Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
I had a couple friends on vkontakte (Russian facebook, basically) message me today asking if I heard about this and what western gamers thought about it. So I guess its gotten some visibility. My impression from them was it was a social media shitstorm, kind of like here, but they hadn't mentioned the kommersant article or anything, so maybe its gotten more visibility than that.

But yeah, there's definitely a fandom over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Kurieg posted:

So yeah, remember how Mark was saying that the whole Chechnya thing was written by a Vampire, who are inherently evil, and thus cannot be taken at face value?

Man who can't take criticism and repeatedly misrepresents the truth does just that again, whodathunk it.

quote:

Also: The Chechnyan government is apparently pointing at the fact that their homosexual purges have been written about in a game as proof that it's actually fiction and not really happening, so MR*H has failed in his stated goal of drawing attention to a real atrocity by giving them plausible deniability in his poorly thought out writing.

He really is a loving idiot hack writer, though I certainly don't want to see him get extradited to Chechnya. Just never working in the industry again would be good enough.

PST fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 17, 2018

Ligament
Jun 12, 2018
Biscuit Hider

kevin_from_the_office_chili.gif

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Proposal: Revive the spirit of the old Vampire by providing a setting that feels close to the modern world.

Reality: Accidentally cause an international incident, threaten distributors with prison time, and provide cover for the actual murders of a vulnerable group because Swedish Dracula thinks it’s still 1995.

Dec 26, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Here I can find the exact quote for you.

Zounds, sir, you’re owned!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Don't worry, guys. Those poor distributors that get pulled into interrogations by the Chechen police will be comforted by the fact that any brutality/death they experience is another paving stone on the road to defeating fascism.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Seriously though, I really hope everyone is okay

:ohdear:

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Don't worry, guys. Those poor distributors that get pulled into interrogations by the Chechen police will be comforted by the fact that any brutality/death they experience is another paving stone on the road to defeating fascism.

rly brah

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

He's making fun of a MR*H post where he said something to the effect of "the only way we can beat facists is if people have the courage to turn the other cheek and die rather than punching back"

At least I hope he is.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's sort of, but not really, funny if Rein-Hagen gets murdered by the same fascists he encouraged people to passively make themselves victims to. It's not funny at all if random people in the publishing chain get murdered or victimized.

That said, I still have literally zero reliable sources telling me that this kind of thing is likely.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kurieg posted:

He's making fun of a MR*H post where he said something to the effect of "the only way we can beat facists is if people have the courage to turn the other cheek and die rather than punching back"

At least I hope he is.

She, and yes I'm making fun of that. Anyone with an awareness of that writing in the book has now indirectly put people in serious danger of abuse and death. All for some nice 90s throwback edgery. Or worse, to "raise awareness".

E- and no, I don't want MRH or anyone else to get murdered over an RPG supplement.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 17, 2018

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Rand Brittain posted:

It's sort of, but not really, funny if Rein-Hagen gets murdered by the same fascists he encouraged people to passively make themselves victims to. It's not funny at all if random people in the publishing chain get murdered or victimized.

That said, I still have literally zero reliable sources telling me that this kind of thing is likely.

Yeah is MRH the boy who called wolf finally telling the truth, or just continuing his normal bullshit with some random people boosting his claims.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, I would really like to get a serious answer on this, because right now it's "this is probably nonsense from crazy people and maybe some dudes taking advantage of a crazy person, but I'd like to be 100% sure."

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Doesn't MRH live in Georgia?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

ravenkult posted:

Doesn't MRH live in Georgia?

The Russian client state, not the American state.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
I'd consider it entirely plausible for him to be getting death threats, just because this is now a big shitstorm on the internet and therefore inevitably there's going to be dipshits who decide to start lobbing threats.

Whether those threats amount to anything more than someone shouting "yer gonna die fukker" at him on twitter or something is another matter.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

^^^^^ edit: Even with his crazy outright lies about some poo poo, I think it's pretty gross for this thread to be hedging their bets on whether MRH is making up death threats. He's a gently caress and no one should give a gently caress about his ~transgressive art~ but maybe wait until he reveals himself as a liar again before showing all this skepticism about a totally plausible outcome of this shitshow.

Why is that dude on the OPP forums acting like he somehow made all this happen with a Facebook post or something? Who the gently caress is he?

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 17, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

Russian client state

No it isn't, their government is pro-EU and NATO and they hate Russia because of their support of South Ossetian separatism.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hell, it might be one of the factors for MRH's enmity with the Russian far right and vice verse.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

That Old Tree posted:

^^^^^ edit: Even with his crazy outright lies about some poo poo, I think it's pretty gross for this thread to be hedging their bets on whether MRH is making up death threats. He's a gently caress and no one should give a gently caress about his ~transgressive art~ but maybe wait until he reveals himself as a liar again before showing all this skepticism about a totally plausible outcome of this shitshow.

Why is that dude on the OPP forums acting like he somehow made all this happen with a Facebook post or something? Who the gently caress is he?

