Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Akanesasu Shoujo's OP feels like it's desynced from the video, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elephant Parade posted:

it also removed all impact from sword girl's big sacrifice, lol. though she ended up blind, deaf, and immobile, so if anyone needed healing it was her
That was also kind of a pointless escalation that felt more cartoonish than dramatic imo. Like it went from 'woah, that's actually a really cool twist' to just ridiculous when the girls were doing the whole falling petals thing four times a fight. It felt like it mostly happened just for shock value, since the writers would have known they were hitting the reset button at the end.

I would have been fine with hospital room girl getting healed since she wasn't a main character but there's no real reason you couldn't have made the big sacrifice play just 'she's blind' or 'she's deaf' and then show the girls happy even with the things they'd inflicted on themselves with their powers. It'd be a way bigger 'gently caress you' to the systems that had tried to destroy them to be happy in spite of that.

Even ignoring the whole ableism dimension of it, it just felt like really cowardly writing, it robbed a lot of the humanity from the story. Say what you will about Madoka, it wasn't afraid to leave things in messy or awkward places, which made it feel more like the writing was about actually exploring how these characters would react to these situations. Yuuki Yuuna's ending just makes it feel like 'woah isnt this hosed up? haha just kidding'

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Endorph posted:

the anime sucked. the visual novel was legitimately really funny and had a good sense of camaraderie between the big group of friends at its center. the protagonist was even pretty likable since his entire shtick was that he was friendly to everyone because his school is a dumb shonen thing where everyone has a unique talent, so he just wanted everyone to be his friends so he could call on them for favors if their talent would come in handy, which is kind of a funny shtick.

it wasn't like, a goldmine or underappreciated gem or anything, it was just 'what if a harem romcom had jokes that actually landed,' but that made it fun for me.
What I mostly remember about Majikoi is that the core cast of characters was more or less pretty universally good across all routes, but the actual individual girl routes had a very wide arrange of quality. IIRC Wanko/Kazuko was my favorite one, I was really looking forward to Momoyo's who would up being a little eh but still mostly solid, and the final "this is the true end" route being silly in a way that wasn't all that fun.

The sequel VN got translated, I wonder if that's worth checking out.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I don't think it's ableist for Yuuki Yuna's story to go 'it sure sucks to lose your voice right after figuring out your dream is to be a singer' or 'if you keep fighting you'll lose most of your bodily functions and limbs and btw you don't have a choice of fighting or not' or 'being tricked into crippling yourself and then tossed aside like garbage is a lovely thing to have happen to you'. Its not ableist to say that getting crippled is a bad thing to happen to someone.

I personally found it a creative and horrifying way to inject stakes into the story without resorting to murdering characters. Nor did the story having the gall to have a happy ending ruin it for me. It already showed that you can recover and have a happy life with a disability, giving the girls a reward for their sacrifices doesn't change that.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Nov 15, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It is ableist to present disability as pure victimhood and suggest the only way out is to be magically healed in a way that doesn't exist in real life.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nephthys posted:

I don't think it's ableist for Yuuki Yuna's story to go 'it sure sucks to lose your voice right after figuring out your dream is to be a singer' or 'if you keep fighting you'll lose most of your bodily functions and limbs and btw you don't have a choice of fighting or not' or 'being tricked into crippling yourself and then tossed aside like garbage is a lovely thing to have happen to you'. Its not ableist to say that getting crippled is a bad thing to happen to someone.

I personally found it a creative and horrifying way to inject stakes into the story without resorting to murdering characters. Nor did the story having the gall to have a happy ending ruin it for me. It already showed that you can recover and have a happy life with a disability, giving the girls a reward for their sacrifices doesn't change that.
'the story having the gall to have a happy ending,' lol what. Dude I literally said that I wanted the ending to be happy and for them to still have their disabilities. The fact that you think these two things are incompatible is the thing I'm calling ableist. It's not ablelist to present being forced into a wheelchair as a bad thing, it's ableist to present that magically getting fixed as the only path to a truly happy ending.

And considering that togo and fuu both go insane and try to kill everyone else I don't really think the show was presenting anything as 'they're living happy lives like this!'

Endorph fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 15, 2018

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Fangz posted:

It is ableist to present disability as pure victimhood and suggest the only way out is to be magically healed in a way that doesn't exist in real life.

Yeah but thats not what it does. Togo is a great portrayal of someone wheelchair-bound living a fulfilling life. The show actually does a fantastic job of presenting her situation positively and her and Yuna's relationship is incredibly supportive and positive. Not to mention that after the characters initially start losing senses, while they are sad, they do carry on and start to learn how to live like that. Its only when the stakes start getting to "bedbound for life" levels does the plot need to give them a way out of that.

Endorph posted:

'the story having the gall to have a happy ending,' lol what. Dude I literally said that I wanted the ending to be happy and for them to still have their disabilities. The fact that you think these two things are incompatible is the thing I'm calling ableist. It's not ablelist to present being forced into a wheelchair as a bad thing, it's ableist to present that magically getting fixed as the only path to a truly happy ending.

And considering that togo and fuu both go insane and try to kill everyone else I don't really think the show was presenting anything as 'they're living happy lives like this!'

See above. The show never says that you can't live happily with a disability. TBH one of my favorite things about the show was its portrayal of Togo. It was really refreshing to see a show present a disabled character with that much respect and thought. Its simply that the way the plot escalates makes it so that the characters can either get a way out or have an incredibly depressing ending. Togo would have been happy to end up still in the wheelchair because she was happy in it for the entire show.

Fuu goes nuts because she was tricked into crushing her own sisters dreams and Togo goes nuts because she finds out all of reality is a lie and they're going to be used to fight until they end up as quadriplegics and then discarded. I understand your point but I think you're just presenting things in an unfair light towards the show and ignoring a lot of goddamn context.

(Also Togo needed to be able to walk so that they could pull off the incredibly heartbreaking reversal of her wheeling around Yuna while shes braindead. I actually freaking cried at that point.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

My point is that things getting to 'bedbound for life' levels was a pointless, cartoonish escalation that existed entirely because they were going into the show with the idea that they'd all be cured at the end. It's not as if they were forced to push things to that extent, and considering how much sheer joy the show focuses on Togo having when she's 'fixed, 'it's pretty clear that none of the things you're talkin about are things they actually intended. The reason Togo is happy at the start is so she can be miserable later and then be fixed, because the show's written like a video game horror story.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

You know that's probably why I had issues with season 1 and was only mostly okay with it at the end. That and you could also tell it was leaning a bit into nationalism when it was pretty clear duty to the Shinju was what cause things to go bad too...

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

esselfortium posted:

It has been some spectacularly fun Dumb Anime, for sure. I love how silly it's letting itself get with character concepts like "what if we had doppelgangers from a spaghetti-western universe?" just being there as part of the main cast now.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'm only two episodes in but if episode quality holds, I think zombie idols will be joining Nichijou, Boy Nichijou, and Konosuba on my list of funniest anime.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 16, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jon Joe posted:

I'm only two episodes in but if episode quality holds, I think zombie idols will be joining Nichijou, Boy Nichijou, and Konosuba on my list of funniest anime.
That's a pretty darn good list. If you want to further discuss it, you can do it here or we have a thread for it. :)

Once the newest episode is out, discussion might include the latest episode's, so just be careful.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Endorph posted:

My point is that things getting to 'bedbound for life' levels was a pointless, cartoonish escalation that existed entirely because they were going into the show with the idea that they'd all be cured at the end. It's not as if they were forced to push things to that extent, and considering how much sheer joy the show focuses on Togo having when she's 'fixed, 'it's pretty clear that none of the things you're talkin about are things they actually intended. The reason Togo is happy at the start is so she can be miserable later and then be fixed, because the show's written like a video game horror story.

See, you're just phrasing things as badly as possible. If you have an issue with the plot structure that's no problem, but it's also not ableist. It isn't pointless either considering the whole plot and the tension built for the back half of the anime is based around it. Very effectively as well.

And please, she's written as happy being in a wheelchair because the show goes out of its way to show life with a disability as perfectly manageable. If you think a character being happy that she can walk again is ableist then honestly dude, you're jumping to conclusions. Was it ableist when Sayaka healed that dudes hands in Madoka?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nephthys posted:

If you think a character being happy that she can walk again is ableist
that isnt the thing im calling ableist, the thing im calling ableist is the writers' decision to put that in the show

if life with a disability is perfectly manageable, then why did the writers have her be healed

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Nephthys posted:

Was it ableist when Sayaka healed that dudes hands in Madoka?

