Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That’s way longer than 15 hours my guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
There is literally nothing you can do that will make that experience enjoyable

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

sellouts posted:

That’s way longer than 15 hours my guy

I sat next to a lady in AA first class DFW-MCO. It was her last leg of PER-SYD-DFW-MCO. She said she had been traveling for 30 hours already at that point :v:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I neglected to mention that I have 8-9 hours in Sydney on Saturday before the SYD-PER leg. Ostensibly, do something in city or more likely, find a bed somewhere.

Looking forward to seeing an emotional support wallaby on a flight. Or emotional support drop bear.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

nikosoft posted:

eating a stale sandwich while crouched on the floor between a Best Buy kiosk and the men's restroom.

This describes the ORD experience to a tee.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Once you’re on three layovers suicide is preferable

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
As a frequent lurker of this thread, I want to thank whoever recommended Hard Eight BBQ in Dallas. Stopped there for lunch on my way to DFW and ate a ridiculous amount of delicious meat and sides. Now I'm slightly nauseous but utterly contented. Awesome recommendation, it was one of the highlights of my trip.

The next question is how many times my flight back to SFO will be delayed due to air traffic restrictions caused by the apocalyptic smoke. (We're currently only delayed 30 minutes, but I'm skeptical we won't get booted further back in line.)

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I really don’t get how people care about food options and amenities more than “has functional layout” “is close to city” “has good access to transit and rental cars” “doesn’t take 5000 years to pick someone up”

Food options is some infrequent traveler poo poo

Ok in that case DCA rocks because it takes me 10 min to get there from my house in SW DC. And I am hardly an infrequent traveler, I just like my food, particularly if I have to spend most of the day on airplanes.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 16, 2018

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

drgitlin posted:

Ok in that case DCA rocks because it takes me 10 min to get there from my house in SW DC. And I am hardly an infrequent traveler, I just like my food, particularly if I have to spend most of the day on airplanes.

I got delayed once and landed at SFO late when the tram had shut down for maintenance. There was one bus for the rental car place and the person was on break for the first 30 min I was waiting. Someone hustled off the bus and got in line in front of me for the car. She asks at some point “what’s covered under the supplemental liability?”

:ese:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

drgitlin posted:

DCA is pretty accessible by anything except cars.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

DCA is pretty accessible by anything except cars.

I only ever take a Lyft there, which is a car?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

the worst airports are the ones that involve inexplicable tasks, like toronto pearson where they send you on a 2km from gate to immigration when landing from the usa. or denver where the only way to your gate is that stupid train

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Traveling to Paris with my girlfriend and she didn't finish packing last night, left work at 3, home at 3.30 and left for the airport at 4. We live on south beach and she needs to get to FTL during Friday rush hour traffic. Our international flight departs at 7.15, check in closes at 6.15 and her ETA if everything goes well is 6.

*sigh* why is she like this. loving casual flyers and women.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Waroduce posted:

Traveling to Paris with my girlfriend and she didn't finish packing last night, left work at 3, home at 3.30 and left for the airport at 4. We live on south beach and she needs to get to FTL during Friday rush hour traffic. Our international flight departs at 7.15, check in closes at 6.15 and her ETA if everything goes well is 6.

Thanks, I just had a panic attack by proxy!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Waroduce posted:

I've seen this one before. When she doesn't show up at the gate and you board without her you get to find a new girlfriend in Paris.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

drgitlin posted:

I only ever take a Lyft there, which is a car?

I guess it's just rental cars then, where you have to loop around the garage several times in ever-decreasing concentric loops until you can actually return the fucker.

scrammysaur
Dec 27, 2013

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Waroduce posted:

loving casual flyers and women.

Yeah men have never cut it close getting to the airport

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Waroduce posted:

I dated a French girl like this - I’m usually at least 2 hours early for flights, she insisted on strolling in at the last minute. We never would have gotten along long term.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
We've been together for 3 years and I'm breaking up with her when we get back. I can't live my life like this anymore.

AMA about my life.

At security at 6PM. She is hoping bc she's on my itinerary TSA pre applies to her.

E: lmao the flight is delayed till 8. God truly smiles on some

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
She is 8lbs over the weight limit and being charged "omg something like 55$, for it!!'

