Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
The best thing about Fallout 76 is all the money Feargus Urquhart isn't getting from it.

User fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

User posted:

The best thing about Fallout 76 is all the money Feargus Urquhart isn't getting from it.

The worst thing is all the money Bethesda isn't getting from it

because nobody is buying it

Also Feargus prob just got a huge gently caress-off payday from microsoft, so he wins.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
Yeah I hope the other poor bastards there who did all the actual work got a taste.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

User posted:

Yeah I hope the other poor bastards there who did all the actual work got a taste.

Oh, of course, just like when Notch got his ridiculous minecraft money and kept most of it for himself and now he's a depressive sad sack because he has no friends

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

also you don't use schematics automatically and they weigh a bunch to carry (for some reason) if you want another 'man that wasn't obvious at all" tip

giz us anotha

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
At least Notch did actual work. But yeah.

Edit: Looks like his lesser known cofounder got about $1.3B too.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Powershift posted:

Oh, of course, just like when Notch got his ridiculous minecraft money and kept most of it for himself and now he's a depressive sad sack because he has no friends

Kind of funny all that money was not enough for his wife to put up with his poo poo.

Billionaire incel lol

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Hey man gently caress it get that Microsoft money if you can

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Floppychop posted:

Except it doesn't change the file, and restarting the game brings the FOV back to what I set it at.

I'll try it again with read only once I get home.

Really? I'll have to double check this as well, my use of VATS is limited because it's awful in realtime but I did use it last night and didn't notice a change on my FOV. Maybe my eyes just got used to the terrible default FOV and now I'm used to it? Oh god.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

10 minutes in the Wasteland where an invisible and soundless dog slowly eats me.
Thread title?

Rinkles posted:

Do we know if the high perceptiveness of ghost people in dead money was unintentional?
They had a perception of 0, which isn't supported by the game engine. I forget what variable type it is, but it would roll over to at least 255 if not 65535 as a result.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

GWBBQ posted:

They had a perception of 0, which isn't supported by the game engine. I forget what variable type it is, but it would roll over to at least 255 if not 65535 as a result.

Yeah I read about that, but I can't find developer confirmation whether that was the intended effect or not. I mean, I think it was a mistake, but then why wasn't it patched? Blind ghost people would completely change how the dlc played, it's hard to imagine they wouldn't have caught it even before release.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Spent a hour taking over a workshop and decking it out to farm oil and copper. Crashed 5 minutes later seems even if you reconnect right away all your stuff is still gone. This is the only person game I've ever had crash and it happens daily.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I really hope the end game nuke content is doable without power armor.

Between the nausea inducing screen shake and inability to use terminals power armor just isn't worth it to me. I never used it in F04.

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000
This game is so horribly broken but it has a sincere amount of potential. It's a post-apocalyptic playground that you will either love or hate. Or something wonderfully in-between. I just hope it doesn't turn into a cheese-dick in-game-currency wank-fest.

Hyphen overuse.

A few tips from me at level 16:

A) Spend some time in Flatwoods, the first major town south of Vault 76. Pretty much all the resources and crafting stations you need are located there. Find the Red Rocket in Flatwoods and you have a place to store your junk, break down items, and craft weapons. Moving forward, keep an eye out for Red Rockets near major cities and the like because they have stashes and can be used as a "jumping off point" before exploring an area.

I messed around with base building and it's a little too buggy and impractical for my tastes right now. All hail the Red Rocket.

B) Food is easy to come by and cook. Drink not so much. I highly recommend making about 100 lbs of room in your inventory, popping a Rad-X, and gathering as much dirty water as you can carry. The Rad-X minimizes the radiation you get for collecting dirty water from a stream or water pump. The Rad-X lasts for a specific period of time so while it's up for 10 minutes you should gather dirty water like it's going out of style. After gathering a poo poo-ton of dirty water, put it in your stash and then GET RIGHT BACK at collecting another 100lbs to put in your stash. Then boil that water and then make teas out of the various herbs and plants you collect while you are exploring. You can also learn how to make soups that satisfy both hunger and thirst. Joy! No more water issues. Make tea when you want. Make soup when you want.

Most of my game-time this week was managing thirst, even with perk cards that helped me. It was a relief when I simply had enough dirty water to tea and soup myself into hydrated oblivion.

Shortened:

I am level 16. Here are my two tips:

A) Explore Flatwood, which is the first city south of Vault 76. Find the Red Rocket and use it as a base.

B) Find a river, pop a Rad-X, and get as much dirty water as you can carry. Put it in your stash at Red Rocket then you can make as much tea and soup as you want. Moving forward you don't have to worry about being thirsty ALL THE loving TIME.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Can you raise S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stats above 10? I've reached 10 in Strength and last time I leveled up I tried to increase it again and the game didn't say I couldn't. However, I backed out and increased a different stat instead.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

15 is the max

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

eonwe posted:

I thought FOV slider was a hard no?

