Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Elderbean posted:

I honestly don't know what's going on during combat in Xenoblade during combat but I like seeing the numbers everywhere. Like halfnthe time I can't even see my guy but I like it anyway.

I think Torna explains it a lot better. I actually know what orbs are now, and why breaking them is good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I've also had "Meh, MEH MEH MEH" embedded into my brain.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gripweed posted:

I think Torna explains it a lot better. I actually know what orbs are now, and why breaking them is good!

It's also a lot easier to set up Chain Combos, because you rack up to three Orbs in a single Blade Combo, regardless of elemental combination, instead of one.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Pokémon Go to the polls

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Anyone playing Moonlighter find their store not closing anymore? Whether letting it happen naturally or closing manually, my customers leave and the game doesn't let me continue. Weird.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
So... what are the must-haves on the Switch? I wanted to give it a while before I got one because I didn't feel like getting a console just for Zelda, now I'm looking into it and... pretty much just seems like a console for Zelda. Anything new that I'm missing out on? (Assume I don't care that much about Pokemon.)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Straight White Shark posted:

So... what are the must-haves on the Switch? I wanted to give it a while before I got one because I didn't feel like getting a console just for Zelda, now I'm looking into it and... pretty much just seems like a console for Zelda. Anything new that I'm missing out on? (Assume I don't care that much about Pokemon.)

It depends on what kind of games you like. If you have even the tiniest interest in shooters, Splatoon. If you enjoy platformers at all, Mario Odyssey. If you like RPGs, Xenoblade. If you like action games, Bayonetta. If you like Monster Hunter, Monster Hunter

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Straight White Shark posted:

For me personally, not really if you've got a Wii U. If you don't bayonetta 2 is real good.

I just use it as a portable dark souls and fifa device for trips.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hentai Jihadist posted:

if you've got a Wii U

I feel like the venn diagram of people who own a Wii U and people who won't buy a console just for Zelda looks like this: o o

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Does Pokémon Let’s Go Pikachu and Pokémon Let’s Go Eevee each have a unique awful flavor to each of their carts? THIS IS IMPORTANT

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Portable Diablo is a thing I never knew I needed in my life and its drat amazing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Really fun to play with the pokeball plus. Only thing is after I finished I tried to connect it to my phone and my phone saw it but wouldn't connect, and now pressing the buttons seem to do nothing?

Well, I'm plugging it in and will try again in the morning I guess. I didn't try opening the game again to see if it still connects to the switch, but right now the buttons seem to do nothing at all. I don't have a Pokemon in there or anything so I wouldn't expect the buttons to do anything. Guess I'll find out if it's broken in the morning!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Has anyone tried the new Pokemon with local Co-op? Looking to see if it's something to play with the SO.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I love how Bellsprout (his names Herb) runs way out ahead like a dope when you take him out of his ball :downs:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

THE loving MOON posted:

I love how Bellsprout (his names Herb) runs way out ahead like a dope when you take him out of his ball :downs:
I was watching Caleb play for a bit on Twitch earlier and he found a large Onyx and was riding it around and it looked ridiculous.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Played four hours of Let's Go Back To Kanto For The Fifth Time this evening. drat, this is great. I don't miss the random battles and HP/PP management that comes with them at all. Tossing balls at Pokemon is a fine replacement.

I really hope they keep the mechanic mostly the same--the one improvement I would make if they keep it for the upcoming mainline game would be instead of using a berry to make the catching easier to have the option use a move from one of your party members instead to weaken it a bit. I feel like that would be a good balance between the old and the new.

The Pokeball Plus mostly awesome. "Throwing" it at the Pokemon is cool, and having it vibrate and flash as the ball shakes is some pretty great immersion. I don't love having to click the stick all the time, though--it just feels wrong, and I don't know how much it can take before it wears out.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

American McGay posted:

I was watching Caleb play for a bit on Twitch earlier and he found a large Onyx and was riding it around and it looked ridiculous.

I saw that in an earlier video. I'm not sure if you can take any pokemon out, but I think you can. Pretty sure Snorlax can carry you around or something

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

asecondduck posted:

Played four hours of Let's Go Back To Kanto For The Fifth Time this evening. drat, this is great. I don't miss the random battles and HP/PP management that comes with them at all. Tossing balls at Pokemon is a fine replacement.

