Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Feenix posted:

My kid in the car seat would be operating the ball.

Gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

And now we’re waiting for Target to email us saying our Poké Ball is ready for pickup.

This escalated quickly.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I’m surprised people did get all pissy about random battles being axed
From Pokémon. Random battles in RPGs are loving awful and it’s why pretty much every modern RPG has been moving away from them

that's not really true and also people like different things?

I don't understand why anyone is pissy about it though, this game is essentially a spin-off and I don't think people got this angry that say, Pokémon Pinball was ~ruining the franchise~

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Your Computer posted:

that's not really true and also people like different things?

I don't understand why anyone is pissy about it though, this game is essentially a spin-off and I don't think people got this angry that say, Pokémon Pinball was ~ruining the franchise~

They have been moving away but more towards enemies on the map. They don’t just replace it with nothing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m shocked how many RPGs still have random battles. They’ve always sucked and I can’t play many RPGs with them.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m shocked how many RPGs still have random battles. They’ve always sucked and I can’t play many RPGs with them.

They're much easier to develop and build around because there's an established precedent. Developing for nonrandom battles requires a lot more asset creation and balancing, or else you get something that looks lazy like some Tales games where you encounter enemies on the map but they look like random black gooblobs or the same generic models with palette swaps.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Random battles suck because rpgs should be filled to the brim with pretty backdrops and random battles make exploring those backdrops a slog.

If you're going to have them then do what Bravely Default did. Give the player the ability to turn it off or adjust the frequency of them. That was a great quality of life feature and it's insane that it's not more common.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 17, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

They have been moving away but more towards enemies on the map. They don’t just replace it with nothing.

I mean, Octopath Traveler just came out and did really well and that had random battles. As did Bravely Default and Second before it.

also I enjoy it

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Elderbean posted:

If you're going to have them then do what Bravely Default did. Give the player the ability to turn it off or adjust the frequency of them.

oh yeah 100% this though. Every RPG released after Bravely Default should have the options that game has

being able to turn random encounters to 0% or 200% as well as the robust auto-battle system, being able to control animation speed in battle, being able to turn on/off exp, items, jp, etc. was just crazy good

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

drat I was pining for some Lethal League on my Switch and just found out it’s already been announced for switch next year.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Your Computer posted:

I mean, Octopath Traveler just came out and did really well and that had random battles. As did Bravely Default and Second before it.

also I enjoy it

I mean octopath is developed as a throwback so that isn’t surprising. Either way I wasn’t making a value judgment just stating a fact.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Your Computer posted:

also I enjoy it

It’s why I didn’t buy Octopath. A shame since I love how the game looks and sounds.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The Silver Snail posted:

This is a bunk compromise and your kid is gonna think so too.

It’s better than when I say 100% of the time “no” to using my phone. ;) besides, maybe it’s just day 1 novelty but he got a huge kick out of it.

Is it able to /can it make sounds when used with Pokémon Go?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I'm exactly the guy that complains about Pokemon Let's Go and how I prefer the old encounters, while using repels in Ultra Moon because the random encounter rate is so annoying.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I have the week off work, I’m under a comforter playing Pokémon while the first 10 seasons of The Simpson’s is on the tv. The pizza is on the way.

Turns out I peaked at ten because this owns hard.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I just sold Hyrule Warriors and Disgaea 5 and nearly broke even.

They're good but I just cannot play these crazy-dense games anymore. I'd rather pay more overall for smaller games with more structure.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rolo posted:

I have the week off work, I’m under a comforter playing Pokémon while the first 10 seasons of The Simpson’s is on the tv. The pizza is on the way.

Turns out I peaked at ten because this owns hard.

I’ve been doing pretty much the same thing and it owns.:respek:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s why I didn’t buy Octopath. A shame since I love how the game looks and sounds.

speaking as a person who still refuses to ever play FF6 because of how numerous random battles are: Octopath definitely is a great game and they are not obnoxious about random encounters in the way older games were/are. In fact one of the abilities scales down random battle chances even further.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

I just sold Hyrule Warriors and Disgaea 5 and nearly broke even.

They're good but I just cannot play these crazy-dense games anymore. I'd rather pay more overall for smaller games with more structure.

