Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I sent off my elite cyber commando squad to destroy a local raider city, equipped with EPOE advanced bionics and some ridiculously overpowered gun added by some mod (Glitter Tech?) which I was already planning on dropping from my next run, but well...

Turns out the enemy had one too. Namely this fucker:

Peep those stats. And this one is poor. Nothing else (that I have ever seen) even comes close.

Anyway one of the raider gets off 2 lucky shots, which hit my 2 best guys (the same ones that got in a headbutt-fight earlier), instantly destroying their heart and brain respectively. I took the only survivor prisoner and did an on the spot heart transplant, but not fast enough to save contestant #1 from severe brain damage due to oxygen loss. The other one... I'm hoping that a resurrector mech serum can work despite a totally destroyed brain and 4 days worth of travel decomposition in the winter.

If that fails, that's an awful lot of bionics to go to waste all in one spot already, and I have a spare AI persona core...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

This first year was great. I ran out of wood but I have all these meals stashed in my freezer and even have a hospital set up!

*heat wave*

No problem, I have my A/Cs set up so--

*solar flare*

Well, all my meat is spoiled and most of my dudes are in heat stroke but I managed to deconstruct a bunch of apartments and make some passive coolers for the hospital--

*raid*

gently caress man. Randy is a generous and a cruel god.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Speaking of, what’s a good overhaul mod to start with?

We should probably get a spreadsheet going on this now, its beyond an effortpost and the mod list is endless plus there's hardly a person in the thread playing it with some standard mod setup. It might be handy too, since mods vary wildly from QoL to full on DLC to just prettier things. As a good rule of thumb, anything fluffy or rainbeauflambe have on steam are almost canon, in fact I think a lot of RBF's stuff was just absorbed into the game.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Kiame V something or other has done a lot as well, though their stuff is a lot more varied in terms of, "...what's this?" and "Yeah, I'll use that, it's awesome!"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
IDK if there are even any overhaul mods on any large scale. Pretty much every mod just picks a specific mechanic and overhauls it, albeit some with greater scope than others, eg weapon mods tend to change gameplay a lot, same with mods that add end game tech which is almost always massively OP.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

metasynthetic posted:

I sent off my elite cyber commando squad to destroy a local raider city, equipped with EPOE advanced bionics and some ridiculously overpowered gun added by some mod (Glitter Tech?) which I was already planning on dropping from my next run, but well...

Turns out the enemy had one too. Namely this fucker:

Peep those stats. And this one is poor. Nothing else (that I have ever seen) even comes close.

Anyway one of the raider gets off 2 lucky shots, which hit my 2 best guys (the same ones that got in a headbutt-fight earlier), instantly destroying their heart and brain respectively. I took the only survivor prisoner and did an on the spot heart transplant, but not fast enough to save contestant #1 from severe brain damage due to oxygen loss. The other one... I'm hoping that a resurrector mech serum can work despite a totally destroyed brain and 4 days worth of travel decomposition in the winter.

If that fails, that's an awful lot of bionics to go to waste all in one spot already, and I have a spare AI persona core...

That's Glittertech, and also the reason why I strongly dislike that mod. Funny thing is that's not even the most overpowered gun in the mod. If guys with Glittertech weapons show up your only chance at survival is for them to run over some traps and die, because if they see anyone they're dead.

If I want "advanced" tech, I much prefer Sparkling Worlds, since it doesn't add ridiculous instakill god weapons.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Randy: Have a raid!
Me: Ok it's a bunch of melee tribals and I have a gunline, one person got bruised.
Randy: Infestation in your warehouse the same day!
Me: Annoying, I'll kite them into a hall and beat them to death one at a time, got three guys scratched up kinda bad but I have three hospital be-
Randy: 15 MANHUNTER SNOW RABBITS
Me: :what: Fine let me draft my two good melee guys and let them club some bun-JESUS CHRIST THEY'RE LIKE PIRANHAS THEY BIT OUT ONE MAN'S EYES OH CHRIST DRAFT EVERYONE

And then half the colony nearly died from bloodloss and I had to panic-order every trade caravan I had reputation for because I ran out of medicine.

I got Monty Python'd. Fortunately, Mr Event Horizon had partial use of one eye, and my main doctor got a Surgery Inspiration a few days later, so I cranked out a bionic eye with most of my plasteel and now my chief craftsman is fully functional again.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
CLOSE YOUR DOORS

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What I need most is a mod that removes the creepy-as-gently caress colonist background stories, Jesus Christ

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
You mean you don't like Emmie "gang raped every day since she was a baby" ???

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1539310979

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Tynan is a sicko chud manbaby, and it kind of bothers me to give him money, but what's done is done.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Tias posted:

Tynan is a sicko chud manbaby, and it kind of bothers me to give him money, but what's done is done.

As far as I'm aware, most/all of the super stupid/gross backstories are kickstarter rewards for a certain donation tier, so instead of Tynan being a gross dude it's the people who gave him money being gross dudes.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

Holy crap how did I miss this? I'm hoping this means I don't have to reroll a million loving times before I settle upon a colonist that isn't cruelly broken in gameplay and other ways.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Phoenix Taichou posted:

Holy crap how did I miss this? I'm hoping this means I don't have to reroll a million loving times before I settle upon a colonist that isn't cruelly broken in gameplay and other ways.