He's been constantly posting about the controversy since it happened. He simultaneously condemns the Chechnya chapter while also playing White Wolf apologist. He created a petition to remove the Chechnya chapter and ended up being quoted in the Kommersant article.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Plutonis posted:

No it isn't, their government is pro-EU and NATO and they hate Russia because of their support of South Ossetian separatism.

I stand corrected

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
So I saw this come across a group of TG players I read:

quote:

Re: Zak Smith (aka. Sabbath) and Mark Rein Hagen

Good morning -

I read your post on the White Wolf site, and I appreciate your candor and explanation. My concern at this point is the writers you have on staff, and their current continuation writing for you. First off, I want to say, I'm not asking for anyone to get fired. But at the same time I do not feel I can support a company that hires racist/sexist/harassing individuals.

I was glad when the first controversy got an official response accepting the wrong was done and a promise to do better. But the responses of these two staff members of yours online, and the responses they've encouraged from their followers, as well as the Chechnya chapter of your latest book showed that was at best a hollow promise, and at worst an outright lie.

I'm not going to go into all the details, as I'm sure you've heard them all, but I have personally seen the harassing behavior of both of these individuals online, and seen that it has not stopped despite the controversy surrounding the recent Vampire releases. This goes so far as Rein Hagen's victim blaming for people hurt and upset by the Chechnya chapter in the most recent book.

I choose not to spend my money supporting companies that hire sexual harassers, racists, and homophobes, and I need to know if these two men will be continuing to work for your company or not. Thank you for being open to feedback and questions.

--
<redacted>

Response from Shams Jorjani:

Hey <redacted>.

Thanks for getting in touch and I appreciate your candor. In part why Paradox is taking more forceful measures now is just because of that. We have to learn from the mistakes and do better.

Without going into specifics - I've asked the team: "is the only way to make a good vampire book to work with people with sordid track records?" The answer is naturally no. Then why would we?

I'm currently reviewing the existing plans to make sure we stay on the straight and narrow going forwards.

I hope you can tell me if we live up to that in the future.

Regards,

Shams

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 17, 2018

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
That may be the most forthright thing anyone's ever said in regards to certain people with "sordid track records."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The converse to that is "If the answer is Yes, then should we make it?"

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

So I saw this come across a group of TG players I read:

This is completely meaningless unless WW are made to actually publicly decry those writers and apologise for hiring them and standing by them. Until that happens, this is just a PR guy making his company look good, and will have no detrimental effect on the careers of any of those people, because the same allegedly progressive bystanders who keep giving them the benefit of the doubt because "there's no proof" will continue to do that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lemon-Lime posted:

This is completely meaningless unless WW are made to actually publicly decry those writers and apologise for hiring them and standing by them. Until that happens, this is just a PR guy making his company look good, and will have no detrimental effect on the careers of any of those people, because the same allegedly progressive bystanders who keep giving them the benefit of the doubt because "there's no proof" will continue to do that.

yeeeea it's an improvement over 'we investigated it and he's fine actually' but there was nothing actually concrete there, just 'yes we agree bad people ARE bad' without any actual 'yep gently caress that guy and we're going to apologize for even giving him the time of day and make it clear to any other possible employer reading it he's a predator not worth keeping around'.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
It is a lot of fun to read that press release out loud in a chirpy voice.

😃"The White Wolf team will be restructured" 😃

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Talen_Lee/status/1063595243646279680

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Will people please stop repeating this until we hear it from at least one non-crazy person?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, it's been a crazy day for the industry, hasn't it?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Martin Ericsson/Swedracula says he still has a job, so my expectations are still low for any long-term change.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Martin Ericsson/Swedracula says he still has a job, so my expectations are still low for any long-term change.
Sweden has like, workers' rights and poo poo, so it may just be that the firing process isn't instant the way it is in America

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I personally don't object to them keeping Swedracula on as the guy who gets the coffee and cleans the office, and nothing else.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the true embarassment is a grown rear end man going by "swedracula"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Jazerus posted:

the true embarassment is a grown rear end man going by "swedracula"

That's just what a bunch of goons call him :ssh:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Swedracula is a derisive nickname because he won a contest to cosplay as Dracula and got to be used in official art. He's heavily involved in the VTM nordic LARPing scene.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Swedracula is a derisive nickname because he won a contest to cosplay as Dracula and got to be used in official art. He's heavily involved in the VTM nordic LARPing scene.

I thought he paid money to cosplay as Dracula as part of the V20 crowdfunding campaign.

Lost_Heretic
Feb 16, 2016

gtrmp posted:

I thought he paid money to cosplay as Dracula as part of the V20 crowdfunding campaign.

V20 didn't have a crowdfunding campaign.............

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lost_Heretic posted:

V20 didn't have a crowdfunding campaign.............
I thought it did? It was just, essentially, a pre-order for a deluxe edition (and probably also a way for them to break even on day 1)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Lemon-Lime posted:

The problem I've been told, by people related to former freelancers and/or actively writing themselves, is that any degree of 'gently caress this guy in particular' from the company is an opening for litigation of slander/libel.

This doesn't mean that a pointed 'wish well on future endeavors' can't be done, but this is all rear end covering by people who want to keep being invited to parties hosted by people who wish the worst for Zak S anyway, so grains of salt and all that.