Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edit: wrong thread Maybe, because of my roommate's corndogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Other than the frozen agave syrup(which is more weird than anything), I'm legitimately not sure which part of this picture is supposed to be the AFP.

e: Oh, wrong thread'd.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Agave syrup goes weird after a while, freezing portions makes sense if you have a giant bottle.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
That's tequila

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:emptyquote:

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

Rollersnake posted:

[Gazed too deeply into the Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook]

You mad saint. Thank God you didn't go for the entrée of fried corned beef on fried bread, topped with a (fried, I think) pineapple slice.

The next oddest cookbook I have is perhaps The Tesco Cookery Collection: Cheesecakes (1985). Pick out the recipe that does not occur in this book:

1. Stilton Cheesecake
2. Curried Cheesecake
3. Prawn Cocktail Cheesecake
4. Pizza Cheesecake
5. Broccoli Cheesecake
6. Turkey Cheesecake
7. Tuna Cheesecake
8. Cheesecake Florentine

In case it's suspected that there is either no fake cheesecake in the list, or there's more than one, a selection from the (mostly-saner) 'sweet' section:

On PB chat, the excellent West African Groundnut Stew has made its way over to Britain (again, like everything vaguely edible that appears in the UK, it immediately starts mutating). You need a good-quality, unsweet, crunchy PB for that. When I was a teenager we ate PB + jam, or PB + honey, or PB + marmite sandwiches all the time. It's very popular over here, but I think most people would reject a brand that was noticeably sweet.

Carnival of Shrews has a new favorite as of 23:19 on Nov 17, 2018

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Haifisch posted:

I'm legitimately not sure which part of this picture is supposed to be the AFP.

Is "Breakfast Pizza" with a "Biscuit crust" that normal?

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm deeply skeptical of that pizza

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Carnival of Shrews posted:

You mad saint. Thank God you didn't go for the entrée of fried corned beef on fried bread, topped with a (fried, I think) pineapple slice.

I don't remember this one. It doesn't sound bad, or really any different from what you see in mid-century American cookbooks, so it probably got overshadowed by the uniquely British culinary nightmares.

quote:

The next oddest cookbook I have is perhaps The Tesco Cookery Collection: Cheesecakes (1985). Pick out the recipe that does not occur in this book:

1. Stilton Cheesecake
2. Curried Cheesecake
3. Prawn Cocktail Cheesecake
4. Pizza Cheesecake
5. Broccoli Cheesecake
6. Turkey Cheesecake
7. Tuna Cheesecake
8. Cheesecake Florentine

I'm gonna guess pizza cheesecake is the fake one. From what I've seen of English cooking from this era, it seems the least plausible. (My second guess would be broccoli, which doesn't show up very often, come to think of it.)

I love Stilton, and I love cheesecake, so please post the recipe which I am 100% sure is real. It would probably gross my wife out worse than the peanut butter sardine sandwich.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ookiimarukochan posted:

Is "Breakfast Pizza" with a "Biscuit crust" that normal?

Cautious would, but also probably would regret

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/DVVCKxd.mp4

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
My super sensitive teeth are more offended by that than the thought of biting a tree. I can't even someone use their teeth on ice cream without feeling the urge to shudder.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My super sensitive teeth are more offended by that than the thought of biting a tree. I can't even someone use their teeth on ice cream without feeling the urge to shudder.

I'm sure all the rear end eating doesn't help your dental situation

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Almost time to dip dry leftover turkey into a jar of mayo.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I'm sure all the rear end eating doesn't help your dental situation

well if it comes down to the rear end or the ice, i'm going to eat the rear end. It would only be a tough decision if the rear end was outside in sub-freezing temperatures.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Agave syrup goes weird after a while, freezing portions makes sense if you have a giant bottle.

Does agave syrup have any point other to trick people into thinking they're consuming "good" sugar? I don't think I've ever tried it so I don't know if it's flavoured.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Haifisch posted:

Other than the frozen agave syrup(which is more weird than anything), I'm legitimately not sure which part of this picture is supposed to be the AFP.

e: Oh, wrong thread'd.

lol what a square

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

bike tory posted:

Does agave syrup have any point other to trick people into thinking they're consuming "good" sugar? I don't think I've ever tried it so I don't know if it's flavoured.

Umm, actually,,,,,

Agave syrup is worse for you because it has a lot more fructose which makes it equivalent to HFCS

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

Agave syrup is worse for you because it has a lot more fructose which makes it equivalent to HFCS
Which is worse for you because of

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

Rollersnake posted:

I don't remember this one. It doesn't sound bad, or really any different from what you see in mid-century American cookbooks, so it probably got overshadowed by the uniquely British culinary nightmares.

I'm gonna guess pizza cheesecake is the fake one. From what I've seen of English cooking from this era, it seems the least plausible. (My second guess would be broccoli, which doesn't show up very often, come to think of it.)

I love Stilton, and I love cheesecake, so please post the recipe which I am 100% sure is real. It would probably gross my wife out worse than the peanut butter sardine sandwich.

The Brits have indeed invented a Stilton cheesecake (also, and more recently and horribly, port and Stilton truffles).

Behold:

Recipe:

Pizza Cheesecake existed, at some remote point in history when the mammal-like reptiles roamed the Earth and we all drank beer from 10-sided glasses:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Because fructose is processed differently by the body than glucose. Specifically, fructose does not cause as much insulin secretion as glucose, which makes you more likely to gain weight from it. Also, it is readily converted to fat in the liver, potentially causing chirrosis.

Fructose is worse for you than glucose and therefore any type of sugar containing more fructose than glucose will be worse than regular refined sugar. (IIRC sucrose gets broken down to fructose and glucose in the stomach in about equal amounts)

So yes, it is marketed as a healthy, natural replacement for the evil unnatural refined sugar, but is in fact even worse!

I am not a doctor, so please read this paper about it: https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/76/5/911/4689540

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The Bloop posted:

It has something to do with insulin resistance, I think. IIRC, fructose is preferentially metabolised (over glucose) into lipids by the liver but also doesn't stimulate release of insulin from the pancreas so you get this combo of high blood sugar and increased fat deposition/storage.

That's more or less what I remember from university biology ages ago so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

e:fb

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Yyyyeah, on second thought I think I'll pass. Why not just make a quiche, for gently caress's sake?

Cheesecake, cheesecake, every where,
Nor any bite to eat.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 00:52 on Nov 18, 2018

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

Because fructose is processed differently by the body than glucose. Specifically, fructose does not cause as much insulin secretion as glucose, which makes you more likely to gain weight from it. Also, it is readily converted to fat in the liver, potentially causing chirrosis.

Fructose is worse for you than glucose and therefore any type of sugar containing more fructose than glucose will be worse than regular refined sugar. (IIRC sucrose gets broken down to fructose and glucose in the stomach in about equal amounts)

So yes, it is marketed as a healthy, natural replacement for the evil unnatural refined sugar, but is in fact even worse!

I am not a doctor, so please read this paper about it: https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/76/5/911/4689540

Honestly ty

Have never heard a reasonable explanation for any real health difference

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

The Brits have indeed invented a Stilton cheesecake (also, and more recently and horribly, port and Stilton truffles).

First had a Port & Stilton truffle in the late '80's

It was the most repulsive thing I've ever tasted.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

Cavenagh posted:

First had a Port & Stilton truffle in the late '80's

It was the most repulsive thing I've ever tasted.

I...kinda do-not-detest port and Stilton. But I am very accustomed to the habit of dousing the dwindling Christmas Stilton with port until it becomes a spreadable paste, to be eaten on dry toast. What loon would add chocolate to the horrid, shameful habit? If anything, it makes the whole business less decadent.

Also, even in the culinary Hell-dimensions of the UK, you should not be able to cut macaroni cheese with a knife. We invented Cheddar, the perfect cheese for this dish, even though the Italians stubbornly refuse to admit it and insist that 'macaroni' is some bizarre jargon of their own.

Rollersnake posted:

Cheesecake, cheesecake, every where,
Nor any bite to eat.

“Since then, at an uncertain hour,
That agony returns:
And till my Recipe is told,
This heart within me burns.”

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

dousing the dwindling Christmas Stilton with port until it becomes a spreadable paste, to be eaten on dry toast

drat that actually sounds really good.

I was at a friend's place for a barbecue the other day and he made some snacks, one of which was a wheel of brie he sliced the top off, put it back on and then warmed up in the oven for ~10 minutes. It was incredibly good, we dipped crackers into it like it was a warm cheese dip.

Thinking about it for a second, I realise it's probably old news to the Americans, because isn't that basically just queso dip?

Memento has a new favorite as of 02:10 on Nov 18, 2018

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes...kah-recipe.html

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Could have been something very good, if they hadn't included the worst part of thanksgiving: the cranberry stuff. Nothing that plorps out of a can like that can be good.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Could have been something very good, if they hadn't included the worst part of thanksgiving: the cranberry stuff. Nothing that plorps out of a can like that can be good.

It calls for fresh cranberries?

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

You eat rear end.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

RoastBeef posted:

It calls for fresh cranberries?

most people i know say the canned stuff is the only "genuine" way to do it. But even fresh, I just don't get how it fits in thanksgiving. What does it even go with? Nothing. It's like serving strawberries with steak. It's a weird combination.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/spammm/status/828918473296375808

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Meat and fruit can work really well, though. The acidity and sweetness in cranberries plays really well with the flavor of turkey, especially if you get some crispy skin and herbs involved.

Like, you don't have to enjoy it, and it's fine that you don't, but there's a reason a lot of people do it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

most people i know say the canned stuff is the only "genuine" way to do it. But even fresh, I just don't get how it fits in thanksgiving. What does it even go with? Nothing. It's like serving strawberries with steak. It's a weird combination.

Sandwich Anarchist you have been summoned.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

puppets freak me out posted:

Meat and fruit can work really well, though. The acidity and sweetness in cranberries plays really well with the flavor of turkey, especially if you get some crispy skin and herbs involved.

Like, you don't have to enjoy it, and it's fine that you don't, but there's a reason a lot of people do it.

Pork and apples, sure. I've even seen salmon and strawberries work, but something about steak/poultry just doesn't work with fruit to me. All that "plays really well" or "sweetness/acidity cutting through the ____" poo poo sounds like meaningless garbage you'd hear on food network where they have to spread out "i thought it was ok" in to 3 minutes of analysis.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

im so hungry

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Sandwich Anarchist you have been summoned.

It's about balance. The trick to good food is balancing sweet, salty, sour, bitter, and fat. Cranberry sauce is made with orange zest usually, and a ton of sugar, so it covers sour, bitter and sweet, which helps balance the fat and salt in the turkey. Alot of food traditions and classic combinations are there for a reason, even if they are often not understood by most and executed poorly. Not to mention the fact that cranberries are a seasonal fall ingredient and were what was available during Thanksgiving.

Sandwich Anarchist has a new favorite as of 04:33 on Nov 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Some folks cook their turkey really dry too, in which case some wet cranberry sauce can soak in and juice things up.