Use Prepare Carefully to eliminate all rerolling woes forever.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Kanos posted:

As far as I'm aware, most/all of the super stupid/gross backstories are kickstarter rewards for a certain donation tier, so instead of Tynan being a gross dude it's the people who gave him money being gross dudes.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Tias posted:

That was a crowdfunding payoff, someone paid a ton of money to specifically have that gang raped baby. Granted it's pretty gross that he included it but

Kanos posted:

Use Prepare Carefully to eliminate all rerolling woes forever.

Someone less unilaterally, you can use the scenario editor to forbid cruddy traits

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

:yikes:

The only thing I'll give Tynan himself credit for in this regard is that he's proven somewhat willing to change when pressured, as evidenced by the whole bisexuality thing. That puts him ahead of your average techbro chud, who would simply double down out of spite.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tynan is peak libertarian capitalist and the only thing he loves more than being a wacko conservative is money.

I mean I think he generally tries to do the right thing but I don't believe in my heart of hearts for a second that he'd alter his Randian worldview just because people argued with him. It's because of the backlash

Tias
May 25, 2008

I'll consider changing my opinion if he ever shows any remorse for talking so much poo poo about minorities, but yeah, he only seems sorry for getting caught.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
In other news:

Yeah, getting old sucks. I hope Randy isn't in charge of my Birthday party when I hit 40 next year...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Who cares about his opinions on Islam he made a wonderful game.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rutibex posted:

Who cares about his opinions on Islam he made a wonderful game.

of all the takes you could make on this this is the worst one

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Subvert his will and make the game about a bunch of gay moslem pacifists who just want to heat some halal lavish meals in peace

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

of all the takes you could make on this this is the worst one

Islam isn't a race its an ideology. You can criticize its tenets the same as you can criticize Mormonism, Catholicism, or Scientology. But this thread isn't about Islam or politics, its about Rimworld so I suggest we discuss Rimworld.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

omfg shuuuuuut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuppp

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Literally are yall unable to not deviate. Do we need a game_dev_opinion_discussion thread to filter this chat out to?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rutibex posted:

Islam isn't a race its an ideology. You can criticize its tenets the same as you can criticize Mormonism, Catholicism, or Scientology. But this thread isn't about Islam or politics, its about Rimworld so I suggest we discuss Rimworld.

lmao :goku:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Rutibex posted:

Islam isn't a race its an ideology.

Less of a dogwhistle more like an air raid siren

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I have to say I love the implied greater universe in all of the back stories. I decided to start a new game, as I am getting more adept. I just downloaded the "Prepare Carefully" mod that allows you to customize your starting colonists. I have been recreating the main cast of star trek TNG. I thought might need a star trek mod, but to my delight Rimworld has enough character background and traits to recreate all of them all in fine detail, even their bionic implants! Data isn't quite a robot, but he is a person with 100% bionic implants so i figured that was pretty close. getting stranded on a primitive world is a pretty standard TNG plot, but we will see if the crew can get out of this one! :twisted:

Captains Log 41153.7

quote:

The Enterprise has crash landed on a remote Rimworld in the Drebdo System. We encountered some form of subspace interference and unfortunately navigated into the planets atmosphere. The important members of the crew managed to reach escape pods, but many side characters perished in the crash. Commander Data was able to do a preliminary scan of the planet, and it seems to be a predominantly pre-industrial culture, with pockets of unusual energy readings. They are a prewarp culture, so the prime directive must be observed at all times. Tricorder reading indicate one of the Enterprises shuttle craft survived reentry, but it is unfortunately on another continent. We must survive on this Rimworld and formulate a plan to reach the shuttle!

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Danaru posted:

Less of a dogwhistle more like an air raid siren

Just step over that poo poo.

Are there any difficulty scaler mods/director AIs that make the game feel competitive but not unbeatable? I appreciate randy but he is a cruel and unjust god.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
I'm doing my part (to save the thread)

This colony died to some bug from conflicting mods.

Herb Dington fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 17, 2018

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

This one is zoomed in a bit and only 5 pictures, one every 5 days the last one was one per day.

It was then I got a bug that I don't remember anymore, and overhauled my mod list.

Tias
May 25, 2008

So I've gotten a neat colony going, but in spite of making marine armour, shield belts and whatnot, my colonist are beginning to show some old scars on their bodies. I'd rather not get them on luciferum, and the base game prostetics reduse their limbs to 50% functionality.

Where to go for craftable bionics?

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
EPOE is good but overpowered imo. RBSE is a bit better. There may be specific mods you can get for scars - for example the stimpacks in project fallout can heal injuries.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Tias posted:

Where to go for craftable bionics?

Pretty sure this is in vanilla from the fabrication bench. Or you could use EPOE.

edit: yeah RBSE is preferred now, I forgot. That's what I have, too.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Yeah, bionics crafting is in the base game near the end of the tech tree. Or you can just get your drug/statue business rolling and by archotech limbs from your neighbors.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
RBSE also has the researchable ability to remove scars with glitterworld medicine, I believe.

Amperor
Oct 27, 2010

How are people taking screenshots of their whole bases?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Herb Dington posted:

This one is zoomed in a bit and only 5 pictures, one every 5 days the last one was one per day.

It was then I got a bug that I don't remember anymore, and overhauled my mod list.

Archipelagos is one of the best mods, it leads to a totally different game. Try Cold Bog Archipelago, that's about the most interesting map of all for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

Flesh Forge posted:

Archipelagos is one of the best mods, it leads to a totally different game. Try Cold Bog Archipelago, that's about the most interesting map of all for me.

Archipelagos are absolutely gorgeous, I always get a comfy feeling playing on them especially when its raining.