Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

EatinCake posted:

Just started– love these graphics.

Do you have to use the starter they gave you throughout the game or can you throw them in a box and ignore them instead?

You don't have to use them, they'll still sit on your head/shoulder and be your new version of "HM slave" without using a slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No that actually helps thanks all the game doesn’t explain the core loop and that battling Pokémon was replaced by catching them and sending them to the prof. I wasn’t sure if there was like some kind of combining or something instead

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Haven't tested it, but considering the exp bonus for catching a Pokemon for the first time, permanent exp share, and the large number of trainers I'm pretty sure that you could get through the game easily without catching a single Pokemon twice or using a single candy. Even without the overpowered starter, especially if you make sure to catch large/small Pokemon. You can get a lot of stuff out of catching Pokemon repeatedly, but it absolutely does not seem to be required or necessary.

I think the whole replacing wild battles with a minigame is a great idea and I definitely wouldn't mind if they did it again for the main games, but I'd prefer one that did not use motion controls. Having them on the overworld 100% needs to be carried over no matter what.

I honestly wasn't planning on using the starter Eevee, but they put a lot of effort into giving it character and it won me over when I realized the outfits and such you give it persist in battle. Hot tip, if you see a little waggle joycons icon outside of battle it basically has the partner Pokemon react to events in the game. There's a lot of charm in this game that isn't confined entirely to nostalgia. It may be "dumbed down" but that doesn't stop it from being real fun. If they keep releasing these as side games alongside the main ones, I'd definitely buy and play both.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Larryb posted:

Yeah, the game is literally just Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow with a new catching mechanic (which is also the primary means of gaining EXP aside from trainer fights) and some minor story alterations. Just play it like you would any other game in the series.

Not quite, the catching mechanic changes things slightly. Before you would just battle wild pokemon and only catch a few which were good or you didn't have yet. Now you go around catching everything in sight so you will end up with 50,000 zubats and pidgeys. You then have to go through menus to give them to the professor. This step did not exist in any other game in the series.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Anyone want to trade me a Koffing? I got pikachu version because the exclusives list they released before the game came out did NOT have koffing/weezing on it and goddammit I need one now. It's very unlikely I will get one in pokemon go because I don't live next to a dumpster or a chemical plant.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I wasn't sure if I would, but I've been loving Pokemon Let's Go! Glad I picked it up.

Seeing Pokemon in the field so much better than random battles, this should carry over into the main games ASAP.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So I was skeptical but this game is completely adorable (and perfect for getting Go players into actual pokemon games)
Also they finally got rid of those horrific screeching gameboy sounds

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What’s the little green icon with two people in it on the bottom right

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Empress Brosephine posted:

What’s the little green icon with two people in it on the bottom right

That means another trainer has invaded your game.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Anyone who doesn't have bellsprout as their follow pokemon is missing out. That little guy is just so hype about life
This game made me like bellsprout

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chill Penguin posted:

That means another trainer has invaded your game.

Oh so I can see them in the world then?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Let's Go wouldn't let me name my trainer "Jodi", I don't know why. Jodi was one of the default names in Crystal version

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

There was somebody a few pages back who wondered if you can still cancel Pokemon evolution. The answer is yes. The sign just south of Cerulean City said so.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Anyone who doesn't have bellsprout as their follow pokemon is missing out. That little guy is just so hype about life
This game made me like bellsprout

all the walk cycles have so much personality, it's great.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

all the walk cycles have so much personality, it's great.

Abra just calmly floating with you and Metapod just aggressively hopping to keep up with you are two of my faves so far.

Also up there, Ekans going full on long boi slither behind you and Mr Mime just walking like a normal rear end man

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

sexpig by night posted:

Abra just calmly floating with you and Metapod just aggressively hopping to keep up with you are two of my faves so far.

Also up there, Ekans going full on long boi slither behind you and Mr Mime just walking like a normal rear end man

I have always liked Ekans and long grass noodle Ekans is another point in its favour. I heartily recommend you name your Ekans Mr Slithers.

Also my longest Ekans is longer than three of my shortest Ekans stapled together.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
In other news I finally found a Clefairy in Mount Moon after catching three Clefable. All boys, too, so that's some real RNG poo poo going on there. On my final trek through Mount Moon I also found a MOTHERFUCKING CHANSEY just toddling about without a care in the world. As I was about to exit I saw my first Onix (he's real big) but the little cutscene with Team Rocket interrupted my attempt to get him and when I gained control again he was gone :negative:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I know they changed EVs around in this game, but are IVs still the same?

This game is The Actual Devil and gives you the ability to check your Pokemon's IVs freely from the menu which means you can stare into the abyss and see the garbage you've been showering with love for the past 20 hours in all their glory.

But with Candy stats, if IVs are still only 0-31 then it's not a big difference in the end. So someone please tell me it's still 0-31. Not that it makes me sleep any better at night knowing the Squirtle I love is inferior.

