Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
that satoshi nakamoto twitter account got suspended :smith:

PleasureKevin posted:

crypto currency job update:

so for 2 weeks our app was almost 100% broken because rather than deploy my branch, they do some "roll back" after finding one bug in my code that cause only a minor inconvenience. they didn't ask me to fix it either, but they were In a rush to deploy a feature on a Friday. what ended up in prod was 100% broken, untested and unreviewed, done without asking for my input either, and I'm the most senior dev.

I spend the next week figuring out what code they permanently erased from the app and putting it all back together from undeleted branches and personal backups. I get my 2 months of work mostly beck and merged with their version. they ask if it can be out Friday and I say yes, but say I'm only fixing the 3 top priority bugs and everything else will have to be in later PRs. I work all night to get it done Thursday, but I don't get a green light and everyone just goes home.

Friday I'm on a video call all day showing the fixes and actually had to show them their app was far more broken than they realized. a weird cache system was preventing them from seeing the bugs, and it was weird that none had realized this but me. they spent a great deal of time finding "bugs" in my branch, but each and every one was also a bug in prod, to their surprise. still, no green light and I'm sleep deprived and stressed. in private conversations with devs and the product manager I'm constantly reassured that we're on the same page, not to stress, and so on.

then one of the most elusive and combative devs force pushes a "fixes-everything" branch to prod without any approvals or warning. it again deletes all my work from the past 2 months, it's another roll-back that undoes more bug fixes than it fixes them. the product manager who was re-assuring me an hour earlier congratulates and thanks him and then everyone goes home, and I'm just gutted and speechless. that's when I started mentally writing out the resignation letter. when I regain myself I go to the issue tracker and tediously move all my issues and fixes form "done" back to "to do". literally everything I've ever done.

and on top of all that i hear you got kicked out of your apartment too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Boxturret posted:

and on top of all that i hear you got kicked out of your apartment too

no, maybe you're thinking of my several weeks of homelessness a few months ago. it wasn't a matter of being kicked out at all. I had been living with my ex for ages, and somehow there was a big misconception/miscommunication that my dad would let me stay at his place for a bit. he actually drove me out of town and parked his car somewhere near his house (not in his garage as usual), and left me there sleeping, only to call the police who came, woke me, and pointed me to a homeless shelter. I volunteered at homeless camps and shelters all last summer, and this was a way more violent and sketchy place than anywhere I'd ever seen.

my dad is extremely mentally ill, but I haven't seen signs of it in a few years. but I think he saw the vulnerability and it kind of triggered it.

I was working for this company that promised me a steady contract, but instead kept giving me lovely piecemeal contracts and taking 4 weeks to pay. was always left waiting to hear if there was more work too. probably 4 weeks before I was in their office saying "hey this is actually a really precarious situation for me, we gotta get a more stable contract going" and they straight up lied and said, ok just one more piecemeal contract, only to give me a third after that. and then no communication after that.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

it's only under those conditions that I'd take a crypto currency job. it really helped too that they never told me it was a crypto company. honestly I might even have turned it down had they told me, who knows.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
This is from like four pages back but re: that "stonetoss" cartoon, it's come up a fair amount in DnD political cartoons chat. It's the frontliner of a set of coordinated alt-right/white supremacist webcomics that try (to varying degrees of success) to become viral and indoctrinate new audiences. I know that might sound laughable given those comics, but they like alternating between generic jokes, cryptoracist humor, explicit bigotry, and appealing to specific target groups (bitcoiners, gamers, etc). So, y'know, careful with reposting it anywhere.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Axe-man posted:

i sold my soul for a blockchain

you mine sixteen blocks, what do you get
you get another miner and deeper in debt
satoshi don't you call me, I can't come
I put all my savings in ethereum

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

...! posted:

In the hunt for cheap energy sources, we will unlock greater economic abundance in the real world. Bitcoin, through the harnessing of these new or disparate energy sources, not only moves us forward to a Kardeshev Type I economy but may bring us closer to a Kardeshev Type I energy civilization (We’re ~0.72 on the Kardashev Scale). With Bitcoin mining as an incentive, it may shrink the time we get to T1 from 200 years to less than a few decades. After reaching Type I status, there is less of a need to restrict the growth of energy consumption, which increases the standard of living for everyone.