Thank you for reading

E: her friends think I'm proposing on this trip.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

this is why PIT is so tragic because you can tell it would have been a p dece airport if it had remained a hub but welp

so now it’s nice but only because it’s *way* overbuilt

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
lol @ arriving at the airport before boarding time.

Rex-Goliath posted:

this is why PIT is so tragic because you can tell it would have been a p dece airport if it had remained a hub but welp

so now it’s nice but only because it’s *way* overbuilt

I remember growing up in Pittsburgh during the glory days of USAir. It's so sad now.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I'm close enough to the airport that I am down to 55 minutes from getting out of bed to the gate, with a shower and coffee stop. It's glorious.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Residency Evil posted:

lol @ arriving at the airport before boarding time.

I remember growing up in Pittsburgh during the glory days of USAir. It's so sad now.

I was on a 3 person flight to ORD the other day. I was like, was the flight cancelled? Because I got there at 10 min til boarding and there was no plane and no one else.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

porkface posted:

I'm close enough to the airport that I am down to 55 minutes from getting out of bed to the gate, with a shower and coffee stop. It's glorious.

I did 90 minutes from bed in A2 to DTW on my trip home after Irma because I overslept. Had just barely enough time to gas up the rental, return it, and poo poo on the Sky Club.

And then when I got back home the elevators and A/C were out (for a week and a few hours, respectively).

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
Usually I aim for 45 minutes before boarding since I have to check my equipment. My current record however was 8 minutes before boarding. I try to give myself a little more slack.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
God I feel bad for you guys who have to travel with checked bags. gently caress that it's such a time sink. I just need my laptop, sometimes a projector. Only time I check is if I get made equipment bitch for a conference

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

e:^ I try to avoid checked bags whenever possible, but when you're traveling to 3 countries over 2 weeks it's kind of hard to do.

the talent deficit posted:

the worst airports are the ones that involve inexplicable tasks, like toronto pearson where they send you on a 2km from gate to immigration when landing from the usa. or denver where the only way to your gate is that stupid train

Hoooooold on!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cacafuego posted:

I dated a French girl like this - I’m usually at least 2 hours early for flights, she insisted on strolling in at the last minute. We never would have gotten along long term.

How do you survive as a frequent traveler if you insist on two hours good Lord

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Charles De Gaul seems nice. First experience but I'm a fan

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

Waroduce posted:

CDG's announcement tone always kind of wierded me out though. It sounds like a ghost to me, just something about it would always bother me. https://youtu.be/0Dxh_Vxq_40

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Waroduce posted:

O_o

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

psydude posted:

e:^ I try to avoid checked bags whenever possible, but when you're traveling to 3 countries over 2 weeks it's kind of hard to do.

I have absolutely no problem doing that with a carrymax rollaboard and backpack. And just did a few weeks ago.

You need to up your packing and hotel laundry game.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Motronic posted:

I have absolutely no problem doing that with a carrymax rollaboard and backpack. And just did a few weeks ago.

You need to up your packing and hotel laundry game.

I end up going from like Norway to Singapore, so I end up having to pack clothes for two different seasons. Throw in Japan where you need various combinations of sport coats and suits and it's a bit much. If I were staying in the same season and just meeting with technical people then I could probably pull it off.

psydude fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 17, 2018

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I like CDG cause I enjoyed the little walkways and like satellite terminal system they use and identifying the bus we needed to take was very easy to find.

Didn't rent a car or anything.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I know, right?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CDG main terminals for airfrance are nice but getting between them sucks rear end

gently caress the jaune navette

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Me too

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
So the crowne plaza neilly(?) in France is real nice. The rooms are ok but I got like 3 free drink vouchers and a bottle of wine sent to the room for some reason. They also included the minibar so that's pretty dope. Apparently it's near a hospital so they have arabs come in and stay there when they receive treatment and there were a bunch of pilots too.

Flying out of ORLY into Marrakech now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Waroduce posted:

aren't casual fliers the ones who show up early?

If you don't miss at least 2 flights a year you're arriving too early. I often am still in Manhattan when I get the push notification that my flight is boarding.