That plot point was ableist yes, but it was a pretty small element of the story and confused by the fact that the show spent a lot of time making the case that healing Kyosuke (and magical intervention in general) was a naive and selfish mistake. If Madoka was *about* Kyosuke being unhappy and then getting magically healed and it's great, then that element would be much more prominent and problematic.

EDIT: VVV true, but my point is that the general negativity around that whole thing makes a difference

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 16, 2018

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the mistake wasn’t healing a violinist thst got his life ruined but healing someone that doesn’t care about you and expecting him to love you

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah the kyosuke thing is a pretty different plotpoint on a number of levels, you can't really compare the two at all. Even if it had been played straight as a good thing Kyosuke still wouldn't be a major character whose disability got any real focus outside of Sayaka's thoughts on it.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Fangz posted:

That plot point was ableist yes, but it was a pretty small element of the story and confused by the fact that the show spent a lot of time making the case that healing Kyosuke (and magical intervention in general) was a naive and selfish mistake.

the final episode literally has a scene where ghost Madoka and Sayaka sit down at Kyousuke's concert recital and Madoka goes "I could've saved your life in the new world but then your wish wouldn't come true" and Sayaka goes, "yeah, that's cool lol" and they listen to him perform.

The entire crux of the series is that the girls weren't wrong to make their wishes—it wasn't 'naive' or a 'mistake'—and that's why Madoka crushes Kyuubey's system. In the new world, the girls make their wishes, but they don't succumb to the despair afterwards that tarnishes what they fought for (what the grief seeds represent).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Space Flower posted:

the final episode literally has a scene where ghost Madoka and Sayaka sit down at Kyousuke's concert recital and Madoka goes "I could've saved your life in the new world but then your wish wouldn't come true" and Sayaka goes, "yeah, that's cool lol" and they listen to him perform.

The entire crux of the series is that the girls weren't wrong to make their wishes—it wasn't 'naive' or a 'mistake'—and that's why Madoka crushes Kyuubey's system. In the new world, the girls make their wishes, but they don't succumb to the despair afterwards that tarnishes what they fought for (what the grief seeds represent).

Yes. *The Final Episode*. See what Endorph said.

I said the context of the plot point in the show confuses the issue so it's not really seen as ableist because we're too focused on the question of Sayaka. The question of whether Kyosuke is healed becomes a question of Sayaka's agency and motivations and the whole question of Kyosuke and what is and isn't a healthy way to deal with his disability and how he is treated due to it is basically skipped over with all the other stuff happening.

Objectively Sayaka dying so Kyosuke can get magically healed is pretty hosed up (and annoys a lot of people, including me) but the defense the show offers is basically that it's what Sayaka wants, and by dying she sort of 'proves' her wish was not in fact selfish.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 16, 2018

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Help, I'm trapped in a fortune cookie factory anime studio.

https://twitter.com/RocketNews24En/status/1063446652298645504?s=19

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

a kitten posted:

:rip: those poor animators.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

a kitten posted:

Oh my god

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The JoJo anime has literally never been better and there's never been a better time to start watching it then with the new season

https://twitter.com/Z_TDF/status/1063468097531596800

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

a kitten posted:

Does Japanese media actually have an equivalent to Alan Smithee? If not then I guess they do now.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Does Japanese media actually have an equivalent to Alan Smithee? If not then I guess they do now.
Hajime Yatate for Sunrise and Izumi Todo for Toei Animation. As with a lot of things from Japan, there is wordplay to be found, too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wark Say posted:

Hajime Yatate for Sunrise and Izumi Todo for Toei Animation. As with a lot of things from Japan, there is wordplay to be found, too.

Not to mention that damnable Hatte Saburo for Toei's tokusatsu.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
drat, I guess I need to watch more Toku... which Gridman appears to be successfully coercing me into, now that I think about it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wark Say posted:

drat, I guess I need to watch more Toku... which Gridman appears to be successfully coercing me into, now that I think about it.

Join us

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Not quite the same as Alan Smithee though since Toei and Sunrise used them to hide staff not cause Staff were embarrassed by the work.

