Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Kaethela posted:

I'd be down for a goon league with interesting rules/constraints.

Initial dumb idea: all cards are limit 1 per deck. No duplicates allowed.

Shockeh posted:

The amount of downing on the NISEI changes really is kinda amazing; I'm pretty much on board with everything, except maybe losing some TD cards that I'd like to see stay. Some of them are now in Core 3.0 though, so I've not had chance to really get my head around which ones I perceive 'missing' yet.

The only Weyland card they kept was Hortum. They did not keep a single Shaper card. Count me in among those down on the NISEI changes, as I've lost any interest in their formats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
Yeah that's sad and all but my large adult blue son is back with OAI and some new tricks so I'm not really gonna miss Hailstorm or whatever. Also two of those Weyland cards were Skorpios and Hunter-Seeker.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Kaethela posted:

I'd be down for a goon league with interesting rules/constraints.

We count the number of decks on netrunnerdb contain any given card, and assign cards a point price based on how popular it is. Then when building your deck, you have a limited number of points to spend “buying” cards.

You could also spend points to “buy” a larger starting hand of cards, larger starting credit pool, etc.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

CirclMastr posted:

Initial dumb idea: all cards are limit 1 per deck. No duplicates allowed.

HighlanderRunner would be interesting, wonder what the best way to go in that format would be.

CirclMastr posted:

The only Weyland card they kept was Hortum. They did not keep a single Shaper card. Count me in among those down on the NISEI changes, as I've lost any interest in their formats.

They've also signed Geist's death warrant with the removal of Fall Guy (and Dean Lister, to an extent). Hostage existing alongside DJ Fenris is also somewhat questionable, as the latter was in no way designed around the ability to immediately grab it out of your deck.

CodfishCartographer posted:

We count the number of decks on netrunnerdb contain any given card, and assign cards a point price based on how popular it is. Then when building your deck, you have a limited number of points to spend “buying” cards.

You could also spend points to “buy” a larger starting hand of cards, larger starting credit pool, etc.

Buying a larger starting credit pool could be very problematic given that Threat Level Alpha exists. Tagging the runner on the very first turn of the game could get messy very quickly.

Relyssa fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 16, 2018

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

CirclMastr posted:

I'd say aside from Colossus (and that IS a huge loss, admittedly) there isn't any other TD Weyland cards that are important; Skorp maybe, but just like Tagme decks, you could argue it's too binary in it's impact to be worth investing effort into. Shaper I'm more in agreement on, but what important to Shaper play cards even went? The only one widely played was Laguna, and you could argue Laguna encourages bad* 'Install 30 cards, win the game with the Corp on 5pt' rig Shapers anyway.

All the good Criminal cards made it into 3.0, Dean going is loving great (gently caress that card working with Turtle), and Shadow Net was just a better version of the prior equivalents.

I'm more sad for the death of Geist, because I agree he's reliant on Fall Guy; On the other hand, Fall Guy also got used for OCA/Papa/Jarog various flavours of nonsense, so... eeeh...

*Where bad is a byword for 'Does not interact with the game in any meaningful way unless forced to do so.'

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I guess I already don't get to play SSO Industries anymore

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Shockeh posted:

I'd say aside from Colossus (and that IS a huge loss, admittedly) there isn't any other TD Weyland cards that are important; Skorp maybe, but just like Tagme decks, you could argue it's too binary in it's impact to be worth investing effort into. Shaper I'm more in agreement on, but what important to Shaper play cards even went? The only one widely played was Laguna, and you could argue Laguna encourages bad* 'Install 30 cards, win the game with the Corp on 5pt' rig Shapers anyway.
Deep Data Mining, I guess?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 17, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Remind me tonight, I'll throw together a survey about how plausible this is.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Double post: Did it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kaethela posted:

What are the rules changes?

Core 3.0 looks awful, and is further cementing my decision to ignore everything NISEI is doing.

One of the articles mentioned doing some cleaning up and standardization of existing mechanics and definitions, which is mostly good, but also that they're planning deeper changes in the future, which I'm less sanguine about.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Isn't the white guy the guy sitting in the trash can?

can't remember this name for the life of me though, he was the guy who drew a card when you installed one from the trash. Exile?

I stopped playing Netrunner once the NBN deluxe hit and never even tried it. I'm tempted to hoover up the last few cycles to have a completed game. I really like Netrunner, I just burned out on it hard.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Got seven responses so far, and more would be helpful, but it looks like something is happening, at least. Shout out to the one guy who wants to play NISEI and nothing else.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Looking through the NISEI cards list again and I'm loving baffled at one change in particular. Who the gently caress wanted Quest Completed back?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I assume it's for Apocalypse decks, since those seem popular.

More likely it's one person on the NISEI team that likes Quest Completed as a pet card and was salty that it got removed. That's kind of the problem with fan projects, is just because you're a fan of (or even very skilled at) a game, doesn't mean you know how to make it fun. Speaking of which, who all is the NISEI team anyway, do any of them have game design experience?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
So uh, what happens to Jinteki? Will NISEI's stuff be the accepted format or will people be playing Snapshot...?

Personally this is the thing I was most worried about. It's a pretty small fandom at this point essentially, so if one community group rules it then there's not really any room to split and fragment.

Really sad to see Colossus go. Little sad about Underworld Contact, Illegal Arms Factory, and TGTBT as well.

