Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i am keeping my GP low, not even activating characters i am not using or promoting ones i am not using, focusing solely on phoenix. so far its let me break top 200 in arena and id finished GW every single day. until now.

im level 42

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

i am keeping my GP low, not even activating characters i am not using or promoting ones i am not using, focusing solely on phoenix. so far its let me break top 200 in arena and id finished GW every single day. until now.

im level 42

putting all of your chickens into 1 basket can result in some bad GW boards.

This is pretty egregious though.

Expired Vitamin
Jul 3, 2017

rabidsquid posted:

im level 42

That is brutal. If you can use a B team to focus down Kanaan (to stop counters) you may have a shot. But with that level differential you may just want to cut your losses for the day.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I haven't finished GW in 2 months, on some boards I can't even get past the first 6 battles or so - I run into really high geared teams that easily beat me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

1st AD posted:

I haven't finished GW in 2 months, on some boards I can't even get past the first 6 battles or so - I run into really high geared teams that easily beat me.

I keep getting hosed by nigh unbeatable teams in the final nodes.

So what KOTOR characters don't we have? I mean of the ones people care about, so like Malak and? I guess we can get a Darth Revan at some point too?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 16, 2018

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
a trick I used before I could sim GW was once you get a decent second/third team for it use all your decent teams at least once on early nodes, so they all have turn meter loaded up without much damage, and if its easy enough, dont even use cooldowns.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

So what KOTOR characters don't we have? I mean of the ones people care about, so like Malak and? I guess we can get a Darth Revan at some point too?

HK-47 still needs an Old Republic tag, Darth Revan is likely; beyond that, there's still Carth Onasi and Juhani for 1 PCs, Darth Malak and Calo Nord are the most prominent 1 antagonists (possibly Darth Bandon and Chuundar as well, but eh, characters people care about?).
If they go in further on 2, there's Atton Rand, Bao-Dur, Mical, Mira, Hanharr, Brianna, G0-T0, and Meetra Surik.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I have only ever failed a single GW. The one i failed was before i knew that you could quit a battle you would lose and have all your dudes back to what they were before.
Sure, i started playing them before they changed how they work and added sims but surely they didn't change that much?

There are 3 fundamental mechanics to GW:
Your heroes keep their protection and health from fight to fight
You can restart a fight and all your heroes are back to the prot/health they had before attempting that fight
The RNG is the same in every fight if all the settings are the same (aka try to hit a different enemy or use a different skill to get different results and hope for crits. Keep restarting until you get a good row of crits)

The key to success, for me, was basically:
Use heroes with heals or leeching or heroes that would increase max protection
Quit the fight if you ever lost a hero
Keep attempting the fights and use skills in a different order and/or on different targets to get a different RNG

I would only use a single team for every GW (With the exception of doing the first battle with a zFinn team to build up their TM but frankly this was a waste of time as i never ever needed them later on)

5* Darth Nihilus (leader) - G9 (converting protection into 150% more health, this had the added benefit of "resetting" their prot/health between fights but most importantly giving a TON of leech to the sith dudes)
7* Palpie (before his rework) - G10 (incredibly good for GW)
6* Count Dooku - G9 (counterattacks with stuns and getting his lost health back)
7* Chirrut - G9 (heals and clense)
4* Baze - G9 (autotanker, dispeller)

Mods were a speed arrow on each dude and some 1 or 2 dot mods. This was before the new mod store so my mods were complete crap at this time.
This team saw me through enemy lineups as high as in the 100k GP range (with a ~50k GP team). The toughest lineup i faced was a fully G12 zetaed darkside/sith team with zMaul leader (zMaul, Zavage, Dooku, Vader, Palpie iirc)

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 16, 2018

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Atton could be cool. IIRC he had an ability that made him come back to life when downed as long as he wasn't the last party member. Could be a cool take on NS Zombie if she were an attacker or something.

And yes, as Ineptitude points out, the key to GW is treating it like a puzzle and abusing the retreat mechanic. First three nodes should be use to spool up the TM of a couple dudes and then you keep trying stuff later. It won't necessarily help you if you get a horrible mismatch, but it's a good foundation.

