Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Night10194 posted:

Well, you know, some of the best villains are the ones where the premise sounds reasonable and then their solution just goes right off the loving rails, eight o' clock, day one.

"The authorities don't deserve absolute power and the world would be better if it were more egalitarian and less violent." Good, good-

"Time to do a shitload of evil wizard stuff, then!" No, Simon, no!

Maybe, but he dove into full on “genocidal dark wizard” really quickly. Willing to wait centuries to murder humanity, but not to enact positive social change the moment he got burned for his beliefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Point of order, he wants to destroy society, not wipe out humanity. He's a 300-year-old magical anarcho-primitivist, but he's not entirely crazy.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, for context, he went mad after being imprisoned and tortured by his own church.

He's still enjoying being a dapper warlock motherfucker too much to ever really be 'this guy has him a point' (just ask Shanghai) but he's at least got a reasonable reason he went nuts.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
And a fairly reasonable point underneath it all, considering that two World Wars in less than half a century are coming up in the near future.

I kinda want to wonder if his method would maybe have had the lower body-count in the long run, but at that point, I feel like I'd be taking Punch Boy vs. Top Hat Wizard: The Game a bit more seriously than the game itself does. I mean, the series doesn't shy away from having some real hosed-up poo poo happen in depressingly real-feeling ways, but there's a limit.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 17, 2018

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Geostomp posted:

Maybe, but he dove into full on “genocidal dark wizard” really quickly. Willing to wait centuries to murder humanity, but not to enact positive social change the moment he got burned for his beliefs.
Enacting social reform takes actual effort and work. Murdering all humans is the :effort: option.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Bacon trolling the player making them think he's going to join is great. The old man owns.

But Yuri, you don't know what France is, how do you know of aliens? UFO's aren't a thing yet, are you going to tell me you picked up the word from your dad reading H.G. Wells? I'm on to your game of pretending to be dumb, pal.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Point of order, he wants to destroy society, not wipe out humanity. He's a 300-year-old magical anarcho-primitivist, but he's not entirely crazy.

A top hat is kind of a strange aesthetic for a man of his political beliefs. Although to be fair I don't think counterculture fashion was really a thing yet.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

BioMe posted:

A top hat is kind of a strange aesthetic for a man of his political beliefs. Although to be fair I don't think counterculture fashion was really a thing yet.

Smash the state and look dapper as hell while you do it

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

What exactly did Albert Simon get out of pretending to be Roger Bacon besides confusing people who played Koudelka? I don't remember that being resolved at any point coming up, and I don't have a good answer myself.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ultrafilter posted:

What exactly did Albert Simon get out of pretending to be Roger Bacon besides confusing people who played Koudelka? I don't remember that being resolved at any point coming up, and I don't have a good answer myself.

Roger Bacon is really famous in the occult underground of the setting, was always the impression I got. He was taking the rep, I think.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
simon's goal was pretty much what happened. no one really came looking for albert simon, instead searched exclusively for roger bacon. bacon was a hermit in wales, so no one was going to find him without koudelka specifically telling them his location.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Also you get to ruin Bacon's rep after he screwed you over back in the day.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Also you get to ruin Bacon's rep after he screwed you over back in the day.

I don't understand this statement and Yuri's "you kinda threw him under the bus" comment from the update. What did Roger Bacon do to Albert Simon besides teach him everything he knows and then try to convince him not to throw his life away by trying to change a social structure that wasn't ready for it? It was SIMON who betrayed Bacon by trying to get him condemned by the Church.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Albert Simon is younger, better looking and better dressed which makes him more trustworthy in my book.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Schwartzcough posted:

I don't understand this statement and Yuri's "you kinda threw him under the bus" comment from the update. What did Roger Bacon do to Albert Simon besides teach him everything he knows and then try to convince him not to throw his life away by trying to change a social structure that wasn't ready for it? It was SIMON who betrayed Bacon by trying to get him condemned by the Church.

Well if you see it from his point of view it might be a betrayal by a teacher who refused to stand by you when you needed them.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well if you see it from his point of view it might be a betrayal by a teacher who refused to stand by you when you needed them.

That does feel like a bit of a reach.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Roger Bacon is really famous in the occult underground of the setting, was always the impression I got. He was taking the rep, I think.

Definitely boosted the sales of The Anarchist's Spellbook

Not something you'd want to publish without a pseudonym either

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hunt11 posted:

Eh
Simon had his moment of humanization
He's going to die very messily from whatever crap hes going to try. Didnt even have the foresight that hed get conked on the head by flying rubble.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

Not really. Simon clearly has a fairly twisted perspective on life at this point and for someone who went through the kind of things he did, that's a conclusion it's fairly easy to imagine him coming to.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I mean it is actually pretty lovely of Roger not to try and bust Albert out of Pope Jail, because he was very capable of doing so.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Ah, the Tai Lung thing. Does this mean we'll get a scene of Albert beating up Bacon into saying sorry?

Accordion Man posted:

I mean it is actually pretty lovely of Roger not to try and bust Albert out of Pope Jail, because he was very capable of doing so.

