Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

for the new page.

just finished reading a novel, how's everybody elses night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
So, we haven't seen what's actually causing those earthquakes, right? And everyone's coming to the possibly incorrect assumption they're connected to Halkenberg because they coincidentally happened at the same time as the suicide?

I can't believe we're going to be dealing with nen curses on top of both the beasts AND normal nen abilities. This arc is absurd.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Oh my god is Zhang Lei's guardian beast basically bitcoins

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pigbuster posted:

So, we haven't seen what's actually causing those earthquakes, right? And everyone's coming to the possibly incorrect assumption they're connected to Halkenberg because they coincidentally happened at the same time as the suicide?

I can't believe we're going to be dealing with nen curses on top of both the beasts AND normal nen abilities. This arc is absurd.

Looks like Camilla prepared better than we thought. Though it's interesting that both her and all of her forces have abilities related to dying.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Interesting that this killing curse Camilla's guards are trained in seems like one of the few ways it would be possible to kill her without her being resurrected.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Very entertaining chapter. Yes, it complicates more things, but that's what the whole Arc is about :P

Let' see

-Benjamin's side (or any other) still doesn't know the real reason of the suicide: to test how the ability works. Does the used guard comes back to his body? etc
-I guess this is the soldier called Vikto in the chapter, who uses a shield?

-Halkenburg trial could be shorter than they think, they can just make the possessed Vikto appear and say hi!
-But they make a good point in wondering why it was done in front of 1007 room. That's a mystery for us readers, too. I guess it will tackled on the next batch of episodes, giving Luzurus a bit more of focus.
-It's hilarious Bacho totally misses the truth, and he believes it's all a Benjamin's side ruse. The guard really wanted honest help! It's true they have their fingers on most pies, but no in this one.
-I like how in the last chapter and in this one we are reminded how the queens are a factor (their relationships with the different Princes, who are their guards), they can be involved in the conspiracy or being used to pass information.
-Is Juliano, the hunter with Tyson, being affected by the nen beast, in the same way Sale Sale's beast affected people's opinions? Or is the book like, really good? He seems to being assimilated into the cult.
-Camilla has a squad of 'untouchables' cursers, ohh. Very appropriate and manipulative for her to use them as disposable weapons. And interesting in how they have mixed an outdated tradition, a low caste group that still remains their society, and nen training into an unique 'bomb'. With all the theme of nen-after-death of this Arc, I think it's going to be a game-changer.
Although how it works exactly it's confusing, there were two different descriptions for how they work. Even the part of 'the target will have their auras stolen' is confusing, because I interpreted that as forced zetsu, however they add 'the most powerful curses will force zetsu', that means I misunderstood the first part.
-I'm super curious to know the ability of the third prince's Beast. The coin changed 1 to 10... it's just indicated how time has passed since he obtained it? But it isn't 10 hours or 10 days. Given it's a coin, money, the value could increase with a compound interest formula, like Potclean.

Translation is again subpar, there two places where you can guess easily how the translator made an error, like switching two names in two sentences.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

I don't think they are wrong, the rumbling matched Halkenburg's side several times. It was a 'incredible coincide' plot twist would be... reaching.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Holy poo poo Camila adds an extra layer... a god drat AMAZING extra layer to this war!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Camila has some interesting suicide bombers, and their requirements are appropriately particular and specific to incur a total shutdown of a nen user's abilities in, what's presumably a mostly unstoppable effect.

Halkenberg's testing is apparently continuing and given that his abilities square up as force multipliers based on his followers, it makes sense that it's exponentiating as such.

We know that Zhang Le's beast spits out a coin a day and that the value goes up. But what triggers the value going up is still a mystery as is what they're meant to be used for.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
I think we just found the absolute worst ability for Kurapika to steal chain by mistake.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
you'll never make me learn all these characters names or roles togashi

at least he made benjamins guards obvious by their outfits

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

can't believe its been 20 years since chrollo and hisoka fought

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

-Is Juliano, the hunter with Tyson, being affected by the nen beast, in the same way Sale Sale's beast affected people's opinions? Or is the book like, really good? He seems to being assimilated into the cult.