A type 1 civilisation uses all the energy that reaches a planet from its parent star. Getting there in 200 years is a joke, getting there in decades is insane.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/ExkrementKoin/status/1063667559675891712

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Sedge and Bee posted:

A type 1 civilisation uses all the energy that reaches a planet from its parent star. Getting there in 200 years is a joke, getting there in decades is insane.

comedyblissoption posted:

Food 200 Acres remaining arable land
Data 100 zettabytes public ledger
Breathable Air 100 km^3
Dyson Sphere Cryptomining 380 yottawatts
Laborers 2 million
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my planet is dying

oh I just got a good quote in TRT World (Turkey) on the IMF central cryptocurrency thing: “Bitcoin holders have this fantasy of taking over the world of financing when they don’t understand it.” always nice to get some buttcoinery into print

and btw, Reddit /r/buttcoin has a chatroom now, if yr logged into Reddit. not poo poo so far.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Sedge and Bee posted:

but we're already at "~0.72" :downs:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

divabot posted:

Food 200 Acres remaining arable land
Data 100 zettabytes public ledger
Breathable Air 100 km^3
Dyson Sphere Cryptomining 380 yottawatts
Laborers 2 million
Ron Paul Funeral City, 350000000 dead.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

spend less on bailouts

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

PleasureKevin posted:

spend less on bailouts

no

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

when you do business with a company whose logo is shaped like the tip of a dick, you gotta expect that they're eventually going to try to gently caress you

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

KnifeWrench posted:

but we're already at "~0.72" :downs:

Log scale strikes again

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sedge and Bee posted:

does it count if we're harnessing most of the energy as a giant heater for our atmosphere and oceans, bc i think i figured out how bitcoin gets us there in decades

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

shitcoin

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
if i want to write an ico book, i have to write up all the big ICOs i can't be bothered with. telegram, EOS, tezos.

but I did just find the post I was looking for, that dissects why Telegram Open Network's 132-page technical white paper is BS

it is hilarious and you will enjoy it

the tech white paper is 132pp of unbacked promises, and blatant cribs from early Ethereum ideas that didn't work out

but was evidently enough to get the investors to put in $1.7 billion of actual loving dollars and not just cryptos, good lord

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
sorry, haven’t been following this thread so i don’t know if it’s been shared, but i found it in the wild and it might be new. it’s too good not to share:

quote:

Bitcoin 1776 is new version of the Bitcoin Core software, forking July 4th, 2018. The maximum number of coins 17.76 million. This increases final equity from 82% to 96% for all Bitcoin holders. Our blocks are found every 10 minutes (on average), with a halving every 210,000. Payout is 0.25 JFK to miners, representing part of one Kennedys Coin.

Our social structure is the World Series of Bitcoin. Teams of 8 elect 2 representatives, who move on to higher levels of councilors. If you are interested in participating, download our software and say high on Reddit! Our first contests will be starting soon.

https://www.bitcoin1776.org/

...!
Oct 5, 2003

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

sorry, haven’t been following this thread so i don’t know if it’s been shared, but i found it in the wild and it might be new. it’s too good not to share:

https://www.bitcoin1776.org/

good luck getting bitcoiners to even take a second look at that, given their intense hatred of all things centralized

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
im the bitcoin youths

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I'm the say high on Reddit

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

...!
Oct 5, 2003

god i loving love bitcoins

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
junto! junto! junto!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

History Lesson (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 8 hours ago by Ruld1972

- People feared electricity
- People feared first train
- People feared first plane
- People feared the internet
- People feared hedge funds
- People feared Bitcoin

People fear what they don't understand. Don't get caught on the wrong side of history.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

UniqueCandyredditor for 3 months [score hidden] 2 hours ago

Personally when my daughter was growing up from a baby to age 10, I never kept making comments like she is useless as a person and very unpredictable, because I knew that when she grew up now 20 she would be successful and make me proud, I view Bitcoin the same and on a similar time frame.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

...! posted:

- People feared Bitcoin

People fear what they don't understand. Don't get caught on the wrong side of history.

People feared Bozo the Clown

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

...! posted:

UniqueCandyredditor for 3 months [score hidden] 2 hours ago

Personally when my daughter was growing up from a baby to age 10, I never kept making comments like she is useless as a person and very unpredictable, because I knew that when she grew up now 20 she would be successful and make me proud, I view Bitcoin the same and on a similar time frame.

I just groaned irl

...!
Oct 5, 2003

https://mobile.twitter.com/jpbaric/status/1063905760596373505

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

please save the small apple tree from rosses poison hands

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

...! posted:

ahahahahahahaha

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

if after 3 years no one cared about numbersignfreeross why do you think that somehow numbersignsavetheappletree would catch on

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Has anyone said favicoin.ICO yet?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

gschmidl posted:

Has anyone said favicoin.ICO yet?

:vince:

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

...! posted:

- People feared Bitcoin

everybody feared hedge funds, but now there's one in every home!

foreclosing on it as part of as cdo.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 18, 2018

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
People feared nuclear fission and they were right

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

that's not how the electrical grid works gently caress you :argh:

they don't run all the generators in the world at 100% all the time forever and let the extra power just evaporate or something

they're the original "guys hitler was bad but maybe the holocaust is a lie made up by evil jews???" people who pretend to want "both sides" of the argument but are really just nazis who are too afraid to come out to themselves and others as nazis.

they absolutely get their understanding of municipal power supply from simcity

also if you run out of electricity you can just raise the terrain underneath the river and put some hydro plants there

2017: icos are the future
2018: stablecoins are the future
2018: icos are stablecoins

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

-People feared unfathomable cosmological horror beasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013