Crumbletron fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 16, 2018

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

1st AD posted:

the method i am using to depress my GP by not activating poo poo i dont need until i need it SHOULD avoid this. mine would have been insane as a final node but unless i am not remembering correctly there are still two nodes on my board not even unlocked. even if they were geared lovely a 33 level advantage is a bit much.

its pretty dumb that i am specifically gaming the system and stuff like this can still happen

Ineptitude posted:

I have only ever failed a single GW. The one i failed was before i knew that you could quit a battle you would lose and have all your dudes back to what they were before.
Sure, i started playing them before they changed how they work and added sims but surely they didn't change that much?

i dont think anyone could avoid failing the GW i got, i mean if the RNG decides to toss a team 30+ levels higher than me with full 7* when i am level 42 i just cant do anything

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 16, 2018

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I don't know what GW is like these days because I qualified for simming when the option launched but depending on when you played and your level there were definitely periods where beating GW was extremely difficult. Like 11 and 12 nodes were full g12 arena teams with mods or some whacky poo poo and usually your A team would take a beating getting past 6 and 9. I built a zFinn team specifically for GW because that was one of the few (possibly only) guarantee-win teams.

Then they rebalanced to 85 g11 no mods or something and it became an auto cakewalk with Wiggs, and then sim was allowed and I never looked back.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like bastila led jedi should crush gw, right?

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

fishtobaskets posted:

I feel like bastila led jedi should crush gw, right?

Not always true when your beginning Jedi team is Old Ben, Bastilla, Jolee/QJ and the Phoenix boys. The corner is turned once you get Grandpa Yoda.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Bunk Rogers posted:

Not always true when your beginning Jedi team is Old Ben, Bastilla, Jolee/QJ and the Phoenix boys. The corner is turned once you get Grandpa Yoda.

Mine is almost to 6* but already the zBast team is crazy good.

Trying to remember to buy his shards every time we win a TW.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Other than unlocking bastila, ezra/kanan/lumi/qgj are available immediately

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

mdemone posted:

Mine is almost to 6* but already the zBast team is crazy good.

Trying to remember to buy his shards every time we win a TW.

I meant Grand Master Yoda who comes a lot quicker, is easy to gear up and makes Ezra’s damage output look tiny.

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

For GW you want to use the first few nodes to preload TM on your frontline teams, then abuse the retreat option as previously mentioned. 3, 6, 9, 11, 12 are going to be the bastard nodes. Avoid using specials if possible to have them immediately available for the hard fights. Teams that replenish protection or trigger infinite TM loops are generally ringers. There are definite plateaus in difficulty but if you're playing arena and TW then you should get over them eventually. Then you can sim GW and never look back.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Crumbletron posted:

Atton could be cool. IIRC he had an ability that made him come back to life when downed as long as he wasn't the last party member. Could be a cool take on NS Zombie if she were an attacker or something.

His defense also scaled up the lower on health he got.

I think the Lost Jedi from KotOR2 (Atton, Mira, Bao-Dur, Handmaiden and Disciple) would be a good fit for a bounty contract-like mechanic that unlocks their Jedi ability, that could be cool.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
What's a good Phoenix setup to 7* the Thrawn event? I have everyone but Sabine 7*, G7 (G8 on Ezra and Hera).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

1st AD posted:

What's a good Phoenix setup to 7* the Thrawn event? I have everyone but Sabine 7*, G7 (G8 on Ezra and Hera).

For the Thrawn event, skip Sabine. Everyone should be at G8, and probably Ezra at G9. That’s how I did it.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Gearing Hera up helps to as she keeps the team together but is pretty weak.

Burning_Monk fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 20, 2018

Expired Vitamin
Jul 3, 2017

1st AD posted:

Make sure to prioritize omegas on everyone's unique ability as well.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

1st AD posted:

The more gear the better, honestly, but it's doable with G8's/9's, good mods, and the willingness to try and fail for an hour or two.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Chilichimp posted:

The more gear the better, honestly, but it's doable with G8's/9's, good mods, and the willingness to try and fail for an hour or two.

Or 8 hours.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Munkaboo posted:

Or 8 hours.

Yeah, all g8 is doable but be prepared to try a lot. The thrawn event is the worst event in terms of RNG, I don't think there's anyone who did that event without at least a a dozen attempts. I was around 50, and I'm sure I remember one poor goon being 100+.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

rocket_Magnet posted:

Yeah, all g8 is doable but be prepared to try a lot. The thrawn event is the worst event in terms of RNG, I don't think there's anyone who did that event without at least a a dozen attempts. I was around 50, and I'm sure I remember one poor goon being 100+.