It said earlier that tyson's nen beast gives happiness to people who read the book and they end up becoming passionate followers of her teachings. i cant tell whether that means they get mind controlled like with sale sale's beast or if they just end up with a positive opinion of the book because it makes them happy when they read it. That might be intentionally ambiguous because it also seems hard to tell whether tyson is a full on cult leader type or a vain but well-meaning airhead

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Text translation by the guy working with 7sama is being rolled out. He says it's half done and covers the conversation between Benjamin, Balsamic Vinegar, and his guy from 1007. I'm putting those alongside the korean raws.

This is probably the most coherent way to have Benjamin figure out Halkenburg's ability. It just took him 10 days, 2 men, and his ability to compile all the movement information and personality profile of Halkenburg to do it. But I really have to question why Balsamic underrated his men so much. Shikaku had a manipulation failsafe built into his ability precisely because of the "first come, first serve" clause of manipulation. Since his ability was supposed to trap the opponents attack into a card, he also protects himself from not just emissions attacks, or hits to the shield. But from effects that might possess him, although it seems the timing or activation of his manipulation ability was off or required a different type of hand gesture? Either way that's a lot more proactive than any of the hunters that have manipulation abilities, and only Shalnark has a way to exploit this himself. Really drives home what Rihan was saying about environment determining the creation of Hatsu, Morel certainly has his own perks to his ability but it's clear the difference between his priorities and a soldiers priorities.

Two things bother me though. Vict was the guard assigned to Momoze and he was arrested along with all of her other guards after her death because they were all suspected of collaborating since everyone had a perfect alibi, but momoze's death was clearly premeditated. They were all supposed to be facing court martial. But now he has been moved to Halkenburg's room, and also has been possessed? I guess with the death of the actual culprit maybe Hanzo left a note incriminating the guy, and the other suspects were released?

The other thing is a detail I can't believe I missed. Benjamin has 1 more star on his palm than the number of subordinates he's lost so far. And this was true back when we first saw his hatsu. Meaning he has another ability inherited from a soldier prior to this arc. This also confirms that even with Halks ability, it doesn't override or prohibit Benjamin Baton from being triggered.

That's just from one half, I'm waiting for the second since it's Cammy time.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

There is a very interesting theory on Reddit about Halk, Shikaku 'suicide', and the room 1007 situation.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HunterXHunter/comments/9rvrzf/halkenburg_x_arrow_x_hypothesis/
https://www.reddit.com/r/HunterXHunter/comments/9y0efk/my_thoughts_about_halkenburg_they_are_all_dancing/

You remember the royal room floor diagram that seemed basically fluff? It can be important, look at how 1007 and 1009 (Halk) rooms are adjacent. It would be a very Togashi thing to do, which imo even gives credence to the theory.

Same with the interior room distribution, the entry is a separate hall with an interior door.

One of the last rumblings we don't know its purpose could have been used to posses the guard taking care of watching the door, the one who saw the suicide. So Halk's guard 'soul' didn't come back to his body, but jumped to the new victim just as he blew up Shikaku's brains.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The only problem I see with that is that it was total coincidence that no nen users were in eyesight of the door. If they were, they'd see the arrow.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The other thing against this ability is the timing, the framing of the third rumble is Halkenburg and his men testing out the ability to see what is the fate of the "arrow"'s soul. It would be weird if he fired off another man before confirming what happened to the last one. But a point to this theory is the fact that Basho seems to notice the rumbling moments before Shikaku commits suicide, and it seems like halk and his men spent a good amount of time talking which could mean that they were definitely initiating something related to their group aura.

It's an odd theory because I 100% am down for shooting through the walls, but the timing I had considered was the 4th rumble being the actual event after confirming the fate of Sumidori. If this theory is true, than my previous assumption that the group aura stays active to maintain the possession is invalidated and Halk can have as many discreet spies as he wants after firing off wherever he pleases.

