Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

On the one hand, ehhhhh Biden. But on the other, it'd be nice to have a dog in the White House again, and that looks like a very good boy.

E: this entire post is dog tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

CubanMissile posted:

I guess I've never thought about this before, so forgive me if it's a dumb question, but why isn't the the vice presidency a separately electable position? Are there major downsides I'm not considering?

Technically it is, per the 12th Amendment. Before that, the VP was the runner up in the Presidential election, which led to a tie and caused a lot of chaos.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Why the gently caress is he leaning so hard into the "bigly bad forest management" thing? Who gave him that and why?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

“Just go out there and support the first responders, and mourn the victims, okay? Do nothing else, okay? This is an easy peasy photo op, and we can have you out in twenty minutes. Under no circumstances should you imply that you know how to handle forest fires better than the crowd of professionals that are surrounding you.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

GyroNinja posted:

When was the last time a President switched their running mate when running for re-election? It seems like it used to be much more common before ~1950 or so.

Gerald Ford swapped Rockefeller with Bob Dole. But Ford and Rockefeller were never elected.

LBJ feared he would be dropped from the ticket due to a number of reasons. Of course we never know what would have come of that.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

InsertPotPun posted:

Why the gently caress is he leaning so hard into the "bigly bad forest management" thing? Who gave him that and why?

Because someone told him "OK, say 'California' and 'bad forest management' as many times as you can."

He doesn't know or care if there's actually a problem; he was just fed a line by someone and he already hates California because they didn't vote for him in 2016.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

CubanMissile posted:

I guess I've never thought about this before, so forgive me if it's a dumb question, but why isn't the the vice presidency a separately electable position? Are there major downsides I'm not considering?

We do, that is how the constitution is set up and a vote happens every election for that in the electoral college, there is just a really weird standing agreement to just go 'always vote for whoever the winning president picked" in theory trump could say he wants pence and get 100% of the votes and the electoral college could vote for someone totally different and it'd be fine, they just don't ever do that.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

i feel like biden hanging the medal of freedom around george loving bush's neck should disqualify him from any higher office (or even the one he has now)

george w bush, people. we all remember who that is, right?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

“A wonderful flawless two days of executions! No, this mic isn’t on!”

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Ague Proof posted:

Gerald Ford swapped Rockefeller with Bob Dole. But Ford and Rockefeller were never elected.

LBJ feared he would be dropped from the ticket due to a number of reasons. Of course we never know what would have come of that.

Bobby Kennedy I think absolutely would have won the nomination in '68. Yes, I know he was behind when he died but he was gaining ground fast and would have had the momentum of just winning California. Listening to him talk was a lot like listening to Obama 40 years later.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

RaySmuckles posted:

i feel like biden hanging the medal of freedom around george loving bush's neck should disqualify him from any higher office (or even the one he has now)

george w bush, people. we all remember who that is, right?

i weirdly like biden(that being said, i think his time has long past for the reins of power of any kind) its because its all a grand game for people like him at the end of the day.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
sorry the biden/bush posts got me all hot and bothered and i think george w bush should be forced back into the hole he was hiding in until he is brought to answer for the crimes of his administration

which i think is a nice ironic mirroring of the final days of saddam

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

We do, that is how the constitution is set up and a vote happens every election for that in the electoral college, there is just a really weird standing agreement to just go 'always vote for whoever the winning president picked" in theory trump could say he wants pence and get 100% of the votes and the electoral college could vote for someone totally different and it'd be fine, they just don't ever do that.
It's not really a 'weird standing agreement', the electors are 1.) Chosen by the presidential candidate and are usually loyal party faithfuls, and 2.) usually bound to vote for the state's choice by law. So you'd have to get a situation where a party faithful decided to give the election to the other guy, despite breaking the law in their home state.