Paging RC Cola to the thread

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So this is my collection

https://swgoh.gg/p/958318655/characters/

Who should I be leveling to put in a Jedi group with Bastila now that I have her both zeta'd and at 7*.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

twistedmentat posted:

So this is my collection

Who should I be leveling to put in a Jedi group with Bastila now that I have her both zeta'd and at 7*.

GMY is the most important part of that team, so definitely him. It's also hard to go wrong with GK.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

twistedmentat posted:

So this is my collection

After GMY, you want one of the Kenobis, Ezra, and then one of Hermit Yoda or Jolee. HY is a GET farm so Jolee may be easier now. Jolee's also better with Revan so that's something to consider.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Jolee's zeta is sick with any jedi squad, plus he is insanely tanky so he makes a good faux-tank

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay, GMY and GK were both on the list, but I didn't think about Jolee. Guess I'll switch from farming Lando in the ships and switch to him.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, GMY and GK were both on the list, but I didn't think about Jolee. Guess I'll switch from farming Lando in the ships and switch to him.

Realtalk: Jolee needs a zeta and a lot of gear to be effective and is much better under Revan than Bastila. Absolutely work on him, but if you aren’t in a rush, focus on his dark side hard node instead of his fleet node, because it drops Carbantis. I would refresh the dark side node before I farm Jolee in fleet.

In the meantime if you just unlock Hermit Yoda at 5* and get him to g8 or so and give him mods, he will do work with that Bastila squad.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

GW has been fine since my last post about the 20+ level higher team. today i hit a level 78 bastilla team on my third node, bastilla herself having roughly 1/3rd the GP of all of my characters combined.

:I

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I use zBast, zGMY, zEzra, zHMY and GK.

With GK i can easily keep top 200 overnight and occasionally top 100.
With OB i kept dropping to 500, so definitely worth to use GK on my shard at least.
I used both GK and OB before i unlocked HMY but a 5* G10 zHMY was much better than using 2 tanks.

I have not used Jolee.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CaptainPsyko posted:

Realtalk: Jolee needs a zeta and a lot of gear to be effective and is much better under Revan than Bastila. Absolutely work on him, but if you aren’t in a rush, focus on his dark side hard node instead of his fleet node, because it drops Carbantis. I would refresh the dark side node before I farm Jolee in fleet.

In the meantime if you just unlock Hermit Yoda at 5* and get him to g8 or so and give him mods, he will do work with that Bastila squad.

Ah, well, I decided to keep focusing on Bossk and Young Lando for now anyways. Revan is sooooooo far down the line he might as well not be in the game. I have no idea when I'll get Mission and Zalbaar geared up enough to take on his mission.

Its really too bad most of the Jedi in the game aren't good. You'd think Mace Windu would be a tanky motherfucker.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

twistedmentat posted:

Its really too bad most of the Jedi in the game aren't good. You'd think Mace Windu would be a tanky motherfucker.

He is! :D ...in TW :(

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

twistedmentat posted:

Mace Windu represents the complacency of the Jedi, who were so certain of their primacy in the galaxy they were blind to their weaknesses.

Video games are art.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Defiance Industries posted:

Mace Windu represents the complacency of the Jedi, who were so certain of their primacy in the galaxy they were blind to their weaknesses.

Video games are art.

Luke Did Nothing Wrong.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
I've finally 7*d Death Troop. What's my squad? Veers, Starck, Death, Shore, and...? No Ranged. Thrawn? Magma? What zetas?

Also gearing names Sith. Have Palp, Vader Sion, and Nihilus. Who is my fifth? I've got Dooku, Sidius, Maul, Oppress. What zetas?

Can't farm anyone new because my farming rotation is full for Revan and Chewie squads. :/

These questions are mostly for best squads that don't use the same characters, so I can throw up more power teams in Territory stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

You want Snow for troopers. He shits out damage under Veers and doesn’t have a zeta.

For Sith you’re best off running Thrawn or maybe Fallen Bastilla if you have her. The other named sith not named Traya aren’t really worth it over Thrawn. Sithtrooper is a good tank you might want as well.

SgtMongoose fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 23, 2018