Of course the whole "traitor among the 2nd queen's guards" could also be a red herring.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Something I love about this arc is how togashi has basically reached a new Level of pitting nen abilities against each other. There are an incredible amount of insanely skilled nen users on board, such as the spiders, the hxh zodiaks, free actors such as gin or hisoka, as well as all kind of randos. There are an ungodly amount of interesting nen fights right around the corner and it's easy to see top level users in conflict with each other. I'm hoping for the next focus after the current maneuvering to be some nice fights.

I really hope togashi will finish at least the travel arc in his lifetime, as I truly don't believe the dark continent will ever be finished.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Son of Rodney posted:

Something I love about this arc is how togashi has basically reached a new Level of pitting nen abilities against each other. There are an incredible amount of insanely skilled nen users on board, such as the spiders, the hxh zodiaks, free actors such as gin or hisoka, as well as all kind of randos. There are an ungodly amount of interesting nen fights right around the corner and it's easy to see top level users in conflict with each other. I'm hoping for the next focus after the current maneuvering to be some nice fights.

I really hope togashi will finish at least the travel arc in his lifetime, as I truly don't believe the dark continent will ever be finished.

It could happen but hed have to admit to himself that his back is hosed and he needs an artist and just do the writing first.

At the same time though, I get not wanting to give that up, itd be like selling half of your baby to some stranger.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I totally forgot that Manipulators can protect themselves from other Manipulators by just hitting themselves with their ability

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Eej posted:

I totally forgot that Manipulators can protect themselves from other Manipulators by just hitting themselves with their ability

RIP Shalnark... Hisoka is legit a sicko for stringing up a dead Manipulator like a puppet. :D

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I really dig the 'Have-nots' as an idea because nen abilities informed by the culture of the character are always cool to me. It's a great way to give the world some flavor. Like, Basho is this japanese guy running around with weaponized Haikus. Abengane was this exorcist that had a clear shamanistic background of some form, a theme that seems to repeat among the majority of the exorcists shown. At least until this arc with Rihan and Camille's person who break the visual markers by being in military uniforms. Bonolenov is my favorite Troupe member and being a holey warrior is pretty awesome, I liked his fight during the CA arc.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/HxHSource/status/1065070914180509696?s=19

I'm glad we have a good edit for this but at the same time... well, it's not like I didn't see it coming. It had to happen eventually.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
It's so expected at this point that I don't really care. Of course that might also be because so much of this set of chapters has been setup. Watch him leave us on a bad cliffhanger and drive me up the fuckin' wall.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

we've survived worse... don't fret!

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Blaze Dragon posted:

https://twitter.com/HxHSource/status/1065070914180509696?s=19

I'm glad we have a good edit for this but at the same time... well, it's not like I didn't see it coming. It had to happen eventually.

Jesus Christ, finish the drat arc. The manga had a great end point, but no gotta do more 😑. Whenever this arc is finished I am done with H x H until it actually ends and then I will read it all.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

dazoner posted:

Jesus Christ, finish the drat arc. The manga had a great end point, but no gotta do more 😑. Whenever this arc is finished I am done with H x H until it actually ends and then I will read it all.

I have some bad news for you.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

dazoner posted:

'finish the drat arc'. Lol. That kind of would make sense if he was close to finish it, but dude, possibly we are but 1/4 done. It will be several years until it finishes.

I prefer to look it on this way: Togashi is several times faster than George R.R. Martin :P

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Beyond Togashi.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I hope Kurapika dies before it goes on hiatus again 😈

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
:(

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

track day bro! posted:

I hope Kurapika dies before it goes on hiatus again 😈

it'll be leorio dying off screen

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Gon bursts out of a barrel, proclaiming how hungry he is, for the last panel

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That would rule

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
The rookie crusher, head of the secret fourth crime family, makes his presence known along with his 5 tiers of underbosses, all of whom are named and have nen powers based on talking a lot.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Kurapika's my favorite character but I would love for it to turn out that for all this very complicated politicking and Nen meta-fighting, Gon's here to completely not get it and gently caress it up for everyone

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Nonexistence posted:

The rookie crusher, head of the secret fourth crime family, makes his presence known along with his 5 tiers of underbosses, all of whom are named and have nen powers based on talking a lot.

Also a quarter of all named characters are double and triple agents,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Bill is Hisoka.