Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
POINTO CARDO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

movax posted:

Really at this point I should write a script that triggers on Yodobashi and replies. I loving love that place and now their song is stuck in my head.

Better if you don't.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

movax posted:

Really at this point I should write a script that triggers on Yodobashi and replies. I loving love that place and now their song is stuck in my head.

gently caress that song is stuck in my head too.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just experienced my first tattooed guy prejudice in a TGI Fridays of all places.

Some guy (either another waiter or maybe a manager?) stopped our waitress as she was leaving the table from dropping off our refills and made a very poorly disguised show of gesturing on his forearms to where my visible tattoos are, we're suddenly invisible for the rest of the meal apart from having our main courses brought over.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

Just experienced my first tattooed guy prejudice in a TGI Fridays of all places.

Some guy (either another waiter or maybe a manager?) stopped our waitress as she was leaving the table from dropping off our refills and made a very poorly disguised show of gesturing on his forearms to where my visible tattoos are, we're suddenly invisible for the rest of the meal apart from having our main courses brought over.

How long is your experience in Japan because waiters never come over to check on you here.

TGI Fridays of all places doesn't seem the place where they'd give a gently caress.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

How long is your experience in Japan because waiters never come over to check on you here.

TGI Fridays of all places doesn't seem the place where they'd give a gently caress.

We've been to a bunch of restaurants over the last two weeks and it's been pretty universally "wait staff come over to offer you more drinks every time your glass is empty" so I've had the opposite experience, but you've obviously spent more time here than me so maybe I've just been lucky?

We went to another branch last week and the service was normal as everywhere else I've ever been to a Fridays, this one was normal (waitress had come by and brought more drinks, alcohol for my wife when she finished what she had etc) right up until the guy made a point of highlighting my tattoos to her and it changed immediately.

Might have been something to do with the huge birthday party they sat right next to us shortly afterwards? Who knows. Definitely no issue for them getting served while we were right there being ignored.

FWIW I'm not salty about it, just bemused that it would be in an American restaurant of all places.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 17, 2018

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I've been to a TGI Friday's in Tokyo where the waiters had tattoos.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

We've been to a bunch of restaurants over the last two weeks and it's been pretty universally "wait staff come over to offer you more drinks every time your glass is empty" so I've had the opposite experience, but you've obviously spent more time here than me so maybe I've just been lucky?

We went to another branch last week and the service was normal as everywhere else I've ever been to a Fridays, this one was normal (waitress had come by and brought more drinks, alcohol for my wife when she finished what she had etc) right up until the guy made a point of highlighting my tattoos to her and it changed immediately.

Might have been something to do with the huge birthday party they sat right next to us shortly afterwards? Who knows. Definitely no issue for them getting served while we were right there being ignored.

FWIW I'm not salty about it, just bemused that it would be in an American restaurant of all places.

Honestly if you're going to a tgi fridays in Japan as a tourist then gently caress you, gently caress your expectations, gently caress your tattos, and gently caress you.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I know that's harsh, but that's how I feel about it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

Honestly if you're going to a tgi fridays in Japan as a tourist then gently caress you, gently caress your expectations, gently caress your tattos, and gently caress you.

Dennie’s is a bit more of a fun place instead of TGI

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

Stringent posted:

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
When I was in college in Pittsburgh, one of the things that was sort of a tradition was that upon arriving or departing Pittsburgh airport, I would stop at the TGI fridays for food. It was sort of a reminder that all of the food at Pittsburgh airport was kinda meh, and a reminder of the lack of diversity in Asian food in Pittsburgh.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with Japan because why the gently caress would you go to TGI fridays as a tourist in Japan?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

ntan1 posted:

Anyway, this has nothing to do with Japan because why the gently caress would you go to TGI fridays as a tourist in Japan?

:agreed: you guys just wasted a lot of money on plane fare and hotels

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
From the sound of it they went twice.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Because there's only so much rice/noodles/fish/mystery convenience store meat on a stick (chicken mostly I think) I feel like eating?

I mean there are a lot of answers to this question but ultimately I think it boils down to "you can visit a place and not go 100% all-in native on every single aspect of your life whilst there and still have a good vacation", imho.

We also both like lovely chain food and eating lovely chain food so it works out as part of any vacation.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 17, 2018

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Is TGI Friday's any different in Japan? I could see going to Denny's since it's such a bizarre experience compared to the US version. Checking out what McD's does differently in each country can be interesting too, if there's anything unusual.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

The Japanese ones don't do unlimited appetizer refills, no "loaded potato skins" (apparently TGIF's most popular menu item in the US), or all-day Happy Hour. The cocktails are absurdly priced too, like 1400 yen for a frozen margarita or something. Shittier in every way, IMHO

http://www.tgifridays.co.jp/foods/
https://www.tgifridays.com/menu/dine-in/

I could understand going once because you really want fried blooming onions or something. And some countries just have lovely native cuisine (most of the Carribean, England), so going native wouldn't necessarily be a good thing.
But going to "multiple branches" while in Japan, lol to that.