Especially considering how many battles there are once you get into the meat of the game, I agree totally. It’s nice to have 2 types of gameplay to bounce between to keep things semi fresh.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

THE loving MOON posted:

I saw that in an earlier video. I'm not sure if you can take any pokemon out, but I think you can. Pretty sure Snorlax can carry you around or something

I have my Mew flying and circling around me because I FINALLY HAVE A loving MEW

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
How big is the poke ball anyways? The pictures I'm seeing don't give me a frame of reference for how big their hands are.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

asecondduck posted:

I have my Mew flying and circling around me because I FINALLY HAVE A loving MEW

it turns out mew was in the ups truck afterall

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Doh004 posted:

Has anyone tried the new Pokemon with local Co-op? Looking to see if it's something to play with the SO.

i played coop with my 4 year old for about an hour. works well, player 1 makes all the decisions player 2 can walk around the map but cant really do anything. made it easy to lead my kid to where he should go when he was ready to move on. coordinating throws when capturing pokemon is the best part of the coop. battles are completely trivialized though and theyre already pretty easy solo. theres no balancing for the opponents so its always a 2v1 in your favor.

i dont know how much fun all of that would be with 2 adults playing but its a great experience with a kid. every time we got a synchronized capture he would jump out of his chair and cheer.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Doh004 posted:

I played coop for about an hour with the wife tonight. It's kind of comical levels of broken when every fight is 2v1 and the xp bonus for throwing in sync is massive.

But also we spent 20 minutes combing Veridian forest for a Bulbasaur yelling about bees and laughing it up because it's super lighthearted and laid back.

Player 2 can't interact with the overworld at all. You're just there to run around kind of like a guide. Wild Pokemon ignore you, trainers don't care about you, you can't pick up items. It's the parent/experienced player role.

Overall we had a good time with it and will probably pick it up again some night with a couple drinks to relax.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Just got Mario Party and didn't realize that the Joy Cons actually made sound. The HD rumble and the ability to play basic sounds is pretty cool.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Kirby needs a Moba game. Look how many champions are in star allies :3:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Anidav posted:

Kirby needs a Moba game. Look how many champions are in star allies :3:

Mobas are too toxic for Kirby

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Vegastar posted:

Player 2 can't interact with the overworld at all. You're just there to run around kind of like a guide. Wild Pokemon ignore you, trainers don't care about you, you can't pick up items. It's the parent/experienced player role.

Not true! When you walk over wild pokemon they get "stunned" for a second or two. Useful if P1 is trying to not run into every pokemon you see.

Played until we got to Cerulean, swapping out our overleveled pokemon for weaker ones to keep the game from being too much of a pushover, but was kind of annoyed that the one time there was actually a double battle, the game despawned me and wouldn't let me pick attacks for "my" pokemon, I had to just tell my gf what attacks/pokemon I wanted to use. That's the exact time when co-op would be cool, Game Freak!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Macaluso posted:

Kirbys ultimate is to end the game.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
So interesting thing I just found out about Lets Go. During battles you can press Y for info, and you can see not just type advantage and status effects or whatever, but there's a chart that shows you exactly how many stacks of buffs you and your opponents pokemon have on them. That's not something I've seen in previous games.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Any chances that the new Pokemon game will have some sales next Friday? Don't know how Nintendo does Black Friday stuff since I haven't had a new Nintendo console since the N64.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ThermoPhysical posted:

Any chances that the new Pokemon game will have some sales next Friday? Don't know how Nintendo does Black Friday stuff since I haven't had a new Nintendo console since the N64.
It came out today.........

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

No

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Macaluso posted:

Nonsense

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Apparently the USBC cable that comes with the that pokeball can charge the switch off a battery. Kinda surprised considering it's tiny

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fawf posted:

Nonsense

That's way less toxic than mobas

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gripweed posted:

It depends on what kind of games you like. If you have even the tiniest interest in shooters, Splatoon. If you enjoy platformers at all, Mario Odyssey. If you like RPGs, Xenoblade. If you like action games, Bayonetta. If you like Monster Hunter, Monster Hunter

I hate sounding like a broken record but I love JRPGs and Xenoblade was ultimately very disappointing. Also came out in a year where Splatoon, Mario Kart 8, BOTW and Odyssey all came out (which are all the “required” switch games imo)

ThermoPhysical posted:

The switch itself looks like it won’t even have Black Friday sales yet. Nintendo is ridiculously unwilling to discount

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Pokemon literally just came out...

Also Nintendo hardly ever does sales on its main titles.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The best deal you're gonna get is like a save $20 when you buy 2 full priced games or something. There won't be anything specific to Pokemon or offered by Nintendo themselves.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The new Pokemon games own - haters were wrong about this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It looks extremely chill and has plenty of polish. The removing random encounters and replacing it with the throw/catch mechanic is actually kind of a good thing and helps break up the monotony of battle with trainers ever 3 steps. I like it.