Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I expected the dance to be good.

I did not expect it to be that good.

I am liking part 5 a LOT more than when I read it

god drat that dance was loving perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

what the gently caress was that dance interlude, this part is very good

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I don't even know what the gently caress that was, but it was amazing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's advanced interrogation tactics

pay attention!!!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
they tortured a man by unzipping his head from his body and tying him to a pole by stabbing a fishhook through his eyelid so they could burn his cornea.

then they took a break from the torture with a choregraphed and clearly rehearsed dance routine

ya know, teen stuff

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Goddamn David went loving above and beyond with that dance. We’re not worthy

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

BaDandy posted:

I love how as soon as he's partnered with Mista, who veers a little bit from his plan by taking a lunch break, Giorno immediately gets mad and flustered before being told no. Listen. Mista has to feed his Bullet Gremlins.

I love that it's not even just him pulling out a hunk of meat or something, but instead carries a tablecloth, wine, wineglass, etc with him.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

BaDandy posted:

I love how as soon as he's partnered with Mista, who veers a little bit from his plan by taking a lunch break, Giorno immediately gets mad and flustered before being told no. Listen. Mista has to feed his Bullet Gremlins.

Following this, I like that Giorno immediately stops complaining as soon as he realizes that its Stand Bullshit and not Mista just loving with him.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Astro Ambulance posted:

Following this, I like that Giorno immediately stops complaining as soon as he realizes that its Stand Bullshit and not Mista just loving with him.

https://twitter.com/liquidsiren/status/1063565703901585408

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I love that Abbachio would die before letting Giorno see his Stand but Mista is just "Giorno, come join me for lunch, have you met my six wonderful children. They help me kill super well"

I also forget if Mista can see through Sex Pistols eyes, when he reunites with 1 and 2 after shooting the dude in the leg, they tell Mista where they got him which I thought was neat.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

I love that Abbachio would die before letting Giorno see his Stand but Mista is just "Giorno, come join me for lunch, have you met my six wonderful children. They help me kill super well"

I also forget if Mista can see through Sex Pistols eyes, when he reunites with 1 and 2 after shooting the dude in the leg, they tell Mista where they got him which I thought was neat.

I bet he can. I know this is Jojo and "Stand Rules" are only consistent in one thing - being broken - but Jotaro could see through the eyes of Star Platinum using binoculars. I bet that 1 and 2 tell him because they want to, not cause they need to.

The Dance was amazing. The whole episode was amazing, I especially love how Mista goes "yeah I fired this gun here, so what?" after the dock guy asks him what he did.

Guido Mista, not a known giver of fucks.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Your stand is like your rear end in a top hat, and obviously Mista wants Giorno to see his rear end in a top hat.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Kikas posted:

I bet he can. I know this is Jojo and "Stand Rules" are only consistent in one thing - being broken - but Jotaro could see through the eyes of Star Platinum using binoculars. I bet that 1 and 2 tell him because they want to, not cause they need to.

On the other hand, Polnareff couldn’t see through Chariot’s eyes and needed to use the mirror fragments to fight Ebony Devil.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Dartonus posted:

On the other hand, Polnareff couldn’t see through Chariot’s eyes and needed to use the mirror fragments to fight Ebony Devil.

Yup. It's stand to stand. Most (all?) remote stands don't seem to provide vision and for almost all short range stands it doesn't really come up.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Kakyoin could see through Hierophant Green's eyes, he used it and it's weird body to scout a couple times.

Until the anime clearly refreshes my memory, I'm going to say that Mista can't see what Sex Pistols sees since they're their own thinking entity and it's much cuter that they tell Mista what happened and want praise for it

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hear me out.

Now that we have a Hokuto no Ken reskin of Yakuza.

When do we get a Jojo's Bizarre Adventure reskin of Yakuza? The Jojo fighting games aren't necessarily bad but they somewhat fall short in capturing the weirder stands.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

my favorite part is having no idea what the gently caress is going on because i never read parts 5 and 6

another favorite part is how fugo looks up and turns his head and teleports into the dance line as soon as he can, just "OH poo poo WE'RE DOING THIS"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I would assume that Mista can't see through Sex Pistols. It's mostly an ability for stands without personality, that are more extensions of their user.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Jesus loving Christ the DANCE! The effort put into it really makes my heart shine. I was expecting it to be pretty good, but it blew my expectations out of the fuckin' water!