He could have at least asked in this thread for American food places that offer something Tokyo-specific -- we could have recommended Hatos Bar or TY Harbor or whatever.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 17, 2018

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sounds lovely. I've never actually been to one in the US, but we went to one occasionally when I lived in Korea because they had an absurdly cheap happy hour. Like $10 for a couple hours of unlimited alcohol.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

rice/noodles/fish/mystery convenience store meat on a stick

The only for kinds of Japanese food.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ntan1 posted:

When I was in college in Pittsburgh, one of the things that was sort of a tradition was that upon arriving or departing Pittsburgh airport, I would stop at the TGI fridays for food. It was sort of a reminder that all of the food at Pittsburgh airport was kinda meh, and a reminder of the lack of diversity in Asian food in Pittsburgh.

brb updating my ntan shrine and scrolls of lore

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I went to a Bob's Big Boy in Kyoto during the whatsit festival with the big fire 大字 on the mountain and I don't regret it at all. Extremely good festival meal. Only wish I wore my jinbei

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I went to the wendy's first kitchen like 3 times the first time I was in Tokyo and I will never regret that.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Going to neat restaurants to try out new cuisine seems so easy over there. One day while riding the old Tokaido highway I was starving and needed some calories, and I happened to randomly stop at one of the oldest restaurants in Japan (Chojiya). I felt kind of awkward since I stumbled into this fancy 500 year old joint in all my spandex gear, but the staff was all friendly and it was fun to talk to them about my travels, as well as learning about the history of the place and the area. Chain restaurants seem pretty boring compared to getting to hang out and chat with the restaurant staff like I was able to in a lot of places.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

caberham posted:

Dennie’s is a bit more of a fun place instead of TGI

Denny’s in japan sucks rear end.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I like it and I find it alright to go ONCE. It’s ridiculously clean and the servers are nice and the food quite cute compared to your American dinner.

I also ate an an eggs n things with another goon because we couldn’t get it in china.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Magna Kaser posted:

I went to the wendy's first kitchen like 3 times the first time I was in Tokyo and I will never regret that.

Yeah but you aren’t based in USA and Wendy’s and Hardy’s and Karl’s junior is a bit of a rare treat.

But hey we got White Castle!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ntan1 posted:

the one near Tokyo Dome is the unofficial clubhouse of a bunch of American pro wrestlers who work in Japan, but that or Japan Fatigue is the only reason I can think of.

and Japan Fatigue is fine. I know I've had times where I went "gently caress it, I'm going to Carl's Jr. because I know it's going to be exactly as awful as in the U.S." and sometimes you just need that.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

caberham posted:

Yeah but you aren’t based in USA and Wendy’s and Hardy’s and Karl’s junior is a bit of a rare treat.

But hey we got White Castle!

I would eat Wendy's on any continent.

White Castle I've had once in Shanghai and once in Ohio and I was p disappointed both times.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
:smith:

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

My wife and I just got a last minute JR rail pass since her friend will be home in Nagoya during our stay. Does anyone have any recommendations on places to visit between Nagoya and Tokyo off the JR rail line? I already know Hakone and Yokohama and her friend recommended Kanazawa. I'm working with 7 full days and 2 half days to split between Tokyo, Nagoya, and wherever else.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Kanazawa is good. Matsumoto is also good.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Bloodnose posted:

I went to a Bob's Big Boy in Kyoto during the whatsit festival with the big fire 大字 on the mountain and I don't regret it at all. Extremely good festival meal. Only wish I wore my jinbei

do these even exist in the us anymore? i've only heard of them in whisper and legend.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I've never seen one. But my American life is like Nevada, New York, Ohio, California and Florida, so they might be a The South thing.

I think the most embarrassing food mistake I made in Japan was getting some good ol' yakiniku at a Gyu-kaku and then getting home and seeing a Gyu-kaku right there in the mall I went to the gym in every day.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Injuryprone posted:

My wife and I just got a last minute JR rail pass since her friend will be home in Nagoya during our stay. Does anyone have any recommendations on places to visit between Nagoya and Tokyo off the JR rail line? I already know Hakone and Yokohama and her friend recommended Kanazawa. I'm working with 7 full days and 2 half days to split between Tokyo, Nagoya, and wherever else.

If you have the rail pass does it need to be between those cities? Kyoto and Osaka are both less than an hour by bullet train from Nagoya. Kyoto is basically the cultural capital of Japan, it would be worth your time to travel down there and worth your money to book a hotel so you don't need to commute back up to Tokyo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

mikeycp posted:

do these even exist in the us anymore? i've only heard of them in whisper and legend.

There's a couple here in southwest Ohio. There are some American chains that moved entirely to Japan though, like Lawson.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

teddust posted:

If you have the rail pass does it need to be between those cities? Kyoto and Osaka are both less than an hour by bullet train from Nagoya. Kyoto is basically the cultural capital of Japan, it would be worth your time to travel down there and worth your money to book a hotel so you don't need to commute back up to Tokyo.

Since it was a last minute buy we kinda got screwed. We are flying from Osaka to Tokyo and have accommodations in both already. We're going to end up leaving all our stuff in our Tokyo room when we go visit her friend in Nagoya. Nagoya is already backtracking so I think Kyoto might be too much. We have under 3 days in Osaka and are filming a music video there so maybe we could do a Kyoto daytrip.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

There's a couple here in southwest Ohio. There are some American chains that moved entirely to Japan though, like Lawson.

woah i had no idea lawson was an american chain. the only one i knew about like that was tower records.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Nagoya to Kanazawa is doable but it's a 3-hour express train rather than a Shinkansen. If you want Shinkansen you'd have to go all the way back to Tokyo and take the Hokuriku Shinkansen.

You can also have a look at Atami and Kamakura.

Also, link us the music video when it's up on youtube!

mikeycp posted:

woah i had no idea lawson was an american chain. the only one i knew about like that was tower records.

7-Eleven Inc. is also owned by a Japanese parent company!
I also used to think that that ampm was a Japanese company.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 18, 2018

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

7-Eleven Inc. is also owned by a Japanese parent company!
I also used to think that that ampm was a Japanese company.

7-11 was a reverse takeover long after it was established though. The (much stronger) Japanese branch bought out the American HQ to take control inside the last decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Mister Donuts