I’m so many hours into both of these. It’s only been possible because they’re portable though. No way I could still play them tethered to a tv.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

speaking as a person who still refuses to ever play FF6 because of how numerous random battles are: Octopath definitely is a great game and they are not obnoxious about random encounters in the way older games were/are. In fact one of the abilities scales down random battle chances even further.

It's pretty on par with SNES JRPGs as far as encounter rate goes (well, Final Fantasy anyway. Let's not speak of Breath of Fire), but it's still bizarre to me how they went from Bravely to Octopath, leaving out every single QOL feature :( You finally learned how to do it perfectly!

Octopath was still fantastic, but it would be so much better if they kept that stuff in.

e: gently caress, Bravely Trilogy on the Switch when???

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah I was expecting Octopath to have the nice features from Bravely but they're missing. Wtf square?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They wanted you believe there was, but there's no relation between Octopath and Bravely.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

So how do you use the X and Y functions on the PokeBall Plus?

Like if I’m in the Pokédex and want to look at some options, how do I access them? Do I keep a joycon around just to do that?

Edit: you shake it!

Beastie fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 17, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

DLC Inc posted:

Interesting. Well maybe I’ll give the free prologue a go sometime and see what happens. FF6 is also a game I feel like I should play but I’m also dreading encounters.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

ColdPie posted:

I enjoy the whole article, but the part that really sticks with me is the bit about Mario 64 just being fun to play. You don't need a bunch of game mechanics, todo lists, achievements, whatever. You can spend an hour just loving around outside the castle and it is a joy. I think about that passage a lot when I'm playing games.

he eventually develops this into an idea of like, good games providing a certain satisfying friction to response that makes action a reward in itself. he's making a big thing about mario 3 and i imagine he'll talk about some of that stuff in there

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Dragon Marked For Death pushed back to January

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb3eA4GrCws

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is this Pokeball plus supposed to make sounds out of game? I thought I saw a promo video where it was like a tamagotchi thing.

Mine will not make sounds except in-(Switch)game

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I went to one of those Nintendo Experience events today.

Short line for Smash, no lines for Labo or Pokemon or other games. They were also all out of the check in rewards, but said they "ran out for the weeK' so they must be rationing them.

Uh, those are my impressions. I didn't wait for smash because I didn't want to waste half an hour with my kid there.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Feenix posted:

Is this Pokeball plus supposed to make sounds out of game? I thought I saw a promo video where it was like a tamagotchi thing.

Mine will not make sounds except in-(Switch)game

It does. To put something in the ball, from the save menu in the game choose to take a pokemon for a stroll and then press and hold the button on the ball until it glows and the move the stick around and it will make noises.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I've got some Let's Go Eevee exclusives to trade for the Pikachu exclusives - anyone wanna do the swaps?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pokémon let’s go what are you supposed to do i this game, just keep catching the same Pokémon over and over and sending them to the professor? The game explains nothing about any of this

Reposting this from Pokémon thread cuz I’m impatient

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Empress Brosephine posted:

Pokémon let’s go what are you supposed to do i this game, just keep catching the same Pokémon over and over and sending them to the professor? The game explains nothing about any of this

Have you ever played a Pokemon game before?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Empress Brosephine posted:

That’s Pokémon Go. You’re describing the mobile one, where you endlessly catch Pokémon and keep the ones that are perfect, or shiny, or your favorite. The one on switch is Pokémon Let’s Go which has an actual story and also you can dress up your friend Pokémon. I hope this helped clear up your confusion.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
You can also mulch your extra pokemon into candy to make the ones you actually like stronger. It's the best of all the worlds.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Am I reading the Amazon listing for the digital version of Smash Ultimate in that it's also eligible for the Prime $10 gift card pre-order thing? I had assumed it was just for physical copies like the old Prime pre-order gaming thing.

If so, does Amazon email you the code right away so you can pre-load, or do you have to wait for release day? Or do they do something insane like mail you a physical copy of the code?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Licarn posted:

You can also mulch your extra pokemon into candy to make the ones you actually like stronger. It's the best of all the worlds.

:stonk:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I've played enough of Paladins to have a good enough grasp of how it works as a game, so here's my mini-review.

Until Overwatch is ported to the Switch, this is pretty much your Team Fortress clone for the console. I was a fairly dedicated TF player who dabbled with clans and such, so this is a good substitute until something better appears. It's certainly great for the price they ask, which is none, although they do offer cosmetic lootboxes and season passes to somehow fund the game. But, so far, no pay2win nonsense.

