Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

I, too, want another Turok game.

Turok, Templar Hunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Jesus christ. Aliens, sun exploding, making a new body? Sounds loving awful. Are the previous games worth playing if I ignore/skip all that poo poo? I just like killing dudes, sneaking around and doing vaguely political scheming in a historical setting.

Also Oddysey is gorgeous and it's the first time I've actually got a computer capable of rendering all that beauty.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Taeke posted:

Jesus christ. Aliens, sun exploding, making a new body? Sounds loving awful. Are the previous games worth playing if I ignore/skip all that poo poo? I just like killing dudes, sneaking around and doing vaguely political scheming in a historical setting.

Also Oddysey is gorgeous and it's the first time I've actually got a computer capable of rendering all that beauty.

The metaplot is entirely vestigial at this point. And amounts to maybe 15 minutes of playtime across an 80 hour game

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Taeke posted:

Absolutely nobody cared about the metaplot, and at some point neither did Ubisoft but they haven't figured out a way of permanently kill it so they just reduced it as much as they can.

Origins was a good restart and it seems Odyssey improved the formula even more but the games have drastically decreased the little stealth they had in the first place.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Generally, the farther you progress into the series, the more easily ignorable the modern plot is. In the first AC, it was entirely mandatory and broke in after almost every assassination. AC4 had the worst modern section, but you could generally jump back into the real game pretty quickly. I can't remember modern game play in Syndicate; I think it was just a handful of cutscenes.

None of it really factors into the meat of the games, though, outside of using the animus system to explain having a HUD, the occasional bit of weird tech, and providing a set of McGuffins for the setting. The meta plot is a distant second to stabbing people in the past.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Samuringa posted:

Does the laptop have Codex entries? Because poo poo, I really needed those, I know jack poo poo of ancient history.

Nfi, i looked at it for long enough to realise it was a clever solution to a minor game design puzzle, smiled, then closed it forever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

At some point Ubisoft realized that actually resolving the Templar vs. Assassin subplot would mean that they'd have to stop making Assassin's Creed games, and instead just opted to slow the modern-day sections down to a virtual standstill. But there are a very vocal contingent of AC fans on reddit and elsewhere who can't get enough of the modern-day poo poo and already think Odyssey is a slap in the face, so Ubi is in this uncomfortable situation where they have to try keeping everybody happy. The upcoming DLC episodes seem a lot more focused on bringing in the metaplot elements than the main game, which is basically a historical Bioware RPG.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

kazil posted:

Assassin's Creed Primal confirmed

The inventor guy in the Farcry Primal was testing out the "eagle dive" and the event even had that eagle scream sound effect. Confirmed.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Its extremely weird to me that Ubi felt a secret war raging throughout all of human history with just a dash of ancient aliens wasn't enough of a plot to carry their series. poo poo, even take the Pieces of Eden out, the Templar/Assassin conflict throughout the ages is fine.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I mean, it wouldn't have even been that hard to write a game where one side or the other actually strikes a definitive blow and wins, set somewhere in the middle of the timeline. Then you can make ANOTHER game that explains how the losing side ended up coming back in full force through some sort of clever plot.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise

I don't like the buggy. its a neat thing being able to drive into the desert and gently caress poo poo up, but the buggy controls like liquefied rear end and right after the whole Jagi saga I still can't make most of these improved parts for the buggy that I could make, not because I don't have materials, but because the game simply says "You can't make this yet." It's really bugging me because I don't want to do races using a car that spins out of control if you try turning, and on that same note I don't want to use a buggy that's gonna annoy the poo poo out of me for like 80% of the game because I, for some reason, can't make the good parts for it that i got early on thanks to being a great bartender or helping people around Eden.

On a positive note, [spoiler]Jagi doesn't overstay his welcome, he comes in and fucks around with kenshiro for like an hour before you even see him, and when you do, he eats up the scenery, then you shoot him with your fists[spoiler] If only he were voiced by Mark Hamill in this game...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The riddles in AC:Unity are really cool. They require you to pay attention to your surroundings and read the codex articles to learn little bits of history, and the interface doesn't hold your hand to point you to the answer.