To be fair, what can Bacon even do to bust Albert out of Pope Jail? He looks like a shriveled-up corpse and doesn't look like he knows how to even fight. I doubt he could have stormed Pope Jail all on his lonesome.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

amigolupus posted:

To be fair, what can Bacon even do to bust Albert out of Pope Jail? He looks like a shriveled-up corpse and doesn't look like he knows how to even fight. I doubt he could have stormed Pope Jail all on his lonesome.
Roger is a nearly 1000-year-old immortal wizard. Imagine that everything Albert can do now, Bacon could already do back then, and you're not going too far wrong.

So yeah, he totally could've had.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

amigolupus posted:

The Shadow Hearts Trilogy has Roger be a crazy skilled inventor that makes stuff centuries ahead of their time like we've already seen with his house, breaking somebody out of a medieval prison would be child's play for the dude.

Also what Cardiovorax said.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

You guys say it's so easy and simple to bust your buddy out of jail when you are an immortal wizard, but that's exactly where it all starts. The next thing you know you are summoning Satan to stop those plucky adventurers from overthrowing your god emperor throne.

better to quietly dedicate to science in some barren wasteland no sane person comes looking unless they actually really need your help

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Cardiovorax posted:

Roger is a nearly 1000-year-old immortal wizard. Imagine that everything Albert can do now, Bacon could already do back then, and you're not going too far wrong.

So yeah, he totally could've had.

Doesn't Albert's offensive magic come from his knowledge of dark magic? Bacon never really struck me as someone who bothered to learn any offensive magic or fighting moves.

Plus, it's Pope Jail. Assuming the pope himself doesn't come down on him, it's probably got tons of priests and bishops ready to use up their one-time Summon God spell to rapture themselves along with Bacon.

Accordion Man posted:

The Shadow Hearts Trilogy has Roger be a crazy skilled inventor that makes stuff centuries ahead of their time like we've already seen with his house, breaking somebody out of a medieval prison would be child's play for the dude.

Since this was 300 years ago, I'm gonna assume Bacon would have limited resources to come up with stuff. I guess he could come up with TNT? But then he'd still have to fight his way through Pope Jail.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

Doesn't Albert's offensive magic come from his knowledge of dark magic? Bacon never really struck me as someone who bothered to learn any offensive magic or fighting moves.
Some of it, I guess - gotta remember that Bacon is the original transcriber of the Emigré Manuscript. He knows his necromancy as well as anyone. Bacon strikes me as the sort to learn just about anything just for the pleasure of learning it, so I would think he can do at least that much.

I don't think teleporting people around is particularly evil, but then, I'm not a wizard. Maybe you need to invoke Yog-Sothoth for it, how would I know.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Albert Simon took his dang time. Or is there some cosmic confluence at work here?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, he did say keys like Alice and Koudelka come about once every century or so, so let's assume the first 100 years just to find out what to do, second 200 years to set everything up and then never manage to find the key of the time, and third 100 years being now.

Adds up fairly cleanly that way.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

You can do some fun stuff with the PC port of Killer7.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

TalkLittle posted:

Albert Simon is younger, better looking and better dressed which makes him more trustworthy in my book.

How is Albert Simon not a wiezened troll like Bacon if he's like 300 years old?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Speedball posted:

How is Albert Simon not a wiezened troll like Bacon if he's like 300 years old?

Probably time of attaining immortality. I imagine learning the trick took Bacon most of his natural life.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Accordion Man posted:

He also screwed over the Vatican by stealing the Emigre Manuscript after he transcribed it, so he obviously didn’t stay on good terms with the church.

That said, he really doesn’t seem like a fighter to me, and not just because he looks like a pile of sticks in the shape of a man wrapped in leather.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Roger was already hundreds of years old when he started teaching Albert. Even the flashback image is him as a shriveled little man. Give Albert another 300 years and he'd start looking like a mummy, too.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Has anyone ever told you you have pretty decent taste in games?

e: relevant link to Drakengard 2 playthrough https://lparchive.org/Drakengard-2/

TalkLittle fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 18, 2018

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I had no idea it was getting a PC Port :psyduck:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Glazius posted:

Albert Simon took his dang time. Or is there some cosmic confluence at work here?
Covenant gives a reason why he acts now, but yeah needing to find people like Koudelka or Alice first as well.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 18, 2018

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Stumbled across this;

Dehuai's Tower is a department store IRL. :lol:

The London map is harder to pin down - it's a generic aerial view of the Houses of Parliament/Westminster area - but with some heavily compressed/confused geography going on. Old Castle Street is next to (or in) St James' Park - with the actual Old Castle Street and Whitechapel on the other side of London - and the Orphange is in a group of what is now government offices and houses.

[e]:
How'd I miss these?

The Dark Id posted:

You can do some fun stuff with the PC port of Killer7.

:allears:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 18, 2018

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Accordion Man posted:

I wonder if the backstory is that Albert managed to convert his gaolers into his men while he was imprisoned, and that's why the prison basically belongs to him.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Accordion Man posted:

Did you forget that Albert just tried to have Bacon convicted by the church? THAT is what got the Vatican's eye on Albert in the first place and had him thrown in pope jail. Why should Bacon then go on some Rambo rescue mission for the guy that just betrayed him? gently caress that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Not to say it equals out, but he did that in response to Roger refusing to help him enact positive social change and improve the position of the common person, which Roger apparently still feels bad about, so... :shrug: