Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Cool and funny dude Civvie dropped part one of a series of vids on Blood!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puYhzJvXz2s

Highly recommend watching his Pro Wang vids about Shadow Warrior because they are hilarious and also made me a better Shadow Warrior player. I always played it like DN3D and would get my rear end handed to me on the lowest difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm hyped

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Shoehead posted:

I'm hyped

:yeah: and :same:.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
In Weird Uses of Doom News, Sonic Robo Blast 2 now has a kart racer mod that's hit 1.0, and has some 100+ tracks/battle rooms to play around in. Grab it over here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAqQ68-Cx0w

Honestly what even IS impossible on this engine by now?

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 17, 2018

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Shoehead posted:

I'm hyped

Is that an Ion Maiden gif?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Yes!

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I like how in two pages of Far Cry chat that Primal was never talked about even once.

What a complete waste of a game.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
If any of you remember Lucasarts' Outlaws, it's now on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/559620/Outlaws__A_Handful_of_Missions/

It's a forgotten gem of the genre, which I think was due to it being a 2.5d fps released shortly after everyone started the switch to 3d.

The shooting is solid, it has a great Morricone inspired spaghetti western soundtrack, and animated cutscenes that give it a lot more character than the other fps games of its time.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Vakal posted:

I like how in two pages of Far Cry chat that Primal was never talked about even once.

Lots of shooter devs think that literally the most fun that can be had is nothing but bows and repetitive takedown moves, and Ubi is at the front of that push.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

That was neat and I hope there’s more to come.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

This looks real cool.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Shoehead posted:

I'm hyped

Yes I did notice that it was strange that you had a one handed SMG and couldn't duel wield it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Vakal posted:

I did mention it, but only to say I never played it so can't comment on it.

I own it and I've heard it's about half the length of Far Cry 4 so I'll get to it eventually.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Vakal posted:

I actually really enjoyed Primal. It was the first Far Cry game that felt difficult without mods. Can't really remember much beyond that though, its been a long time.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Far Cry Primal was easily my favourite Far Cry game.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shoehead posted:

I'm hyped

It's funny how you can instantly recognize it's the Build engine. You could recreate this level in GZDoom perfectly and it'd look different.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
So I like Doom gameplay mods like High Noon Drifter, Heretical Doom, or Contra Doom. What are some others I should check out?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

My Doom 2 Map11 replacement "Control Tower" is ready for testing.

EDIT: I suppose I should say a little about the theme first. Like Doom 2, this mission is about reaching the switch which controls the barrier keeping Earth's human survivors from fleeing in their spaceships. You have reached the corrupted control tower. Starting high above the ground, you must circle the tower, entering each of the four doors to progress, Unfortunately, barriers force you to travel only one direction around the circle. You'll need to make one full loop, then three more loops 3/4 of the way around, battling reinforcing monsters with each loop. After obtaining the red skull key, there will be one final clusterfuck of a battle.

It's playable from a pistol start on Ultra-Violence. The difficulty is probably moderate, with nasty spikes in a few areas. I haven't put on the final level of polish yet, or added scenery to the giant yard surrounding the tower but it's complete. I'd like to know what needs to be changed, what works, and what doesn't work before adding the last level of polish. Feel free to be harsh, I'm honestly not sure if my design choices were good or bad. I strongly recommend using "idmus23" to change the music to the same track used on MAP23, Barrels of Fun, as that fits this level better than the default Map11 music. I'll look into changing that myself in the finished version.

This map was designed to work with ZDoom, although I think the only special actions I used were autosaves, so it should probably work with most ports.

Known issues
I also need to find a reject map editor because there's a bug which lets the center area be seen from the outside. I had to turn a certain enemy facing a different direction to stop them waking up.

Non-issues
The 'O' being always visible on the map is intentional, not a bug.
Blue Key Door - Enemies in multiple rooms being alerted is intentional, not a bug.

Screenshots
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mQSYA0Je0NBIcZEpOP0vnuHwc-7vWoMg/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n8At-vxkSc3VEAcWWUsGa7aakM1TfGJ5/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14aWD8B4husa-nlVrxvZXNdPsJVY2sk_R/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QzWSxKGpkevsF_BDaOx1mZM9Y9T5dD7g/view?usp=sharing

Link to Map: STC_Tower-BETA.zip

I stopped playing in the area with all the half doors.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Cat Mattress posted:

It's funny how you can instantly recognize it's the Build engine. You could recreate this level in GZDoom perfectly and it'd look different.

I think it's the colour palette. In the 256 colour days you had to be choosy and Duke 3D went with a pretty muted selection. The red sector lighting makes it really obvious compared to Doom or Quake which went with very vivid shades of red. From the way it looks, Ion Maiden is going with more or less the same palette as Duke 3D.

Also the way special effects sprites (fire, explosions, blood, etc.) are dynamically scaled is also uniquely Build engine.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

A.o.D. posted:

I stopped playing in the area with all the half doors.

I was afraid that might happen. Partway through designing it, even I thought the section was going on too long. I did put in an abrupt change to a very different style partway through, but it seems that wasn't soon enough.

It's not an excuse, but because I built the level from the center out, I was working with limited space. I tried to make better use of the space in the other areas. Oh well, I guess I'll need to scrap that part and redesign. I assume that it's just not fun in any way, and not just a case of goes on too long.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, did you stop at the part with the door which partly closes when you approach it?

Thanks for your feedback.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 17, 2018

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Pope Guilty posted:

So I like Doom gameplay mods like High Noon Drifter, Heretical Doom, or Contra Doom. What are some others I should check out?

Trailblazer, D4D, final doomer, combined arms

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

I think it's the colour palette. In the 256 colour days you had to be choosy and Duke 3D went with a pretty muted selection. The red sector lighting makes it really obvious compared to Doom or Quake which went with very vivid shades of red. From the way it looks, Ion Maiden is going with more or less the same palette as Duke 3D.

Also the way special effects sprites (fire, explosions, blood, etc.) are dynamically scaled is also uniquely Build engine.

Also the weapon and enemy pallet swaps to match the light when you move into the red sector in the pipe.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 17, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Pope Guilty posted:

Demonsteele

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I was afraid that might happen. Partway through designing it, even I thought the section was going on too long. I did put in an abrupt change to a very different style partway through, but it seems that wasn't soon enough.

It's not an excuse, but because I built the level from the center out, I was working with limited space. I tried to make better use of the space in the other areas. Oh well, I guess I'll need to scrap that part and redesign. I assume that it's just not fun in any way, and not just a case of goes on too long.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, did you stop at the part with the door which partly closes when you approach it?

Thanks for your feedback.

I stopped after the third time I went back to the place where platforms drop on both sides. The main problem is that it's just too much fiddly movement in tight spaces with no real threat or reward. You can get away with doing something like this a couple of times to slow down the pace, but you need to make the way forward clear for it to not be tedious. If you're making a puzzle map, you can get away with more, and if you're using it to hide a secret, you can of course get away with doing it a few times as well. As it's implemented currently, it's just too much tedium in too dense a space.

Also, your map has over 600 enemies on HMP. I wouldn't worry about packing a lot of geometry into the interior. It takes a lot of time to chew through that many enemies.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Today I'm going to do something different. I'm going to basically livejournal my attempts to learn some things about doom editing.

First, let's start off with a scene as it appears in Doombuilder.

Ignore the black on the left, that's just the draw distance limit in the 1st person editor mode. Gosh, look at those untextured walls. What does that look like in game?

Huh, pretty good, actually. The skybox extends all the way to the textured floors and walls. Note that the mesa in the background is a part of the sky box. But that's GL mode. What does this look like in software?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyrJUKC3L-U

Now I've got to figure out how to fix this.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

If I'm understanding your problem correctly, that's an easy fix. If you make a sector with the ceiling height equal to the floor height, with the ceiling sky texture as sky, any wall it shares with other sectors will look like sky. So add a sector adjoining that big open area and make its floor height and ceiling height equal to the floor of the open area, make the ceiling texture sky, and it will look right.

edit: You should never have a visible textureless wall anywhere because it will look wrong in software and can look wrong in OpenGL.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 17, 2018

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
If you look underneath the crosshairs in the next image, you'll see that the hall of mirrors effect is gone. The skybox is showing correctly, both for the playable area and the skybox itself.

How did I accomplish this, and what was the problem in the first place?

First, I had to slope the ceiling to meet the floor.

Since the renderer doesn't distort the skybox no matter what angle it's drawn at, sloping the ceiling doesn't cause and distortions. Not bad!

However, for this to work, I had to also do it in the skybox zone, like so:

In the GL renderer, none of this mattered, because for some reason the GL engine extends the skybox into untextured walls. If I want to support software mode, then I have to ensure that no untextured area is visible to the player. I COULD make a pass through the map and do this, or I could just say in the .txt file that this map supports GL render only.

Don't ask what Softpoly render modes see. It's unspeakable and I have no idea how to fix it.

edit: oh hey the ceiling height= floor thing works too, and it's a lot faster.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 17, 2018

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

That's one way to do it I guess, though I would have stuck with the classical way of doing it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Man, there's so much poo poo I don't know about doing this.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Well hey, it's a good learning experience.

By the way, you can pull off fancier effects than that with the sky rendering behaviour. In E1M1, the entrance to the blue armour courtyard, the wall it's connected to, and the walls of the main level building all have different apparent heights because of this effect.