Although given the internet everybody knows who works on Toei and Sunrise shows now so the pen names don't even work anymore!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

How is Dr Stone? It only ever pops up in my feeds with ridiculous cheesecake poses so I have no idea what it's actually about.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Kwyndig posted:

How is Dr Stone? It only ever pops up in my feeds with ridiculous cheesecake poses so I have no idea what it's actually about.

quote:

Typical student Taiju tells his science-loving friend Senku that he is finally about to announce to Yuzuriha, that he has secretly been in love with her for five years. Meeting under a camphor tree on the school grounds, just as Taiju is about to confess, a bright light appears in the sky. Taiju pushes Yuzuriha to the tree to protect her, but the light suddenly petrifies all of humanity, with every human on Earth turning into stone. Most humans begin to lose their consciousness while all traces of civilization decay, but Taiju keeps his alive as the years progress by his motivation of freeing both himself and Yuzuriha. Eventually, Taiju breaks free from the stone and finds a message carved into the tree that leads him to discover the Senku has also escaped from stone, keeping his consciousness alive by counting how long he has been petrified. Thus Taiju learns that the date is now October 5th, 5738.

Together, Taiju and Senku begin to rebuild civilization using Senku's scientific knowledge. They create nital; a corrosive solvent that destroys the stone casing on people. At first, they plan to free Yuzuriha, but when the two are attacked by lions that have escaped from zoos and bred in Japan over the centuries, they instead release someone that Taiju recognizes as Tsukasa Shishio, "The Strongest Primate High Schooler", who uses his strength to kill the lions. Later they make more nital to free Yuzuriha as well, but Senku discovers that during Tsukasas childhood he was brutally beaten by an adult while he was collecting seashells for his sister undergoing surgery; due to the man believing since he had the fishing rights for the region Tsukasa was stealing the seashells. Thus giving Tsukasa a mindset that only the "pure young-hearted people" should be revived, and thus Tsukasa starts destroying and the petrified adults. Thus two rival clans form: Senku's Kingdom of science, and Tsukasa's empire.

In short post-apocalypse science story.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It's very good, the artist is just kinda thirsty. Mostly it's about using science to reinvent the steam engine and punch your enemies in the balls.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

It's inoffensive barring anything to do with female characters and I can definitely see why people like it. But the women were a bit too 'damsel-but-see-she-gets-to-contribute-a-little-so-it's-fine' for my tastes and the story being 'genius guy knows all the science while everyone else is a caveman' felt a bit too nerds vs jocks even for me, a certified nerd. At least the guy was established as a genius unlike so many other stories where modern people are sent back in time and suddenly remembers everything they ever learned about engineering and chemistry perfectly and can apply it with medieval/ancient/whatever tools

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Just got to episode 4 of Bunny Girl Senpai and was thinking a few minutes in, "man, this is pretty interesting, giving off a kind of Haruhi vibe, even that cat looks like Shamisen," and then the newscaster comes on again... :)

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

'genius guy knows all the science while everyone else is a caveman' felt a bit too nerds vs jocks even for me, a certified nerd

For what it's worth, he seems to be all into when others want to get involved too. It just doesn't help when he's been the lone person from the modern era in a village of people from the post-apocalyptic stone age for a good chunk of the arc. Though, I can't say it's gotten any better with the female characters either. To call the artist thirsty is a bit of an understatement at times and I kinda hope that gets toned down a bit in the anime.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah, judging from that poster above I wouldn't even have guessed that the male designs and female designs were even from the same series.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

CrashScreen posted:

To call the artist thirsty is a bit of an understatement

boichi in a nutshell lmao

If you're interested in reading something he's drawn (& written) that's somewhat lighter on the fanservice check out Origin where he spends way more time lovingly rendering a nude male robot than drawing panty shots (they're still there just way less).

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Expect My Mom posted:

The JoJo anime has literally never been better and there's never been a better time to start watching it then with the new season

https://twitter.com/Z_TDF/status/1063468097531596800

That episode, especially that scene definitely got me a whole lot more interested. I love JoJo’s and seeing that funky almost trip like scene has me excited to see if there’s gonna be more like that. If so, it’s definitely going to shoot to one my favourites seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ugh my god the AA anime hit the trial that I hate the most in the trilogy, the fake Phoenix trial

I hope they don't spend too long on this one