What is dumb is that when you find a clue you get two notifications: one that is the actual clue, and one that is a notification that the clue has been added to your database. And the latter notification is placed smack bang on top of the clue, so you can't actually read it straight away.

Kit Walker posted:

I mean, it wouldn't have even been that hard to write a game where one side or the other actually strikes a definitive blow and wins, set somewhere in the middle of the timeline. Then you can make ANOTHER game that explains how the losing side ended up coming back in full force through some sort of clever plot.

AC3 and Rogue basically do that, at least for North America.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Kit Walker posted:

Something where each game alternates which side you are playing on, maybe? Your actions cause one side to come out on top, then the next game you play as someone on the other side, until they finally stop making games.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The riddles in AC:Unity are really cool. They require you to pay attention to your surroundings and read the codex articles to learn little bits of history, and the interface doesn't hold your hand to point you to the answer.

What is dumb is that when you find a clue you get two notifications: one that is the actual clue, and one that is a notification that the clue has been added to your database. And the latter notification is placed smack bang on top of the clue, so you can't actually read it straight away.

AC3 and Rogue basically do that, at least for North America.

Schubalts posted:

Something where each game alternates which side you are playing on, maybe? Your actions cause one side to come out on top, then the next game you play as someone on the other side, until they finally stop making games.

AC3, Black Flag and Rogue were this, but this was the release order and the chronological order is Black Flag, Rogue, and AC3 - which is by far the worst Asscreed - so you can see how they probably thought of something cool and then completely failed its execution.

Ubi gotta stay simple.

Samuringa has a new favorite as of 01:11 on Nov 17, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Samuringa posted:

AC3 - which is by far the worst Asscreed

Unity was way worse. 3 at least introduced ship combat and I liked the locales and frontier, Unity was just an utter waste of everything it could've had.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Shadow of Mordor:

I loving hate Troy Baker. He's very talented and all but every role he takes just reminds me it's Troy Baker, who is the least imaginative casting-choice.

I may have skipped every other cutscene but the pacing feels off. You spend 10 hours in one sandbox where you kill every Warchief to progress, then you go to another sandbox for 10 hours and brainwash and promote orcs into Warchiefs. Then in the space of 30 minutes you kill off two major villains in two new areas and then the game ends. Most of the main-plot feels like a tutorial which ends before it attains any momentum.

Hirgon is a piece of poo poo for making me do his tedious-rear end missions. Ratbag's story of him climbing the ranks was amusing but he is absent in the second half.

The last vestige of difficulty dies when you get the x5-combo-special-multiplier and the ability to stun enemies by vaulting over them.

I don't know why they added the whole Diablo-loot thing, it felt pointless. A more rewarding system would have been something like the Enchantment skill from Skyrim.

Any mission with insta-fail stealth on a timer is complete poo poo.

I do admire the restraint with the open-world fluff: 74 side-missions and only 74 collectibles. I got 100% in 21 hours. A Ubisoft designer would have been liberal with the CTRL-C and CTRL-V commands.

My one gripe with the Nemesis-system is that plot-wise there are only two bottlenecks where you have to engage with the system: killing the warchiefs in the first zone and recruiting the warchiefs in the second zone. You can do all the side-missions and collectible completely independent of the system. I think only 20% of the playtime had anything to do with Orc politics.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

shadow of mordor definitely has weird pacing but luckily i wouldn't have cared about the story no matter what so no big loss

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Troy Baker's casting in the new God of War was a pretty inspired choice since I had no idea it was him until I looked it up later.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Also, Cleopatra didn't speak Egyptian, she spoke Greek.

:eng101: Cleopatra spoke 10 languages, and was the first Ptolemaic Pharaoh to learn Egyptian.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Troy Baker's casting in the new God of War was a pretty inspired choice since I had no idea it was him until I looked it up later.