You can see that the sector geometry isn't very complex either.

In those cases the floor and ceiling height are not the same.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I've just discovered that in software mode, distance fog only works with lower light levels, completely destroying the effects I'm trying to create.

I am going to drop any attempt at software rendering support.

edit: and apparently distance fog replaces light levels in software. Yeah, that's not going to work.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 17, 2018

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

A.o.D. posted:

I stopped after the third time I went back to the place where platforms drop on both sides. The main problem is that it's just too much fiddly movement in tight spaces with no real threat or reward. You can get away with doing something like this a couple of times to slow down the pace, but you need to make the way forward clear for it to not be tedious. If you're making a puzzle map, you can get away with more, and if you're using it to hide a secret, you can of course get away with doing it a few times as well. As it's implemented currently, it's just too much tedium in too dense a space.

Also, your map has over 600 enemies on HMP. I wouldn't worry about packing a lot of geometry into the interior. It takes a lot of time to chew through that many enemies.

You're only required to pass through that point three times, and you're almost done with the narrow hallway section, and the next part of the puzzle is relatively straightforward. But that doesn't matter, I've already started a redesigned area in that section. I guess I should have gone back to the drawing board the moment I started having doubts. I also have doubts about whether the Yellow Key door section is fun. It plays out much differently, but might also feel too repetitive.

High enemy counts in my levels are usually for cases which require passing through the same area multiple times. In this case, the vast majority of the enemies are actually reinforcements which show up as you circle the tower. It wouldn't be all that interesting to circle the tower over and over if you killed everything the first time.

Often a significant fraction of the enemies naturally fall to infighting. You aren't going to need to kill all 600 yourself. Plus, over 100 of that count are Zombiemen, the weakest enemies in the game. EDIT: Oh, and I haven't finished adjusting the monster count for difficulty, so it will be a little less on HMP.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 17, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A.o.D. posted:

If you look underneath the crosshairs in the next image, you'll see that the hall of mirrors effect is gone. The skybox is showing correctly, both for the playable area and the skybox itself.

How did I accomplish this, and what was the problem in the first place?

First, I had to slope the ceiling to meet the floor.

Since the renderer doesn't distort the skybox no matter what angle it's drawn at, sloping the ceiling doesn't cause and distortions. Not bad!

However, for this to work, I had to also do it in the skybox zone, like so:

In the GL renderer, none of this mattered, because for some reason the GL engine extends the skybox into untextured walls. If I want to support software mode, then I have to ensure that no untextured area is visible to the player. I COULD make a pass through the map and do this, or I could just say in the .txt file that this map supports GL render only.

Don't ask what Softpoly render modes see. It's unspeakable and I have no idea how to fix it.

edit: oh hey the ceiling height= floor thing works too, and it's a lot faster.

Instead of sloping the sky, learn how to use Line_Horizon.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

I did not know about this, and I can probably use it to good effect in certain circumstances, but it doesn't look right if I use it on this map. Thanks for bringing this up!

( I spent about 10 minutes playing around with it)

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

ponzicar posted:

If any of you remember Lucasarts' Outlaws, it's now on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/559620/Outlaws__A_Handful_of_Missions/

It's a forgotten gem of the genre, which I think was due to it being a 2.5d fps released shortly after everyone started the switch to 3d.

The shooting is solid, it has a great Morricone inspired spaghetti western soundtrack, and animated cutscenes that give it a lot more character than the other fps games of its time.

I played through Dark Forces this year, so this is a good followup. Any gotchas or things to know about before playing?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

ponzicar posted:

Huh, it looks like they may have actually updated it instead of doing the usual old barely-working CD rip.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it's probably the same version that came out on gog a while back

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Don't know. I have the GoG version and it doesn't look that smooth.

Edit: Bought it. It's 400MB. Don't see much difference between the versions. Runs at a smooth 60 frames. Can't tell if some of the lines in the screen are tearing or just how surfaces look when you run past them.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 17, 2018

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Cat Mattress posted:

This is one of my favourite special effects added in source ports even though it's fairly narrowly applicable.

edit: I spent some time on a bullet hell themed arena map taking place in a creepy dark desert using line horizons on the edge to extend it into infinity with AR-style effects showing teleporter status (red inactive, blue active when all enemies are dead) and when you're close, the zone boundaries show in green.

I was thinking of revisiting it when I have more time but I'm not sure how well it was working out gameplay wise.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

pairofdimes posted:

I played through Dark Forces this year, so this is a good followup. Any gotchas or things to know about before playing?

It's pretty straightforward. Only thing I can think of is to not forget that some items that act as keys, such as a shovel, will need to be manually activated when you're near the patch of dirt that it's used on.