Which, I mean, I guess if Lex Luthor won but didn't wait until officially taking office to reveal his secret plan to order Cadmus to murder Super-Man, sure. Maybe you'd get a couple of electors to flip.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

RaySmuckles posted:

hmm, i just feel like we all know that money has an inordinate impact on elections and a business friendly, centrist candidate is more likely to be able to accrue the most money? the institutions that would be able to challenge that (unions) seem to have long ago lost their relevance.

sure, bernie could crowdfund his campaign, but that was a much larger pool to draw from and he had considerably more exposure. plus, people are strapped for cash. they could give 27 bucks to bernie but they can't really afford to give 27 bucks to everyone.

it just strikes me as an unfair system because of the reliance on money and obviously institutional power is much better at obtaining and dispersing it.

so saying "well, figure it out!" just sorta strikes me as disingenuous because it seems more like a systemic problem :shrug:

obviously there will always be outliers like AOC but i find it hard to make exceptions become the new rule

Its not disingenuous since it would carry over directly to the general. Republicans are going to get more money. If you know you can't get money, but need money, you either need to figure out something to do to get the money you need, or something that will compensate for a lack of money. Both would help equally in the primary and general. Meanwhile, just screaming that Dems are mean and that leftists deserve to win primaries just for showing up doesn't fix the problem for the general.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
voting for VPs would be weird because the position is so powerless. it seems already hard enough to get people to join the ticket because they have to put the rest of their political career on hold.

plus, wouldn't it oddly incentivize candidates to try and get the president killed, lol? like they have to fight so hard to be back-up president and once you're pot committed...

Fulchrum posted:

Its not disingenuous since it would carry over directly to the general. Republicans are going to get more money. If you know you can't get money, but need money, you either need to figure out something to do to get the money you need, or something that will compensate for a lack of money. Both would help equally in the primary and general. Meanwhile, just screaming that Dems are mean and that leftists deserve to win primaries just for showing up doesn't fix the problem for the general.

i can see where you're going with this and i don't think its entirely wrong.

i think the "something that will compensate for a lack of money" is what people are going for. its an attempt at a cultural/narrative shift which is a valid strategy. trying to shift the narrative or political culture so that dems feel like they should be supporting more progressive candidates is the "something." whether or not that can be or has been successful is obviously up for debate, especially since better funded, centrist dems can muddy the waters more easily with their financial advantages.

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 18, 2018

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Unoriginal Name posted:

If Mueller finds enough dirt to convince a Republican Senate to impeach Trump, there is basically no way Pence isn't also taken down, given that he was the personal choice of a man indicted.

I don't think there's enough evidence in the world that would allow for a Republican Senate to hand over the Presidency to Polesi. Maybe if they backroom deal in a caretaker President, but that seems far to convoluted.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think being third in line is a big deal even if you don't have specific known things that are going to happen to the first two. If trump dies or is impeached then we are one bulging artery wall away from president pelosi. Speaker of the house is a big deal position just for that.

Only if Pence gets a heart attack before selecting a replacement Veep. Chain of succession only matters until we get a new Prez. Prez is allowed to select replacement of their Veep in case of vacancy just like any member of their cabinet. This is how Gerald Ford got in line to replace Nixon and how Ford's Veep was Rockefeller, who was Governor of New York at the time and pretty frickin' far down on the line of succession.

Granted, we've never had to replace both at the same time, but history does tell us otherwise.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

RaySmuckles posted:

i can see where you're going with this and i don't think its entirely wrong.

i think the "something that will compensate for a lack of money" is what people are going for. its an attempt at a cultural/narrative shift which is a valid strategy. trying to shift the narrative or political culture so that dems feel like they should be supporting more progressive candidates is the "something." whether or not that can be or has been successful is obviously up for debate, especially since better funded, centrist dems can muddy the waters more easily with their financial advantages.

Changing the culture would just be getting more people to vote for them, and doesn't require that the party actively rig the system in favor of leftists.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BirdOfPlay posted:

Only if Pence gets a heart attack before selecting a replacement Veep.

Even then, they will put him on as much life support as they can and argue forever that the president is still alive and deserves the peoples respect. They'll just have Mitch McConnel interpret Pences breathing as executive orders.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Fulchrum posted:

Changing the culture would just be getting more people to vote for them, and doesn't require that the party actively rig the system in favor of leftists.

no, but i wasn't saying the party should rig elections

i'm saying its ok to scream at everyone that they should support more progessive/leftist dems or scream that supporting blue dogs is actively harmful. once again, whether that works or not is up for debate

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

GyroNinja posted:

When was the last time a President switched their running mate when running for re-election? It seems like it used to be much more common before ~1950 or so.