Futaba Anzu posted:

the original lovely fan translations must have been really lovely because I can't see how anyone could be divisive about part 5

It's almost infuriating to see how nonsensical it looks in comparison to the new translation, I went and found a picture comparing the scene of Polpo going on about his art collection, because its A) anime thread friendly and B) Really shows off the old translation just straight making poo poo up. (How the gently caress did they get to "Buddhist Valley?")

Argas posted:

Hear me out.

Now that we have a Hokuto no Ken reskin of Yakuza.

When do we get a Jojo's Bizarre Adventure reskin of Yakuza? The Jojo fighting games aren't necessarily bad but they somewhat fall short in capturing the weirder stands.
I could see this working out really well considering how some of the sidequests in Yakuza are really off the wall, so imagine the sort of wacky poo poo they could get up to if stands were involved.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Madtrixr posted:

I could see this working out really well considering how some of the sidequests in Yakuza are really off the wall, so imagine the sort of wacky poo poo they could get up to if stands were involved.

Plot twist: None of the side-quests actually involve Stands, but they're still completely batshit insane.
The only one related to Stands is "the gang does to dine at Tonio's" but it's just a cutscene and nothing happens.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Guido Mista, Narancia Ghirga, Bruno Buccellati, Giorno Giovanna, Leone Abbacchio, Pannacotta Fugo.
Guido and Bruno are the most normal names. Leone is fine, even if a bit dated. Fugo is, I hope, the proper name (it is at least similar to a real name, Pannacotta is just a food). Narancia and Giorno are completely nonsense, but Giovanna is the female version of Giovanni, the italian word for John.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I forgot the little bullet lads played football with the bullets

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

YggdrasilTM posted:

Guido and Bruno are the most normal names. Leone is fine, even if a bit dated. Fugo is, I hope, the proper name (it is at least similar to a real name, Pannacotta is just a food). Narancia and Giorno are completely nonsense, but Giovanna is the female version of Giovanni, the italian word for John.

Fugo is his last name. Except for Narancia and Giorno they are all called by their last names.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Mecha posted:

I legit couldn't remember if Mista really does think he's choosing not to speak. The Louvre is not worthy of this scene.

So pumped for this season. I'm pretty sure the end of this fight is where I stopped reading the original lovely translation so after this I'll be nail-biting along with everyone else (outside of some vague reveals I got spoiled on years ago) :allears:

I read it all and it was so forgettable i can't remember most of what happened outside a few fights and the ending. I remember this fight coming up involving a truck but have no idea what the guy's stand power is.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
I read all of part 5 but for all intents and purposes I'm anime-only because of how much just slid right out of my brain, except for some of the most major things. I had no idea the dance was there but ho-lee got that ruled.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

pray for my aunt posted:

I read all of part 5 but for all intents and purposes I'm anime-only because of how much just slid right out of my brain, except for some of the most major things. I had no idea the dance was there but ho-lee got that ruled.

Yeah I read it while part 4 was airing, but I had to wait while the later chapters were being translated properly. So my memories of most stuff is kinda hazy.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

YggdrasilTM posted:

80% of the people we meet in Part 5 are named after food.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

80% of the people we meet in Part 5 are named after food.

I know. But we can at least suppose it's their family name, ("Mario Zucchero", "Leone Abbacchio" and so on)

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Madtrixr posted:

(How the gently caress did they get to "Buddhist Valley?")
Here's my best guess as to how this mistake was made:

1) Van Gogh is written as "Gohho" (ゴッホ) in the Japanese text
2) The Chinese translator then transliterated Gohho into Gu Fo (谷佛). The individual characters used in this translation mean "valley" and "buddha". Incidentally, I can't seem to find any other examples of Van Gogh's name being written like this. Wikipedia has it as either "Fan Gu" or "Fan Gao".
3) The English translator didn't realize "Gu Fo" was a name, and thus misinterpreted "a painting by Gu Fo" as "a painting of a buddhist valley"

However, to actually confirm it one way or the other, you'd have to find the Chinese translation that the bad translators were working off of, and that translation is out of print now, because the company that made it, Daran, went out of business in 2003.

