it is very 'hand holdy'and I remembered it as being really easy, but now I'm helping her I am realising that although the story is simple, the mechanics aren't.

Red/blue was simpler. There were less Pokemon, less types, less different pokeballs, no online, no mega or Z moves, no friendship based evolution, no clothes shopping, no minigames, limited travel options, were there even berries in red/blue?? There is a lot of stuff in sun/moon that is tricky to remember. It's fair enough to say you can ignore most of it but as a curious kid she wants to understand it all but it's overwhelming as the game throws most of them at you quite early! It's also difficult to coach someone on a handheld.

I'm just trying to say I understand the need for Pokemon Lets Go, I think she would be having a better time if she had a switch!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Croccers posted:

For one game then they dropped that idea like a sack of flaming turds. Like most of the mainline games!
Here's Cool Useful Idea #12! And we're NEVER going to use it again in another game! Suck it! :v:

uh, sun/moon very much still had the pet your pokemon and feed them stuff feature

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

HiRez made it official: SMITE is coming to expand the MOBA scene on the Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2Ms-xysY2o

EDIT: Oh yeah and Paladins extends their crossplay to other platforms than just XBOX in the near future.

https://twitter.com/PaladinsGame/status/1063457022002253824

gently caress yea! Smite is really fun and good!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I officially like Poke:LG a lot. Two questions:

What am I doing wrong with my throwing at the TV? I’ll do what feels like the same thing twice and the ball will go 300mph to the right. I think I’m missing the core concept.

Did I miss where to get clothes and accessories? I’m 2 badges in and I haven’t found anything.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hey did anyone get Civ VI? Curious how it is since the reviews online are god awful.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

Hey did anyone get Civ VI? Curious how it is since the reviews online are god awful.

i mean i haven't played the switch version but i could talk about the pc version and how it's pretty lame and worse than civ v

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
...What reviews? The only official one is ign, and they say it's a great port with controls that work well once you get used to them. User reviews seem positive too apart from a few people hung up on the lack of multiplayer

Edit: and also general reviews from people like the poster above, complaining how it's worse than the last one but I thought this was a common phenomenon with each new civ

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 17, 2018

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

i mean i haven't played the switch version but i could talk about the pc version and how it's pretty lame and worse than civ v

:same:

I'm more like a casual/less-demanding player of the series who's played since III, and likes to build up Civilizations and see how they develop, but I didn't like VI very much, either. Though somehow it managed to ruin both Civ V and Civ VI for me at once, because one of the mechanics for something like culture building or something that was so good, going back to V felt like a huge backstep.

Worth a rental, not a buy. I got mine for $15, and that was about right, I guess.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Has Nintendo said anything about improving their abysmal online ecosystem? They are charging money for something with less features than even the WiiU (even the dreamcast had voice chat and that was nearly 20 years ago).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Brother Entropy posted:

uh, sun/moon very much still had the pet your pokemon and feed them stuff feature

It was even better because it healed status effects.

Also oh poo poo guys I just got home opened my new Pokeball plus and plugged it in and it played the Pokemon center jingle

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

It was even better because it healed status effects.

Also oh poo poo guys I just got home opened my new Pokeball plus and plugged it in and it played the Pokemon center jingle

I had no idea that it also comes with a Mew inside it (you can access it via Mystery Gift). It's a cute little toy and I'm glad I decided to get the thing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dpulex posted:

Has Nintendo said anything about improving their abysmal online ecosystem? They are charging money for something with less features than even the WiiU (even the dreamcast had voice chat and that was nearly 20 years ago).

There is voice chat for a lot of games now, just through the app. Fortnite has voice chat through the system itself.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dpulex posted:

Honestly not sure what you mean.

WiiU had Miiverse and it sucks Switch doesn't, but the Switch definitely has voice chat, which is extremely easy to use. And the WiiU definitely didn't have the expanding included library of classic games with online features, nor did it have the player base, or cloud saves.

It definitely lost the best feature of the WiiU online, I'll give you that, but it also has other features that didn't, and online play and voice chat are much smoother.

It's not great but certainly I'd place it above the features the WiiU had. I already feel like it has a lot more online games I actually play.