I mean it should have been in at launch but drat, okay ill take it

I believe console exclusive red dead redemption 2 has an fov slider so id imagine another triple a developer would be able to implement it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rinkles posted:

Yeah I read about that, but I can't find developer confirmation whether that was the intended effect or not. I mean, I think it was a mistake, but then why wasn't it patched? Blind ghost people would completely change how the dlc played, it's hard to imagine they wouldn't have caught it even before release.

A lot of strange things happened when Obsidian sent their stuff over to Bethesda's QA department for polish. Daniel got turned from an Asian into a white guy for Honest Hearts for some reason.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Having fun at the water park.

Live action mysterious stranger is pretty funny to see also.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 17, 2018

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

After 15+ hours, I think a recommendation of "wait until its $30" sounds about right.

Is there a way to export the photos from in-game? Seems like they spent a lot of effort on the Photo capability but it doesn't seem easy to show them off to anybody else.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Terminal autist posted:

I believe console exclusive red dead redemption 2 has an fov slider so id imagine another triple a developer would be able to implement it

I'm not saying its not possible, thats obvious, it is

I'm saying they said it was a hard no

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Then they said it's coming soon. Shockingly enough, Todd Howard told a lie.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
okay, but they just initially said its absolutely not happening and they'd look into ptt, etc is all I was saying

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Just still kind of boggles my mind that games are having issues with a problem we solved like 15 years ago when modern triple a game budgets are the size small countries

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
Makes you wonder, imagine the meeting that went like this:
"Some of our potential customers will get motion sick and unable to play this game, but we can add a config option that can even be INI only and that our middleware already supports"
"Nah gently caress that, what would Bobby Kotick do? Yeah thought so!"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I mean people have been complaining about the lack of fov options in their games for years.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z_KcQuYVX0

I assume this works on console too so enjoy, infinite carry weight!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The ape man strikes again:

This game is a total piece of poo poo, I legit wouldn't recommend this to anyone at a price above $10.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There's a claimed base that lets you call in a vertibird to attack.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I'm just hitting level 50 aaaand I think I need to stop using the excavator armor as a crutch for my carry weight. I want to get some T-60 parts, but I have no idea where to find the armor, or how to learn to make the armor mods. Is there a more reliable way to do this?

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This games gonna go f2p in a couple months

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I was seriously losing my poo poo trying to figure out why my camp build limit wouldn't go down despite continuing to remove stuff. Answer is in a loving load screen where it says "stored items still count towards your build limit".

God drat game, why are you so abstruse. Even more annoying since this is like the opposite of how it worked in fo4.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Floppychop posted:

I really hope the end game nuke content is doable without power armor.

Between the nausea inducing screen shake and inability to use terminals power armor just isn't worth it to me. I never used it in F04.

I hate it too. Many perks say "when not in power armour", so maybe stacking these you become powerful?

Perhaps powerarmour is something you use to walk trough a deadly place but not all the time, like the hazmat.

User posted:

Makes you wonder, imagine the meeting that went like this:
"Some of our potential customers will get motion sick and unable to play this game, but we can add a config option that can even be INI only and that our middleware already supports"
"Nah gently caress that, what would Bobby Kotick do? Yeah thought so!"

my theories (pulled from my rear end):

I think is more a optimization problem. The lower the fov the less polygons the GPU have to render. So they lower it has much has they can get with in consoles, because consoles are weak hardware. And because in consoles it make sense to have a low fov to begin first (I hate it).

Then for certification and management problems, all versions of the game need to use the same settings. So they can test thing only once, not 1 time for each different target.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

When you drop anything in this game, it just shows a little paper bag on the ground. Does this mean there's no way for me to decorate my house with all these skulls & bones I've been hoarding for the past 20 hours?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Discospawn posted:

When you drop anything in this game, it just shows a little paper bag on the ground. Does this mean there's no way for me to decorate my house with all these skulls & bones I've been hoarding for the past 20 hours?

yup

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
One review on Metacritic - 3/10 lol. Jim Sterling was pretty savage in his impressions video, Giant Bomb didn't seem to like it much in theirs. Are we gonna see a critical savaging once the reviews start rolling in? I hope so.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Discospawn posted:

god DAMNIT

Bardeh posted:

One review on Metacritic - 3/10 lol. Jim Sterling was pretty savage in his impressions video, Giant Bomb didn't seem to like it much in theirs. Are we gonna see a critical savaging once the reviews start rolling in? I hope so.

The 3/10 is a user review, not the game reviewer that counts as their 1 review

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Nov 17, 2018

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Discospawn posted:

god DAMNIT

The 3/10 is a user review, not the game reviewer that counts as their 1 review

Anyone can be a game critic

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Really the thing getting in everyone's way is the inability to change all the lovely poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

check if there's no craftable bone decoration