The games last around 7 to 15 minutes, depending if the opposing team is a total blanket or both teams suck. You get your regular Team Deathmatch, Onslaught or zone control and then Siege where you try to push the payload up the opponents base. All modes more or less rope you into the mechanics of the game, but Siege is the mode of choice when it comes to serious Ranked matches. (Ranked games only open for you when you're level 15 and have enough unlocked champions to play with. This is so total noobs don't wander into them, although I can't say I notice the difference sometimes.) That's the objective part, now is it fun to play? I guess so. There is an element of satisfaction of winning a game due to some good gameplay from one's part, but it can be frustrating to play, like when the sole medic in your team doesn't understand to heal your teammates.

So far the future looks bright for the game, with future updates promising voice chat, cross-multiplatform online compatibility, more content and so on. It'll be interesting to see what 2019 will bring for Paladins. They might alleviate the need for Overwatch on Switch if they play their cards right.

What I liked:
  • The card deck system and in-game item purchases means you can tune characters to your playstyle or adapt to the opposing team. Which is good, since you can't change your champion in-game like you can in Overwatch.
  • Since it uses dedicated servers instead of p2p networking, very rarely if ever do you get DCs. Even playing on wifi works without much of a hitch. In the occasional event that you disconnect or crash, you just login again and the game throws you back to the game.
  • Game chugs a nearly-consistent 60 fps, but it uses dynamic resolution scaling, so it can get kinda blurry when the action gets really hot. Great feat though.
  • Unlike in Arena of Valor, champions that are up for trial can be leveled, so you can purchase them later on and continue from there.
  • You don't have to buy all the available champions with real money - you can just use in-game gold coins you get from playing and completing quests to purchase individual champions. It'll be quicker if you get the Season Pass, but only do that if you intend to completing it.
  • Gyro aiming. It's rather rudimentary, but at least it works and I can now fly and shoot with Drogoz and actually hit someone.
  • As a live service game, the game holds events where HiRez try to shake up things by introducing special themes or whole new playmodes. Some of it is sometimes rubbish, but at least there's something new to enjoy.
What I didn't:
  • Paladins has a lot of issues: Crashes, menus not sometimes responding, missing features on the Switch, sound glitches. (That being said, a huge majority of matches work without apparent issues, something you can't say the same about Splatoon, fan as I am of the series.) At least they acknowledge the situation and are dedicating the next year in squashing all the bugs.
  • Sometimes the game uses bots to replace players for some reason or another. This is fine, I guess, but sometimes they bug out and get stuck in the terrain, making them absolutely useless.
  • Graphic design-wise it can't quite match Overwatch. Every champion feels more or less like a Tesco brand character - ie. bland. Or maybe I just don't feel the fantasy theme.
  • The freemium model means some of the players suuuuck. This is partly compensated by the unlockable competitive mode, but it only has one mode which is the payload pushing siege mode.
  • The use of in-game crystals to obfuscate costs. It's standard freemium economy, but I still don't like it. At least it isn't as obscene with pulling your wallet like in other F2P games - or in some $60 dollar games for that matter.
  • A slight nibble: Currently cross-platform play is with Xbox players only until late January when they'll finally properly implement it with other platforms and they'll allow Switch users to link their HiRez account. PS4 is absent - for obvious reasons.
  • I'm not sure if I really care, but: No voice chat. There's a macro key combo system where you can communicate with your teammates with preset messages, but in the heat of the battle, who has time for that?

I give it 3.5 out of 5 for now

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

mancalamania posted:

Am I reading the Amazon listing for the digital version of Smash Ultimate in that it's also eligible for the Prime $10 gift card pre-order thing? I had assumed it was just for physical copies like the old Prime pre-order gaming thing.

If so, does Amazon email you the code right away so you can pre-load, or do you have to wait for release day? Or do they do something insane like mail you a physical copy of the code?

Kind of unrelated to this... but I did the $10 gift card thing for Spider-man, and they waited a good month to apply it to my account, like it was after the return window was over

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Shining Resonance Refrain is on sale for $25. Is it a decent ARPG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It's mediocre as hell. The plot swerves between typical anime and poo poo being mildly interesting, the combat is passable at best, and for a game about music, I couldn't tell you a single song from the game. It wishes it was a Tales game, and falls short on basically every measure.