If you don't have the app do install it. The way the voice chat and lobbying works on Splatoon is bonkers in how arcane and stupid it is, but for other games you start an online game and it just automatically buzzes you and you can tap your notifications once to initiate voice chat, it's super easy.

The lobbying does altogether suck (if existent at all) though, but with randos it works great.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 17, 2018

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Dpulex posted:

lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nintendo is not going to make their online suck less poo poo so I wouldn’t worry about it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Dpulex posted:

Nope and they never will.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The only people at this point who even buy Nintendo online is fanboys and people who loves splatoon. So you are not missing much.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I bought it too but I think I'm just an idiot

Worth it for MH and Dark Souls I guess, both of which were free in previous releases (PC for dark souls)

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I feel like an old fart, I haven't played a Pokemon game since silver. The fact that Let's Go is just the original 151 intrigued me, but I was turned off when I heard motion controls. Now that it's out I'm curious again. How fun is it, and how motion-dependent are the controls?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

KingSlime posted:

I bought it too but I think I'm just an idiot

Worth it for MH and Dark Souls I guess, both of which were free in previous releases (PC for dark souls)

I forgot MH so that’s a fair point.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They are planning to have more NES, SNES and possibly newer titles on the netflix like service

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

As Nero Danced posted:

I feel like an old fart, I haven't played a Pokemon game since silver. The fact that Let's Go is just the original 151 intrigued me, but I was turned off when I heard motion controls. Now that it's out I'm curious again. How fun is it, and how motion-dependent are the controls?
no motion controls required in hand held mode, it’s the best way to play anyway

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

As Nero Danced posted:

They seem totally fine. I caught about 20 Pokemon last night and missed maybe like 4 throws. If you're just playing handheld I don't think it uses motion controls.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

bowmore posted:

Ok cool I can live with that.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Nintendo's lovely online service is a blessing, who actually wants to talk to gamers?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Nintendo has used the popularity of the switch to achieve two of its long term goals:

1. Make everybody stop asking for online multiplayer
2. Kill rentals and secondary market sales

The first it achieved by making online so bad nobody wants it anymore, the second it achieved by convincing everybody to put the cartridges in their mouths.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Nintendo online chat reminded me that I need to cancel Hulu and HBO Now because I haven't used them in months, ugh the subscription model is too effective

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nep-Nep posted:

This is a goldmine:

I'd be legit shocked if this isn't a dumb copy paste with gamefreak in place of whatever the original was about.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

People were talking about Tim Rogers a couple pages ago. I just wanted to link to my favorite Tim Rogers piece from a billion years ago (2002). It's about Animal Crossing. Enjoy. http://archives.insertcredit.com/features/animal/day1.html

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd be legit shocked if this isn't a dumb copy paste with gamefreak in place of whatever the original was about.

it is, someone earlier said it was originally about LoL

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I took a break from XBC2TtGC for awhile so I could beat Fortnite, but I'm getting back into it and OMG Gramps just showed up!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Elderbean posted:

Nintendo's lovely online service is a blessing, who actually wants to talk to gamers?

I mute anyone who so much as breathes into their mic in Fortnite

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Not gonna lie... the Green and Yellow Joycons really are awesome for the switch :swoon:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

bowmore posted:

I've been exclusively playing with the pokeball controller and I think that's the way I'll keep on but if I didn't have that I'd probably agree and stick to handheld.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nep-Nep posted:

I've been exclusively playing with the pokeball controller and I think that's the way I'll keep on but if I didn't have that I'd probably agree and stick to handheld.
I haven't tried the pokeball controller yet but I am keen to do so

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Gripweed posted:

I took a break from XBC2TtGC for awhile so I could beat Fortnite, but I'm getting back into it and OMG Gramps just showed up!

It really threw me off that nobody actually called him that in TtGC

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

THE loving MOON posted:

It really threw me off that nobody actually called him that in TtGC

It's a prequel, he's a lot younger.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Gripweed posted:

It's a prequel, he's a lot younger.

Oh I know, but I still had a moment where I was like "who??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I honestly don't know what's going on during combat in Xenoblade but I like seeing the numbers everywhere. Like half of the time I can't even see my guy but I like it anyway.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 17, 2018