I don't know, but the more I think about it I can see Trump dropping him. Pence was someone else's pick back when Trump was still listening to people. We've see over and over again that only decisions Donny ever regrets are ones where he wanted to do something, and someone talked him out of it. Now he can change that and choose someone who has pledged their undying devotion to him.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/MattGrossmann/status/1062838794548924416

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tibalt posted:

It's not really a 'weird standing agreement', the electors are 1.) Chosen by the presidential candidate and are usually loyal party faithfuls, and 2.) usually bound to vote for the state's choice by law. So you'd have to get a situation where a party faithful decided to give the election to the other guy, despite breaking the law in their home state.

Which, I mean, I guess if Lex Luthor won but didn't wait until officially taking office to reveal his secret plan to order Cadmus to murder Super-Man, sure. Maybe you'd get a couple of electors to flip.

Not only are their bound to vote that way, some (can't remember which states) can be replaced and have their vote invalidated if they don't vote as instructed. Three electors had their votes invalidated in 2016, with two of them being replaced.

Fulchrum posted:

Even then, they will put him on as much life support as they can and argue forever that the president is still alive and deserves the peoples respect. They'll just have Mitch McConnel interpret Pences breathing as executive orders.

We'd be left with the literal situation that caused the 25th Amendment, and it would never be invoked.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1063949746174377986

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

RaySmuckles posted:

voting for VPs would be weird because the position is so powerless. it seems already hard enough to get people to join the ticket because they have to put the rest of their political career on hold.

plus, wouldn't it oddly incentivize candidates to try and get the president killed, lol? like they have to fight so hard to be back-up president and once you're pot committed...

Teddy Roosevelt was made VP so his party could get rid of him. Oops.

When LBJ was offered the VP slot on Kennedy's ticket:

Master of the Senate posted:

A Vice President was the logical candidate to succeed the President when his four or eight years in office ended, the natural heir to the presidency. And of course a Vice President might not have to wait that long. The alter­native route had an abbreviated version -- and Lyndon Johnson had reconnoitered that, too.

He had his staff look up a figure: How many Presidents of the United States had died in office? The answer was seven. Since thirty-three men had been President,* that was seven out of thirty-three: The chances of a Vice President succeeding to the presidency due to a President's death were about one out of five. And when that question was asked about Presidents in modern times, the odds against such an occurrence got shorter -- better. During the last hundred years before 1960, five Presidents had died in office -- Abraham Lincoln in 1865, James Garfield in 1881, William McKinley in 1901, Warren Harding in 1923 and of course Franklin Roosevelt in 1945. During that time span, in other words, a President had died in office approximately every twenty years. There had been eighteen Presidents during that time, and five out of eighteen were odds of less than one out of four.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Yoinked from the USNEWS thread:

"A top White House official responsible for American policy toward Saudi Arabia resigned on Friday evening, a move that may suggest fractures inside the Trump administration over the response to the brutal killing of the dissident Jamal Khashoggi."

Fractures?

Inside the administration?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
This is so awesome

https://twitter.com/feministabulous/status/1063947279688769537?s=21

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ague Proof posted:

Teddy Roosevelt was made VP so his party could get rid of him. Oops.

When LBJ was offered the VP slot on Kennedy's ticket:

hahaha, that's awesome

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

https://twitter.com/ocasio2018/status/1063951791220494336?s=21

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
what the heck is zoom?

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

what the heck is zoom?

It is a teleconference platform for business that is actually pretty good

downout
Jul 6, 2009

This appears to be pretty wrong based on the thread.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Too many goddamn social media platforms

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Too many goddamn social media platforms

Zoom is basically Less Dumb Skype, not really social media

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/1063898424309882885

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

I agree with Trump on something. They should have raked the forest more. Let's punish PG&E for paying out larger dividend instead of using it to actually do forest management. Maybe it's about time the state takes them over.

Thanks for the great idea Mr. President.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/misstessowen/status/1063882906215620608
https://twitter.com/misstessowen/status/1063885171303350272
https://twitter.com/misstessowen/status/1063896828503048193
https://twitter.com/gwensnyderPHL/status/1063889032319590401

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

funny how the cops keep being on the side of the fascists huh

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

can you imagine cops trying to call antifa a cab, lol

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cite them for what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
He's physically incapable of not making everything about him somehow.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1063972700262187009