Thirty-Five Minutes
Aug 12, 2007
not a republic serial villain

Daxing Dan posted:

Here's my best guess as to how this mistake was made:

1) Van Gogh is written as "Gohho" (ゴッホ) in the Japanese text
2) The Chinese translator then transliterated Gohho into Gu Fo (谷佛). The individual characters used in this translation mean "valley" and "buddha". Incidentally, I can't seem to find any other examples of Van Gogh's name being written like this. Wikipedia has it as either "Fan Gu" or "Fan Gao".
3) The English translator didn't realize "Gu Fo" was a name, and thus misinterpreted "a painting by Gu Fo" as "a painting of a buddhist valley"

However, to actually confirm it one way or the other, you'd have to find the Chinese translation that the bad translators were working off of, and that translation is out of print now, because the company that made it, Daran, went out of business in 2003.

Van Gogh was translated as 梵谷 (fàn gǔ) in Chinese. The individual characters of the name mean Buddhist/Brahma (梵) and valley (谷).

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Considering all the whimpering Zucchero was doing I like to imagine he totally would have talked had they unzipped his mouth. Like, Buccellati explaining he won't crack while the dude is furiously trying to get someone unzip his mouth so he can rat his friends out.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
That just makes it funnier imho.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Glagha posted:

Considering all the whimpering Zucchero was doing I like to imagine he totally would have talked had they unzipped his mouth. Like, Buccellati explaining he won't crack while the dude is furiously trying to get someone unzip his mouth so he can rat his friends out.
If you look at his mouth, its unzipped a couple notches, enough for him to get a trail of drool going.

He was clearly a hardened criminal who would never relent

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
“Okay, give me a nod when you’re ready to spill it!”
“Still nothing? A tough one, ain’t he.”

(And then they all danced)

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Madtrixr posted:

It's almost infuriating to see how nonsensical it looks in comparison to the new translation, I went and found a picture comparing the scene of Polpo going on about his art collection, because its A) anime thread friendly and B) Really shows off the old translation just straight making poo poo up. (How the gently caress did they get to "Buddhist Valley?")

They mistranslated an Italian dude complaining about tourists not using the Italian name of a Italian city into an Italian dude complaining about tourists not using the French name of an Italian city, if I remember correctly because of one reference to Paris in the rant. They weren't very good.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

What are the odds that the part 5 sub comes up with new good names for all the bad stand names in part 5

Haha j/k I know it’s a zero percent chance and there’ll be a day where I have to listen to some guy shout Zipper Man! out loud

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
So do they ever explain why the Bucciarati gang has a perfectly rehearsed torture dance or is that just something that is never gonna come up again

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So do they ever explain why the Bucciarati gang has a perfectly rehearsed torture dance or is that just something that is never gonna come up again

smh if you don't have a perfectly rehearsed torture dance

CJ posted:

I read it all and it was so forgettable i can't remember most of what happened outside a few fights and the ending. I remember this fight coming up involving a truck but have no idea what the guy's stand power is.

If I had to compared Part 5 to any part, it's closest to Part 3 in terms of execution, but we can see that Araki came up with the idea of how to improve on that type of story.

Giorno's goals thus far are:

- Get into gang. (Done)
- Get Polpo's money to make Bruno capo. (In Progress)
- ???
- Replace the boss as the head of the gang. (In Progress)

As opposed to Stardust Crusaders, where the established goal was "Get to Egypt and kill DIO." with the various Stand battles just being roadblocks in the way.

I remember people complained about Stardust Crusaders being enemy of the week, but I don't think that the problem was so much that it was enemy of the week as it was that there was no real change in dynamics. I mean, hypothetically, if you were to skip from the episode where Jotaro and Co. are like "Let's go to Egypt!" and then go to Episode 1 of Season 2, the only thing you'd really need to explain is that Polnareff joined up with them a few episodes after they left and you'd be up to speed. There's no major incremental goals that they accomplish on the way, like "We need to split up DIO's strongest guys" or something akin to that.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 17, 2018

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baYdiHmdXtM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

someone could feasibly skip at least half of part 3 and possibly not know that they did barring maybe half a second of confusion as to where exactly they are in the world, except half of it is in egypt anyways so even that is suspect