Troy Baker sock puppet spotted.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sims 4 is a really easy game, its a real wish fulfillment simulator for that. What annoys me is that in Get Together there are club doors that only members of a club can enter, then in Get Famous there are bouncer restricted doorways that require you to be so famous to get inside.

Within the confines of the game though, you can just click on the club doors and just unlock them. And for the bouncer doors, you can just lower the settings to the lowest setting. This isn't using cheats, this is a simple option as changing the radio station. Heaven forbid I would have to actually join a club (provided, those aren't hard as the default clubs are open enrollment) or work on my fame to get access to certain places.

... Not that there is actually anything worthwhile IN those spots regardless.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

exquisite tea posted:

It's like Steve Blum. When they let him use his range, it's great, but nearly every game just wants The One Voice, so that's all we get.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

OutOfPrint posted:

If and when we get an antediluvian AC that takes place in Isu times we better get rideable dinosaurs. I want to assassinate an ancient alien with as a loving triceratops, Ubisoft!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Samuringa posted:

Absolutely nobody cared about the metaplot, and at some point neither did Ubisoft but they haven't figured out a way of permanently kill it so they just reduced it as much as they can.

Origins was a good restart and it seems Odyssey improved the formula even more but the games have drastically decreased the little stealth they had in the first place.

It's me, I'm the one who cared about the metaplot. Thought that reveal at the end of AC2 was badass. Then it got...not so good. Perfectly fine with it going away at this point though, it's clear that Ubisoft have no idea how to handle it anyway so it's best to just sort of fade away.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Destiny 2

the entire first chapter or two, depending on how you count it, is about losing and then regaining the ability to respawn.

And yet a continuing and constant mechanic of the game after this point is no-respawn zones

like who or what is preventing me from respawning on Titan as soon as i get there, exactly? just because this is the only point in the game that the Hive are intimidating doesn't mean i give any shits at all on my fourth run

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Shadow of Mordor:

I loving hate Troy Baker.
He was Pagan Min AND The Joker in the best Arkham game. You go gently caress yourself.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Pathfinder Kingmaker is a pretty enjoyable CRPG. Loads of character options and different ways to progress, lots of opportunities for roleplay and decision making along with some pretty nice combat.

The game is very buggy, even after release. There are some missions where you literally need to cheat or the game won't realise you've beaten them. That's bad, but I'm forgiving of glitches and bugs if I can find a way around them.

However, the game's absolutely loving absurd difficulty spike in the very last mission is maybe the most insane example I've ever experienced in a game. There are random mobs of about 10 enemies each of which has a 25% chance of paralysing of one your party members for an entire minute (which is more than enough time for a TPK). They fade in out of absolutely nowhere, have equal HP to your party (of about six) and resist half the types of damage in the game. Considering they literally fade in out of nowhere, you don't even get a good chance to set up an ambush. This is a game of numbers - it's not like you can Dark Souls it at level 1 wit clever thinking and planning. Imagine playing the game on it's "One Save Slot" difficulty, turning down a hallway and having 60+ hours erased in 20 seconds.

Here's the craziest thing; the game has a custom difficulty mode where you can tweak loads of settings. When I set it so the party only receives 0.2 times the damage they normally would, set the enemy AI to "easiest" and scale the damage the enemies do down... they can still kill the entire party in 30 seconds. As far as I know, I'm even over-levelled for this part of the game.

Oh, and immediately before this mission, the companions you've had throughout the game will either die, kill themselves, betray you or kill each other. Even if you do all their missions, treat them fairly and do everything right, some of them will still end up leaving or dying before this mission. This meant, for me, being stuck with a party half of which are characters I barely used.

Calico Heart has a new favorite as of 15:32 on Nov 17, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Just Cause 3

Why on earth is the northern island so big when it has a third of the game's content? It feels a map-designer just sneezed and accidently made the landmass a 100% too big.