Minera fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 17, 2018

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

More likely it's one person on the NISEI team that likes Quest Completed as a pet card and was salty that it got removed. That's kind of the problem with fan projects, is just because you're a fan of (or even very skilled at) a game, doesn't mean you know how to make it fun. Speaking of which, who all is the NISEI team anyway, do any of them have game design experience?

My understanding is that they're a bunch of pro players with not a lick of game design experience between them, and they only took a woman on when people complained they didn't have any on the team (although to their credit(?) the response was pretty prompt).

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Given that Alice was involved from the very first discussion, I’m just gonna say that is flat out false.

Also the response to play NISEI was me; if it’s going to have a chance, it needs to become recognised quickly as the default format, and that means propagating the concept to other communities like SA.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Catherine Underwood was not on the initial team and was only added after the initial announcement of NISEI. Here's proof.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

Minrad posted:

So uh, what happens to Jinteki? Will NISEI's stuff be the accepted format or will people be playing Snapshot...?

That's up to what people want to play I think. Last I saw they were just planning to add different deck legality tags and talking tweaking the lobby system to be tag-based for formats/casual rather than the two lobbies that leaves one empty most of the time.

And I think the "add a woman" thing was when they had the initial selection committee, the full board that they went on to institute definitely has more than one from what I remember.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

The Deleter posted:

Catherine Underwood was not on the initial team and was only added after the initial announcement of NISEI. Here's proof.
Alright, shall we?

Firstly, that team linked in the proof (heavy air quotes implied) was the selection committee, not the actual NISEI team. The request you were replying to was asking who is the team, and whether they have any game design experience. Secondly, both Alice & Catherine are incredibly strong players who have travelled a lot for the game, and implicating they were added because of a lack of representation is pretty insulting. Thirdly a bunch of the team are either current game designers or prior FFG playtesters.

I mean, sure, let's go down here if you want, but the two main statements originally made:

1. They don't have a lick of game design experience between them and;
2. They 'only' added a woman after the fact in response to outcry.

Are both simply not true.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Fine. I stand corrected. I mistook the initial selection committee for the actual NISEI team and that's where my comments came from.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
All fine, no animosity sought, chill resumes. :glomp:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Thank you. I'm sort of in the middle of a depressive episode or something, and I handle even minor changes pretty badly to begin with, so I was lashing out at people who didn't deserve that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gonna give this until tomorrow, then start figuring out which formats to do and how to set it up.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

I'm fairly confident that these people both know what they're doing, and aren't susceptible to dumb moves like putting a "pet card" back in rotation. The odds that the 'one guy who liked Quest Completed' convinced all the other people to agree to add it back in, while simultaneously the entire team agreed to remove Magnum Opus is laughably small.

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Dull Fork posted:

I'm fairly confident that these people both know what they're doing, and aren't susceptible to dumb moves like putting a "pet card" back in rotation. The odds that the 'one guy who liked Quest Completed' convinced all the other people to agree to add it back in, while simultaneously the entire team agreed to remove Magnum Opus is laughably small.

As an excellent gotcha for six-deep Mti remote bullshit it feels pretty good. I'm just sad I can't combo it with Shadow Net.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009
Hoo boy, the shitlords of the internet found out about Nisei's Code of Conduct and have shat the bed. https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/9yyqy1/gamingnerd_culture_android_netrunners_fanrun/

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

A part of me almost wants to support NISEI just because of that.

Also because there are less than a dozen goons interested in a Snapshot goon league.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

imagine being so buttmad that people playing a dead game don't want to be jerks to each other

i am having trouble imagining a more useless person

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

NISEI has dropped an article with cryptic hints about what cards they're making. The article includes "an homage to two of HB’s most powerful rotated cards, and arguably the most powerful 4/2 agenda HB has ever received". I'm not exactly filled with confidence in their design team after reading this.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ANR has always had a power creep issue, but this is ridiculous.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Kaethela posted:

NISEI has dropped an article with cryptic hints about what cards they're making. The article includes "an homage to two of HB’s most powerful rotated cards, and arguably the most powerful 4/2 agenda HB has ever received". I'm not exactly filled with confidence in their design team after reading this.

Which cards are they referring to here?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I'm sorry but if Lucky Charm is literally a card that can just straight-up cancel other paid abilities, they've clearly gone off the rails in terms of design space. Counterspells belong in Magic, not Netrunner.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Kaethela posted:

It sounds totally ridiculous and I'm going to play it anyway because the idea of a half-dead zombie pirate LCG is great and I'm still more salty than I should be about them pulling the plug.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Some of their pitches sound alright, some of them sound a bit worrying. I like the idea behind Shaper's new icebreaker, but I'm worried about them apparently changing how shaper plays in big ways. Criminal's stuff sounds good and fairly creative, depending on the implementation. NBN's video game theme sounds like it'll be real cringe-worthy. Gatchapon I'm worried about but it does sound very anarch.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

mp5 posted:

Which cards are they referring to here?

Unclear, that was a quote from the article. I'm assuming Friends in High Places is one of them, possibly Estelle Moon/Accelerated Diagnostics? Depends on what sort of power metric they're using.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

There is just no way of knowing what HB card a card called Architect's Oversight in the article could possibly reference I guess.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
They should just re do al the bad HB cards in C&C.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Destrado posted:

There is just no way of knowing what HB card a card called Architect's Oversight in the article could possibly reference I guess.

They specifically mentioned rotated cards, whereas Architect has not rotated. Fairly certain that's not what's being referenced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

Lunar is in their next rotation. Friends was also banned not rotated so :shrug:. I'd say it's either that or Accelerated Beta Test/Diagnostics since they're all top-of-deck effects.