Note to beginners! You get a free Charmander, Squirtle, and Bulbasaur in Cerulean and Vermillion City. (Char+Bulb Cerulean, Squirtle Vermillion) They have great IVs. So don't stress about catching the rare ones if you don't mind waiting a bit. The Magikaro you can buy has good IVs too! (I confirmed with a friend of mine that these stay the same even in different versions/games.) Their natures can change though, but maybe you can reroll that.

EDIT: For the record those IVs aren't perfect, just good! For example Charmander is HP Very Good / A+SPA Fantastic / SP+DEF Very Good / SPE Best. Of course I got bad natures on all 3 so they got sent to the Prof but whatevs.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 18, 2018

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I had no idea that Onix could be found in Mt.Moon until one literally spawned on top of my character.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I thought there was a dude you could see later that changes natures for you

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I have always liked Ekans and long grass noodle Ekans is another point in its favour. I heartily recommend you name your Ekans Mr Slithers.

Also my longest Ekans is longer than three of my shortest Ekans stapled together.

Does their size make them show up differently in combat and walk mode? Because if so, I'll need to do more grinding for my fave pokes

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

bandaid.friend posted:

Let's Go wouldn't let me name my trainer "Jodi", I don't know why. Jodi was one of the default names in Crystal version

Pokemon new language filter has always been bad, because it filters any bad words from any language. So Jodi or some part of Jodi is a bad word in another language.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

You can give a Cofagrigus no nickname, but you cannot nickname it Cofagrigus

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Magikarp heroically bounces ahead of you, like the magestic fish it is

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
Naming my rival Gary Oak felt a little awkward when I met the actual Gary Oak in Pewter City.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
But that was Blue!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Julias posted:

But that was Blue!

And in this alternate reality, he went on an adventure without a Pokedex...

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I named my rival Larry Oak.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i think i accidentally ruined the game for myself

me and my cousin were hanging out trading version exclusives and stuff and I started catching some Psyduck north of Vermillion because I needed some Psyduck, and i've been trying to get to chains of 10 for Pokemon so I can have some better stats on my guys, and he starts chaining Oddish on Route 15 to try to bring a Scyther out to play.

hours and hours later, I have a 120 chain of Psyduck that mercifully ends when one runs from me, my cousin is bragging about his shiny Oddish that he got after chaining "just" 65, I am without a shiny and now all of my Pokemon are massively, game-breakingly overleveled. We're talking I am going to walk onto the SS Anne for the first time with a Charizard, Venusaur, Blastoise, Pidgeot, and level 40 Eevee with perfect stats. Once you get to about 40 every Tiny/Huge pokemon you get is worth hella EXP and after I ran out of pokemon to evolve for my Pokedex I just kept catching them.

and the worst part is, I didn't get a sky blue duckie so all I have to my name is a Psyduck with almost perfect (we're talking 4 perfect with two just a hair short) IVs that has ingested 100 of it's species' candy so it's more powerful than my Eevee that is more that double the level.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

doesnt sound like much of an accident if u ask me

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Psyduck Murderverse more like it

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
sounds like your pikachu is gonna uss cole that ship

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Anyone got a big rear end map of where each pokemon is?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Anyone got a big rear end map of where each pokemon is?
Isn't this sort of what Oak asked you to do? You don't get to get out of work that easy

Look up PokeEarth on Serebii, it's not exactly what you're after but you can check whats available on each route/location

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

In other news I finally found a Clefairy in Mount Moon after catching three Clefable. All boys, too, so that's some real RNG poo poo going on there. On my final trek through Mount Moon I also found a MOTHERFUCKING CHANSEY just toddling about without a care in the world. As I was about to exit I saw my first Onix (he's real big) but the little cutscene with Team Rocket interrupted my attempt to get him and when I gained control again he was gone :negative:

I was also pleasantly sur[rised to find a Chansey at Mt. Moon, I like how they've changed up which Pokemon can be found where just enough to keep it interesting.

bowmore posted:

I thought there was a dude you could see later that changes natures for you

It this true? Because it would be a major quality of life improvement if it was.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It this true? Because it would be a major quality of life improvement if it was.

Theres a fortune teller in Celadon who gives you significantly higher odds of getting a specific nature for a day, but I've also heard tell that it guarantees any pokemon you pull from Go will be that nature.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I was not enjoying the detached joycon controls as I'm used to handheld mode, and my brain was getting upset by my left hand twiddling the "move around" stick as well as the not-XYAB buttons. But then I started holding the single joycon in both my hands, using my right for the not-XYAB buttons and left twiddling the stick as usual and my brain was happy with that. Motion controls for catching stuff still sucks but now when I'm running around in the overworld Squeak will do cute stuff and find things for me (she just got me a Pretty Wing) which doesn't seem to happen when you're playing in handheld mode.

e: I can also confirm that making Bellsprout your friend is a top move. She's so enthusiastic!
e2: Squeak will also power up her friends with loud cheering in battle if you are playing with the joycons detached and shake it :syoon:

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Nov 18, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

e: I can also confirm that making Bellsprout your friend is a top move. She's so enthusiastic!

Yeah Bellsprout is great

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm seeing screenshots of female Pikachus (not wild ones, the main one). Can you switch its gender somehow or is it a random chance when you start the game? Can it by shiny?