The real flaw is the Mod system. You can unlock Mods for your equipment by earning points in challenges, and you can get up to 5 points if you get the best score. The problem is that these challenges are insanely hard, while the rest of the game is an easy power-fantasy. So what we have is one system that could make your playthrough easier and more fun, which is gated by another system that is no fun at all and incredibly difficult if not impossible. Thankfully PC gamers can skip this process, but that does means a good chunk of the intended game is outright broken.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

FFT posted:

Destiny 2

the entire first chapter or two, depending on how you count it, is about losing and then regaining the ability to respawn.

And yet a continuing and constant mechanic of the game after this point is no-respawn zones

like who or what is preventing me from respawning on Titan as soon as i get there, exactly? just because this is the only point in the game that the Hive are intimidating doesn't mean i give any shits at all on my fourth run

It also fucks a bit with the game's overall setting and backstory. The one reason why Earth hasn't been curbstomped yet is because of the Guardians, and the only reason they are so effective is because they are essentially immortal murderzombies. I think it was even explicitly mentioned somewhere that this is the one thing that the Vex in particular just can't deal with at all, because they're all about causality and people not dying when you kill them goes completely against that. And losing this power is made out to be a massive blow to Earth during the prologue, to the point where it's basically a doomsday scenario unless the protagonist manages to re-establish the immortality.

And then you actually play it, and it turns out that somehow every enemy faction can just set up no-respawn zones at just about every corner. And in some of the missions they also pretty casually find other ways to perma-kill Guardians, too. At that point you kinda start to wonder why exactly Earth isn't just getting steamrolled again.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Just Cause 3

Why on earth is the northern island so big when it has a third of the game's content? It feels a map-designer just sneezed and accidently made the landmass a 100% too big.

The real flaw is the Mod system. You can unlock Mods for your equipment by earning points in challenges, and you can get up to 5 points if you get the best score. The problem is that these challenges are insanely hard, while the rest of the game is an easy power-fantasy. So what we have is one system that could make your playthrough easier and more fun, which is gated by another system that is no fun at all and incredibly difficult if not impossible. Thankfully PC gamers can skip this process, but that does means a good chunk of the intended game is outright broken.

Yeah I got to the third island, spent some time terrorizing the two or three big cities and bases and uninstalled because I was terminally bored

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Perestroika posted:

It also fucks a bit with the game's overall setting and backstory. The one reason why Earth hasn't been curbstomped yet is because of the Guardians, and the only reason they are so effective is because they are essentially immortal murderzombies. I think it was even explicitly mentioned somewhere that this is the one thing that the Vex in particular just can't deal with at all, because they're all about causality and people not dying when you kill them goes completely against that. And losing this power is made out to be a massive blow to Earth during the prologue, to the point where it's basically a doomsday scenario unless the protagonist manages to re-establish the immortality.

And then you actually play it, and it turns out that somehow every enemy faction can just set up no-respawn zones at just about every corner. And in some of the missions they also pretty casually find other ways to perma-kill Guardians, too. At that point you kinda start to wonder why exactly Earth isn't just getting steamrolled again.

It's a video game conceit.

But there's some new lore stuff that kind of hand waves it- when the ghost resurrects a guardian, they gather information from alternate realities where the player character is safe as a blueprint. In the no-respawn zones, all versions of the character are unsafe so there's no blueprint.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
FOTNS Lost Paradise (Last time, fo' sho')

entire game spoilers
the entire endgame was so loving stupid that it made me sit back and think about the game as a whole. After fighting Xsana's dad, he gets held hostage and it turns out that the jobber from like chapter 3 who's done two things in the game (get his rear end kicked by Kenshiro, then serve as a distraction so the main villain can sneak into Eden). It also turns out that two of Xsana's most loyal friends were actually traitors, and why? Well, remember the one time Jagre mentioned that his dad was dead/murdered way back in chapter 2? It turns out that Jagre's dad, Xsana's best friend's dad, and the Jobber's dad were all murdered by Xsana's father, so they had been planning this "Climb the ranks in Eden so that one day you might get back at Xsana's dad by killing his daughter" thing they had going for years, and then jagre doesn't wanna kill xsana because he loves her, and then xsana's best friend gets shot, and then kiryu runs after Jobber, who it turns out is the real villain I guess. Why is he such a bitch in particular? Because he wants to be a god and also wants to gently caress yuria so he has a child to talk about how cool he is with after nuking the planet. yeah, ok, just do the "you're already dead" thing so the game can end.

The only indication towards Jagre being a double agent of some kind is in the end of a substory line where he ends up killing the guy who you think he thought killed his dad, to which he says "I know you didn't kill my dad", the Jobber reveal is like a much more pathetic attempt at imitating Yakuza 2's ending with Terada, and there was literally no reason for Xsana's bestie to be a traitor other than "well gently caress we need two people to hold Xsana and her dad hostage"

And then i thought about how only five chapters had any bearing on the game. The chapters that meant anything was Kenshiro coming across Eden, Kenshiro winning his freedom to roam about Eden, the bad guy army invades the front gates of Eden, Kenshiro coming across Nadai and also learning that Yuria is in Sphere city, and lastly, the final chapter. The rest is filler. Souther just shows up and takes the town over for all of ten minutes. Rei just shows up and does nothing until jagi just shows up, then Rei leaves in a substory in which Mamiya just shows up and says "Come with me, I have a city you should protect" You go and rescue Toki even though he was never in any real danger, and he just stays at the prison once you clear it out. They didn't do anything, they all just show up and Poochie their way out of existance

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Sunswipe posted:

He was Pagan Min AND The Joker in the best Arkham game. You go gently caress yourself.

Your...your favorite arkham game is the one with the the loving batmobile?

You alright? Everything ok at home?

Best part of that game is when your batmobile explodes into a million pieces and you thought you were free, except 5 seconds later another batmobile shows up.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Troy Baker was the Joker in Origin, the game where pressing the counter-button only works half the game. He also played Two-Face, Tim Drake, and Jason Todd/Arkham Knight in the same series.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Olaf The Stout posted:

Best part of that game is when your batmobile explodes into a million pieces and you thought you were free, except 5 seconds later another batmobile shows up.

They mean Origins, silly billy. Mark Hamill was back to being the Joker in Arkham Knight.

Origins may not have been the best game, but it had the best story, with characters actually having arcs. Asylum was just an excuse to set up all the villains in one place, City was a disjointed mess, and Knight was a bit better.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Olaf The Stout posted:

Knight is my favorite Arkham by a wide margin but even then none of them have really stood the test of time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Samuringa posted:

Knight is my favorite Arkham by a wide margin but even then none of them have really stood the test of time.
Knight has some very -- THE CAR! -- smooth combat, which I -- I NEED THE CAR -- appreciated, however, I felt th-- GET THE CAR --at the emphasis on the -- BATMOBILE! - Batmobile detracted from the game.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

Origins may not have been the best game, but it had the best story, with characters actually having arcs. Asylum was just an excuse to set up all the villains in one place, City was a disjointed mess, and Knight was a bit better.

When I heard that Origins was all about the Joker again I just lost all interest. Still haven't played it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

When I heard that Origins was all about the Joker again I just lost all interest. Still haven't played it.

If you're in the mindset that the Arkham series is about "Batman vs Joker", Origins slots in perfectly and there's a pretty solid arc running through all four games.

If you're not, it's a nice hard kick in the nuts when two games in a row drop their inventive plots to wank about how cool Joker is.

I've warmed up to it a lot after I went back and replayed it after I got done with Knight, but man. I can't remember another game that kneecapped my enjoyment of it as hard and as fast as when Origins did the dramatic Joker reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Origins is about the period in Batman's career where the freaks replaced the gangsters and the Joker bit takes that hilariously literally.